Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 All Ireland Senior Football Championship MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Rolo2010 wrote: »
    I don't think we should rush into bringing back knockout football. This year was good but what happens if Kerry go on to win the next 5 or 6 in Munster. Connacht will still be Mayo, Galway, and Roscommon. Ulster is up in the air. Leinster will still be a joke. We may end up in the same situation as 2000 with a stale format which hasn't produced a huge number of shocks.

People complain about three Connacht counties dominating, as though that isn't more than half of them (And still a big percentage if you include London and New York).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

breezy1985 wrote: »
    As a Limerick fan I recently learned that everyone is very supportive of a team that never wins until they actually win something and then people get bitter fast

Mayo somehow managed to get that reaction before actually winning anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Always_Running

seligehgit wrote: »
    Cavan's provincial win matters not a jot.

It most certainly does and isn't devalued by the reconfiguration of the championship in this pandemic year.

'I know I'm gonna die but I'll not die until the game is over' - the 102-year-old GAA fan who held on for Cavan

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/i-know-im-gonna-die-but-ill-not-die-until-the-game-is-over-the-102-year-old-gaa-fan-who-held-on-for-cavan-39803678.html

Brilliant piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Cathedrals are saying from tomorrow they can have up to 150 in attendance at mass and the basilica in knock 200. Considering both are indoors surely a few 100 should be allowed to attend this weekends outdoors All-Ireland semi finals?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,021 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Cathedrals are saying from tomorrow they can have up to 150 in attendance at mass and the basilica in knock 200. Considering both are indoors surely a few 100 should be allowed to attend this weekends outdoors All-Ireland semi finals?

They should be having the mass outside

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭KIB4Life

Cavan are 20/1 I seen there now with Paddy Power has any team been as big as odds for an All Ireland Semi Final as this I certainly can’t remember. If Cavan were to somehow win which is highly unlikely but going by those odds would it be one of if the greatest shocks in GAA history and maybe even Irish sporting history if Cavan were to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Tipp v Mayo in 2016?

Tipp v Mayo in 2016?

Tipp were hardly 20/1 in 2016 and considering that they had hammered Galway in the Quarter Final, which was the same Galway team that had beaten Mayo earlier on that year. Mayo had struggled in some of the qualifiers in 2016 as well so I doubt Tipp were that much of an outside in 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

KIB4Life wrote: »
    Tipp were hardly 20/1 in 2016 and considering that they had hammered Galway in the Quarter Final, which was the same Galway team that had beaten Mayo earlier on that year. Mayo had struggled in some of the qualifiers in 2016 as well so I doubt Tipp were that much of an outside in 2016.

I don't know, just suggesting a possible lengthy odds.

Bar going back to Fermanagh in 2004, I couldn't tell ya.

I don't know, just suggesting a possible lengthy odds.

Bar going back to Fermanagh in 2004, I couldn't tell ya.

Maybe one of the years Kerry were dominating in the 70’s or 80’s when they played Ulster or Connacht teams maybe Kerry vs Sligo 1975 or Leitrim vs Dublin in 94 it’s hard to know alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Cavan are 20/1 I seen there now with Paddy Power has any team been as big as odds for an All Ireland Semi Final as this I certainly can’t remember. If Cavan were to somehow win which is highly unlikely but going by those odds would it be one of if the greatest shocks in GAA history and maybe even Irish sporting history if Cavan were to win.

Probably going off topic but Tyson was a 42/1 on favourite to beat Buster Douglas in probably the biggest single event sporting shock ever. Dublin are 50/1 on to beat Cavan.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Waccamacca3

Dubs be in first gear to beat cavan they have had there day honestly its a dubs v mayo final. Duns on whatever handicap offered wouldn't be surprised if all of Ireland on handicap be another dubs v meath

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Waccamacca3

Also GAA GET RID OF BACK DOOR we all know it makes more money for an amateur organisation who pays full time presidents andva pension to all those that leave

• Registered Users Posts: 25,021 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Dubs be in first gear to beat cavan they have had there day honestly its a dubs v mayo final. Duns on whatever handicap offered wouldn't be surprised if all of Ireland on handicap be another dubs v meath
    Also GAA GET RID OF BACK DOOR we all know it makes more money for an amateur organisation who pays full time presidents andva pension to all those that leave

This is why Hoganstand had a cut off time for posts :rolleyes:

Cavan was also 20/1 to win the Ulster championship before the first match v Monaghan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

FFS, the GAA president only gets paid the same as the job they left to become president. If they get a pension afterwards then I don't necessarily mind. You have to have some sort of incentive to attract people.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,793 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Imagine Mayo finally win the all ireland after all these years and then cannot celebrate it because of Corona!!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Imagine Mayo finally win the all ireland after all these years and then cannot celebrate it because of Corona!!

