Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Calls for State to build Mosque in Roscommon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Microdot wrote: »
    This is only the start, next they will be driving the locals out so the can have the place for them self's.
    Sadly this is very true. Look at Whitechapel in london. !

Ballaghaderreen is an awful hole though.
    It's gonna get worse. Just watch. !

Ballaghaderreen is an awful hole though.
    It's gonna get worse. Just watch. !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Glenster wrote: »
    Build them one.

Whats the problem?

I have a better idea. Let the governments of Saudi Arabia and Afghanistan build Christian churches at the expense of the state,
    What do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

feargale wrote: »
    I have a better idea. Let the governments of Saudi Arabia and Afghanistan build Christian churches at the expense of the state,
    What do you think?

The refugees just want a place to worship.

Just cos Saudi Arabia is a dick doesn't mean we have to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭cocaliquid

Muslims are living in the apartment above me there like animals.

Their female daughter is running non stop. Funny thing there is a park close it sounds like she dose not use it. Wearing no shoes adds to the noise parents are just as bad moving heavy items and constant banging on the ceiling. On the sound of tapping maybe doing crafts ?. Went to complain about the noise the guy wouldn't even give hes real name called himself Jimmy and kept lying.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

Glenster wrote: »
    The refugees just want a place to worship.

Just cos Saudi Arabia is a dick doesn't mean we have to be.

Actually, a Pakistan National from Longford wants the place of worship

There is a place of worship, it is no more than 20 miles down the road. A room in the hostel can always be made available too

Even today, in some Catholic parishes, they have to team up with the next parish and take turns over holding mass in their place every second week due to the shortage of priests .

cocaliquid wrote: »
    Muslims are living in the apartment above me there like animals.

Their female daughter is running non stop. Funny thing there is a park close it sounds like she dose not use it. Wearing no shoes adds to the noise parents are just as bad moving heavy items and constant banging on the ceiling. On the sound of tapping maybe doing crafts ?. Went to complain about the noise the guy wouldn't even give hes real name called himself Jimmy and kept lying.

(1) Call the GNIB , who knows they might be illegal

(2) Best solution, speak with the landlord /agent

• Site Banned Posts: 129 ✭✭nosilver

If a catholic businessman called for a catholic church to be built by the state in some backwater, would it get any headlines?

No!

So why does this? - Because it suits the click bait mentality of the media who feed into the racial prejudices of the uneducated.

nosilver wrote: »
    If a catholic businessman called for a catholic church to be built by the state in some backwater, would it get any headlines?

No!

So why does this? - Because it suits the click bait mentality of the media who feed into the racial prejudices of the uneducated.

Eh, it very much would make the news. The State having for the building of a church. When did the State ever pay for the building of a church?

In fact, the media are often rather opposed to The Church butting in on the State affairs . It is fashionable to have a moan about the Church

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Donal55 wrote: »
    Aren't all these refugees : architects, barristers, chiropractors,doctors,.......Vets, watchmakers, X ray inspectors and zoologists.

Why would they be confined to rural areas when all these good jobs are in Dublin?

Once they have been given the right to work then they are free to apply for jobs wherever they want.
    But while they are being housed by the state then they should be housed in a location that is cheap and by housing people in smaller rural areas they the government will be indirectly pumping money into these areas because the refugees will be spending money in those areas for rent, food and entertainment which is a good thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,587 ✭✭✭baldbear

I wonder was this business man involved in the Longford dispute?

Khaldid Kelly used to live in Longford.

https://www.google.ie/amp/www.rte.ie/amp/820158/

nosilver wrote: »

No!

Seeing as you are so educated any other ideas eg. How can cocoaliquid get peace in apartment from muselim family of dad na med jimmy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I'm in Whitechapel now. How have people been "driven" out tell me?

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

Why any sane Irish person would welcome our government to finance the religion of Islam to spread its sphere of influence here, given our own recent history with Catholicism and the last decade of terror in Europe, is beyond me.

Keep it on the continent. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Pat 36059

Mick Wallace will build it , Ming Flanigan will supply the turf for the fire............

FTA69 wrote: »

I'm in Whitechapel now. How have people been "driven" out tell me?
    Stand outside the tube station and just open your eyes and look around.

People can be very native be careful what you wish for.

