Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CB Radio

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

I just got an Intek H502, it certainly looks the part.

But here in Cork City all the channels are silent.

It's now scanning between Channel 19 and then 9 and I'm sure eventually it'll pick something up, or will it? I mean should I be listening in FM or AM and on which Channel 19, there are multiple Channel 19s, there is a "UK" one, an "EU" one, a "CEPT" one and so on. To avoid confusion can someone reply (in the next 2 years :)) with the actual frequency and modulation of the defacto Channel 19 here in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

vector wrote: »

It's now scanning between Channel 19 and then 9 and I'm sure eventually it'll pick something up, or will it? I mean should I be listening in FM or AM and on which Channel 19, there are multiple Channel 19s, there is a "UK" one, an "EU" one, a "CEPT" one and so on. To avoid confusion can someone reply (in the next 2 years :)) with the actual frequency and modulation of the defacto Channel 19 here in Ireland.
    I know nothing about the technical aspects of CB but I get Channel 19 on 27.1875 AM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Whats a Presedent Madison base station worth? Haven't used one of these in thirty years.

Back in 1979 it was the Dalkey Island Hotel every sunday morning for South siders club to meet up and I think the Stardust for North siders. BTW I was the Doodlebug. Others on at the time were Steam Whistle, the Conan, Rock Crusher, Sinbad, King Bee.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 B@ndit

Hi Vector,
    You may need to get a CB with the HIGH channels i.e. 27.415 and above, your current rig probably covers 26.965 to 27.405
    you will find plenty of activity on 27.555 USB (the international calling frequency) the radio you will need will have to have the modes USB (Upper sideband) and LSB (lower sideband) as well as AM and FM.

Im afraid you may be wasting your time with an AM/FM only radio. Try and get your hands on a radio as I have described and you will hear plenty of people. Are you operating from a house or a car? what antenna are you using? Channel 19 here in Ireland is 27.185.

regards

Steven

Whats a Presedent Madison base station worth? Haven't used one of these in thirty years.

Back in 1979 it was the Dalkey Island Hotel every sunday morning for South siders club to meet up and I think the Stardust for North siders. BTW I was the Doodlebug. Others on at the time were Steam Whistle, the Conan, Rock Crusher, Sinbad, King Bee.

President Madison would probably be worth €100 to €150 and that would be one in fairly good nick...

Steven.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭Psychobiker

27.555 is fairly active around Galway with us who are waiting to sit the exam next month.

Just had a natter to Germany on 26.865 FM :D, loud and clear (S7!) with a home-made 1/2w dipole...during the day on <50W.

L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 bobcat1968

DivX wrote: »
    So anyone remember their handle they used on the CB? mine was Robinhood.. :p

AFAIK it was never legalised in Ireland, i remember a few guys bought FM CB licences from the UK and thought it would cover them over here, that frequency range (27mhz or 11mtrs) is not even available for use by radio amateurs (HAMS) as of today.

Anyone do any DX'ing, used to look for contacts on the SSB, then exchanging QSL cards and postcards with these foreign CB users, usually Italy, Spain and the odd person from the US.
    CB is legal in Ireland on the standard CEPT 40 channels. 1 watt AM, 4 watts FM and 4 watts ssb. There are still quite a few operators up on whats known as Freeband. 27.555 been the International call channel on ssb. Channel 19 on Cept is still used by truckers. Unfortunately our hobby is now been eroded by Comreg giving out frequencies to Churches to Broadcast mass. Ironically these broadcast frequencies are the same the old post and telegraphs told us would stop heart machines in Hospitals and make airplanes crash. I use an active frequency down on 26.470 USB with a group of Friends.

You have one of the new Pan European AM/FM sets which can be programmed for most legal Euro channels. If you are using this set in Ireland programme it for Spain rather than EU or Cept as these bands only give 1 watt AM where as Spain gives 4 watts AM but on the same channels,get it? Its all about whats legal in certain parts of Europe. e.g you get 2 german modes and 2 Italian modes because in certain parts of those countries 22 Channels AM 1 watt is allowed. UK is a strange frequency giving to GB in 1981 which is FM and starts midway through the high band of a normal CB, I have one and its great for dx to uk when conditions are right. 73's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

bobcat1968, thanks for the 4 watt AM hint, perfect.

