Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

OOnegative wrote: »
    Whatever about Tomlin, if Keith Butler doesn’t walk this off-season it’s a joke.

My fear is that if he was going to be sacked he would be gone by now. Looks like they are doing some window dressing by getting rid of position coaches.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Yeah, history shows they usually get rid of them all at once, soon after the season. Haley was ditched three days after last year's playoff, two this year within a week. So if they're not gone by now...

I don't think Tomlin should go, but Butler has to and the ST coach I think as well. There was very little offered by ST this season except penalties for stupid offences, no short fields, very few punt returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Broncos not letting go of trying to hire Munchak, if he goes it’s a massive loss to the team. Our O Line has been first class since he was hired.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/01/report-steelers-dc-keith-butler-could-have-expanded-coaching-role-in-2019/

Seems Butler is safe and is actually being given more responsibility if the above is accurate.

No more coaching changes expected unless they are enforced, Munchak would be a huge loss.

• Advertisement

Munchak confirmed gone to Broncos, FFS!!

Munchak seems to be purely a personal decision he has a daughter and grandkids in Denver and another daughter closeby. Hard to blame him.

The whole AB drama seems to be getting more toxic by the day. It’s hard to see him back in that locker room next season at this stage. Rooney all but put a for sale sign on him in an interview last week as well saying that the cap hit isn’t an issue and if a deal needs to be done they’ll find a way.

Will be very strange to see him in another uniform if it happens.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Saints out of the playoffs on the back of a controversial PI no-call. I'm sure Joe Haden was amused.:)

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/antonio-brown-seemingly-takes-cryptic-shot-at-steelers-organizations-got-the-fans-tricked/amp/

Fair enough the Steelers organization ain’t blameless in this nor were they with Bell, but a team of any kind doesn’t need this crap. Best receiver in the league bar nobody but fcuk me talk about an absolute diva. Go to the 49er’s you’ll win jack **** there to(no disrespect to 49er’s organization meant). But a pirck is a pirck in my language!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,033 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

The Steelers organization are closer to carrying all the blame for the situation they find themselves in than they are blameless.

From a player acting out standpoint, they’ve given so much free rein to so many guys in that locker room that this was bound to happen eventually. Even looking at AB alone, the amount of stuff he has gotten up to that the organization let slide (with the help from the local media). From a cap space perspective, they wouldn’t have such large potential dead cap issues if they didn’t decide to try to strong arm Bell and chose to restructure AB’s contract as a tool to help do so. Finally, they were fine with using the media to try to pressure Bell into signing the franchise tag so what’s good for the goose is good for the gander when it comes to a player now using the media against them.

• Advertisement

Foxtrol wrote: »
    The Steelers organization are closer to carrying all the blame for the situation they find themselves in than they are blameless.

From a player acting out standpoint, they’ve given so much free rein to so many guys in that locker room that this was bound to happen eventually. Even looking at AB alone, the amount of stuff he has gotten up to that the organization let slide (with the help from the local media). From a cap space perspective, they wouldn’t have such large potential dead cap issues if they didn’t decide to try to strong arm Bell and chose to restructure AB’s contract as a tool to help do so. Finally, they were fine with using the media to try to pressure Bell into signing the franchise tag so what’s good for the goose is good for the gander when it comes to a player now using the media against them.

As I said not saying the Steelers are blameless in either case, AB wants to go, let him go. I know there’s business behind all of this and i’m naive in that subject. Bell was standing up for himself and other future RBs going forward, plain greedy is what he was doing. I know you understand the whole workings of an NFL organization a whole lot better than myself but that’s how I view the situations. Ridicule me if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,033 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

As I said not saying the Steelers are blameless in either case, AB wants to go, let him go. I know there’s business behind all of this and i’m naive in that subject. Bell was standing up for himself and other future RBs going forward, plain greedy is what he was doing. I know you understand the whole workings of an NFL organization a whole lot better than myself but that’s how I view the situations. Ridicule me if you like.

I'm not sure where you see the ridiculing from what I posted.

I continue to not understand why fans put most of the blame on players in these situations rather than taking a look at the Organization and their billionaire owners. Calling the players every name under the sun while just saying the Organization isn't 'blameless'.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    I'm not sure where you see the ridiculing from what I posted.

I continue to not understand why fans put most of the blame on players in these situations rather than taking a look at the Organization and their billionaire owners. Calling the players every name under the sun while just saying the Organization isn't 'blameless'.

I said twice in my post the Steelers aren’t blameless in either situation, AB or Bell. Neither player is blameless either, Bell in my opinion is because he’s a money grabber & AB because he sees JuJu as a threat so he needs to jump ship to another team where he’s the centre of attention again. Me saying what I said about AB is frustration, 6 round risk by Steelers to best WR in the NFL, nobody else seemingly was willing to take a punt on him.......

Don’t claim to be an expert on contracts in the NFL myself but does anybody see this escalating in to an ugly sit out next season?