Don't worry, Mantis. There would be plenty of celebrations.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,793 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Don't worry, Mantis. There would be plenty of celebrations.

Probably but tipp won their first munster football in 85 years and it was basically a car parade up a main street of a village.
    Now it's not level 5 anymore but with lots of pubs closed and social distancing it just won't be the same.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭gourcuff

tipp are very dangerous for mayo, probably have the superior forwards... should be a really interesting game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Mayo won't need to worry about that

gourcuff wrote: »
    tipp are very dangerous for mayo, probably have the superior forwards... should be a really interesting game

Conor Sweeney, Michael Quinlivan are Tipps main marksmens and I'll be surprised if they are allowed in for any easy scores when man marked by experienced defenders in the likes of Barrett and Keegan. Do Tipp have good defenders/defence to hold the Mayo full forward line of C O’Connor, A O’Shea and T Conroy to low scores?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Barlett

Thinking about it logically if Mayo don't perform, Tipperary will beat them. But if they play to a similar standard that we've seen since October, they'll win .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭corny

Conor Sweeney, Michael Quinlivan are Tipps main marksmens and I'll be surprised if they are allowed in for any easy scores when man marked by experienced defenders in the likes of Barrett and Keegan. Do Tipp have good defenders/defence to hold the Mayo full forward line of C O’Connor, A O’Shea and T Conroy to low scores?

Yes is the answer to that question. They're hardly prolific.

Mayo seem to be a match for anyone around the middle third but their chance/conversion rate would definitely be worrying the management. It leaves them vulnerable if they don't do better.

corny wrote: »
    Yes is the answer to that question. They're hardly prolific.

Mayo seem to be a match for anyone around the middle third but their chance/conversion rate would definitely be worrying the management. It leaves them vulnerable if they don't do better.

CO'C averages about 10 points a game, O'Shea will need two men to mark him, there's plenty there to keep Tipperary thinking, the middle third is Mayo's biggest area of transition, they were well beaten by Galway in midfield but turnovers is where they are beating teams currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭dobman88

Barlett wrote: »
    CO'C averages about 10 points a game, O'Shea will need two men to mark him, there's plenty there to keep Tipperary thinking, the middle third is Mayo's biggest area of transition, they were well beaten by Galway in midfield but turnovers is where they are beating teams currently.

10 points a game. Would you stop. Hes a serious player and all time top scorer for a reason but he averages just under 7 points a game. And hes their main free taker. Averaging 10 points a game would be outrageous numbers

dobman88 wrote: »
    10 points a game. Would you stop. Hes a serious player and all time top scorer for a reason but he averages just under 7 points a game. And hes their main free taker. Averaging 10 points a game would be outrageous numbers
    In fairness you have me there, I was thinking off the top of my head whereas you actually checked it out :D Anyway my point is, he's a prolific forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭dobman88

Barlett wrote: »
    In fairness you have me there, I was thinking off the top of my head whereas you actually checked it out :D Anyway my point is, he's a prolific forward.

I like to check things that are easily checked :pac: agree he is a prolific forward, even without tinkering with the numbers lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Cillian O Connor is a good forward but not up their with the really great players. For me anyway as a Dub he never really made me too worried before a big game. He lacked killer pace that could really hurt you. His return from play against Dublin in big games wasn't great.

Scores from play in big games v Dublin

2013 final 0-0
    2015 semi final draw 0-1
    2015 semi final replay 1-1
    2016 final draw 0-2
    2016 final replay 0-0
    2017 final 0-3

Six big games All Ire semi finals and finals accumulative score from play of 1-7.

• Advertisement

Cillian O Connor is a good forward but not up their with the really great players. For me anyway as a Dub he never really made me too worried before a big game. He lacked killer pace that could really hurt you. His return from play against Dublin in big games wasn't great.

Scores from play in big games v Dublin

2013 final 0-0
    2015 semi final draw 0-1
    2015 semi final replay 1-1
    2016 final draw 0-2
    2016 final replay 0-0
    2017 final 0-3

Six big games All Ire semi finals and finals accumulative score from play of 1-7.

He's a good forward but is such a consistent free taker that it makes him an excellent player in my opinion. Changes a team, knowing that they have someone who will put a free over the bar regularly.

Advertisement