Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Six TD's and senators forced to refund illegitimate expense claims

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

No.but some of the chaps on here are sick of seeing tax payers money squandered by our ministers. Why is this so hard to grasp. Perhaps some chaps on here on the gravy train too

It appears some of the chaps on here have no issue with politicians voting more than once either. Sure they are at it themselves.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110262408&postcount=493

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

I think some of the ‘chaps’ around here won’t be happy until politicians take a vow of poverty and make themselves available for a weekly public humiliation in the Square of the town they are from.

You really should put the crack pipe away

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

You really should put the crack pipe away

AND remember this thread’s.title!!!

I see in this morning's Irish Times that some TDs and senators haven't been returning equipment to the Oireachtas:

Former TDs and senators fail to return tech equipment

And look who's top of the list: James Heffernan. Surprisingly, he still doesn't appear to have sorted out his alcohol problem.
    One-third of the equipment that has not been returned is listed as having been issued to former Labour Party senator James Heffernan.The inventory of outstanding items in his case includes a laptop, printer, scanner and workstation.

Mr Heffernan lost the Labour whip in 2012, and later unsuccessfully stood as a general election candidate for the Social Democrats in 2016.

Earlier this year he was found guilty of assaulting three gardaí following his arrest outside the Indiependence music festival in Co Cork. In response to queries on the outstanding IT equipment, Mr Heffernan said: “F**k off.”

I see in this morning's Irish Times that some TDs and senators haven't been returning equipment to the Oireachtas:

And look who's top of the list: James Heffernan. Surprisingly, he still doesn't appear to have sorted out his alcohol problem.

Only yesterday expenses for DE was raised as an issue. And now we learn this

Between the fact he stood for the SD and the circus surrounding kisyombe, it makes me wonder just in what direction the SD’s are going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Only yesterday expenses for DE was raised as an issue. And now we learn this

Between the fact he stood for the SD and the circus surrounding kisyombe, it makes me wonder just in what direction the SD’s are going.

Pretty sure the direction the SDs are going is nowhere

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

They should be returning these things but most are obsolete at this point. Leinster house rules are increasingly unfit for purpose even when "enforced". It is a complete systems failure when it works on the assumption that politicians are all honourable people who can somehow be relied on to do things right. No company would let any of them out the door with any IT tech when they left.

pablo128 wrote: »
    No but I think you are. Read the post previous to my one that you quoted.

Basically, your beloved Enda was recorded as being in the Dail on 2 occasions at least when he wasn't even in the country. He was being paid to speak at events abroad.

I was never aware of that until I read the above. If he's paid an attendance fee by the Irish taxpayer but isn't attending, is this not fraud? How on earth has he not been forced to resign from the Dáil? Why is this not being highlighted more?

Greed, nothing but sheer greed on Kenny's part. Nose wedded to the trough of public finances, milking our taxes with all the contempt of a John O'Donoghue or Rody Molloy.

And why do Mayo people in particular keep voting for crooks? Like the romanticisation of alcohol dependency, the romanticisation of their local politicians' crimes, exploitation and sycophancy as loveable "cute hoorism" is, at best, really, really stupid and ignorant. The actions of these parasites are not victimless. Enda Kenny, John O'Donoghue, Mick Lowry, et. al. are not "outsmarting" the "establishment in Dublin". They are the "establishment in Dublin" far more than most people in Dublin ever will be.

Because of the abject moron status of a huge slew of "Sure, he's one of the lads" voters in Mayo, Kerry and Tipperary, however, these parasites manage to have their cake and eat it: rebels against Dublin at election time, but entire career realities of pushing rural depopulation/centralisation of more power to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I was never aware of this until I read this. If he's paid an attendance fee by the Irish taxpayer but isn't attending, is this not fraud? How on earth has he not been forced to resign from the Dáil? Why is this not being highlighted more?

Greed, nothing but sheer greed on Kenny's part. Nose wedded to the trough of public finances, milking our taxes with all the contempt of a John O'Donoghue or Rody Molloy.
    The rules are the problem. They allow people to log in any time the Houses are in operation, from morning to evening and that just means in the building, not the chamber.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

And why do Mayo people in particular keep voting for crooks? Like the romanticisation of alcohol dependency, the romanticisation of their local politicians' crimes, exploitation and sycophancy as loveable "cute hoorism" is, at best, really, really stupid and ignorant. The actions of these parasites are not victimless. Enda Kenny, John O'Donoghue, Mick Lowry, et. al. are not "outsmarting" the "establishment in Dublin". They are the "establishment in Dublin" far more than most people in Dublin ever will be.