There are only here because we were forced to take them. Does anyone one know of friends who socialize with Muslims.

Treat them right but when its time get them out of the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Why any sane Irish person would welcome our government to finance the religion of Islam to spread its sphere of influence here, given our own recent history with Catholicism and the last decade of terror in Europe, is beyond me.

Keep it on the continent. Thanks.
    There are already Irish citizens that are Muslim. They have the same right to freedom of religion as any other religion on this island. I don't particularly like the state supporting any religion, and if the state isn't supporting any other faith then they shouldn't start with Islam. But if they are already funding other religions then Muslims have every right to ask for the same support.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

ScumLord wrote: »
    There are already Irish citizens that are Muslim. They have the same right to freedom of religion as any other religion on this island. I don't particularly like the state supporting any religion, and if the state isn't supporting any other faith then they shouldn't start with Islam. But if they are already funding other religions then Muslims have every right to ask for the same support.

Freedom to practise your religion doesn't mean funding to practise it. It doesn't seem that the state fund religious activity centres as it is. Thank feck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Pat 36059

Muslims should not be left isolated or removed from our society. They have a right to religion, Education and shelter in this country . However, They should try to adapt to the country that they wish to reside in. They should dress and behave to blend with the social society that they wish to enter.To use Birmingham as an example city, It is destroyed by the influx from Pakistan / Afghanistan and other troubled areas.
    a mosque is only a place for prayer, can they not use a local hall or a house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,929 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Pat 36059 wrote: »
    Muslims should not be left isolated or removed from our society. They have a right to religion, Education and shelter in this country . However, They should try to adapt to the country that they wish to reside in. They should dress and behave to blend with the social society that they wish to enter.To use Birmingham as an example city, It is destroyed by the influx from Pakistan / Afghanistan and other troubled areas.
    a mosque is only a place for prayer, can they not use a local hall or a house.

These "refugees" are here at the goodwill of the Irish State, to give them shelter from war and persecution in their homelands.

They HAVE no "rights" to anything beyond this. Anything they receive is at the expense and charity of their hosts and surely people fleeing death and torture would be grateful of a warm bed, safe place to stay, and guaranteed meals?
    They are not citizens of this country or indeed Europe and they are (or should be!) here only only on a temporary basis until it's safe to send them home.

If they don't like that, or don't like the locale or the culture, or they feel they have "entitlements", then they're always free to leave for a country more in-line with their beliefs and expectations.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

If i was running away from certain death and suffering i think a nice quiet rural area where I'm safe and have food and a nice place to sleep would be brilliant.

If on the other hand I'm actually an economic migrant pretending to be a refugee who expects every demand met then maybe i might be whinging about boredom, I'm sure tho that's not the case at all with any of them :rolleyes:
    And that is the best post in the whole thread and is the real truth to what is happening all over Europe right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭DanMurphy

There's an old Americanism -

'Build it, and they will come'!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,316 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

People can be very native be careful what you wish for.

There are only here because we were forced to take them. Does anyone one know of friends who socialize with Muslims.

Treat them right but when its time get them out of the country.

Yeah. Because they're human beings. They're not androids or animals. They're people.
    What's wrong with you?

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    These "refugees" are here at the goodwill of the Irish State, to give them shelter from war and persecution in their homelands.

They HAVE no "rights" to anything beyond this. Anything they receive is at the expense and charity of their hosts and surely people fleeing death and torture would be grateful of a warm bed, safe place to stay, and guaranteed meals?
    They are not citizens of this country or indeed Europe and they are (or should be!) here only only on a temporary basis until it's safe to send them home.

If they don't like that, or don't like the locale or the culture, or they feel they have "entitlements", then they're always free to leave for a country more in-line with their beliefs and expectations.

They have rights. They still have both human rights and civil rights. Even animals have rights in this country. To say they have no rights is a gross misunderstanding of what rights are.

Grayson wrote: »
    Yeah. Because they're human beings. They're not androids or animals. They're people.
    What's wrong with you?

From what i have seen they only mix with themselves. While Hindus are very friendly and have no problem adapting to western society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭511

They have rights. They still have both human rights and civil rights. Even animals have rights in this country. To say they have no rights is a gross misunderstanding of what rights are.

He didn't say they "have no rights" and they certainly aren't entitled to the same rights a citizens of Ireland because they simply are not citizens of this country and should be repatriated A.S.A.P. when their native country is safe.

