Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 All Ireland Senior Football Championship MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,577 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Barlett wrote: »
    He's a good forward but is such a consistent free taker that it makes him an excellent player in my opinion. Changes a team, knowing that they have someone who will put a free over the bar regularly.

A great free taker except when it matters like in All Ireland Finals very near the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭recyclebin

He's had a few niggly injuries the last few years but seems to be better than ever this championship. Not just frees either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Barlett

A great free taker except when it matters like in All Ireland Finals very near the end.

Every game in the Championship matters

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Minor and U20 GAA championships set to resume before Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Minor and U20 GAA championships set to resume before Christmas

Where did you see that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Where did you see that?

Statement from Dublin CCC:

The following has been decided in relation to outstanding 2020 Dublin club games /competitions as a result of the current Covid-19 Level 5 restrictions, which are in place until December 1st and the winter close down of Public Parks/usual pitch conditions in December / early January.

Cup Competitions: All Dublin Cup competitions have been discontinued. Outstanding games will not be played.

Under 21 Championships: The CCC has decided to abandon its plans to play the 2020 Dublin Under 21 Football and Hurling Club Championships.

Minor Championships: Outstanding Dublin Minor Championship fixtures in both Hurling and Football have been deferred until mid-January 2021 at the earliest. The remaining games are to be scheduled from January 17th 2021 subject to any guidance from Government / NPHET and /or Croke Park which is in place at that time, and subject to Dublin's Minor Hurling inter-county Championship commitments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

recyclebin wrote: »
    He's had a few niggly injuries the last few years but seems to be better than ever this championship. Not just frees either.

He doesn't have the pace of 5-6 years ago but has found a slightly different role, and it's working pretty effectively. I backed him at 40/1 for footballer of the year the morning of the Roscommon game, fingers crossed he has a couple of good games yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭flasher0030

He doesn't have the pace of 5-6 years ago but has found a slightly different role, and it's working pretty effectively. I backed him at 40/1 for footballer of the year the morning of the Roscommon game, fingers crossed he has a couple of good games yet!

You did good to get those odds. He's around 6/1 now. He has had a good year. I thought if any Mayo player was in the running, it would be Paddy Durkan. He's up around 10/1.
    I had a nose through the odds - the long shots. I know it's a real long shot, but Kevin McLoughlin is in there at 150/1. Kinda stands out a little bit from the real no-hopers down at those odds. He has had a great club championship, and done well (I think) in championship to date. If Mayo did win their last 2 games, and he plays very well, could he be in with a shot?

You did good to get those odds. He's around 6/1 now. He has had a good year. I thought if any Mayo player was in the running, it would be Paddy Durkan. He's up around 10/1.
    I had a nose through the odds - the long shots. I know it's a real long shot, but Kevin McLoughlin is in there at 150/1. Kinda stands out a little bit from the real no-hopers down at those odds. He has had a great club championship, and done well (I think) in championship to date. If Mayo did win their last 2 games, and he plays very well, could he be in with a shot?

Personally I think if Mayo were to win, he'd be behind CoC, Aidan O'Shea, Paddy Durcan and his name-sake McLoughlin - some on profile, some on merit.

Personally I think if Mayo were to win, he'd be behind CoC, Aidan O'Shea, Paddy Durcan and his name-sake McLoughlin - some on profile, some on merit.

Ya, I guess you're right. Funny how the profile Vs merit works. You mentioned Eoin McLaughlin. If Lee Keegan played like he did in the 3 championship matches, he'd be up near the top of favourites for POTY. Instead Eoin doesn't even make it on to Paddy Power's list of candidates i.e. he's greater than 200/1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,038 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

gourcuff wrote: »
    tipp are very dangerous for mayo, probably have the superior forwards... should be a really interesting game

Why do people really think that Tipp could be dangerous for Mayo ?

At this stage of the championship Mayo have been utterly consistent since Horan's first season in 2011.

In the QFs and beyond they have only lost to Dublin (x5), Kerry (x3) or Donegal (x1).

Even up to the quarter final to only the teams they have lost to are Galway (x3), Roscommon (x1) in Connacht and the outlier Kildare in a qualifier.

And look at who they have beaten in qualifiers and All Ireland Series
    Cork (x3)
    Down (x2)
    Dublin
    Donegal (x3)
    Tyrone (x2)
    Fermanagh
    Kildare
    Westmeath
    Tipp (x2)
    Derry
    Clare
    Roscommon
    Kerry
    Limerick
    Armagh
    Galway
    Meath

Tipp were up against a terrible Cork team in Munster, and hey were hanging on for dear life at time in the last quarter of the game.