-listening on channel 19 AM, keep hearing Italian, why is it mostly italian? does everyone use 1000 W there?

• Advertisement

and how. you should listen 27.555

HOOOOOLA , HOOOOLA *whistle*

NSBRTGHNKSRNGSKGNEKSLRGTEKNGKNGRKEWGNERLKGNERGE!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

27.555 is a standard DX calling channel for USB. Hence the interference. Lots of DX'rs. I used to be one of them ;)

I DX too (Shhhhh!), but I at least wait to CQ.

Xavier Melendez and Giuseppi Bartolozzi need manners.

And dummy loads!! Or at least tune off-555 on keyed up AM.

L

Ah! lol

Apologies :)

PS: You forgot the "BEEP!"

I LOL'd!!

I stick to an almost licensed ethic on there. Callsign once usually, thrice in phonetics, CQ & QSY info x3 and then repeat at regular intervals. Everyone's clear what's going on then, no whistling or hooooola...hooooola. I'm not calling a ****ing dog here!

crucifix and brylcreem stuck to the desk mic? :p

Pumping out a kilowatt with your burner, frying televisions like a good'n.

• Advertisement

I do no such thing!

lol ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

check out http://CBKILLARNEY.bebo.com
    dedicated to CB radio and PMR446 In Munster.

CB Radio & The internet. Now there is two contrasting technologies. Internet is probably one of the main reasons it died out. I got a little marine radio for my boat last year. Roger bleeps brought back some memories.

CB19Kevo wrote: »
    check out http://CBKILLARNEY.bebo.com
    dedicated to CB radio and PMR446 In Munster.
    Hi Kevo what frequencies do you operate onx? ssb or fm?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

dlofnep wrote: »
    CB Radio & The internet. Now there is two contrasting technologies. Internet is probably one of the main reasons it died out. I got a little marine radio for my boat last year. Roger bleeps brought back some memories.

Mobile Phone and indeed landlines would be another reason. At the height of themy CB craze 1978 to 83 a lot of house holds didn't even have a house phone. This was brought to mind recenty ,I was watching the documentary on Bertie the other night and they had a clip of Albert Reynolds who was communications minister delivering a speech promising to intall more house phones.

B@ndit wrote: »
    President Madison would probably be worth €100 to €150 and that would be one in fairly good nick...

Steven.
    My old man still has it, base mike and all. Must dig it out and set it up some day.
    dlofnep wrote: »
    There yet may be a come back to CB radio among the criminal fraternity. With all this latest mobile phone surveylance, track & trace through cell site analysis, IP settings on the internet, criminals will find a lot more anonymity over the AM frequency. The authorities would have to physically record any messages unlike cell phones and internet where service providers and ISPs now retain retain data.

By the time the Authorities zoom in on an AM signal the culprits would have long gone. Crystal based AM has also the advantages of not leaving any digital fingerprints such as IMEI numbers as they are not traceable when they are in the receiving mode unlike cell phones and mobile broadband.

Is there a licence required for 27MHZ CB in Ireland? When I was into it it was a free for all, I gave up after the kids took over in the early 80ies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 kansol

Hi everyone, i'm new,

I try to find any information abaut cb radio. Someone can tell me, cb is illegal, or legal in ireland. I must have any license?

I have intek M490 plus with multi standard.(CE, SP, GE, I etc.), witch
    channel is for ireland? propably not UK (they have fm).

Thanks for all answeres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 landscaper

hi lads i am buying a 80 channel cb radio from moonraker 40 uk and 40eu is this a good cb radio to talk with people all over ireland im based in ballinasloe co galway and im new to this stuff so any help would be good
    Cheers
    Landscaper

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Does anyone out there remember using or do they still use the CB Radio these days.

