Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite unsolved mystery?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Isn't the sum of better engines, better electronics, better materials ... new technology ?
    of course , but it's just incremental improvement . The differences between today's 737 and a 1950's 707 are nothing compared to the huge 5 year steps between the 707 / Comet / Viscount / Constellation / DC3 / String and cloth Biplanes ...

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Manzoor14

Handed in my notice in work the other day, found this thread a few hours later. Every page read!

One that hasn't been mentioned I think was Sandra Collins going missing in North Mayo.
    Was in the news recently as a suspect (who was having an affair with her) was charged with her murder but then acquitted based on lack of evidence. He was arrested just a couple of years ago after returning from England on a visit.

Again, as with a few cases in the thread many locals claim is a done deal about who done it, but just not enough evidence. Apparently one of the suspects was doing some construction work at the time and foundations were being poured around the day/day after she went missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Just came across this case today. The Hinterkaifeck murders are apparently pretty famous in Germany but less well known outside the country. Basically in 1922 an entire Bavarian farming family & their maid were murdered with a farm implement. That would be terrible enough but there were also some weird details surrounding the case. The killer(s?) appears to have stalked his victims for several months prior to the murders & may even have secretly lived on the property.

Although autopsies established that the family had been killed on 31st March neighbours saw smoke coming from the chimney for several days afterwards & when police arrived on 4th April they found evidence that meals had recently been prepared & that livestock had been fed, presumably by the murderer(s). There was a large amount of money in the house (family savings?) but this had not been taken.

One of the most disturbing aspects of the case was the fate of the children. Two year old Josef (who many in the village believed to be the issue of an incestuous liason) was bludgeoned in his cot, while his seven year old sister Cäzilia died with the other family members in the barn. Evidence showed that she had survived for several hours after the assault & during that time had torn chunks of her own hair out.

While there were several suspects at the time no one was ever charged with the crime & today both the perpetrator & motive for the crime remain a complete mystery.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hinterkaifeck
    http://www.defrostingcoldcases.com/case-month-hinterkaifeck/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭131spanner

^ That is incredible. The piece about the footsteps to the farm but none back, and hearing footsteps in the attic has the shíte scared outta me!

No sleep tonight! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

131spanner wrote: »
    ^ That is incredible. The piece about the footsteps to the farm but none back, and hearing footsteps in the attic has the shíte scared outta me!

No sleep tonight! :D

Was about to read all until you said this, skip!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭GalwayGirl26

TheSheriff wrote: »
    Was about to read all until you said this, skip!

Just past midnight, I can hear the wind outside....Will def be leaving this for tomorrow!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,842 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Just past midnight, I can hear the wind outside....Will def be leaving this for tomorrow!!

Now is the perfect time to read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

Why did I just read that before bed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Jesus that is disturbing, particularly about th 7 yr old.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭GalwayGirl26

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Jesus that is disturbing, particularly about th 7 yr old.

I think the footprints are the creepiest part!
    And if the old maid said the place was "haunted" who knows how long they were in the attic if that's what she was hearing!
    Felt awful bad for the new maid! First day there and this happens!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

But the girl, mortally wounded but alive long enough to know her family are all dead and to see the evidence... pulling out her hair with the madness of it all. That's really one of the worst things i've ever heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭wdmfapq4zs83hv

I think the very recent case of missing toddler William Tyrell in Australia is up there for me. The case has received pretty much no coverage this side of the world. The family are subject to a gagging order as are the media so they cant be identified. The 3 year old vanished from his grandmothers garden a few weeks ago. No sign of him since. The whole case is very mysterious. When you look at recent missing children cases & the publicity they usually receive. Most people in this country wont even have hear of William.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭crannglas

Who shot Michael Collins really and where did Ireland s money really go? Not least of all Ireland's missing women and Philip cairns etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

crannglas wrote: »
    Who shot Michael Collins really and where did Ireland s money really go? Not least of all Ireland's missing women and Philip cairns etc..
    That case intrigues and frightens me as it is local to me. I dont let my son out of my sight.
    There is something very strange about it when you consider his school bag was found in a lane after it had been searched

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Fiolina

That case intrigues and frightens me as it is local to me. I dont let my son out of my sight.
    There is something very strange about it when you consider his school bag was found in a lane after it had been searched

It is strange. Wasn't his religion book missing from his bag or something like that?

I find strange the case of missing man Thomas Kennedy from Finglas. He's 82 and has been missing for two months now. I know in terms of other missing people it's not a "long time" but this man was last seen putting his bins out on a fairly bright evening, is fairly fragile so I don't think he could have gone far. There have been extensive searches (land and water) and not a sign. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Not least of all Ireland's missing women and Philip cairns etc..

Ive a theory I think Ive said already in this thread but its worth repeating as its such a long one. I believe there's a serial killer at large in Ireland who is a taxi driver. It is the perfect job for this kind of a predator.

A major spoiler of a certain TV show below

I had this theory before that episode of
    Sherlock
    too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    Ive a theory I think Ive said already in this thread but its worth repeating as its such a long one. I believe there's a serial killer at large in Ireland who is a taxi driver. It is the perfect job for this kind of a predator.

A major spoiler of a certain TV show below

I had this theory before that episode of
    Sherlock
    too!

I think there might be a couple of serial killers around. But why would you say one is a taxi driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,890 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

A big mystery for me is why photographs of UFOs, Bigfoot, the Loch Ness Monster, and the like are ALWAYS blurred!

I've never seen a clear picture of any of them. So are they myths, Or mysteries...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Cianmcliam

Custardpi wrote: »
    Just came across this case today. The Hinterkaifeck murders are apparently pretty famous in Germany but less well known outside the country. Basically in 1922 an entire Bavarian farming family & their maid were murdered with a farm implement. That would be terrible enough but there were also some weird details surrounding the case. The killer(s?) appears to have stalked his victims for several months prior to the murders & may even have secretly lived on the property.

Although autopsies established that the family had been killed on 31st March neighbours saw smoke coming from the chimney for several days afterwards & when police arrived on 4th April they found evidence that meals had recently been prepared & that livestock had been fed, presumably by the murderer(s). There was a large amount of money in the house (family savings?) but this had not been taken.

One of the most disturbing aspects of the case was the fate of the children. Two year old Josef (who many in the village believed to be the issue of an incestuous liason) was bludgeoned in his cot, while his seven year old sister Cäzilia died with the other family members in the barn. Evidence showed that she had survived for several hours after the assault & during that time had torn chunks of her own hair out.

While there were several suspects at the time no one was ever charged with the crime & today both the perpetrator & motive for the crime remain a complete mystery.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hinterkaifeck
    http://www.defrostingcoldcases.com/case-month-hinterkaifeck/

Wow, that is a really fascinating case, hadn't come across it before. Thanks!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

A big mystery for me is why photographs of UFOs, Bigfoot, the Loch Ness Monster, and the like are ALWAYS blurred!

I've never seen a clear picture of any of them. So are they myths, Or mysteries...
    In the case of UFO's it's obviously the effects of the gravity drive

Big Foot ?
    In a country filled with gun nuts and frequent man-hunts and security cameras , and no one has ever found a body or even a single scrap of skin or hair follicle with DNA that doesn't belong to a bear or other animal ??

Cryptozoology in an unexplored area possibly, but not in very popular recreational woods.

• Advertisement

Cianmcliam wrote: »
    Wow, that is a really fascinating case, hadn't come across it before. Thanks!

Yes, I was particularly struck by the detail of the murderer hanging around so long after the slaying, was it someone who had long coveted the farm & wanted to see what it would be like to work it for a few days? I have a mental image of a guy casually pottering about the place, lighting the fire, performing various household & farmyard chores, even fixing himself a meal. All the while knowing that mere yards away were the bodies of an entire famly he had slaughtered. The mind boggles.

TBH I can't understand the fascination people have with murders, real or fictional. By definition most murderers will try to avoid justice and so it's not really surprising that some of them did good clean up jobs or that given the thousands of murders some of the investigations were flawed or not even recognised as such.

In comparison the mystery of what happened to the Neanderthals is just awe inspiring. They had fire and tools and put flowers on graves.

The are Australian tales of volcanic eruptions from 40,000 years ago that were contemporary with the Neanderthals, and we have European art from back then.

Neandarthals had bigger brains and were much stronger than we are.

What would they be like to meet ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Laois6556

TBH I can't understand the fascination people have with murders, real or fictional. By definition most murderers will try to avoid justice and so it's not really surprising that some of them did good clean up jobs or that given the thousands of murders some of the investigations were flawed or not even recognised as such.

In comparison the mystery of what happened to the Neanderthals is just awe inspiring. They had fire and tools and put flowers on graves.

The are Australian tales of volcanic eruptions from 40,000 years ago that were contemporary with the Neanderthals, and we have European art from back then.

Neandarthals had bigger brains and were much stronger than we are.

What would they be like to meet ?

They'd have you for breakfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭cml387

There is a mystery about the origin of the Australian Aboriginies.
    They must have arrived by sea from somewhere else, but their genetic makeup suggests that there is no outside link nearer than 40,000 years ago.
    This would suggest an ability by man to cross large seas a hell of a long time further back than we may realise.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭wiseoldelf34

where did they stash little maddies body?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

AFAIK I think this fairly well known....some retired army sniper who joined the ira after being discharged fighting in ww1

Yes, in Tim Pat Coogan's biography of Collins (published 1990) the assassin was named as Sonny O'Neill, an ex British army marksman. He claimed not to have known the identity of the officer he had shot until afterwards & apparently felt great remorse.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭crannglas

AFAIK I think this fairly well known....some retired army sniper who joined the ira after being discharged fighting in ww1

See afayk. No one ever confessed. Also, Like what happened to shergar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

See afayk. No one ever confessed. Also, Like what happened to shergar.

its said the chap admitted to it...,when applyinbg for his old ira pension

well admitted to being present at ambush and being in the position from where the shot was said to be taken

I think those accounts are due to go online soon enough....will make for interesting reading

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Custardpi wrote: »
    Yes, in Tim Pat Coogan's biography of Collins (published 1990) the assassin was named as Sonny O'Neill, an ex British army marksman. He claimed not to have known the identity of the officer he had shot until afterwards & apparently felt great remorse.

He apparently said sombrely when the group rendezvoused back in a house, 'I dropped one man anyway' and blessed himself. Collins was the only person killed in in the ambush.

Advertisement