Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Truth about Craft Beers...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 854 ✭✭✭dubscottie

Cienciano wrote: »
    Even though the wiki claim has 4 references and I also posted a link the the Guardian and Smithsonian institute which you choose to ignore. Yes, "wake up sheeple" :rolleyes:

Not a sheep.. Just some random person on the net that knows you are talking bollox..

Random links and lazy journalism don't count.. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

dubscottie wrote: »
    London Pride is produced in the same place as Bishops finger..

Didn't know that. I much prefer the London Pride, more malty taste off it.

Eutow wrote: »
    Didn't know that. I much prefer the London Pride, more malty taste off it.

I like London Pride also.. They are real English ales.. Nothing fancy, just good beer. (and mass produced)

Macro.. New term to me.. Any "craft" beer lover care to explain..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I love London Pride, but London Porter is even better :D Nice malty goodness!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Baby Jane

The reverse snobbery towards craft beer is as tedious as snobbery towards mass produced beers in my opinion.
    I like some craft beers I've tried, and not others. I think Bud, Coors and Carling are awful. I like Heineken, Carlsberg and Tiger though.
    Depends on the individual drink/person.
    Opinion isn't "the truth". :)

Baby Jane wrote: »
    The reverse snobbery towards craft beer is as tedious as snobbery towards mass produced beers in my opinion.
    I like some craft beers I've tried, and not others. I think Bud, Coors and Carlsberg are awful. I like Heineken, Carlsberg and Tiger though.
    Depends on the individual drink.
    Opinion isn't "truth". :)

This is what gets on my pisser.. The term "craft"..

They are not "craft" beers as they buy stuff in.

Micro brewery or real ale is the right term to use.

The Carlow crowd that now own pubs are selling "real Ale" (poor quality at that) but selling it under the "craft" tag.

As I said.. Trade Descriptions Act..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

The term "craft" should probably be added to that other term "hipster" as two of the most annoying terms in the 21st century. Two terms that are put out there willy nilly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I associate the words craft beer with knob ends, I do enjoy the taste of some craft beer but hearing some muppet go on about puts me off frequenting craft beer bars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

conorh91 wrote: »
    No, I'm not.

I'm saying that there are craft beers that are brewed using rice.

You are changing your tune now, you said there were "plenty" of craft beers brewed with rice. Actually from the list you posted I can only see two that are in active production.
    And since craft beers are all about taste (which is why many of us like craft beers), some brewers see rice as having a valuable role in taste.
    Some do, others like Bud don't use it for taste reasons. If they genuinely brewed for taste, then why do they want it served as cold as possible? Answer? So that customer can't actually taste it. Same story with Guinness.
    Now if some mass-producers are using rice, we can't simply knock rice in brewing, simply because they're using it for cost reasons. Clearly, a significant number of craft brewers think rice is a tasteful brewing agent, whatever the intentions of the mass-producer.

Some fine restaurants serve bulls testicles, carefully prepared as a delicacy. However that doesn't mean that making sausages from 57% bull balls equates to a quality product. Surely you can see the difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

This is what gets on my pisser.. The term "craft"..

They are not "craft" beers as they buy stuff in.

Micro brewery or real ale is the right term to use.

The Carlow crowd that now own pubs are selling "real Ale" (poor quality at that) but selling it under the "craft" tag.

As I said.. Trade Descriptions Act..

Yeah but in all fairness, these guys that run these breweries that make an actual decent product do not have the financial backing of heavily endorsed advertising such as the likes of Guinness, Heineken etc. They probably use the term 'craft' to give themselves a niche in the market, a market which is essentially a Diageo corporation franchised racket. All that $hite is meaningless anyways, if you find a drink or food you like yourself, then whats the problem? Stop drinking it because some strangers think its 'hipsterish' lol come on seriously

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I'm pretty sure you don't know what the word "random" means

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,557 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Too often "hipster" is used in lieu of "someone who's dressed differently and has different interests to me. Let's get'im fellas"

I like trying new beers. Suppose that makes me an arzehole hipster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

I'm fond of Sierra Nevada and Galway Bay.

Anyone think a craft beer called Tobruk would be a winner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Wang King wrote: »
    Anyone think a craft beer called Tobruk would be a winner

It would have to be an ice cold lager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

It's funny. If some of the views here were applied to other products, people wouldn't be caught dead saying it.

'I love Rihanna. Anybody that listens to anything else is a fart-sniffing, wanker hipster.'

'I love burger and chips. Anybody that's into the entire range of food available in the world that isn't burgers is a pretentious arsehole.'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

It would have to be an ice cold lager.

Wrong film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Not a sheep.. Just some random person on the net that knows you are talking bollox..

Perhaps you could tell us exactly what does go into Guinness seeing as you are so sure what doesn't go into it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

anncoates wrote: »
    It's funny. If some of the views here were applied to other products, people wouldn't be caught dead saying it.

'I love Rihanna. Anybody that listens to anything else is a fart-sniffing, wanker hipster.'

'I love burger and chips. Anybody that's into the entire range of food available in the world that isn't burgers is a pretentious arsehole.'

likewise, if someone referred to dairy milk as a macro chocolate they'd be laughed out the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

likewise, if someone referred to dairy milk as a macro chocolate they'd be laughed out the door.

But pretty much anyone would agree than dairymilk is mass produced, cheaply, with very little actual cocoa solids and as such is massively inferior to the likes of Lindt or Lilly O'Briens.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31 yumyum10

I've given craft beers a go and all the ones I tasted were hoppy and sweet like Smithwicks Pale Ale. Rotten!. Give me a good proper creamy Smithwicks or ice cold Heineken with a proper head in a pub with good pints any day. I also like some of the Belgian beers like Duvel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

yumyum10 wrote: »
    I've given craft beers a go and all the ones I tasted were hoppy and sweet like Smithwicks Pale Ale.

You should go for the porters and darker ales rather the pale ales then if that's your preference.

I think it's hilarious then way some people (not necessarily you yumyum10) seem to think that 'craft beer' is one type of beer. And if they try one and hate it they then will hate them all.

It'd be like someone saying they tried Guinness once, didn't like it and so will not try Budweiser.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31 yumyum10

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    You should go for the porters and darker ales rather the pale ales then if that's your preference.

I think it's hilarious then way some people (not necessarily you yumyum10) seem to think that 'craft beer' is one type of beer. And if they try one and hate it they then will hate them all.

It'd be like someone saying they tried Guinness once, didn't like it and so will not try Budweiser.

I think your hilarious making assumptions. I've tried stout, bout 10 different dark ales, different beers and all taste like white to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

You've probably made more posts like that in this thread than there have been people espousing a blanket anti craft-beer mindset.

We. Get. It.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Lakefrio wrote: »
    Most people don't like the taste of beer so craft beer just confuses them.
    +1, I remember a guy being truly puzzled when I said I like a beer with a curry. To him it was simply a recreational drug that he forced down. Like most people would not like the taste of ecstacy pills. So to these people it would be like going out and looking for even stronger versions of this horrible tasting substance. Many seek out the most flavourless version for this reason and there is great money in it.
    Never tried one, never will. I like wine. I'm a wino. If Jesus had turned the water into beer, I'd follow his tip. He picked wine. Mainly as it tastes nicer.
    In the journal Biblical Archaeological Review, Michael Homan argues that many biblical scholars have misinterpreted early texts, translating to 'wine' when the more sensible translation is 'beer'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

jetsonx wrote: »
    As we all know, there has been an explosion in the number of craft beers available on the market.

But very few of these are actually nice. (nicer than Bud, Coors etc but that would not be too hard) Most are too watery, too hoppy or just lack any sort of decent flavor.

There are of course exceptions. Five Lamps is a tasty brew as is Red Rebel but other ones which I've tasted have stood out for being totally unremarkable, forgettable or just insipid.

The fact of the matter is most, not all, craft beers su@k.

What do you think?

Rebel Red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

The truth about craft beer is that I like some of them a lot, and don't like others at all. This one is bloody delicious, and I'll bring a few cans home for my family when I go back. There are some others that are great, and some others that are pretty poor.

I've never really got the 'tastes like piss' argument about Heineken, Carlsberg, etc. They taste completely inoffensive to me - the kind of thing that anybody could drink - which is exactly what I'd imagine they are designed to be.

You've probably made more posts like that in this thread than there have been people espousing a blanket anti craft-beer mindset.

We. Get. It.

Bit strange of me contributing on topic to the thread, I guess.

Tl;dr don't fcuking read my posts if you don't want to?

don't fcuking read my posts if you don't want to?
    Jeez relax. Crack open a Heineken or something man.

Jeez relax. Crack open a Heineken or something man.

Keep socking it to the crafts or PC brigade or whatever numpty peeves you have in your head while the grown ups have a discussion here.

osarusan wrote: »
    This one is bloody delicious, and I'll bring a few cans home for my family when I go back.

Love it! Friends brought back some cans for us, lovely stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Links234 wrote: »
    Love it! Friends brought back some cans for us, lovely stuff

Just finished a can of it about 10 minutes ago! :pac:

If you get a chance to try this one, go for it.

