Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What do you believe happens when we die

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

I think many draw, unconsciously or otherwise, what they feel is "comfort" from their belief that they answer to no higher moral, or ultimate, authority than that of their own conscience.

Many would be more than a little discombobulated if they were confronted with irrefutable proof that God and an afterlife exists... they would certainly suffer some... discomfort.

As well as being a great source of centering and grounding, "faith" is also a great challenge.

I think "faith" can be better regarded as a great, unshakable source of hope, rather than earthly comfort. And hope, for me anyway, is far better.

Hope is good, I think that's a good way to live.

I find living a life of hope and comfort more appealing than being obsessed with living a life of no hope or faith rather disturbing to be honest.

I don't believe in the Abrahamic God myself being a pagan.
    But I have other hopes and a faith not so different from yourself.

You'll have to remember that regular posters here will dispute with that suggestion until the cow's come home :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

The brave and true to themselves people are those who acknowledge that there is no existence after death.

I'm afraid this kind of absolutest statement is one I have to disagree with as the fact is no-one knows what happens after death so claiming there is no existence is as much conjecture as claiming there is an afterlife.

I also find it interesting the need to claim that those who believe as you do are "brave and true" - how is that different from claiming that those who disagree are cowardly and dishonest?

Unless you can prove there is nothing then isn't it the case that your 'brave and true' belief is based not on evidence but on what you wish it to be - the thing that brings you comfort and no more or less valid than any other belief?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

nthclare wrote: »
    I've experienced atheists say this to thiests and they seem to think we're basically an organic computer that shuts down and rots. And they play on it for a reaction.
    You should be aware that, sometimes, a person says something - not because some religious person is listening and might, yet again, get all hot and bothered and brexity, but - because they think it's true.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

robindch wrote: »
    You should be aware that, sometimes, a person says something - not because some religious person is listening and might, yet again, get all hot and bothered and brexity, but - because they think it's true.

Sometimes is a powerful word, so is maybe.

But I know what you mean, we all have our off day's and thankfully we're not programmed the same.
    What light's up your neurons might not necessarily fire up mine or visa versa, but at least we have the ability to accept that we're not all the same.

It would be quite boring if we were all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭one world order

There's one of 2 places people's souls go to when they finish this world, either heaven or hell. Most people end up in hell for eternity. This world is controlled by the Devil and his finger print is all around us. We have a choice to make, as God has given us free will to choose. Do we put our trust in this world and be deceived by the devil or do we put our trust in the bible and follow God. It's the biggest decision one will make in this world, which those controlling it at the top are fully aware of. Those who control the global financial system wouldn't be worshipping Lucifer in satanic rituals if he and his demons were not real. They also wouldn't be working behind the scenes to influence the media, film, music industries and education system to implement their agenda if God and the Devil were not real.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭muddled1

I'm Agnostic (theist) - hoping for eternal life, dreading that we cease to exist, but really have no way of having a solid "belief" of what happens,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Many would be more than a little discombobulated if they were confronted with irrefutable proof that God and an afterlife exists... they would certainly suffer some... discomfort.

?? If god and an afterlife of heaven exists, the why hang around on earth and suffer? Any rational person would be on the next bus.

Excluding any nonsense of this place called heaven, we are left with 2 options, one is that Kansas are indeed correct and we are dust in the wind, the other is that consciousness doesn’t rely on the physical body to continue existing, and that memory does rely on the physical, therefore consciousness can continue to exist without us knowing.

There's one of 2 places people's souls go to when they finish this world, either heaven or hell. Most people end up in hell for eternity. This world is controlled by the Devil and his finger print is all around us. We have a choice to make, as God has given us free will to choose. Do we put our trust in this world and be deceived by the devil or do we put our trust in the bible and follow God. It's the biggest decision one will make in this world, which those controlling it at the top are fully aware of. Those who control the global financial system wouldn't be worshipping Lucifer in satanic rituals if he and his demons were not real. They also wouldn't be working behind the scenes to influence the media, film, music industries and education system to implement their agenda if God and the Devil were not real.

Let me see if I have this right chief, god created the world for the devil to control, then gave people free will to choose one of two options, either the devil or god, neither of which has a grain of actual proof, and if they choose the wrong one then they will live eternally in this place called hell?

There used to be purgatory until it was decided that it wasn't useful any more.

You have proof I assume all these financial wheelers and dealers, including people like trump, who you have supported numerous times on here, are satanic believers that your willing to share?

I do believe people can be bad bastards, not arguing this, but they tend to get the unlimited support of religious people when it suits there agenda. Some of them are even religious preachers like ian paisley, and that's even before looking at the send money now, we can cure homosexuals religious folks in the u.s., and a few other religions nutters of all denominations.

I sort of feel sorry for people who can't take any joy out of the world and have to try and make everyone else as miserable.
    Looking at it critically you would have to say that those who claim to be religious seem to be doing and condoning a lot evil acts with their followers saying that every else is the work of the devil.

begbysback wrote: »
    Let me see if I have this right chief, god created the world for the devil to control, then gave people free will to choose one of two options, either the devil or god, neither of which has a grain of actual proof, and if they choose the wrong one then they will live eternally in this place called hell?

When a soul is created, it cannot be destroyed. You are either with God or with the Devil. When Lucifer was a high ranking angel in heaven he wanted to be God and have everyone worship him. There was a war where one third of the angels following Lucifer were defeated and casted down to earth. You now have a similar choice, do you follow the world and thereby the devil or do you reject the world and put your trust in Jesus Christ as your saviour from this sinful and corrupt world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,050 ✭✭✭✭looksee

When a soul is created, it cannot be destroyed. You are either with God or with the Devil. When Lucifer was a high ranking angel in heaven he wanted to be God and have everyone worship him. There was a war where one third of the angels following Lucifer were defeated and casted down to earth. You now have a similar choice, do you follow the world and thereby the devil or do you reject the world and put your trust in Jesus Christ as your saviour from this sinful and corrupt world.

And all this is your opinion. It is not mine. There is absolutely no way you can show me you are 'right' because opinion is not fact.

So god has a troublemaker in the ranks, an apparently very powerful troublemaker too, so why did god decide to send lucifer to earth, what did we do to deserve that? Why not send him to mars or Pluto, solitary confinement like? Maybe god did send him to here and then realized he fcuked up, in an attempt to make amends he then sent his son who got crucified.

You gotta admit, god ain’t the best pilot here now is he?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's a deathly boring story if there's no devil, no-one would have paid heed to it.
    for example, 'se7en' would have been a much more low key movie without the serial killer in it. it'd just have been a movie about a young detective's wife dealing with a pregnancy she wasn't sure she was going to tell her partner about.

begbysback wrote: »
    So god has a troublemaker in the ranks, an apparently very powerful troublemaker too, so why did god decide to send lucifer to earth, what did we do to deserve that? Why not send him to mars or Pluto, solitary confinement like? Maybe god did send him to here and then realized he fcuked up, in an attempt to make amends he then sent his son who got crucified.

You gotta admit, god ain’t the best pilot here now is he?

We are made in God's image, but some of us are rebellious and reject God no matter what. If the Devil wasn't here we would not need to seek God out for spiritual protection. It's like sorting the good grain from the weeds. God sent many messengers throughout history, they were rejected by many and accepted by few. Those who reject the gospel are with the Devil and as God is the judge, there must be a judgement based on the decision we make while here in this world.

looksee wrote: »
    And all this is your opinion. It is not mine. There is absolutely no way you can show me you are 'right' because opinion is not fact.

If you read the bible you would know it is from God. It predicted a falling away from the church and people being proud of their sin before the tribulation and return of Jesus. Look at how people are behaving today, following the media, being outraged and under the control of those working in the background.

If the Devil wasn't here we would not need to seek God out for spiritual protection.

So god sent the devil to here so we would then need to seek god for protection from the devil, whom god sent here in the first place?

I’m getting less and less convinced that god is the best man for this almighty job, in fact if I applied his standard in my job then my manager would have fired my ass a long time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,426 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

If you read the bible you would know it is from God. It predicted a falling away from the church and people being proud of their sin before the tribulation and return of Jesus. Look at how people are behaving today, following the media, being outraged and under the control of those working in the background.

A stopped clock is still right twice a day.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

o1s1n wrote: »
    A stopped clock is still right twice a day.

Not if it's a digital 24 hour clock.
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,336 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

There's one of 2 places people's souls go to when they finish this world, either heaven or hell.

Going on previous encounters with you I am going to assume that if I ask you to substantiate these claims you will either run away and not reply, or reply with posts that absolutely contain no substantiation but deflections?

Or have you FINALLY come up with some evidence for the things you soap box periodically?

Because generally it seems you have one thing you want people to believe, and your SOLE approach for trying to make them believe it is to make other stuff up to sound scary. It's basically "Believe me, or bad bad things will happen to you".

Threatening people is poor form. Are vicarious threats any better? By your fruits you shall know them indeed!!!
    We are made in God's image, but some of us are rebellious and reject God no matter what.

I can not reject peas at dinner if you offer me an empty bowl. I can not reject what is not there. What I DO reject, openly and honestly, is your unsubstantiated assertions that there is a god in the first place.
    If you read the bible you would know it is from God.

No cigar there kid. I have read it. Multiple times. Multiple versions.

The funny thing is the number of people who claim to be Christian who have not bothered to read it. Hell many of them have not even SEEN one, let alone READ one in my experience.

Makes you wonder if people really believe, or do they just like to signal to others that they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭firemansam4

We are made in God's image, but some of us are rebellious and reject God no matter what. If the Devil wasn't here we would not need to seek God out for spiritual protection. It's like sorting the good grain from the weeds. God sent many messengers throughout history, they were rejected by many and accepted by few. Those who reject the gospel are with the Devil and as God is the judge, there must be a judgement based on the decision we make while here in this world.

So if people who are decent in life but just don't believe things written in some book and don't believe what the church tries to teech, a church in itself who covered up heinous crimes to preserve itself.
    They are then classed as the weeds by God because in his eyes they have rejected him.

This does not sound like a god of love and understanding, more like a very cruel god of vengeance.

The Bible is full of many contradictions and inconsistencies. I'm sure it wouldn't have required much foresight to figure out that one day people would start to question this stuff written down in this book so they predicted people would stop believing in it.

• Advertisement

So if people who are decent in life but just don't believe things written in some book and don't believe what the church tries to teech, a church in itself who covered up heinous crimes to preserve itself.
    They are then classed as the weeds by God because in his eyes they have rejected him.

This does not sound like a god of love and understanding, more like a very cruel god of vengeance.

The Bible is full of many contradictions and inconsistencies. I'm sure it wouldn't have required much foresight to figure out that one day people would start to question this stuff written down in this book so they predicted people would stop believing in it.

If people are decent in life and reject the gospel then yes, their soul goes down to hell. We are all sinful and fall short of God's standard. To say otherwise you are calling God a liar. That is why we needed a saviour. You see so many wicked people accepting Christ as their saviour and the holy spirit giving them a new heart with new intentions. They become a new creation with the holy spirit working inside them. This is why the devil is working so hard to trick people and make it a joke, you see it in cartoons, sitcoms, films, etc. By thinking it is not all true, these people while decent are doomed to hell when their time is up here.

where were you before you were born?

that's where you are heading back to.

if it's something, it's not something that was ever 'you' as you currently exist, so talk of souls or a link between this life and any other mode of existence seems like a reach to me.

talk of 'souls' just strikes me as fairytale stuff, if im honest.

personally, i dont believe in anything more than the organic. life is complex. consciousness is so complex it may never be mapped in a way that makes it comprehensible to science or theory. that's fine by me, the gap is where the wonder and beauty is.

just dont feel the need to fill it with religion nor the trappings thereof.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,426 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

If people are decent in life and reject the gospel then yes, their soul goes down to hell.

Why would you want anything to do with such an asshole of a god?

Eternal sleep. The body decays but the sentient life form does not. Soul, conscience or whatever you wish to call it remains.

No heaven with others, just dreams with your memory of others

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

I believe that we go to a nicer place providing we were ok ppl on earth and we team up with all those who affected us positively on earth and as a Christian I believe in heaven and this place I now live as at times hell, maybe that sounds simplistic but that’s me, I hope to meet my dead sons,parents, brothers and sister and friends again

o1s1n wrote: »
    Why would you want anything to do with such an asshole of a god?

God is loving, he doesn't want anyone to go to hell. Anyone who accepts Jesus Christ and has the holy spirit in them will be saved. It is our own choosing to reject that gift and instead follow the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

God is loving, he doesn't want anyone to go to hell. Anyone who accepts Jesus Christ and has the holy spirit in them will be saved. It is our own choosing to reject that gift and instead follow the world.

We'll I'd rather go to hell than be forced to believe in Jesus Christ and some God. God is within us all not above us controlling everyone and everything. So you don't need God or to believe in Jesus Christ when God is within each and everyone one of us.

We'll I'd rather go to hell than be forced to believe in Jesus Christ and some God. God is within us all not above us controlling everyone and everything. So you don't need God or to believe in Jesus Christ when God is within each and everyone one of us.

No you don't. Hell is where demons reside, tormenting you for your foolishness. You need Jesus. There is a spiritual realm that we can't see or physically touch, but it is there. What happens in the spiritual realm manifests in the physical realm. Jesus has the power to expel demons. Over the last 2,000 years right up today, people have been forcing out demons from people in the name of Jesus Christ. When God judges you and you have accepted Christ as your saviour, your sins are forgiven as Jesus already paid for your punishment on the cross. When you reject Jesus you will be cast down to hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,050 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I spent most of my teens reading the bible, teaching sunday school and attending services. My opinions come from an informed viewpoint. I enjoyed my teens, and at the time went along with the church stuff because I enjoyed the social aspect. Even then I was not convinced, which was why I gave up sunday school teaching.

What you are talking about is more myth and dogma. I don't recall Jesus teaching any of the extreme stuff, the hate and disgust and despair you want us to take on board.

I have no problem accepting that a carpenter's son was a charismatic teacher some 2000 years ago, and he had followers who spread his word. You really don't have to look beyond the influencers, celebrities, presidents and tv evangelists to know that some people can do this, and others are more than willing to follow - it saves them from thinking for themselves.

All the convoluted horror stories that have been added in 2000 years are so much nonsense though, added solely for the purpose of garnering power and followers by the devious, for the ignorant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

No you don't. Hell is where demons reside, tormenting you for your foolishness. You need Jesus. There is a spiritual realm that we can't see or physically touch, but it is there. What happens in the spiritual realm manifests in the physical realm. Jesus has the power to expel demons. Over the last 2,000 years right up today, people have been forcing out demons from people in the name of Jesus Christ. When God judges you and you have accepted Christ as your saviour, your sins are forgiven as Jesus already paid for your punishment on the cross. When you reject Jesus you will be cast down to hell.

You're speaking like this is truth and the only possible option when it is all based on your opinion or your view of Christianity and God.

You say there is a spiritual realm but there is no proof of that, just as there is no proof that heaven or hell exists and you trying to demonise everyone that doesn't believe in God or Jesus Christ is one of the reasons I and many others have turned their back on God and Christianity. This high and mighty nonsense is painful to listen to and observe which is why people are sick to death of hearing it. So we'll just have to agree to disagree as no one knows what happens when we die and none of us can prove that any of the claims that you or I or anyone else in this thread have made are true.

Advertisement