Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The last smoke in Amsterdam

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Haarlem is a sweet spot, Patronaat fantastic music venue.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Friend of mine just bought a lovely little house in Haarlem about a 2 minute walk from the cathedral and about a 6 minute walk from the train station. 250k

Jammy bastard!

The catherdal was a really nice spot, they had a market on it when I was there and it was relaxing to just sit back with an ice cream in and around it :)

Berlin and Hamburg have a much more raunchy sex scene. Swinger clubs, live sex shows where YES people from the audience do sometimes get brought up on stage and shag the woman, fetish clubs, etc. I think Amsterdam is pretty tame compared to a lot of so-called sex destinations.

Totally agree on this. Berlin, and Hamburg are much better for getting your kicks off, and with a much wider range of choice than Amsterdam. Berlin especially. I'd give Munich an honorable mention, since some of their 'underground' clubs and countryside chateaux party houses, are just nuts. The Germans are like the Japanese. Just nutty when it comes to sex.

TBH, I've had more access to drugs and women (paid/unpaid) in Paris, and Barcelona, than Amsterdam.

Amsterdam simply carries a reputation.. and while it's a lovely city, there are far better options across Europe, if you really want to do drugs or get laid. Cheaper options too, and without many of the scams that exist there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,316 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Friend of mine just bought a lovely little house in Haarlem about a 2 minute walk from the cathedral and about a 6 minute walk from the train station. 250k

Jammy bastard!

I'd move there tomorrow but prices I've seen are definitely higher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Doctor Roast

Treppen wrote: »
    That's a bit of a tired stereotype.

You might be surprised that the many of the citizens partake in drug use also. But it was the first to break the mold so attracts the illegal elements, same as Nimbin in Australia.

But look at other cities in Holland which have decriminalised and you barely hear them get a mention.

I've heard they've cleaned Nimbin up... God that was a strange, strange little town

I've heard they've cleaned Nimbin up... God that was a strange, strange little town

I doubt they really can clean up Nimbin, since many of the hippies settled in the nearby areas.

Agreed. Strange town.. but some of the best shrooms I've ever had. Plus it made Brisbane, and surfers paradise far more fun to be in, once the tourist honeymoon feeling had gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

I've never been to Australia, but it strikes me as a country totally obsessed with rules and being self-righteous about it. Have heard a few reports from people that they found it to be up-tight and basically a giant Singapore: rules, silly laws, and fines for so much as farting sideways.

Always thought Kiwis are a far more relaxed bunch.

Yurt! wrote: »
    I've never been to Australia, but it strikes me as a country totally obsessed with rules and being self-righteous about it. Have heard a few reports from people that they found it to be up-tight and basically a giant Singapore: rules, silly laws, and fines for so much as farting sideways.

Always thought Kiwis are a far more relaxed bunch.

Err... like anywhere there are differences depending where you are.

Queensland isn't terribly formal or self-righteous. TBH I found it to be the most relaxed area in Oz.. so much so that I spent three years working professionally in Brisbane, while also getting stoned, drinking, pool parties, surf parties, great bbq (facilities in parks which weren't vandalised), etc. They had certain rules but then considering the heaps of Irish/British who go there to party and fight, I can certainly understand their need for those rules.

But then, I've met a lot of people who think Brisbane and the surrounding area was boring compared to the rest of Oz... but between the wine producers, the hippies, and the surfers, the area could be a lot of fun. Not anything like how you've just described... unless it's changed that much in the last few years.

Advertisement