The truth about craft beer is that I like some of them a lot, and don't like others at all. This one is bloody delicious, and I'll bring a few cans home for my family when I go back. There are some others that are great, and some others that are pretty poor.

I've never really got the 'tastes like piss' argument about Heineken, Carlsberg, etc. They taste completely inoffensive to me - the kind of thing that anybody could drink - which is exactly what I'd imagine they are designed to be.

Most lager is supposed to be cold and easy to drink. That's why it's such a decent drink for slugging down on a warm day. I myself like a lager.

I think in general, the term craft beer is awful and is being seized upon to overkill and often inaccurately. In a decade it'll probably be a redundant term. It'll just be people going to pubs and being able to drink Heineken, Guinness and XYZ extensive range of other beers.

yumyum10 wrote: »
    I think your hilarious making assumptions. I've tried stout, bout 10 different dark ales, different beers and all taste like white to me.

I specifically said I wasn't talking about you there.

But if you drank a stout and it tasted like a pale ale to you then maybe you should get your taste buds checked out because there's something gone funny with them.

That's not about craft beer versus mass produced beer that's the wiring in your brain going wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Baby Jane

O'Haras stout I don't understand the love for - found it awful the one time I drank it.
    Therefore, based on my individual experience, people who like it don't really like it and are just being hipsters.

Keep socking it to the crafts or PC brigade or whatever numpty peeves you have in your head while the grown ups have a discussion here.
    Aww I was only joking about the Heineken. Hope I didn't offend you. You stay drinking that O’Haras Leann Follain and don't listen to what all the big boys are saying.

Therefore, based on my individual experience, people who like it don't really like it and are just being hipsters.

I concur.

Because as we all know tastes do not differ.

I like the strong stout they do. Leann Follain.

Just finished a can of it about 10 minutes ago! :pac:

If you get a chance to try this one, go for it.

Referel denied... what was it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

'Craft', like 'Artisan' and 'Home Made' is just some wankology word that people who operate high cost base businessness which can't compete on price use to justify charging a premium price for their mediocre produce.

Have you ever heard of a fine vineyard in France offering 'Craft wine'? For fk sake!!

There's no dark mysterious art to brewing. There's nobody stirring a cauldron of mysterious elixir tasting the wort and adding a pinch of hops and a sprinkle of malt to get the mixture just right. Commercial brewing is process engineering, plain and simple. Plenty of 'craft' brewers in Ireland are not process engineers, have no technical capability, are using poxy equipment bought on a shoestring budget with the result that their product tastes like it was fermented in a horse's bowel.

That said, some of them do produce good beer. The 'craft' beer movement, despite all the wankology associated with it, is a good thing, because it equals more variety in pubs and off licences and local brands that people can get behind.

Often times I'll buy my beer in Aldi. The O'Sheas Irish Red is pretty much just O'Haras Red, and I really like it, so it's a grand job for the price. ;)

If drinking Aldi branded ales is poncey hipsterish wankery snobbish cork-sniffing, then I don't even wanna know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

I was in Aldi this morning and I usually buy the rheinbacher pils but was looking at those you mentioned Links. Was gonna give them a try but it was before half 12 :/ I'll grab them next time I'm in and report back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

What annoys me is that my local off licence used to have a fantastic selection of German beers, anything you could think of and loads of rarer types, not so much anymore as they've been replaced by hipster **** that comes in tiny bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

pauliebdub wrote: »
    What annoys me is that my local off licence used to have a fantastic selection of German beers, anything you could think of and loads of rarer types, not so much anymore as they've been replaced by hipster **** that comes in tiny bottles.

Hipster Ha Ha poor fool

Can we all just agree that anyone using the word "hipster" in 2015 is a bit sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

MadsL wrote: »
    Can we all just agree that anyone using the word "hipster" in 2015 is a bit sad.

No. It was valid in 1985 and has been ever since.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

But what will people use to describe things that are different and new?

• Advertisement

But what will people use to describe things that are different and new?

Hoopla?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Selfish Giant

O'Haras stout I don't understand the love for - found it awful the one time I drank it.

Your individual experience has led you to conclude what other people do and don't like? That is an extroardinarily stupid thing to say.

Your individual experience has led you to conclude what other people do and don't like? That is an extroardinarily stupid thing to say.

Read that post again with your sarcasm detector turned back on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

Why?

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    No. It was valid in 1985 and has been ever since.

Gotcha. Any male with long hair is a damn beatnik.
    Valid in 1967 and has been ever since.

• Advertisement
Advertisement