Just wondering as I used to have one of these when I was about 12 or 13
    Or CB related songs."Convoy" and The Falls "im into CB".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭Antenna

kansol wrote: »
    I try to find any information abaut cb radio. Someone can tell me, cb is illegal, or legal in ireland. I must have any license?.

legal CBs (no licence needed) do only the CEPT 40 channels, with a max of 4 Watts FM, 1 Watt AM carrier, 4 Watt PEP SSB.

Any CBs with more channels than 40 (or the specific UK channels) or more power than the above is definately illegal in this country :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 kansol

hi, thanks for this, i have intek m 490 PLUS with MULTISTANDARD and there is 2 specific UK Channels,

"definately illegal in this country" :eek:

no way, i must hidden that

Bobcat - Sorry about the late reply but i just operate a midland alan 40 channel with a springer in the car and no modifications and have a cobra 2000 as a base set but having problems with that so will have to upgrade.
    Recently theres been a fresh interest shown, a lot of people asking me about where to get them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 landscaper

hi cheers for your reply, is there much activity on the cb radio is i would love to get one, i am studin for my amiture licence at the moment for ham as there is alot of chat on that from what i here on the scanner

Well, It depends where you are. I can say Waterford is very active, Clare and Kerry were active enough and bits of Cork are good aswell but i can't really say about the rest of the country. The sideband is very active in the midlands though.
    If your interested about CB in munster log onto - http://www.bebo.com/Munstercbradio.
    But ya you should borrow a CB and see if theres any activity.
    73's

• Advertisement

Another Good CB page - www.bebo.com/irishcbradio
    Its really becoming more mainstream recently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭Poutbutton

Just found the thread & it brings back memories of when I was a 10 year old & every time I'd swith on our Alba Record Player, you could hear the 2 teenagers across the road on their CB, I dont know how but you could, I often wondered if they could hear us switch it on or hear our records playing because there did come a time when the girl would say she was going off air because "the neighbours accross the road can hear us!" she & her older brother were mad into it. I've never even seen one. But the lingo was so funny "Breaker 1-9 over thats a rubber duck" what did it all mean I cant remember it now.

CB is still alive and well...
    and getting popular again.

see www.hotelromeo.net and listen out every night on 27.515 USB

regards

Steven.

B@ndit wrote: »
    CB is still alive and well...
    and getting popular again.

see www.hotelromeo.net and listen out every night on 27.515 USB

regards

Steven.

Steve, Whats it like on the local channels around westmeath. Getting very busy here in Cork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 reelax

Well well I came across this and was surprised. I remember Dalkey Island well. I also remember Doodlebug and the great craig we had on those Sundays seems a long time ago now. I would love to meet up with some of the old gang. Although in may not be possible as some have passed away. Sinbad has gone to the great 20 in the air. I'm not sure about others. Maybe you have had contact with some. Please let me know.
    KingBe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I used to have a Cobra 146GTL with sidebands. Before that I had a Midland 80ch unit. Both were designed for cars but I had a transformer for them. I used a Silver Rod aerial (the grief I had getting the SWR right was unbelievable!). I mounted it to the side of the house. IIRC, my callsign was 1-IDX-95 when I ran the skip but I cannot remember my usual handle!

CB was great. The mobile phone killed it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

I remember you well :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 TEN 2

I have just purchased a MUSTANG 1000 CB on EBAY from UK, this is an FM radio-just wonderin what the difference between AM/FM is? For example can an AM communicate with FM and vice-versa or is it only FM to FM and AM to AM? ANY HELP IS REALLY APPRECIATED. THANKS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 899 ✭✭✭bauderline

Fantastic thread... good to see there is still sporadic interest, it has been some 25 years since I used CB... bought a hygain unit off ebay about a year ago and finally hooked it up to magmount today.

Not getting much apart from some faint channels and MASS !!??

It's a 2795DX with AM/FM/USB/LSB...

I commute between Blanchardstown and Virginia Cavan. Let me know if there are any channels I should be listening in on for activity....

P.

