Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Lorenzo: October 3/4 2019 **Technical Discussion Only**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

JCX BXC wrote: »
    This storm probably won't be significant for wind speeds, however for longevity of winds it will be notable.

Yeah, yet met had said it would be a very fast moving storm. I think that may had been yesterday's guidance?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

ECM 12Z showing lower wind speeds since the 0Z run.

NpBJKDo.png

UiVb0MS.png

XERPAyV.png

c9Tmt2q.png

DeVxpIZ.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Is the degradation on the satellite images expected? What are the chances that this might be downgraded by tomorrow?

Meteor... that wind later on the celtic sea though...
    Storm surge on southern coasts?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Too me, that looks like it has gotten slightly weaker overall but slightly stronger in cork county and Kerry as a whole. I could also just be going mad from looking at so many different graphs though.

• Advertisement

I'm really starting to think that this could be quite the flood event, with some trees down.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I'm really starting to think that this could be quite the flood event, with some trees down.

Where ?
    Those rainfall charts don’t show any excessive rain outside of northwest

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭endainoz

km79 wrote:
    Where ? Those rainfall charts don’t show any excessive rain outside of northwest

I'd say hes referring to coastal flooding. And going by the name I'd say county cork!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Storm surge coupled with high tides. The lee could burst her banks like she did a few years back. Folks in canoe's etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The marine warnings on met.ie which are for coastal waters, speak of strong gale force winds on all coasts and storm force in the west; cannot copy paste on this machine. Orange warning .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Hal1 wrote: »
    Storm surge coupled with high tides. The lee could burst her banks like she did a few years back. Folks in canoe's etc...

It's already burst its banks twice over the last week with the high tides. this could be even higher but depends on how it goes, usually happens with SE winds but this could be different.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

ECM has pared back rainfall totalls also a bit . Still quite wet in the W and NW.

WBWTbWZ.png

Meteor... that wind later on the celtic sea though...
    Storm surge on southern coasts?

By Fri morning you are talking about an offshore wind in the S and most of the higher surge would have been up along the SW and W the previous day . High tides getting lower now as well as we head towards neap tides . Rainfall in the S also does not look like a concern going by the present charts.

EwLvfpa.png

5gSCxu0.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

The euros and gfs/icon are quite different at only 24hours with the euros much keener on a sharp turn through Central Ireland. We should praise the model who gets it right. Time will tell.
    ECM looks severe enough to me

• Registered Users Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭pad199207

Any sparks with this one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Any sparks with this one?

You do know that electricity and water don't mix well !!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

This chart shows all of the possible solutions from this evening's ECM run for tomorrow midnight:

i4WIhr5.png

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    This chart shows all of the possible solutions from this evening's ECM run for tomorrow midnight:

i4WIhr5.png

281ug1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Darwin

With the inevitable comparisons to Ophelia, thought I would post a screengrab taken on the day of Ophelia:

UNe7ZD9.jpg

This is the short range wind forecast from met eireann for 3pm that day - will be interesting to see how Lorenzo compares as it moves in over the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

I was just looking at the hourly speeds for my location on met.ie. My highest winds are outside the orange warning, see attached.

forcast.JPG

Euro 4 eased back on the throttle also since the earlier runs. Slower to make it's turn over land so expending a lot of it's energy off the coasts. Still gusting up to around 120 km/h on W coasts.

anim_swz3.gif

anim_scg7.gif

euro4_uk1-25-43-0_cjc3.png

Miike wrote: »
    281ug1.jpg

This should be more palatable:
    uLDK0k9.png

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    This should be more palatable:

Sorry I was making a cheap joke <3

Miike wrote: »
    Sorry I was making a cheap joke <3
    I know!
    The chart just shows all the possible forecast locations for the storm low, which does look a bit jumbled because of the scale of the map, which unfortunately is all that is available on the site I took it from.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

George Lee, RTE News - only the second time in history for a hurricane to come in over us - the other being Ophelia just two years ago. Erm, Debbie 1961 George?

Danno wrote: »
    George Lee, RTE News - only the second time in history for a hurricane to come in over us - the other being Ophelia just two years ago. Erm, Debbie 1961 George?

Leaving aside Debby, Ophelia wasn't even a hurricane when hit Ireland. These people are utter morons.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭KingBobby

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    I was just looking at the hourly speeds for my location on met.ie. My highest winds are outside the orange warning, see attached.

For many locations met is showing the strongest winds in the morning or lunchtime

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Danno wrote: »

Total ramper!!! His reports today have pi**ed me off.

Arguably we have never had a hurricane come in over us and it's not happening tomorrow or Friday either!

• Advertisement

A reminder of the wind gust speeds from Hurricane Debby back in 1961, and these are in knots, not Km/h.

XR9x7GS.png

Entire forests were flattened around here in a matter of minutes during that storm.

New Moon

Advertisement