Mayo will be a much different animal, far more dynamic, far more physical, fare more experienced and with far more depth than Tipp have seen thus far this year.

Unless Mayo do what Kerry and Donegal did, i.e planning for a game that will now never be played, I can't see anything other than a comfortable Mayo win.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,534 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The only way Tipp would be favorites to beat Mayo would be in the final

At this stage of the championship Mayo have been utterly consistent since Horan's first season in 2011.

In the QFs and beyond they have only lost to Dublin (x5), Kerry (x3) or Donegal (x1).

Even up to the quarter final to only the teams they have lost to are Galway (x3), Roscommon (x1) in Connacht and the outlier Kildare in a qualifier.

Cork (x3)
    Down (x2)
    Dublin
    Donegal (x3)
    Tyrone (x2)
    Fermanagh
    Kildare
    Westmeath
    Tipp (x2)
    Derry
    Clare
    Roscommon
    Kerry
    Limerick
    Armagh
    Galway
    Meath

Tipp were up against a terrible Cork team in Munster, and hey were hanging on for dear life at time in the last quarter of the game.

Mayo will be a much different animal, far more dynamic, far more physical, fare more experienced and with far more depth than Tipp have seen thus far this year.

Unless Mayo do what Kerry and Donegal did, i.e planning for a game that will now never be played, I can't see anything other than a comfortable Mayo win.

I think Tipp will make a game of it for sure. They have a couple of prolific forwards, and a strong ball winner in midfield where Mayo are a bit light.

My worry with Mayo is they look good with O'Shea in the square and the attack feeding off him. He goes wandering when they start to lose midfield, and the attack tends to break down. Kick-outs are a big worry too.

It won't be a walkover, but Mayo should have enough. Quinlivan seems to be playing in the half forward line this season, and I'm not sure I see him tracking McLaughlin, Durcan and co for 70 mins. Tipp looked to me like they tired badly v Cork, and Cork played into their hands by playing aimless hand-passes side to side. Mayo wont do that, but its hard to ever be fully confident as a Mayo fan...

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Denny61

If tipperary beat mayo on Sunday by a few points or more its cos tipp.are a far better team than mayo .end of....all this crap talk about if mayo lose it will be cos they had an off day...for Christ sake get a life.!!!.you can never become a medicore team over night .the reason for mayo if they are beaten is that first. They wer not allowed to play. And second they will be beaten by a better team..get over it ..

Denny61 wrote: »
    If tipperary beat mayo on Sunday by a few points or more its cos tipp.are a far better team than mayo .end of....all this crap talk about if mayo lose it will be cos they had an off day...for Christ sake get a life.!!!.you can never become a medicore team over night .the reason for mayo if they are beaten is that first. They wer not allowed to play. And second they will be beaten by a better team..get over it ..

A sweeping statement like that has no merit.
    You'll always have situations in almost all sports where a better quality team/player will have an off day, and get beaten by the underdog. i.e. Cork beat Kerry. Would you say that Cork are a better football team than Kerry. I wouldn't!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Where did you see that?
    All over the media last night. Provincial minor championships re-start or commence in a few weeks but it looks like the AI U21 final might be pushed back to January now.

Edit its confirmed the U21 football final will be played December 19th.
    https://www.gaa.ie/football/news/fixture-details-for-eirgrid-all-ireland-under-20-football-final/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Cork (x3)
    Down (x2)
    Dublin
    Donegal (x3)
    Tyrone (x2)
    Fermanagh
    Kildare
    Westmeath
    Tipp (x2)
    Derry
    Clare
    Roscommon
    Kerry
    Limerick
    Armagh
    Galway
    Meath

Of the beaten list a number of games Mayo was far than comfortable in. Off the top of the head, needed extra time to eventually beat Cork, Derry. Even last year v Armagh a one point win where Mayo was delighted with the full time whistle.

The last Mayo v Tipp AI semi final on the face of it looked like a comfortable 5 point win but for long stages of the game Tipp was a dangerous opponent for Mayo. The two goals came at key stages in the game and the 2nd goal a rather lucky 1 as Evan Regan slipped as he shot and the ball rolled into the path of Conor O’Shea.

Saying all that it will be a huge shock if Mayo don't win, better fitness, S&C and bench should be the telling difference on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

I actually think this will be a cracker.
    Mayo should open up in Croke park.
    Tipp have 2 forwards that would grace any Dublin or Kerry team and a strong midfield that will most definitely shadow mayo . Not to mention fox and others .
    Tipp face a conundrum. If they push up on mayo they will most definitely face the mayo running game and concede scores . If they don’t and go defensive they will loose out on scoring opportunities .
    Either way Mayo will go all out on the scoring running game . It will be a fascinating encounter .