• Advertisement

I too coommute between Clonmellon & Blanchardstown daily, I suggest you listen on either 27.555 USB or 27.515 USB (theres loads of lads on around Cavan etc every evening on 27.515, they also have a website www.hotelromeo.net I'll listen out for you on 27.555

Steven

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Tomazas

Hello fellas, I am new to CB radio crack but wondering for what purposes do you use it? From there I came from the lads are using to let the others know about the hot spots on the road (cops with a speed cameras, checkpoints and other usefull stuff like got puncture and have no jack to lift a car or maybe a spare tyre to change with) Anyway would be great to know if I would buy the thing could I get any use out of it or will it be only for a general chat on a road. Thanks for your replies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Some CB discussion on the Hobby radio forum

• Registered Users Posts: 49 aurawindsurfing

Hey Bandit,

Correct me if I'm wrong. Does anyone use standard 19 chanell in here (27,185 MHz) I get someone very rarely on it. Should I change to different radio as mine is standard 40 channel CB.

Thx a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 tullyjoe

Good thread here. Started in about 1987 with fidelity 3000 and dv27 aerial. Was still at secondary school but really got into it and the workings of it. Then got a GP 1/2 wave on a tree outside the bedroom window. Fidelity lay down and went away for a few years until 1991/2 and got a mustang with roger beep. Had some cash now so got a stalker 9fdx which was a fantastic rig. Loads of coverage and uk fm on it too. Lovely black and silver colour scheme with fake 27/81 logo on it. This got you past the cops when I had it in the car! Unfortunately this got stolen and was never seen again. Then I got a president grant that had some crazy conversion done to expend the coverage. You had to change channel by moving a 3 digit slector which was lashed on to the side of the chassis. This was a big rig with loads of knobs and was really on frequency, disaster in the car as channel change was impossible and no kc shift. Anyway, ended up with a superstar 3900 with 10 kc shift which is a nice original radio. Haven't had it on in years but I think I may still have the dv27 and a magmount base so this could be set up easy. What I always wanted though was a uniden 2830 or president lincoln. this was a popular set up in my area especially with antron 99 twig and a little bit of heat.

All the best

Joe

reelax wrote: »
    Well well I came across this and was surprised. I remember Dalkey Island well. I also remember Doodlebug and the great craig we had on those Sundays seems a long time ago now. I would love to meet up with some of the old gang. Although in may not be possible as some have passed away. Sinbad has gone to the great 20 in the air. I'm not sure about others. Maybe you have had contact with some. Please let me know.
    KingBe
    Kink Be scared the cr%p out of me when we met up, he was driving a Renault 4 P&T van :eek:

In those days we were led to believe that the P&T had the authority to confiscate any transmitting equipment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Magnum

My callsign used be 29/ST/106, for Dx'ing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭telecinesk

oh here, retro and all, kingbe i have stashed in attic no doubt some qsl cards from the 10.30 club, i remember the logo was map of ireland and 2 hands shaking or something, green in colour.. There was some article in "southside" about you with a photo of you and your rig in i guess shankill..

Also anyone remember QTH in Dun Laoghaire with the cobra2000 in the corner.. I suppose the motor registration office is still there in its place. Funny CB has snook in the backdoor still. Only thing i notice is Mass floating overseas on FM when the skip is running this side of the eu.

Also was having a funny chat with a mate about TVI, hah remember tvi.. Now we watch tv via satellite, so tvi has gone into the museum.Along with cable link, bbc2 7 rte2 on band 1. Good too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

Lads
    I was thinking of getting a CB for my campervan to talk with others while driving in convoy

What and where would you recommend? on a low budget

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

Back in the early 80s in Belfast it as quite easy to pick up ghost signals on FM (or VHF as we still called it) as long as you had a reasonably good radio and you knew which way to twist the aerial. The only radio stations broadcasting on FM were BBC Radio 2, Radio 3, Radio Ulster - which shared its frequency with Radio 4 - and Downtown Radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

and how. you should listen 27.555
    HOOOOOLA , HOOOOLA *whistle* NSBRTGHNKSRNGSKGNEKSLRGTEKNGKNGRKEWGNERLKGNERGE!!

Just to bring this uptodate: the above is STILL there! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement