Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's PanDENmonium! [Off Topic Chat]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

Grindylow wrote: »
    Definitely :p

Feel a bit mean for thinking of doing it though. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

Conor108 wrote: »

I just want the money really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

M&S* wrote: »
    Lads is it okay to sell a present you got a year ago and haven't used? :confused:

Yeah. Person who gifted it would probably rather you was happy buying something you like than having a gift you won't use.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Cian A wrote: »
    I don't post here often so I came to see what was going on...
    weird...

You should post here more often. Your sig is awesome!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

He should! :) And it is! :pac:

Jones had better do well tonight cos he's on my fantasy football team and I'll be very upset if he doesn't! I assume he knows that though, so I trust he won't let me down :P .... Unless it's Ba who scores against him... Then it'll be okay...

3rd in the C&H league! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭HandsomeDivil

Jones had better do well tonight cos he's on my fantasy football team and I'll be very upset if he doesn't!

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

So seeing as today was my first proper post-christmas day off I decided to organise my room properly. I discovered that I need to stop buying DVD's and shoes.

That's only about half my shoes, I have another 7 or so pairs of boots/heels/doll shoes and then other runners in my dads.

Either that or up my game and start buying loads more to make proper collections out of them...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Gah! Resize woman! RESIZE!!!

Although thats fine for DVDs. I hit over 400 at one stage. They filled my wardrobe O_o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

I've eh.. Acquired... a stack of vogue, elle and various other fashion magazines that are now as tall as I am. I'm 5'11".

• Advertisement

Gah! Resize woman! RESIZE!!!

Although thats fine for DVDs. I hit over 400 at one stage. They filled my wardrobe O_o

My problem is I've nowhere else to store them. My rooms too small :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

I need money making ideas fairly quickly. Anything bar gigolo. Go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

fjsanchez wrote: »

A salesman of the non-legal variety.

Boards would probably frown upon me saying it in laymans terms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

282515_1867698584477_1601448416_31507857_4066759_n.jpg

>.>

NOT MINE BUT A FRIENDS. FTL :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

fjsanchez wrote: »

Pretend to be a Nigerian Prince.

Grindylow wrote: »
    282515_1867698584477_1601448416_31507857_4066759_n.jpg

>.>

NOT MINE BUT A FRIENDS. FTL :pac:

When I move out I'm going to have a wall dedicated to DVD's it will be wonderful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

Mighty fine POTD if I do say so myself :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Mighty fine POTD if I do say so myself :D

Nicely done!

Also, solving your problem could be as simple as moving to Shelbyville...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭shannon_tek

You only get to make a drastic decision once in your life... so when do you make it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Pigwidgeon wrote: »
    When I move out I'm going to have a wall dedicated to DVD's it will be wonderful.

DVDs are already obsolete.. Just sayin'.
    My tv and movie collection amounts to just over 1.5TB. Which is about 500 movies, and somewhere in the region of 90 series of TV.

And it all fits inside my computer \o/

• Advertisement

DVDs are already obsolete.. Just sayin'

They're not obsolete if I can still put one into the player, connect it to the TV and enjoy watching it!

They're not obsolete if I can still put one into the player, connect it to the TV and enjoy watching it!

Obsolete doesn't mean unenjoyable, it just means less efficient and outdated. Similar to how records are obsolete, but hipsters claim they give a better sound. They don't. Digital does. Get out of the way of progress, you Luddites!

Obsolete doesn't mean unenjoyable, it just means less efficient and outdated. Similar to how records are obsolete, but hipsters claim they give a better sound. They don't. Digital does. Get out of the way of progress, you Luddites!

:eek:

Records are great! There's history and personal experience in a record collection. There's feck all in a down-load collection.

Records are great! There's history and personal experience in a record collection. There's feck all in a down-load collection.
    I argue that there is just as much of a personal experience in a digital collection of music as there is in a record collection. I don't just get random songs and not listen to them, they're all discovered over time, a chunk of my cash is spent on them, and then they're organised into folders and playlists to suit my mood over many years, outlasting records in durability, with no degredation of quality over time.

And while there is only about ten years of history to my digital collection of music, are you denying that they will accrue history over their and my lifetime? Can a record collection really hold more history than a digital collection? I think the only cause of my collection's small history is simply a lack elapsed time.

