Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Lorenzo: October 3/4 2019 **Technical Discussion Only**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

ECM 0Z a bit down on previous runs but still quite windy in the W getting up around 120km/h on coastal areas ( wouldn't rule out a bit higher on exposed coastal headland ). Later away from coastal areas gusting 70 to 90 km/h inland , higher towards the coast and 90 - 100km/h on high ground . Mayo, Galway, Clare getting the highest winds followed by Kerry. Would think Kerry max of 100km/h or 110km/h and this from the Dingle Peninsula up towards N Kerry and coastal. More gusting 70 to 90 km/h inland.

bZn0G7Q.png

c4vUfGR.png

GWwvKAd.png

BW9RDIc.png

kb7btVc.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

10 min avg 34 km/h, gust 71 km/h here near Tralee.

13.4C

Bar 1002.5 hPa Falling Rapidly

anim_cyt5.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Pressure trend at my station over the last 12 hrs. Fairly steady fall since midnight though a few curious 'wobbles' occurring earlier on this morning:

ctDRU4Y.png

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

skyscapes out here half an hour ago

West Mayo offshore.
    Bitterly cold

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Removing cork from orange was the right thing, If anything it was only small parts of cork that needed it. Regardless that doesn’t mean the winds won’t still be strong. Some gusts already this morning blowing the trees fairly strongly causing leaves to be everywhere. I’d still be vigilant as it is a different type of yellow warning with the very wet ground and trees full of leaves, could still be plenty of damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,327 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Are the strongest winds/gusts always on the southwest side of a storm/hurricane?

Not always, but when storms of all kinds are moving northeast the strongest winds are usually found in the southeast quadrant. A storm moving from west to east would likely have strongest winds to the south.

But for hurricanes or typhoons moving northwest, you would expect the strongest winds to be in the northeast quadrant. For those moving east to west, the strongest winds (as with Dorian recently in Bahamas) would be north of the centre.

However, in all cases, the stronger the tropical system, the more concentrated the strong winds would be in the eyewall in general, and while the same rules generally apply, the eyewall all around the centre can have almost equally strong winds.

Reasons for this include the interaction of upper level winds steering the storm with boundary layer, and the forward motion of the storm added to the wind direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

1012.4mb in Arklow falling rapidly
    Wind SSE gusting to 47 kmh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Can someone repost the chart that shows the storm centre on a time basis - I saw the chart a few times with crudely drawn timelines. Effective for all the 'when will it hit' questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Can someone repost the chart that shows the storm centre on a time basis - I saw the chart a few times with crudely drawn timelines. Effective for all the 'when will it hit' questions.

No longer available since Lorenzo transitioned from being a hurricane. The NHC create those charts, and the storm is out of their area of responsibility now (and has been for about a day, so most of the previous charts wouldn't be accurate)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

MJohnston wrote: »
    No longer available since Lorenzo transitioned from being a hurricane. The NHC create those charts, and the storm is out of their area of responsibility now (and has been for about a day, so most of the previous charts wouldn't be accurate)

I chuckled at the idea of someone having responsibility for a storm.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Their last update:
    https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at3+shtml/143913.shtml?mltoa34#contents

Nice WV image taken half an hour ago.

9mSw7Rm.png

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

FAX analysis at 06Z. At 969 hPa it was 5 hPa higher than that forecasted 24 hours ago.

ukmo_nat_fax_2019100306_000.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Google have started tracking it for you

https://www.google.com/maps/@49.663661,-11.8838656,5z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m3!15m2!1m1!1s%2Fg%2F11fnqbt298?hl=en

Pic from the National Hurricane Center

143913_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

https://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Munster/Fastnet_Rock/

I thought Fastnet would get a battering, but seems fine, mind you map above explains it..

Sky is getting very strange looking here. Clouds are broken with a mix of high based Altocumulus and Altostratus with deep blue sky in between. Odd thing is though there are short little heavy showers springing up and all falling from these higher based clouds with light being dispersed in a very surreal way as a result.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Sky is getting very strange looking here. Clouds are broken with a mix of high based Altocumulus and Altostratus with deep blue sky in between. Odd thing is though there are short little heavy showers springing up and all falling from these higher based clouds with light being dispersed in a very surreal way as a result.

Where are you ?
    Post a photo if possible!

ICON 06z going for a Donegal landing later tonight:

ICOOPUK06_21_9.png

New Moon

Where are you ?
    Post a photo if possible!

Galway. Didn't take a photo :o Sky is closing in rapidly now anyway.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Galway. Didn't take a photo :o Sky is closing in rapidly now anyway.

Same here. Gone dark and clouds have lost their HD clarity look to them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭dacogawa

The M3 buoy (60km off SW of Cork) and M6 (390km off Galway Bay) 9am reports. The wave height is picking up. 969hPa on the M6.

492144.JPG

492145.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Same cloud layers in Clare. I didn't mention it because I didn't remember the cloud names until I saw Oneiric's post.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Here's where those buoys are for reference:

websitemap_15.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 21,117 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Lashing rain here in Cork for the last hour.

pad199207 wrote: »
    Same here. Gone dark and clouds have lost their HD clarity look to them

'HD Clarity' That perfectly describes the scene.

New Moon

'HD Clarity' That perfectly describes the scene.

:) only way I could describe it really lol the way the sun was behind the clouds

7756-D1-EE-1-C00-4338-A703-C97-B65-BA8-CDB.jpg

Same cloud layers in Clare. I didn't mention it because I didn't remember the cloud names until I saw Oneiric's post.

Very handy site to help you refresh those forgotten cloud names. Just click on any of the images and it will give you the name of them and a brief description.

https://cloudatlas.wmo.int/search-image-gallery.html

Could look at these all day. :o

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

The M6 Buoy is the one to watch, seems center passed very close in last hour.

https://twitter.com/CarlowWeather/status/1179693956382236672?s=20

• Advertisement

Odd shapes and sizes

45-B3-FD49-7-AC7-4936-AA7-E-5-A81439-F9-CB7.jpg

Advertisement