Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CB Radio

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

27.555 is a standard DX calling channel for USB. Hence the interference. Lots of DX'rs. I used to be one of them ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Psychobiker

I DX too (Shhhhh!), but I at least wait to CQ.

Xavier Melendez and Giuseppi Bartolozzi need manners.

And dummy loads!! Or at least tune off-555 on keyed up AM.

L

Ah! lol

Apologies :)

PS: You forgot the "BEEP!"

I LOL'd!!

I stick to an almost licensed ethic on there. Callsign once usually, thrice in phonetics, CQ & QSY info x3 and then repeat at regular intervals. Everyone's clear what's going on then, no whistling or hooooola...hooooola. I'm not calling a ****ing dog here!

crucifix and brylcreem stuck to the desk mic? :p

Pumping out a kilowatt with your burner, frying televisions like a good'n.

• Advertisement

I do no such thing!

lol ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

check out http://CBKILLARNEY.bebo.com
    dedicated to CB radio and PMR446 In Munster.

CB Radio & The internet. Now there is two contrasting technologies. Internet is probably one of the main reasons it died out. I got a little marine radio for my boat last year. Roger bleeps brought back some memories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 bobcat1968

CB19Kevo wrote: »
    check out http://CBKILLARNEY.bebo.com
    dedicated to CB radio and PMR446 In Munster.
    Hi Kevo what frequencies do you operate onx? ssb or fm?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

dlofnep wrote: »
    CB Radio & The internet. Now there is two contrasting technologies. Internet is probably one of the main reasons it died out. I got a little marine radio for my boat last year. Roger bleeps brought back some memories.

Mobile Phone and indeed landlines would be another reason. At the height of themy CB craze 1978 to 83 a lot of house holds didn't even have a house phone. This was brought to mind recenty ,I was watching the documentary on Bertie the other night and they had a clip of Albert Reynolds who was communications minister delivering a speech promising to intall more house phones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

B@ndit wrote: »
    President Madison would probably be worth €100 to €150 and that would be one in fairly good nick...

Steven.
    My old man still has it, base mike and all. Must dig it out and set it up some day.
    dlofnep wrote: »
    There yet may be a come back to CB radio among the criminal fraternity. With all this latest mobile phone surveylance, track & trace through cell site analysis, IP settings on the internet, criminals will find a lot more anonymity over the AM frequency. The authorities would have to physically record any messages unlike cell phones and internet where service providers and ISPs now retain retain data.

By the time the Authorities zoom in on an AM signal the culprits would have long gone. Crystal based AM has also the advantages of not leaving any digital fingerprints such as IMEI numbers as they are not traceable when they are in the receiving mode unlike cell phones and mobile broadband.

Is there a licence required for 27MHZ CB in Ireland? When I was into it it was a free for all, I gave up after the kids took over in the early 80ies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 kansol

Hi everyone, i'm new,

I try to find any information abaut cb radio. Someone can tell me, cb is illegal, or legal in ireland. I must have any license?

I have intek M490 plus with multi standard.(CE, SP, GE, I etc.), witch
    channel is for ireland? propably not UK (they have fm).

Thanks for all answeres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 landscaper

hi lads i am buying a 80 channel cb radio from moonraker 40 uk and 40eu is this a good cb radio to talk with people all over ireland im based in ballinasloe co galway and im new to this stuff so any help would be good
    Cheers
    Landscaper

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Does anyone out there remember using or do they still use the CB Radio these days.

Just wondering as I used to have one of these when I was about 12 or 13
    Or CB related songs."Convoy" and The Falls "im into CB".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭Antenna

kansol wrote: »
    I try to find any information abaut cb radio. Someone can tell me, cb is illegal, or legal in ireland. I must have any license?.

legal CBs (no licence needed) do only the CEPT 40 channels, with a max of 4 Watts FM, 1 Watt AM carrier, 4 Watt PEP SSB.

Any CBs with more channels than 40 (or the specific UK channels) or more power than the above is definately illegal in this country :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 kansol

hi, thanks for this, i have intek m 490 PLUS with MULTISTANDARD and there is 2 specific UK Channels,

"definately illegal in this country" :eek:

no way, i must hidden that

Bobcat - Sorry about the late reply but i just operate a midland alan 40 channel with a springer in the car and no modifications and have a cobra 2000 as a base set but having problems with that so will have to upgrade.
    Recently theres been a fresh interest shown, a lot of people asking me about where to get them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 landscaper

hi cheers for your reply, is there much activity on the cb radio is i would love to get one, i am studin for my amiture licence at the moment for ham as there is alot of chat on that from what i here on the scanner

Well, It depends where you are. I can say Waterford is very active, Clare and Kerry were active enough and bits of Cork are good aswell but i can't really say about the rest of the country. The sideband is very active in the midlands though.
    If your interested about CB in munster log onto - http://www.bebo.com/Munstercbradio.
    But ya you should borrow a CB and see if theres any activity.
    73's

• Advertisement

Another Good CB page - www.bebo.com/irishcbradio
    Its really becoming more mainstream recently

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Poutbutton

Just found the thread & it brings back memories of when I was a 10 year old & every time I'd swith on our Alba Record Player, you could hear the 2 teenagers across the road on their CB, I dont know how but you could, I often wondered if they could hear us switch it on or hear our records playing because there did come a time when the girl would say she was going off air because "the neighbours accross the road can hear us!" she & her older brother were mad into it. I've never even seen one. But the lingo was so funny "Breaker 1-9 over thats a rubber duck" what did it all mean I cant remember it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 B@ndit

CB is still alive and well...
    and getting popular again.

see www.hotelromeo.net and listen out every night on 27.515 USB

regards

Steven.

B@ndit wrote: »
    CB is still alive and well...
    and getting popular again.

see www.hotelromeo.net and listen out every night on 27.515 USB

regards

Steven.

Steve, Whats it like on the local channels around westmeath. Getting very busy here in Cork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 reelax

Whats a Presedent Madison base station worth? Haven't used one of these in thirty years.

Back in 1979 it was the Dalkey Island Hotel every sunday morning for South siders club to meet up and I think the Stardust for North siders. BTW I was the Doodlebug. Others on at the time were Steam Whistle, the Conan, Rock Crusher, Sinbad, King Bee.

Well well I came across this and was surprised. I remember Dalkey Island well. I also remember Doodlebug and the great craig we had on those Sundays seems a long time ago now. I would love to meet up with some of the old gang. Although in may not be possible as some have passed away. Sinbad has gone to the great 20 in the air. I'm not sure about others. Maybe you have had contact with some. Please let me know.
    KingBe

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I used to have a Cobra 146GTL with sidebands. Before that I had a Midland 80ch unit. Both were designed for cars but I had a transformer for them. I used a Silver Rod aerial (the grief I had getting the SWR right was unbelievable!). I mounted it to the side of the house. IIRC, my callsign was 1-IDX-95 when I ran the skip but I cannot remember my usual handle!

CB was great. The mobile phone killed it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

I remember you well :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 TEN 2

I have just purchased a MUSTANG 1000 CB on EBAY from UK, this is an FM radio-just wonderin what the difference between AM/FM is? For example can an AM communicate with FM and vice-versa or is it only FM to FM and AM to AM? ANY HELP IS REALLY APPRECIATED. THANKS

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭bauderline

Fantastic thread... good to see there is still sporadic interest, it has been some 25 years since I used CB... bought a hygain unit off ebay about a year ago and finally hooked it up to magmount today.

Not getting much apart from some faint channels and MASS !!??

It's a 2795DX with AM/FM/USB/LSB...

I commute between Blanchardstown and Virginia Cavan. Let me know if there are any channels I should be listening in on for activity....

P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 B@ndit

I too coommute between Clonmellon & Blanchardstown daily, I suggest you listen on either 27.555 USB or 27.515 USB (theres loads of lads on around Cavan etc every evening on 27.515, they also have a website www.hotelromeo.net I'll listen out for you on 27.555

Steven

Advertisement