There is one thing and even the begrudgers can’t take away from mayo .
    1) we don’t go all out defensive .
    2) we will give almost any team a period in the match where they can either get back in with a chance or take control completely.

It’s never easy supporting mayo but it’s just an honour to support them being from mayo . 🇾🇹

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭enricoh

Cillian O Connor is a good forward but not up their with the really great players. For me anyway as a Dub he never really made me too worried before a big game. He lacked killer pace that could really hurt you. His return from play against Dublin in big games wasn't great.

Scores from play in big games v Dublin

2013 final 0-0
    2015 semi final draw 0-1
    2015 semi final replay 1-1
    2016 final draw 0-2
    2016 final replay 0-0
    2017 final 0-3

Six big games All Ire semi finals and finals accumulative score from play of 1-7.

Missed a lot of 45's in the 3 matches so far- I'm not sure if he even converted 1 in the 3 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I feel like in this "championshi like no other", there could just be an ambush on the cards at the weekend. Of the two semi finals, I feel Tipp are a lot more likely to do it than Cavan but honestly who knows?

I don't have anything to base that off of on paper but just a gut feeling.

Lord knows there would be serious appetite for a Tipp v Cavan final. Who knows?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,884 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Think this weekend will be stroll in the parks for Dublin and Mayo

Would love to see Tipp in the final and by god it would be freaky having Dublin vs Tipp All Ireland final 100 years on from Bloody Sunday. Think Mayo will be way to strong and have had a few weeks rest too

Cavan don't have a hope against Dublin but if they perform you never know but its a massive massive ask

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭blowitupref

thelad95 wrote: »
    I feel like in this "championshi like no other", there could just be an ambush on the cards at the weekend. Of the two semi finals, I feel Tipp are a lot more likely to do it than Cavan but honestly who knows?

I don't have anything to base that off of on paper but just a gut feeling.

Lord knows there would be serious appetite for a Tipp v Cavan final. Who knows?

Let's be honest most neutrals would have a lot more appetite for a Tipp v Cavan final than the appetite of watching Dublin winning 6 in a row.

Most expect Dublin to win its just a matter of who knows about the margin of victory. If Cavan throw themselves into the tackles like they did against Donegal it could be a competitive contest. If they give the Dubs time and room on the ball, admiring their play like Meath did in the Leinster final it will be over at half time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭C__MC

I'd be favouring mayo by at least 6-10 points
    Tipp needed extra time to beat limerick and beat a very soft cork team IMO
    Mayo have the strength in the backs to hold tipps marquee men
    Up front, Tipp wont have the power to hold O Shea, the o Connors and say kevin mc
    Mayo have the experience and they know how to see this out
    They look alot more focused under Horan and consistent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭Coybig_

C__MC wrote: »
    I'd be favouring mayo by at least 6-10 points
    Tipp needed extra time to beat limerick and beat a very soft cork team IMO
    Mayo have the strength in the backs to hold tipps marquee men
    Up front, Tipp wont have the power to hold O Shea, the o Connors and say kevin mc
    Mayo have the experience and they know how to see this out
    They look alot more focused under Horan and consistent

If we get beaten by "at least 6-10 points" we may as well give it up altogether. Would be a terrible showing from us.

Our lads will have no fear of Mayo, especially having gotten the Cork win under our belt. Over the last few years in league and championship we have regularly put ourselves in positions to win and not been able to see it out.

Cork in the Championship 2017
    Armagh in the qualifiers that year (not helped by disgraceful refereeing)
    Roscommon and Cavan in the league (2018, when a win in either game would have seen us promoted to division 1)
    Mayo in the Championship 2018.

I would say that we dominated Mayo for close to 3/4 of that 2018 game, and they got a fluke goal to draw level from being 3 down. They drove on as winners do and put us to the sword then, fair play.

You refer to Mayo's strength in the backs being able to hold us, I'd counter by saying that in 2018, Conor Sweeney regularly roamed to midfield as he was our best fielding option, leaving Quinlivan often alone inside (he got 1-2 from play too), however with O'Riordan in midfield we don't have to worry about that - Sweeney can concentrate on scoring.

We know that we can put it up to Mayo and actually take the initiative against them. We also know that we can come through a tough battle when we are underdogs and not wilt after putting ourselves in a great spot like against Cork.

Mayo being focused and consistent under Horan, the same argument more than applies to us under Power. We had completely lost our way under Liam Kerins, Power has worked wonders along with Paddy Christie. The belief is back.

And I take issue with Mayo being "more focused" under Horan too - beaten by Roscommon last year, neck and neck with Meath until the final few minutes, hammered by both All Ireland finalists, this year - relegated from division 1, and struggled past Galway.