Given the Steelers hold all the leverage here what on earth is he doing with all this stuff on social media. He is killing his trade value, who is going to give up a good pick to bring that circus in to their organisation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Don’t claim to be an expert on contracts in the NFL myself but does anybody see this escalating in to an ugly sit out next season?

Given the Steelers hold all the leverage here what on earth is he doing with all this stuff on social media. He is killing his trade value, who is going to give up a good pick to bring that circus in to their organisation?
    The dead cap for the Steelers is an issue, unless they get at least a 1st, there isn’t much value in trading him. So I could def see a sit out occurring.

The dead cap for the Steelers is an issue, unless they get at least a 1st, there isn’t much value in trading him. So I could def see a sit out occurring.

Yeah I understand the dead cap was more referring to Foxtrols comment about the restructuring.

I think this could get very ugly, what a pity. That team had enough talent to win a SuperBowl. Chance is well gone now

With Bell gone and Brown hopefully following suit soon enough what’s everyone’s opinion on the team now? See in a few places people are predicting it will be Tomlin’s first losing season as Steelers coach? Needs at LB, CB and WR in the draft anyway.

With Bell gone and Brown hopefully following suit soon enough what’s everyone’s opinion on the team now? See in a few places people are predicting it will be Tomlin’s first losing season as Steelers coach? Needs at LB, CB and WR in the draft anyway.

Depends on the draft and free agency. They still have good players on both lines and a good QB. Most of Bens INTS last season were on attempts to Brown who threw a fit if he wasn’t targeted even in double coverage. Spread the ball around more and get a seasoned RB to rotate in with Connor and Samuels and draft or get a WR in FA. You can’t replace Brown but everyone else needs to step up. I really doubt they’ll have a losing season tbh.

The defence needs the most work, they haven’t replaced Shazier and Burns is a bust I think most people agree at this stage. At least they have some room in FA now and may get a high second for Brown depending on who they do a deal with.

Biggest question of all is around coaching, and specifically how the new defensive coach and OL coach settle in. Losing Munchak could have a huge impact yet.

Marcus Gilbert gone to the Cards for a 6th round pick. Good business signing Pouncey & Foster to new contracts.

On another note, what does it tell you about AB when the need-any kind of player Bills pull out of a potential trade for him? Has he killed any potential decent trade partners with his social media antics? Again i’ll say a fantastic player but absolute head-da-ball to boot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,557 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

On another note, what does it tell you about AB when the need-any kind of player Bills pull out of a potential trade for him? Has he killed any potential decent trade partners with his social media antics? Again i’ll say a fantastic player but absolute head-da-ball to boot.

I don't know if he's been on about still wanting a new deal on social media but why would any team in the league trade and give away picks for a player unless he's fully happy with the deal and if not will just not show up ? I don't blame the bills tbh.

I wouldn’t blame any team for walking away after all that drama and the fact he wants a big new contract at 31.

They’ll probably get a cut price deal done with Oakland in the end but what a pity all around that it has to end this way in Pittsburgh for him.

AB gone to the Raiders for a third and a fifth in 2019 apparently. Brown is also getting his new guaranteed contract once he moves.

Not a great return for him is it? Hopefully the Steelers use the picks wisely.

https://twitter.com/greggrosenthal/status/1105588457538117632?s=21

Well this would be embarrassing

Also Steelers have signed CB Steven Nelson for three years €25m should be an upgrade opposite Haden

Also Steelers have signed CB Steven Nelson for three years €25m should be an upgrade opposite Haden

To sound like a bitter ex-fan, delighted for him, greed gets you nowhere!!

Nelson hopefully a big upgrade on Burns who’s been a bust.

To sound like a bitter ex-fan, delighted for him, greed gets you nowhere!!

Nelson hopefully a big upgrade on Burns who’s been a bust.

Yep and he’ll likely get battered to pieces behind that Swiss cheese oline. I’m strongly considering trying to make the @Jets game, this would make it even better

Now that corner is sorted presumably they’ll go ILB in round one and try to trade up in rd 2 maybe for a safety or WR? There isn’t really any money to replace Brown in FA

If they can sort out that defence (and kicker!) they can still be relevant in 2019 IMO

Donte Moncrief inked a 2 year deal, will provide some experience at WR.

Donte Moncrief inked a 2 year deal, will provide some experience at WR.

No details yet. 700 yards last season in a pretty dysfunctional jags offence. If he can get 6-8 touchdowns and provide some of the deep threat that Brown did then happy days.

They are probably hoping that Washington will have a breakout year but can’t count on it I suppose.

Figures quoted:

14.5 million year 1, 26 million through year 2, 39.5 million through year 3. Plus 8 million signing bonus and 25 million guaranteed.

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/steeiernation/status/1106262170063552514?s=21

Houston would be awesome but hard to see how they can free up enough money

Advertisement