Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CB Radio

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Mad...a bumped thread that's so old I don't remember typing the reply I gave on page in 2004.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 StephenC

Hi everyone. Just wondering is there anyone living in Dublin City who still use their Cb Radios..cause im thinking of gettin a new one. At the moment i have a normal Alan 99 40 CH AM Cb Radio but i cant pick up anything really, Ive tried Ch 11 and could someone talking but they couldnt hear me..and as for Ch 19 i think it is for truckers...cant hear anythin.

Could anyone please tell me what would be a good Cb Radio to buy and a aerial that i suitable for Dublin area where you can get good range in reception?

Cheers thanks.

P.s. my email is steve89@eircom.net

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

You may find it a little hard picking up anything on a 40 box now, Ive not heard anything round those channels in a long time (ok so i'm down in Wicklow now and out of range of Dublin i suppose but here they are empty too).

Most of the 'action' would be up the higher channels on USB (upper side band) I would presume, Frequency: 27.405 to 28.000 MHz (or channel 40 to 80)

You could have a look in CQ communications on Ormond Quay beside the millennium bridge for radios, they are nearest to you I would think.
    They have or can get radio gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 StephenC

Hi Thats great thanks a million.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Vmaxer

There is still a lot of activity on 27.485 USB in Dublin, If You are shopping for a Rig You should look in the Buy and Sell, If You can find a second hand Presiden Lincoln or similar, something that has USB (Upper Side Band) and an Antron A99 antenna for a Home Base set up or if You are going mobile pick up a Wilson 1000 Antenna. When conditions are right there is still a lot of activity on 27.555 USB I was recently talking to a Guy in upstate NewYork from My car pushing 100w, But I have also made contact with people in Europe and the States on the standard 20w the Lincoln will give You..
    Hope to catch You out there on the air Waves..Good Luck..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I used to operate the radio about 6 or 7 years ago. I stayed on for maybe 2 years or so, operating on the 11m band. Modest setup, superstar 3900 and a homemade dipole antenna (that i've got contacts from poland to the US with).. I then dabbled in amatuer radio (2m band) for a few months, but I lost interest afterwards.. Studied for my B license. Can't remember any of it today though.. The skip was also very poor for dxing on the 11m band, so I lost interest in that too. As did my friends.

I'm getting myself a very modest am/fm kit set back up in my car - Just for something to keep in touch with a few friends when we go driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 skodacbradio

hey dlofnep and all u other people, cb radio aint dead in fact it is coming back go out to tramore on a sat night or when a cruise is on in town you see the boy racers with their whips and talking away i use one to keep in contact with some of me friends and i persuading others to get em, after all they ain't illeagal to talk on while driving as is a mobile phone also there is one thing the 10 codes or the q codes and handles arent used really anymore also dlofnep seeing as you live in waterford what ya driving ?and did you know someone on the cb with the handle of vamp bout 10-15 yrs ago. also could someone tell me this why is channel 4 (truckers channel) scrambled here in waterford and is there a way of unscrambling it. 10-4

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

I started with my first rig in the very late 1980s ( i think ). It was a Moonraker 40ch UKFM set. Various rigs later, I eventually got an AM 40ch set where all the action was. It was a President Jimmy...great lil set. I then moved onto a EuroCB multiband SSB set. POS really.

Anyway, those were the days on Ch22 AM in the Dun Laoghaire area...up till all hours nattering away and not being able to get up for school in the morning.

It would be nice to see a revival of CB radio, but it will never be the same with the blow-ins of today

Channel 22 Eh? I remember that...

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

hi peter

remeber we used to send all the "radio check"ers down to you on channel 1? or was it 11?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

wow sorry for diggin up an old thread but it has been dug up a few times now since 2004.. hehe

i used to be on the CB around 1995 till about 2000 in dublin lived over on the northside.. my handle was Keith Sutton.. we all had a name and area as call signs.. anyone from here used to be on around then? we used to go karting all the time and over to wales on the booze cruise and all, it was brilliant craic.. met some of the best people ever on the cb around then.. i moved to waterford in 2000 and have never even keyed up the radio since leaving.. i scanned around once or twice, but just found lads milling around in cars, f**ing and blinding on the air, and not really having a good chat.. back about 10 years ago it was great.. like one of the previous posters said.. you could bearly get a free channel sometimes... and everyone had something interesting to talk about.. we used to meet up in the summit carpark a few nights a week and chat away to the lads in bray and sometime do a bit of long distance DXing i recently got bitten by the bug again and have blown the dust off some of my gear.. and next time im in dublin im gonna fill a box with all the gear i left up there.. hope their are a few radio nut's down hee in waterford.. :o

humaxf1 wrote:
    hi peter

remeber we used to send all the "radio check"ers down to you on channel 1? or was it 11?

Wow thats right! How come I never found this reply before now? Sorry about late reply.

Anyway guys, we have a new forum on boards just for CB/
    Hobby Radio!/ham, have a look!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

god's toy wrote:
    Wow thats right! How come I never found this reply before now? Sorry about late reply.

Anyway guys, we have a new forum on boards just for CB/
    Hobby Radio!/ham, have a look!

rock on!! im gone!! cheers for that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 music_mike

hope people still see this post,some really interesting stuff has been said and................well..................im on a mobile cb radio buzz now.would any of you dublin guys have 1 in your attic that would still be working?im broke and dont want a real bad 1 ye know!please pass on the fun if your not using yours.thanks

mike
    10 - 4

• Registered Users Posts: 24,959 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I heard an accident 'live' on the CB last week. I was travelling to Cork and had it on as usual. Near New Inn (Co Tipperary) I was listening to two truckers having a nonchalant conversation. All of a sudden one of them transmits a volley of expletives -"holy fúck, fúckin hell, mother of Jesus" etc. The truck travelling up ahead of him had just collided with another. I knew it was ahead of me and sure enough, a minute later, there it was - a car transporter and a Coca Cola truck enbedded in each other.

(PS - I didn't hear how the drivers were. the one in the Coke truck appeared to be trapped. I hope he was ok.)

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

I Inherited an old Sharp 40CH AM CB - I think it is bust now but contemplated getting it fixed just to see if anyone is on air nowadays - or maybe invest in a 2ndhander would be cheaper?

hey dlofnep and all u other people, cb radio aint dead in fact it is coming back go out to tramore on a sat night or when a cruise is on in town you see the boy racers with their whips and talking away i use one to keep in contact with some of me friends and i persuading others to get em, after all they ain't illeagal to talk on while driving as is a mobile phone also there is one thing the 10 codes or the q codes and handles arent used really anymore also dlofnep seeing as you live in waterford what ya driving ?and did you know someone on the cb with the handle of vamp bout 10-15 yrs ago. also could someone tell me this why is channel 4 (truckers channel) scrambled here in waterford and is there a way of unscrambling it. 10-4

Hey sorry for the late reply. I believe that frequency was a test frequency - which is why it emitted a static signal. I can't remember though, it's been such a long time since. I was dxing around 98-00 I'd imagine.. Maybe 97. The real old school guys from Waterford would of been my friend's father who was in the Waterford Bravo Whiskey group way back when.

I found a few of my old QSL cards from dxing.. What's the skip like these days anyways? I think with the popularity of the internet, I'd imagine dxing to be a dieing medium?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 B@ndit

Hi lads,
    CB is alive and well...
    theres a network every night on 27.515 USB, those with AM sets only will not get us,,, we are on the HI channels on channel 9 upper side band. (USB)

We are all fairly high above sea level and some of the lads have no problem working any of the 32 counties... we are mainly located around the midlands and would be glad to hear any stations wishing to make a comeback... were on the web too www.hotelromeo.net

anybody out there wishing to buy and sell radio equipment should check out the buy and sell page on the site...

best regards

Steven.

Good to here - I don't have a rig at the moment. Might set back up again soon.

dlofnep wrote: »
    Good to here - I don't have a rig at the moment. Might set back up again soon.

If youre looking for a rig, new or secondhand check out the buy and sell page at www.hotelromeo.net or also check out www.scorpiontechnology.ie

regards

Steven.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

I just got an Intek H502, it certainly looks the part.

But here in Cork City all the channels are silent.