Mayo are favourites and have an edge quality wise but if we were not still in it with 10 to play then I'd be massively disappointed. I think we can do it, I really do.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Denny61

So basically people are saying on here if tipp win..its basically mayo having a,off day .if mayo win. Its,cos they were always a better team. So a,team like tipperary can't have an off day either!!.give us a break

• Registered Users Posts: 15,038 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Coybig_ wrote: »
    If we get beaten by "at least 6-10 points" we may as well give it up altogether. Would be a terrible showing from us.

Our lads will have no fear of Mayo, especially having gotten the Cork win under our belt. Over the last few years in league and championship we have regularly put ourselves in positions to win and not been able to see it out.

Cork in the Championship 2017
    Armagh in the qualifiers that year (not helped by disgraceful refereeing)
    Roscommon and Cavan in the league (2018, when a win in either game would have seen us promoted to division 1)
    Mayo in the Championship 2018.

I would say that we dominated Mayo for close to 3/4 of that 2018 game, and they got a fluke goal to draw level from being 3 down. They drove on as winners do and put us to the sword then, fair play.

You refer to Mayo's strength in the backs being able to hold us, I'd counter by saying that in 2018, Conor Sweeney regularly roamed to midfield as he was our best fielding option, leaving Quinlivan often alone inside (he got 1-2 from play too), however with O'Riordan in midfield we don't have to worry about that - Sweeney can concentrate on scoring.

We know that we can put it up to Mayo and actually take the initiative against them. We also know that we can come through a tough battle when we are underdogs and not wilt after putting ourselves in a great spot like against Cork.

Mayo being focused and consistent under Horan, the same argument more than applies to us under Power. We had completely lost our way under Liam Kerins, Power has worked wonders along with Paddy Christie. The belief is back.

And I take issue with Mayo being "more focused" under Horan too - beaten by Roscommon last year, neck and neck with Meath until the final few minutes, hammered by both All Ireland finalists, this year - relegated from division 1, and struggled past Galway.

Mayo are favourites and have an edge quality wise but if we were not still in it with 10 to play then I'd be massively disappointed. I think we can do it, I really do.

In the bits in bold you contradict yourself.

In the first bit you are not able to win from winning positions, in the second you don't wilt.

Winning that Munster championship was huge for Tipp, lets not ignore that, but you cannot also ignore how brutal Cork were, not only in that game but also against Kerry.

You can hang your hat on the Cork win all you like because it delivered a Munster title, but it's not something to boast about otherwise.

And as for Mayo struggling past Galway, have a look at yourselves against Limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭Coybig_

In the bits in bold you contradict yourself.

In the first bit you are not able to win from winning positions, in the second you don't wilt.

Winning that Munster championship was huge for Tipp, lets not ignore that, but you cannot also ignore how brutal Cork were, not only in that game but also against Kerry.

You can hang your hat on the Cork win all you like because it delivered a Munster title, but it's not something to boast about otherwise.

And as for Mayo struggling past Galway, have a look at yourselves against Limerick.

I don't contradict myself. Before we got ourselves into winning positions and didn't see it out. While a negative, obvious positives in putting ourselves in those positions in the first place, including v Mayo. My point though it that we now have done that. The victory over Cork will have given the team the boost that they needed - they didn't wilt and they can use that experience to drive them on. We now know that we are able to put away the bigger teams rather than just look back and say we blew it.

Sure we struggled past Limerick, but then again, we are supposed to be the massive underdog here. Mayo are supposed to be the sure thing, yet the poster above overlooked quite a lot in their performances and results over the last few years. Mayo don't have much to hang their hat on over the last 2 years, other than a league win which was followed by an instant relegation.

Their reputation is very much based on their accomplishments of years ago, not what has actually transpired on the pitch this year and last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,217 ✭✭✭Robson99

Mayo were lucky to beat a poor Galway team missing both Daly and Comer.
    I think Tipp have a great chance. If they can nick a goal or two then the cat will really be among the pigeons

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Robson99 wrote: »
    Mayo were lucky to beat a poor Galway team missing both Daly and Comer.
    I think Tipp have a great chance. If they can nick a goal or two then the cat will really be among the pigeons

It was a deserved win for Mayo in the Connacht final. Should have been by more in all honesty considering we'd 2 very good goal chances saved. We also had injuries to Brendan Harrison and Jason Doherty.

I do agree that Tipperary have every chance this weekend however.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭C__MC

I actually think cavan will push Dublin hard for 55 minutes
    Still believe mayo will have to much for Tipp

Advertisement