Because of the abject moron status of a huge slew of "Sure, he's one of the lads" voters in Mayo, Kerry and Tipperary, however, these parasites manage to have their cake and eat it: rebels against Dublin at election time, but entire career realities of pushing rural depopulation/centralisation of more power to Dublin.

What are you on about? Dublin are worse voting for Bailey, Farrell and might I add Bertie.

JeffKenna wrote: »
    What are you on about? Dublin are worse voting for Bailey, Farrell and might I add Bertie.

Dublin: population, 1.4 millon
    Mayo: population, 130,000

• Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

There is a problem with how the country votes not just one place, it suits agendas to say anti Dublin or anti rural etc, it’s a form of divide and conquer. The reality is fools keep voting for the person most likely to get their road fixed or their passport quick and not the for the person best equipped to run a country.

Deleted

Dublin: population, 1.4 millon
    Mayo: population, 130,000

What's that got to do with anything? You were ranting about Michael Lowry in your post.

What's that got to do with anything? You were ranting about Michael Lowry in your post.

OK, then:

Dublin, population: 1.4 million
    North Tipperary, population: 70,000

The repeated cultural idiocy in these constituencies where large numbers of people think the local corrupt "cute hoor" politician should be re-elected again and again - and on the first count in the case of Lowry for the past 20 years - because he's allegedly sticking it to the D4 crowd and the "Dublin media" is the problem here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

OK, then:

The repeated cultural idiocy in these constituencies where large numbers of people think the local corrupt "cute hoor" politician should be re-elected again and again - and on the first count in the case of Lowry for the past 20 years - because he's allegedly sticking it to the D4 crowd and the "Dublin media" is the problem here.

There is no North Tipp anymore. The Tipperary constituency has an electorate of 112,615.
    Lowry got 17% of the FPV in 2016.

Agreed on your general point. Lowry is a gobdaw and should not be elected.

Same goes for Bailey, Farrell, Madigan etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I think some of the ‘chaps’ around here won’t be happy until politicians take a vow of poverty and make themselves available for a weekly public humiliation in the Square of the town they are from.

Because what? Usually you'd say something like that if they'd done X and Y and people still weren't happy. They're wasters so your comment makes no sense TBH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

No I understand. You're jealous and can't countenance the fact that someone else can earn multiples of your wage.

TDs hold very important and responsible roles. In the private sector they could probably earn multiples of what the earn as a TD.

If the wages were set as the average industrial wage then you would only attract idiots and the already very wealthy.

Wages for politicians was seen as a massive reform as it meant anyone could become a politician. Previously politicians were not paid and therefore only the rich aristocrats could ever afford to be one.

And yes I think it's fair that the further you travel, the higher your travel allowance should be. Otherwise as a nation we've decided to say representation for people who live further away from Dublin is worth less.

The RTE/Bankers excuse? If we're not generous they might leave us? It's being politicians that makes them not their skills at fiddling the parish bingo money or bouncing cheques. You're a gas man.
    Catherine Byrne (born 26 February 1956) is an Irish Fine Gael politician who has served as Minister of State for Health Promotion since June 2017 and Minister of State for Communities and the National Drugs Strategy since May 2016..
    Byrne was leader of St. Michael's Folk/Gospel Group for 15 years and has completed a two-year Lay Ministry Course in All Hallows College, and also holds a Diploma in Catering.

F***ing CEO material right there :)

OK, then:

Ah now if you want to talk about a cute hoor look no further than Shane Ross and the large amount of funding that has been directed into private schools in his constituency recently. Same for James Reilly, Bertie didn't have a bank account and won serious amounts of money on the races. Maria Bailey & Alan Farrell are corrupt to the core. Ireland is over run with it and it needs to be cleaned up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Swing-gate TD facing potential election removal

Swing-gate TD Maria Bailey is facing a Halloween nightmare after her party’s local branch said it will meet tomorrow to decide whether to potentially call for her removal as a general election candidate.

Fine Gael sources told the Irish Examiner the party’s Dun Laoghaire branch will meet on Thursday evening after a motion was tabled to discuss whether changes need to be made to the constituency election ticket.

Ms Bailey has been at the centre of a political and public storm since the days before May’s local and European elections when it was confirmed she had taken a case against the Dean Hotel in Dublin City after falling off a swing.

After a voter backlash, Ms Bailey dropped her legal case. However, the controversy continued to rumble on, resulting in Taoiseach Leo Varadkar demoting her and Ms Bailey losing her place on three Oireachtas committees.

Despite attempts by some party members to move past the incident, earlier this month a councillor who previously worked for Ms Bailey tabled a no confidence motion against her.

