Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

We're all surely old enough to know that contraception is never 100%, or that condoms slip off, or women forget their pill, or you just get carried away in the heat of the moment, or something more sinister happens.

But of course access to contraception is also in the firing line...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Can anyone recommend a good VPN that works on Windows and Android? Want to watch Glasto this evening and I have to work. A bloody nuisance they don't allow Sky Go carry the channels.

I bought Mozilla's VPN last year and it's terrible. Can't even watch the iPlayer. Anyone else used a good one that's reasonably priced?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Or that a lot of guys won’t wear condoms. That drunk sex happens. That many things such as antibiotics and alcohol affect the reliability of the pill.

Simple fact is, if men got pregnant, we wouldn’t even be having this discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,008 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

A decision made by a majority of 9 people.

3 of whom were appointed by a twice impeached president who could very well end up in jail.

5 of whom were appointed by presidents who lost the popular vote.

6 of whom were confirmed by a republican-led Senate that did not even account for half the population of the country.

This is quantifiable theocratic fascism being enacted in the world's most powerful country. Whatever your view is about abortion, or when life starts, or what situations justify termination, who should pay, etc. etc., the majority of Americans support Roe v Wade. A Christian Right minority did not, and engineered a political coup via the judiciary. We should all be absolutely terrified that the majority will of a democracy can be so unashamedly denied by people still operating on bronze-age moral values.

Condoms are next. Gay marriage is next. Premarital sex is next. Science and evolutionary teaching is next. Before long we can also bid farewell to pluralism, humanism or the right to think for ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,179 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

• Advertisement

I think you're wrong! Abortion will be an option and should be. The Christian minority will be a thing of the past. Religion is losing its impetus. I know so few people who attend church, or are religious in any shape or form.

There's no doubt that America is fucked! We have a herd of fcuktards in all positions of power. We get what we vote for! ****! No matter what side of the spectrum you observe, you see corruption, stupidity and a lack of concern for ALL.

ABORTION is a piece of a jigsaw that's getting more fcuked every year! 🤔

Just noticed on my newsfeed that a pride parade was shot up in Oslo. Apparently a hate crime?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Pride would probably wind up fundamentalist Muslims and make this sort of think more likely, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,008 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

"Abortion is an option and should be"

The second part of this statement is true. The first part is, unfortunately, not true. Or very soon to be not true.

The specific details are here, but in effect, this Supreme Court decision will soon make abortion illegal in 13 states. 5 have already declared it illegal, but needed the Supreme Court ruling for their state's attorney general to enforce it. Others were waiting for the SC decision before declaring it illegal.

Those 13 states sum to a population of approximately 70 million people, or ~35 million women.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I use Express. It's not free, but it's pretty good for me so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭b.gud

If it was up to me to be in charge of the timely regular taking of a pill to prevent unwanted pregnancy I dread to think of the amount of times sex would have been unsafe

• Registered Users Posts: 5,910 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Have you discovered 100% successful contraception? If so, you need to let the world know about it. There are no guarantees in any form known. Also, how many unwanted pregnancies are there in those who are really still children and who don't possess the intellectual maturity to understand the consequences of their actions. 12-year-olds, 13-year-olds, 14-year-olds, 15-year-olds, 16-year-olds. Who is going to look after their best interests? Not brainless, fascist half-wits like Trump, Cruz et al.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭OldRio

Well it winds up fundamentalist Christians. Your point is?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Abortion can be required for a host of reasons. Unwanted pregnancies is just one of those. Contraception doesn’t work 100% of the time when it’s used and even in those scenarios where a couple doesn’t use it, why should the woman be the one that pays the price for that?

Its very, very easy for men to comment on things like these when we don’t really have a clue about what’s involved or what’s at stake. Forcing a woman to carry a baby to term when they do not want to is cruel. The day to day impacts on them, from things like possible morning sickness to the inevitable hormonal impacts to the possible complications that can arise over the course of the pregnancy that can lead of difficulties doing the most basic things like walking to health issues to the mother etc. These are all things that no man goes through and things far too many men seem willing to ignore. Even giving birth is a painful and sometimes dangerous process. Some of the side effects to it can leave women unable to sit down properly for months such is the damage and pain they go through. When are men ever forced to endure something like that? In this scenario the man can easily have his fun and walk away. It takes two for this to happen, but only 1 person is forced to pay the price.

And all this so that Conservatives can care so much about the unborn and then so little about those fetuses once they become children. They want more guns and more kids in a country that already has a name for kids being killed by guns. There’s really only one way this is all going. And then these same Conservatives will claim they can do nothing other than offer prayers. Kids dying is only political when they are in the womb. Not when they are out of it.

Boys! I'm just saying I don't think it's a right. I understand the complexities involved. I know about post partum depression etc. All I am saying is contraception would eliminate some abortions. I'm not anti abortions. I think the decision is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Did ye watch Paul McCartney at Glastonbury last night? Some man for 80. A brilliant gig that's well worth a watch. You can get them all on iPlayer if you know how to get that.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Do you mean you don't think it should be free or it should be banned? It's really hard to know what you're saying

The only effective contraception would be give all boys over 12 a vasectomy. Then reverse it when they’re ready to have children. Can you imagine all these white men signing up to that?

No it shouldn't be banned. It should be free for the poor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

So you agree that people should be allowed to have abortions if they so desire/need. So almost like you're saying that people have a right to an abortion?

No! I don't believe it's a right. If a person can afford one, then good. For the poor it should be free.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

So you're saying you don't know what 'right' means?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Worth noting that there's no right to abortion in Ireland either, it's totally up to legislators to decide, exactly as it is in the US.

The problem is the legislators in those states.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Having a right to something doesn't mean it has to be free - there aren't gun banks for impoverished wannabe gun owners in the States. I think it should be free, but in this context it just means it can't be completely restricted. Many places had already gone out of their way to make it as difficult as possible of course.

Its something that should have been codified in federal law many moons ago of course. Though who knows whether that would have helped I guess.

Worth noting that there's no right to abortion in Ireland either, it's totally up to legislators to decide, exactly as it is in the US.

Fair point. Equally as bonkers as the SC decision itself.

It seems like what you're trying to say is that you don't feel it should be a constitutionally enumerated right, but the ninth amendment (and arguably the 14th) to the US constitution specifically allows for the concept of unenumerated rights, of which this indsiputably should be one.

Are there are other medical treatments that you feel shouldn't be a right?

No. Is vasectomy a right? How about a liver transplant? Or liposuction or any medical procedure.

Medical treatment is a slippery slope. What about botox treatment. Or boob jobs.

Yes, individuals do have the right to obtain all of these medical procedures. It's not a specifically enumerated right, but the right exists nonetheless.

• Advertisement

We're going round and round in circles here. You keep listing out different types of medical procedures, that for whatever reason you think people do not have the right to obtain.

FWIW, yes, people do have the right to obtain all of those procedures you're listing off.

Do you not think an abortion is a medical treatment?

Advertisement