Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭b.gud

I'm 3 episodes into this season are any of those spoilers safe for me to click?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭MaybeMaybe

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭b.gud

In that case I probably already know what they are about :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,345 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Is it released periodically or are they all out yet?

I'm not sure I can go back to not being able to binge shows to be honest. I get they might like to keep the office water cooler conversation going over weeks and all, but that's for them not me and I don't like it.

The Boys is released weekly but the first 3 were released on the same day. This is an 8 episode season, 5 are out already

• Advertisement

Ah same as before, grand so. Thanks. Will probably wait until they're all released to go through it. That reminds me, have to finish the Expanse for the same reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Itxa

On another note “Only Murders in the Building” has been very enjoyable watch and for anyone who is an aficionado of Martin Short (Three Amigos, Three Fugitives and best of all Innerspace in the late 80’s early 90’s) and of course Steve Martin (Freddy Bensen and latterly Ruprecht in Dirty Rotten Scoundrels) it is a throwback. Season 2 is out 28 June.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭hold my beer

The Umbrella Academy S3 out now too, but they're drip feeding episodes. An unusual but excellent show

why so uncomfortable with that scene? it wasn't even that out of place in the show overall

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Enjoying the new season of the Umbrella Academy also. Some good new TV

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,903 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Obi Wan Kenobi isn't worth watching. The writing is so poor. Vadar is made out to be a moron, as is the other antagonist, Reva.

You can forgive poor writing if the action on the screen was passable, but it's not even that. There are scenes in the show, edited so badly that it causes genuine confusion to the viewer. Also, everything in the show looks so cheap. Like they had no budget and had to cut corners. Most of the fight scenes are shot in the dark, in what are clearly sound stages. There's no energy and little in the way of continuity in editing to make the action pop.

The difference in production quality between this and Disney's other new show, Ms Marvel is staggering. The latter is bombastic, contains a lot of clever editing and CGI tricks and is just pretty entertaining to watch in general.

It's too simplistic an analysis, but Ms Marvel is a show made by people who know what they're doing in a technical sense. They're also clearly passionate about the character and want to do right by her. Whereas Obi Wan Kenobi seems like a show where the team just didn't care about what they were presenting on screen and it seeped into the technical aspects. The direction and editing is just awful.

I stopped watching after the ridiculous "chase scene" in the forest in the first episode.

Same with the power rangers chase scene in the Boba series.

Make a bit of an effort and I'd cosider it but that was just shite.

Ha ha... the pre warning for the latest episode of the boys

• Registered Users Posts: 17,766 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Ah Clegg Clegg Clegg! Different strokes for different folks but I think you're wrong on so much here!

The last episode is fantastic. "That" scene...quite emotional actually.

Was it perfect? Of course not. But Ewam McGregor is excellent throughout. But really any Star Wars fan should have enjoyed much of that series, particularly the final two episodes.

I think some either had ridiculous expectations or just take Star Wars way too seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,766 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Yeah that chase scene wasn't great, the show definitely isn't perfect, you don't learn anything we disnt already know, although the show does tie up the odd loose end from ANH.

Honestly I'd say you've missed out if you wrote it off because of that scene. But maybe not. Depends on your tastes I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

The show def had issues. That chase scene, the episode where they are being chased on the crime planet where the editing was truly awful (Reva with big action moves that teased an encounter that didn’t happen plus Obi Wan all but teleporting from the top of a building to the bottom!), the whole Leia thing leaving her actions in ANH making feck all sense and everything about Reva in that last episode were all big problems. But there were good bits too. And the big finale encounter was great.

Def worth watching overall as a Star Wars fan but Disney are really struggling with the franchise at this stage I think. There’s been so many opportunities for great things, but so few great things produced. We’re left with great moments here and there with the Mandalorian being the best TV show by far (despite a wobbly second season) and Rogue One being the best movie by some distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

They got the big moments in Obi Wan right which thankfully outweigh the bad moments. The parkour scene, the chase scene etc. - haven't a clue what they were thinking with those bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,903 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I know there's a no politics rule here. But I think something has to be said about the current political and cultural devolution occurring in America. They're regressing decades as a society. The constant stream of gun murders is only the top of the iceberg.

Roe Vs Wade has now officially been overturned. So the Federal right to abortion is abolished. Yesterday the Supreme Court also rolled back their incredibly lax gun control laws. And in the judgement overturning Wade, Justice Thomas also said they should look at rights surrounding contraception and same sex marriages.

That country is an utter shitheap.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,261 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

ageed, the country is going backwards at a rate of knots...

and id argue that a topic like this isn't "Politics (with a capital P)" its a Human Rights issue.

each state is now free to make their own abortion laws and you can be guaranteed that in the gun totting red states their laws are going to be severely conservative and i wouldn't be surprised for some states to make it so difficult to obtain an abortion that it will in effect remove them completely as a medical procedure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

getting this vibe ^

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I don't get why abortion is a right! I agree it should be available and access should be there for those who need it. But, a right? I'd rather spend my tax money elsewhere.

I just don't get why people just can't use contraception! Sadly, most abortions are performed for low income people. Obviously, in cases of rape, incest or harm to the mother, abortion should be an option but, wouldn't providing the pill to women be better!

I do not support or oppose abortion. I fail to get my head around the notion that it's a right.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Your entire post is a contradiction of itself.

And this conversation will inevitably be shut down in any case.

"Frenchie's going to be heartbroken he missed this" 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭jacothelad

People have an absolute right to be able to control what happens within and to their body. No one should be content to have many thousands of unwanted children born each year to the poorest in your society when there are alternatives. Too many men want to be able to control women and sadly many cretinous Republican dinosaurs revel in such degrading behaviour. Safe medical procedures are a right for every one... at least in a modern, civilised society. Sadly, parts of the USA are receding back to the Middle Ages.

Still, on an appalling plus side, it'll mean big business as there will be a few tens of thousands more babies for sale in the US. Just what the doctor didn't order. Even more fodder for the gun toting brain-dead morons to use as target practice.

Post edited by jacothelad on

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

More guns. More guns in public. Less womens rights. Open discussion of less contraception, restriction of same sex marriage and even restriction of same sex relationships as a whole. Going backwards at a rate of knots. How anyone doesn’t see it for what it is I’ll never know. A failed experiment that is eating itself alive.

Wouldn't easier access to birth control solve most of this? I suppose a woman can control her pregnancy issues by using birth control.

I am not saying that abortion is wrong. Or right. It's just that birth control and contraception would limit the amount of unwanted pregnancies.

To be honest, I do know people that have had abortions, for various reasons.

If someone is at the point where they want/need an abortion, then clearly birth control doesn't "solve" it.

This is basic stuff.

But would the abortion be an issue if precautions were taken.

If someone is pregnant and then decides they don't want the baby then abortion should be an option.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,261 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

do you seriously think there is a significant number of people out there who think abortion is an alternative to contraception?

Advertisement