Last night, Fine Gael sources confirmed a motion will now be heard on October 31 about whether the party’s Dun Laoghaire general election ticket should be altered.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/swing-gate-td-facing-potential-election-removal-960582.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Looks like Bailey is toast, only took FG 5 months to cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Shes probably heading for the Senate ;)

I would prefer if she ran in the election to be honest. She might run as an Independent?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

What I wouldnt give to be a fly on the wall in that Fine Gael constituency meeting in south Dublin. I can already hear the cries of 'Oh my Gaaawwd, this is not roysh, Maria is the victim here'

It'll be interesting to see if she has the numbers to survive this, we already know she is not going down without a fight. If she does survive this then Leo has a massive headache for the looming election, come campaign time the media will again make insurance an issue and suddenly Leo will regret not having the conviction or leadership to deal with this issue once and for all five months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Muahahaha wrote: »
    What I wouldnt give to be a fly on the wall in that Fine Gael constituency meeting in south Dublin. I can already hear the cries of 'Oh my Gaaawwd, this is not roysh, Maria is the victim here'

It'll be interesting to see if she has the numbers to survive this, we already know she is not going down without a fight. If she does survive this then Leo has a massive headache for the looming election, come campaign time the media will again make insurance an issue and suddenly Leo will regret not having the conviction or leadership to deal with this issue once and for all five months ago.

2 possible headaches for Leo, either she is dropped, and she lets the cat out of the bag on Madigans role, or she survives, and the press and opposition have a field day with her toxicity, possibility that CCTV gets leaked etc.

Leo prob has "How do you solve a problem like Maria" on repeat on Spotify. A problem entirely of his own making might I add.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

2 possible headaches for Leo, either she is dropped, and she lets the cat out of the bag on Madigans role, or she survives, and the press and opposition have a field day with her toxicity, possibility that CCTV gets leaked etc.

Leo prob has "How do you solve a problem like Maria" on repeat on Spotify. A problem entirely of his own making might I add.

He'll sit her down and promise to look after her in the Seanad nice cushy do nothing number at the taxpayers expense that's what the Seanad is for like Haughey looking after the ex branchman scumbag Doherty.

Scoundrel wrote: »
    He'll sit her down and promise to look after her in the Seanad nice cushy do nothing number at the taxpayers expense that's what the Seanad is for like Haughey looking after the ex branchman scumbag Doherty.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/enda-kenny-box-ticking-on-seanad-reform-341515.html
    Opposition leaders have accused Taoiseach Enda Kenny of not being serious about Seanad reform as they insisted he refused to discuss substantial issues at a face-to-face meeting on the future of the upper house.

The Taoiseach was only interested in a “box-ticking” exercise, rather than exploring ways of widening the electorate and powers of the Seanad at the cross-party gathering, Fianna Fáil leader Micheál Martin said.

Mr Kenny avoided any discussion of key elements of a reform package put together by Senator Maurice Manning such as expanding the vote in Seanad elections to all citizens of the Republic and the North as well as Irish passport holders world-wide.

Dr Manning’s proposals also included recommendations for voters to directly elect half the upper house — 30 senators.

Mr Kenny campaigned to abolish the Seanad in 2013 on the grounds that it was too expensive and lacked power to keep the lower house and executive in check.

Fine Gael lost the referendum and then failed to initiate any of the recommended Seanad reforms. Not they use it for crony appointments.

Fine Gael and Fianna Fail are the same party now.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Another possibility is that she survives the night of the long knives on Thursday night but the FG Director of Elections Paschal o'Donohue takes her off the ticket anyway. Its well known that Paschal doesnt want her anywhere near an election and certainly not on his watch as the Director of Elections, he will be held directly accountable for a bad election and if that happens his ambitions to be Taoiseach will take a major hit. Now if Paschal does take her off the ticket then I can see Maria bringing this to the High Court. In 2015 the Sligo FG TD John Perry took Enda Kenny and Fine Gael to the High Court when they tried to take him off the ticket. iirc Fine Gael backed down before the court hearing and he was allowed to run.

I dont think she will survive the night of the long knives. I'm sure she'll muster good numbers of local blueshirt apologists for her alleged insurance fraud because of her dad and her whole victim complex but I cant see it being enough in the larger constituency overall. Must say that it is a real shame that this meeting is going to be held in private, they should really be broadcasting it on Sky (Blood)Sports as a pay per view with Sean o'Rourke as the referee. Humanity is certain to get crossed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Scoundrel wrote: »

Personally doubt that, but might well be proven wrong in it, even as a senator she'll be in the public eye.

Maybe a nice anono role as a high paying 'special adviser' or senior civil servants job, she's been a millstone around the party's neck now for over five months, shunting her into a role of senator surely wouldn't be doing themselves any favours?

Advertisement