12-10-2020, 19:15   #1
w124man

Registration of classic vehicles after Brexit

This is one topic that will prick everyone's ears up!

Last week, the Revenue Commissioners held a conference to explain what is going to happen. I sat through this presentation and picked out the important points and no one here is going to like it so don't shoot the messenger!

Remember this is NOT the Government scabing money from us. These rules are the WTO rules as from Jan 1st the UK has the same legal standing as Bangladesh, ie a 'Third Country'

1. From Jan 1st 2020, to register any vehicle in Ireland that came from the UK, the vehicle must have a customs declaration form. To get a customs declaration form, you drive off the boat into the customs area, pay your duty and VAT (yes I know) and collect your customs declaration.
2. Any vehicle from the UK cannot be registered in the Republic of Ireland, or anywhere in the EU without this document.
3. You still have the same amount of time to VRT the vehicle but without the customs document you will be turned away.
4. UK registered vehicles already here in private hands have until Dec 31st to get things sorted and it wont matter if there is a long queue and you cant get it done in time. These are the World Trade Organisations rules, not the Revenue Department

All vehicle transactions after Jan 1st will require proof of transit

So there you have it. Don't ask me any questions as all the information is now on www.revenue.ie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adcEMYY0Sbk

Last edited by w124man; 12-10-2020 at 19:45.
Advertisement
12-10-2020, 21:16   #2
Testacalda

My understanding of it is, that if you own a UK registered vehicle at the moment, and its here in the state, there is no additional panic on anyone to get it registered before the end of 2020, from a Import Duty point of view anyway.

From a VRT point of view, one might be over the requirement to registered the vehicle within the 30 days of import, but late VRT is a separate issue, that generally isn't a big deal for 'vintage' vehicles anyway

So you just need to be able to proof that the vehicle was here prior to 1st Jan 2021.

So I wonder what is a valid way of proving it your vehicle was in Ireland before Brexit, perhaps a signed and dated receipt from the person you bought it from? Was always acceptable to revenue for the VRT process anyway. For private sales that's the 'invoice'

Also I see that no import duty for vehicles from Northern Ireland, but you still need the Customs declaration.

interesting stuff...

Last edited by Testacalda; 12-10-2020 at 21:21.
12-10-2020, 21:42   #3
w124man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Testacalda View Post
My understanding of it is, that if you own a UK registered vehicle at the moment, and its here in the state, there is no additional panic on anyone to get it registered before the end of 2020, from a Import Duty point of view anyway.
They make it very clear that a vehicle with UK plates presented after 31st Dec will need a Customs Declaration. If you have a UK reg vehicle now, in the country, you have until then to do get it VRT'd. With Covid and everything else going on, that doesn't leave a lot of time to get it done. This of course will throw up its own issues.

Its very clear. If you haven't paid the VRT by 31/12/20, you will also be paying duty and VAT
(4) thanks from:
12-10-2020, 22:00   #4
unkel
Category Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by w124man View Post
Its very clear. If you haven't paid the VRT by 31/12/20, you will also be paying duty and VAT
+1

And rightly so. Will be funny to see all those yellow reg cars on DD drop in value to next to nothing early next year
(4) thanks from:
12-10-2020, 22:09   #5
KevRossi

This may be challenged, as VAT has already been paid in a EU country. On this basis they might not be able to ask for it again.

This would only apply to cars registered in the UK up to Dec 31st 2020.

A good example would be a 2018 Hyundai, built in South Korea and imported and VAT'd in 2018. The VAT was paid once due to it being imported, so theoretically it should be exempt if reimported into the EU (RoI) again in 2021 or 2022. I think a couple of larger second hand importers will be looking at it and may challenge it. This is what I heard around the beginning of the summer.

SIMI boys will be having wet dreams tonight as it increases prices of desirable younger imports meaning they get to shift Irish cars at much higer prices.

Long term; if it passes, it means car prices here will only go up, and there will be a lot less choice.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
12-10-2020, 22:26   #6

Seems like you could get it registered in Northern Ireland from main land UK and then import to ROI without having to pay vat/duty?

Thanks for the video link btw
13-10-2020, 08:31   #7
Testacalda

Quote:
Originally Posted by w124man View Post
They make it very clear that a vehicle with UK plates presented after 31st Dec will need a Customs Declaration. If you have a UK reg vehicle now, in the country, you have until then to do get it VRT'd. With Covid and everything else going on, that doesn't leave a lot of time to get it done. This of course will throw up its own issues.

Yes you will need a customs declaration, but no additional customs duty is due if you have an invoice showing vehicle sold prior to Brexit. So no one need panic!
13-10-2020, 10:33   #8
Isambard

all guess work. Best plan surely is to get it all cleared pre 2021
13-10-2020, 13:20   #9
hi5

How long approximately is it taking at the moment from applying to VRT a car with the NCT to presenting the car for inspection?
Advertisement
13-10-2020, 18:56   #10
Bigus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Testacalda View Post
Yes you will need a customs declaration, but no additional customs duty is due if you have an invoice showing vehicle sold prior to Brexit. So no one need panic!
In my previous experience of customs (pre free market) they SHOOT first and ask questions later, so I wouldn’t be so smug if I was you, on what’s actually “correct” . Customs have much more power than the Garda and will use that power unfairly if they feel like it.

They’ll even impound cars and leave windows and doors / sunroofs open in stormy weather if you act the smart ares with them . So in other words you’ll never get the better of them monetarily, which is exactly what they want .

Perhaps your invoice will work after many years of court, but the car will be worthless then .
14-10-2020, 08:28   #11
Testacalda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigus View Post
In my previous experience of customs (pre free market) they SHOOT first and ask questions later, so I wouldn’t be so smug if I was you, on what’s actually “correct” . Customs have much more power than the Garda and will use that power unfairly if they feel like it.

They’ll even impound cars and leave windows and doors / sunroofs open in stormy weather if you act the smart ares with them . So in other words you’ll never get the better of them monetarily, which is exactly what they want .

Perhaps your invoice will work after many years of court, but the car will be worthless then .
This new situation doesn't effect me personally, however, I suspect those who weren't bother by having a UK reg car up to now, still wont be all that bothered by the new rules.
14-10-2020, 21:59   #12
w124man

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevRossi View Post
This may be challenged, as VAT has already been paid in a EU country.
Who are they going to challenge? The EU? The Irish Government? The UK from midnight 31/12/ 2020 will be a "third country". Whatever happened before is irrelevant.

Also the point is already being missed is that these new rules are not the Irish Customs rules or the governments, this is the WTO calling the shots.

It is also very clear that any vehicle being presented after 31/12/2020 will be liable EVEN if the invoice is dated before that date.
(2) thanks from:
15-10-2020, 01:40   #13
steinbock123

What is the duty going to be under WTO rules (on a classic) and on what figure will it be levied, price when new or current market value or cost including freight or what?
Which figure will the VAT be charged on?

Last edited by steinbock123; 15-10-2020 at 01:41. Reason: A
15-10-2020, 08:11   #14
80sDiesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinbock123 View Post
What is the duty going to be under WTO rules (on a classic) and on what figure will it be levied, price when new or current market value or cost including freight or what?
Which figure will the VAT be charged on?
Customs = cost of car + shipping
VAT = cost of car + shipping + customs.
15-10-2020, 15:59   #15
galwaytt

Send a message via Skype™ to galwaytt
Quote:
Originally Posted by unkel View Post
+1

And rightly so. Will be funny to see all those yellow reg cars on DD drop in value to next to nothing early next year
Indeed there's a few Boxsters/911's in that category atmo..... be interesting to see what happens there....

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion