Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daily pv production

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,788 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Sunshine after the rain! Only 1.5kwh here! V dark all day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭irishchris

Brutal day here in galway with storm only really hitting with force now hoping to see panels still there tomorrow!

2.2 total generation all day so thankfully have cheap charged nighttime batteries to see through. Just need the power not to cut before they charge up again tonight 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭fael

What system do you have that you can do it via the web? That's very handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

I've one of the few Givenergy installs on the forums. Heard a bit of negative comments about Givenergy before getting it, but have to say been pretty happy with it. Telemetry is great, solid website (which they are upgrading to a new interface with even better charting) and there's an API which you can manipulate and write your own automation. Only thing I'd like to see improved is a more granular sampling. I totally understand why they do it at 5 minute intervals, but would love 1 min data - but I guess I could do that myself and setup a database myself and do something. Not sure I have the motivation though. 5 mins ain't bad.

I've mine set currently to charge to 100%, but do have a longer term project to interface with Met Eireann's api and then decide what to charge it based on the forecast. It's also easier for me. My consumption is pretty high at 30+ units/day, so it's easier for me to work out a strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,197 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

A lofty 0.8 here in Donegal, grey skies and torrential rain all day.

On the plus side this is what my usual daytime purchase rate looks like currently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭THE ALM

poor day yesterday also, then the power went at 9pm. Need to get the backjup connected and the battery charged for such scenarios.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

It would be zero. All turbines behind me were off

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭deravarra

I reckon the oul' vertical axis wind turbines would have been grand

Anyone actually got a turbine on the forum?

• Advertisement

Been looking at the possibility of this for a good while, but not sure it would go down well with the neighbours.

Am thinking of getting a small one for the shed along with a small solar panel to charge a deep cycle battery so I can get some lights in there.

Not sure how to set it up myself though

If I lived out in the country with a bit of space between me and the neighbor I'd definetely get myself a 500-1000w jobbie. Can't see it being a viable option in Dublin 16 though. :-)

I live in the country with near constant wind (and the weather is gale force outside too) but the prices are just way to high to ever see any kind of payback.

I'd heard that too about the payback, and certainly for me it's a complete non-runner in the middle of an urban estate. Still you should be able to get a unit and MPPT controller for <€1000. If you got 40-50 days a year where it gave solid production, ideally in winter when sun is poor - it might be a nice complement to your solar array.

Wind Turbines for Domestic use in Irish and UK homes (windandsun.ie)

If I'd the space I'd probably give it a lash. Surprised you haven't gone that way Phil as your quite self-reliant.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

What's the problem with the neighbours? I looked into this briefly when looking at the PV install and there is no planning required for one wind turbine. On the long finger I have a modest turbine with micro inverter from a hobbiest perspective and also to give a little something when no solar, would go to cover base load at night when all in bed I'd imagine

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

There's always someone who will complain about something, especially when you live on an estate.

My direct neighbour is fine. Just my back yard shares border with 8 others. Am sure one of them will have something to say about a wind turbine

Life is short, go for it, in order for us to stop burning stuff we each have to do our bit

Here's the piece I read...it's under exempted planning

You can install a wind turbine for domestic use as long as:

• It is not attached to a structure
    • It is not more than 13 metres high
    • It has a rotor diameter of less than 6 metres
    • There is a clearance of at least 3 metres between the tip of the rotor and the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭idc

I thought there is also a limit on how close it can be to a boundary basucally the height of tower plus radius of blades away from house/other buildings and any neighbouring property. I guess reasoning being if it fell over it falls within your own property and not into neighbours!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

• Advertisement

Might be going a little off topic from the "Daily PV production" theme, but while I'd have the balls to give one a lash from a fiscal viewpoint, I dunno if I'd get away with it. Like many here, I've got the 2x neighbors on my street, and then of course there's the 3x houses directly behind me. I think someone would complain, probably with good reason to the local council. The full regs are here.....

Planing Permission for wind turbines - exemptions - Eurecca.ie

The interesting pieces are "Not attached to a structure", so that rules out affixing it to the side of the house and/or shed. So you'd need a tower of some description. A pole essentially with support ties. Since it has all this stuff about "The supporting tower shall be a distance of not less than the total structure height (including the blade of the turbine at the highest point of its arc) plus one meter from any party boundary."

and that "The minimum clearance between the lower tip of the rotor and ground level shall not be less than 3 meters."

Those two combined sort of rules out many of us with 10 m wide back gardens.

Then, there would be the (always present) noise/squeaking that goes along with any fan. Always starts out soundless but overtime as the bearings wear away.....the 2am phonecall from a irate neighbor not something to go for. Then there the insurance aspect in this woke world we live in.

No, not a runner lads in urban setting I fear. If i'd the space out in the country though I'd be on alibaba express faster than you can say "there's a storm approaching" :-)

So you can....but you can't if in town🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 6,063 ✭✭✭championc

If anyone does consider a small one, I would suggest an ISTA-Breeze from Amazon. Do NOT buy any from AliExpress / eBay. They might look identical, but the windings and magnets are hugely inferior and will generate little or nothing it seems.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,788 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Nearly a perfect winter curve today.. my aspect and low angle is hurting me though. A peak of 1.2kW! Might break 5kWh today.

Far from perfect curve for me, but still a stormer of a day for December.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Are we living in the same country? 😂

A paltry 0.2kWh here in Dublin. Worst day since installation!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭irishchris

Poor day in Galway too. Loads of cloud this week not moving ☹️

Well my daily average for December is still only 1.9kWh so today was definitely not a normal day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Started out looking promising peaking at 2.85kw then the clouds rolled in and that was that, been poor enough in the midlands the last few days with cloud not shifting much.

• Advertisement

Really only 0.2Kwh? T'was fairly sunny here in South Dublin. My router was acting the maggot earlier so I don't have the detailed production telemetry, but the overall production for the day was 2.8kwhr off a 5.3Kwp system split east/west.

Advertisement