511 wrote: »
    He didn't say they "have no rights" and they certainly aren't entitled to the same rights a citizens of Ireland because they simply are not citizens of this country and should be repatriated A.S.A.P. when their native country is safe.

Legally they have far more rights than that.

• Advertisement

511 wrote: »

Imo they have a lot more rights then people born in ireland whose heritage goes back centuries.

From what i have seen they only mix with themselves. While Hindus are very friendly and have no problem adapting to western society.

I have loads of friends who are Muslim. For a lot of them I didn't even know they were Muslim until months or years later. Not that it would have made a difference to me. I can't see how anyone living in a big city couldn't know someone who'd Muslim. It'd be fair enough if they lived in a small village and there were none there but then it'd be impossible to say that they "keep to themselves".

I have a feeling that ironically you keep to yourself and don't actually talk to people you think might be Muslim.

Imo they have a lot more rights then people born in ireland whose heritage goes back centuries.

Like the way they can 't vote? Or work? Or the way they had to stay in Mosney?
    Direct provisioning was determined to breach the human rights of refugees.
    Irish citizens have more rights than refugees. If you think otherwise then you need to read up on the rights of refugees. You'll see that they don't have more than Irish citizens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,484 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Legally they have far more rights than that.

Wait til the new bill gets signed in...then we are totally f*cked. Our freedom of speech is already seriously oppressed with the blasphemy law...there's a second bill on its way and you won't be able to criticise Islam at all.

Sorry on mobile I can't embed YouTube links.

https://youtu.be/OZPaTyde47I

Wait til the new bill gets signed in...then we are totally f*cked. Our freedom of speech is already seriously oppressed with the blasphemy law...there's a second bill on its way and you won't be able to criticise Islam at all.

Is that the new hate speech bill? I wasn't able to find the text of that.

Irish citizens have more rights than refugees. If you think otherwise then you need to read up on the rights of refugees. You'll see that they don't have more than Irish citizens.
    GO and talk to the people sleeping on the streets at night in all major cities in ireland. They are mostly irish people.

• Advertisement

Is that the new hate speech bill? I wasn't able to find the text of that.

That's the one. I posted a link to an interesting YouTube video there.

We're f*cked.

They had to stay in mosney..............have you been to mosney...............used to enjoy paying to go there on holidays years ago . But guess what..........?

That's the one. I posted a link to an interesting YouTube video there.

We're f*cked.

I searched this thread for your name and it gave no search results. Sorry to be a pain but would you mind PM'ing me even the name of the video so I can find out more, please?

The Syrian refugees aren't in DP centres. The one around here are housed in nice accommodation and seem to receive a good bit of help in various ways. I don't know about arguing over who has more rights but I don't see any failure by the state to provide for their needs and make them comfortable. As this is about a demand for a new mosque funded by the state I think it's fair to say that man's expecting too much.

GO and talk to the people sleeping on the streets at night in all major cities in ireland. They are mostly irish people.

Will they be able to list the rights of refugees and of Irish citizens? Because otherwise that's complete whataboutery. You insisted that refugees have more rights than irish citizens. They simply don't.

That's not to say that homelessness isn't an issue and that our government shouldn't spend more, but it's not an either/or situation. Our government spends billions a year. It also gives loads of tax breaks. To pick money that it spends helping innocent people who are fleeing violence and say that it should be spent elsewhere is silly. Out of all the money the government spends that's the only possible money that could be redirected? If that's the point you were trying to make then you're creating a situation that doesn't exist as a strawman argument.

• Advertisement

Will they be able to list the rights of refugees and of Irish citizens? Because otherwise that's complete whataboutery. You insisted that refugees have more rights than irish citizens. They simply don't.

That's not to say that homelessness isn't an issue and that our government shouldn't spend more, but it's not an either/or situation. Our government spends billions a year. It also gives loads of tax breaks. To pick money that it spends helping innocent people who are fleeing violence and say that it should be spent elsewhere is silly. Out of all the money the government spends that's the only possible money that could be redirected? If that's the point you were trying to make then you're creating a situation that doesn't exist as a strawman argument.
    No not at all. I am saying it the way it is. And what I see going on day by day. Look after irish people FIRST.