It's now scanning between Channel 19 and then 9 and I'm sure eventually it'll pick something up, or will it? I mean should I be listening in FM or AM and on which Channel 19, there are multiple Channel 19s, there is a "UK" one, an "EU" one, a "CEPT" one and so on. To avoid confusion can someone reply (in the next 2 years :)) with the actual frequency and modulation of the defacto Channel 19 here in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,959 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

vector wrote: »

It's now scanning between Channel 19 and then 9 and I'm sure eventually it'll pick something up, or will it? I mean should I be listening in FM or AM and on which Channel 19, there are multiple Channel 19s, there is a "UK" one, an "EU" one, a "CEPT" one and so on. To avoid confusion can someone reply (in the next 2 years :)) with the actual frequency and modulation of the defacto Channel 19 here in Ireland.
    I know nothing about the technical aspects of CB but I get Channel 19 on 27.1875 AM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Whats a Presedent Madison base station worth? Haven't used one of these in thirty years.

Back in 1979 it was the Dalkey Island Hotel every sunday morning for South siders club to meet up and I think the Stardust for North siders. BTW I was the Doodlebug. Others on at the time were Steam Whistle, the Conan, Rock Crusher, Sinbad, King Bee.

Hi Vector,
    You may need to get a CB with the HIGH channels i.e. 27.415 and above, your current rig probably covers 26.965 to 27.405
    you will find plenty of activity on 27.555 USB (the international calling frequency) the radio you will need will have to have the modes USB (Upper sideband) and LSB (lower sideband) as well as AM and FM.

Im afraid you may be wasting your time with an AM/FM only radio. Try and get your hands on a radio as I have described and you will hear plenty of people. Are you operating from a house or a car? what antenna are you using? Channel 19 here in Ireland is 27.185.

regards

Steven

Whats a Presedent Madison base station worth? Haven't used one of these in thirty years.

Back in 1979 it was the Dalkey Island Hotel every sunday morning for South siders club to meet up and I think the Stardust for North siders. BTW I was the Doodlebug. Others on at the time were Steam Whistle, the Conan, Rock Crusher, Sinbad, King Bee.

President Madison would probably be worth €100 to €150 and that would be one in fairly good nick...

Steven.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Psychobiker

27.555 is fairly active around Galway with us who are waiting to sit the exam next month.

Just had a natter to Germany on 26.865 FM :D, loud and clear (S7!) with a home-made 1/2w dipole...during the day on <50W.

L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 bobcat1968

DivX wrote: »
    So anyone remember their handle they used on the CB? mine was Robinhood.. :p

AFAIK it was never legalised in Ireland, i remember a few guys bought FM CB licences from the UK and thought it would cover them over here, that frequency range (27mhz or 11mtrs) is not even available for use by radio amateurs (HAMS) as of today.

Anyone do any DX'ing, used to look for contacts on the SSB, then exchanging QSL cards and postcards with these foreign CB users, usually Italy, Spain and the odd person from the US.
    CB is legal in Ireland on the standard CEPT 40 channels. 1 watt AM, 4 watts FM and 4 watts ssb. There are still quite a few operators up on whats known as Freeband. 27.555 been the International call channel on ssb. Channel 19 on Cept is still used by truckers. Unfortunately our hobby is now been eroded by Comreg giving out frequencies to Churches to Broadcast mass. Ironically these broadcast frequencies are the same the old post and telegraphs told us would stop heart machines in Hospitals and make airplanes crash. I use an active frequency down on 26.470 USB with a group of Friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 bobcat1968

You have one of the new Pan European AM/FM sets which can be programmed for most legal Euro channels. If you are using this set in Ireland programme it for Spain rather than EU or Cept as these bands only give 1 watt AM where as Spain gives 4 watts AM but on the same channels,get it? Its all about whats legal in certain parts of Europe. e.g you get 2 german modes and 2 Italian modes because in certain parts of those countries 22 Channels AM 1 watt is allowed. UK is a strange frequency giving to GB in 1981 which is FM and starts midway through the high band of a normal CB, I have one and its great for dx to uk when conditions are right. 73's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

bobcat1968, thanks for the 4 watt AM hint, perfect.

-listening on channel 19 AM, keep hearing Italian, why is it mostly italian? does everyone use 1000 W there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Psychobiker

and how. you should listen 27.555

HOOOOOLA , HOOOOLA *whistle*

NSBRTGHNKSRNGSKGNEKSLRGTEKNGKNGRKEWGNERLKGNERGE!!

Advertisement