I accept that the current format will become obsolete, probably soon, but it's easily transferable to another format, and will last for generations, with far less degredation and maintenance, as far as I can see.

I argue that there is just as much of a personal experience in a digital collection of music as there is in a record collection. I don't just get random songs and not listen to them, they're all discovered over time, a chunk of my cash is spent on them, and then they're organised into folders and playlists to suit my mood over many years, outlasting records in durability, with no degredation of quality over time.

And while there is only about ten years of history to my digital collection of music, are you denying that they will accrue history over their and my lifetime? Can a record collection really hold more history than a digital collection? I think the only cause of my collection's small history is simply a lack elapsed time.

I accept that the current format will become obsolete, probably soon, but it's easily transferable to another format, and will last for generations, with far less degredation and maintenance, as far as I can see.

Here here well said. Digital media is a unique aquired taste taking days on end just to collect one song. A collection that holds closes songs from the dawn of time to the latest edition realeased 10seconds ago.

I argue that there is just as much of a personal experience in a digital collection of music as there is in a record collection.

I think part of the reasoning behind my point comes from how the music industry has changed since records came and went. Today you can download a few albums in the time it takes to eat your dinner, often for free. There was a time (before we were born :pac: ) when you had to save up for the album, wait for the release date or happen to find it by luck or get it as a gift. There was cover art and something to hold in your hands.

I'm not arguing that the collection of songs you download doesn't tell a story. I'm suggesting that the way the music is acquired, stored and played (usually through head-phones) is less socially interesting than, for example, seeing the look on someone's face when they take the original "Bat Out Of Hell" out of its sleeve for the first time in a few decades.

I know I'm probably coming across as sentimental.
    And while there is only about ten years of history to my digital collection of music, are you denying that they will accrue history over their and my lifetime?

If Reeling In The Years is anything to go by, then there could well be something valuable in your collection. :) Sure even the Spice Girls is a fascinating social phenomenon to look back on at this stage! :pac:
    Can a record collection really hold more history than a digital collection? I think the only cause of my collection's small history is simply a lack elapsed time.

The angle I'm coming from here is that the collection is less impressive, less of a personal artefact, when it's a collection of easily acquired file-names on a disc. The music itself still tells a story, and you could probably tell me some fantastic tales about what different artists/albums/songs mean to you, but it's harder to get attached when it looks like code on a screen instead of something precious.

+1, hopefully. Even after what I've written above, I still don't want to lose the music I've slowly been putting together on my laptop! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

I love it:D It was made by another poster in the Utd forum for me:)
    He should! :) And it is! :pac:

Jones had better do well tonight cos he's on my fantasy football team and I'll be very upset if he doesn't! I assume he knows that though, so I trust he won't let me down :P .... Unless it's Ba who scores against him... Then it'll be okay...

3rd in the C&H league! :D

You're probably quite upset now:(

My tuppence on the music thing; I think nostalgia comes into play when using older formats, there's no doubt that digital is superior in almost every way, but think about this: The feeling of pushing a VHS tape into the machine; magical:D

What I don't like about digital is how you can lose everything, I lost about 200GB of movies and 20GB music. Building my library up again was a real pain!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Too much attention is given to music by young people. There are more important things to worry about, like pogs and Batman.

Cian A wrote: »

The feeling of pushing a VHS tape into the machine; magical:D

What I don't like about digital is how you can lose everything, I lost about 200GB of movies and 20GB music. Building my library up again was a real pain!

Oh well now ...... The VHS can never ever be replaced. I have 3 vcrs just for sentimental reasons. Even went so far out of my way to buy the first video I was ever given by my mam. Riverdance. Course it was not the same video but its just the history behind it.

What ever happened. Always back up on ex hard drive imo. Mo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

Pigwidgeon wrote: »
    So seeing as today was my first proper post-christmas day off I decided to organise my room properly. I discovered that I need to stop buying DVD's and shoes.

That's only about half my shoes, I have another 7 or so pairs of boots/heels/doll shoes and then other runners in my dads.

Either that or up my game and start buying loads more to make proper collections out of them...

Is it weird that I'm a girl with 1 pair of high heels, 1 pair of everyday shoes, and 1 pair of converse for if I'm doing something muddy? Everyone else seem to have so many pairs of shoes :o

Advertisement