No not at all. I am saying it the way it is. And what I see going on day by day. Look after irish people FIRST.

Do you think the state should accommodate homeless people in direct provision?
    Is it a good idea to move all homeless people into the likes of mosney? We could give them 19 euro or so a week pocket money?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Thanks for fisking. It makes the post so much harder to reply to without fisking.

96% of national schools in Ireland are under religious patronage. 90% are under catholic patronage. In these schools children are taught catholic dogma and doctrine. They are prepared for their first communion and confirmations during class time. Religion permeates the schools. These schools can refuse anyone who isn't catholic on the grounds that they're not catholic. They force non Catholics to sit in, but not participate in catholic lessons. And they are all state funded. The state will build and staff a catholic school for free. The state has spent billions doing this over the years.

The nuts thing is that in any discussion about the state funding of catholic education the argument is normally Catholics who are for it and atheists against it. There's no-one who actually denies it exists. Except you.

I am intrigued, how do schools force children to "sit in?" Parents are quite welcome to withdraw their children. There aren't spare teachers in school to be pulled out to remove children at religion time, but that doesn't equate with " forcing" children to be in the room.

The Syrian refugees aren't in DP centres. The one around here are housed in nice accommodation and seem to receive a good bit of help in various ways. I don't know about arguing over who has more rights but I don't see any failure by the state to provide for their needs and make them comfortable. As this is about a demand for a new mosque funded by the state I think it's fair to say that man's expecting too much.

I agreed with that pages back, near the beginning, so you might not have noticed it. It's a stupid request. I also pointed out that I don't think the state should subsidise any religion and that includes renovating their buildings or paying for religious education (which we still do unfortunately).

btw, there are syrian refugees in Mosney. I just googled and found articles from January this year. The process remains the same as it's always been. A refugees requests asylum and is placed in direct provisioning until their application is processed.

Apparently there's an EU directive which states that refugees who are awaiting processing for more than a year can work but Ireland is one of two countries which disallows that.

It may be that particular groups have had their applications expedited since you've seen them living in the community. However it may be that they arrived years ago and spent years in direct provisioning.

I am intrigued, how do schools force children to "sit in?" Parents are quite welcome to withdraw their children. There aren't spare teachers in school to be pulled out to remove children at religion time, but that doesn't equate with " forcing" children to be in the room.

Over 90% of schools in the country are catholic. That means that an awful lot of people won't have any other options. They can't just remove their children from the schools because there's nowhere else to go.

I agreed with that pages back, near the beginning, so you might not have noticed it. It's a stupid request. I also pointed out that I don't think the state should subsidise any religion and that includes renovating their buildings or paying for religious education (which we still do unfortunately).

btw, there are syrian refugees in Mosney. I just googled and found articles from January this year. The process remains the same as it's always been. A refugees requests asylum and is placed in direct provisioning until their application is processed.

Apparently there's an EU directive which states that refugees who are awaiting processing for more than a year can work but Ireland is one of two countries which disallows that.

It may be that particular groups have had their applications expedited since you've seen them living in the community. However it may be that they arrived years ago and spent years in direct provisioning.

Ok well in their case I remember reading the result of a FOI request some applied to the county council, which referred to preparations to be made prior to them arriving in Ireland. I do not know why there are some Syrians in Direct Provision..

I searched this thread for your name and it gave no search results. Sorry to be a pain but would you mind PM'ing me even the name of the video so I can find out more, please?

I posted it in my first post above that one.

Over 90% of schools in the country are catholic. That means that an awful lot of people won't have any other options. They can't just remove their children from the schools because there's nowhere else to go.

They might sit and wait in the same room, like some children wait it out if they're not participating in PE class. That's what I did during religion classes.

bubblypop wrote: »

Do you think the state should accommodate homeless people in direct provision?
    Is it a good idea to move all homeless people into the likes of mosney? We could give them 19 euro or so a week pocket money?
    I think mosney that used to be a holiday camp for irish families to have their holidays in is now still full of muselims/foreigners. So don't really get your point .

I think mosney that used to be a holiday camp for irish families to have their holidays in is now still full of muselims/foreigners. So don't really get your point .

Well you think the Irish state should look after the Irish homeless first right?
    So, should they house the homeless up in mosney and give them food and lodgings and 19 euro a week pocket money?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement