Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Registration of classic vehicles after Brexit

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

galwaytt wrote: »
    two more I heard about in recent days:
    1999 XKR - €5000

2017 X7 - I didn't get the exact number, but it was up €3500 over what the calc was in early December. He couldn't get an inspection until January 17th and they basically shrugged their shoulders and said 'It's 2021, 2021 rules apply'. So he coughed up and is appealing it.

That's the NCTs default get whatever the computer says and then you can appeal it.

Appeal with docs proving car was in the country prior to 2021 and it should be ok.

I cleared a 2014 A4 a few years ago it was €900 more than the VRT calculator estimate.

I asked what statistical code did you use and his was different to the stat code I had from my vrt calculator estimate. I asked him to use my stat code instead he ran it through the computer and said yep you can use that code also.

I asked him to clear the car using my code he said no it's done now you'll have to appeal it which I did and got my €900 back but alot of hassle on my part . Appeals procedure is useful but slow.

Why do we have to do everything by post still in this country when an online service would be cheaper and more efficient for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭w124man

Car99 wrote: »
    Did it work out cheaper or the same as buying the same car here?

Hard to tell as there wasn't a similar one for sale but I don't think so

galwaytt wrote: »
    two more I heard about in recent days:
    1999 XKR - €5000

2017 X7 - I didn't get the exact number, but it was up €3500 over what the calc was in early December. He couldn't get an inspection until January 17th and they basically shrugged their shoulders and said 'It's 2021, 2021 rules apply'. So he coughed up and is appealing it.

Was that duty and Vat?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

w124man wrote: »
    IF you buy from a dealer and IF you are VAT registered, you can claim the UK VAT back

Only if the car is VAT qualifying in the UK, if not then its not possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Tomal

Can I ask a question. If car brought into NI from GB by a private buyer and import paperwork done by new owner and NI plates put on (actually do NI plates have to be put on or is it ok if GB plates left on the car? ) . How long does it have to be in NI before can be sold to ROI without extra taxes added.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,757 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Tomal wrote: »
    Can I ask a question. If car brought into NI from GB by a private buyer and import paperwork done by new owner and NI plates put on (actually do NI plates have to be put on or is it ok if GB plates left on the car? ) . How long does it have to be in NI before can be sold to ROI without extra taxes added.

Nobody knows, literally.

I'm looking at a car in NI (from a garage) and as far as I can see they know even less about it. The answer I got (and it's a GB car, imported prior to Dec 31st, but still wearing GB plates) was along the lines of 'we imported it before Dec 31st so there should be no problem'.

Should.

Sorry, but I can't take a gamble on getting clobbered for 21% VAT based on 'should'.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

As I understand, NI plates are irrelevant as they are a choice by the owner. "NI registered" means registered to an address in NI

commited wrote: »

Dealer cars do!

Dealer cars do!

Are you inferring all dealers used cars are vat qualifying?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

Not likely is it? any used car that has had a private owner in it's history won't be qualifying. I'm guessing he meant Dealers won't be buying anything not qualifying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 wunderbar

So lads, I'm looking at a classic commercial that's been lying up over here for a few years pre brexit but as of yet not re-registered from the uk.

I know the VRT will be 200 as its over thirty years old, but its looking like i'd now have to pay VAT aswell at 21%?

or can someone hopefully tell me I'm wrong??

I'm saying that the car my buddy brought in was bought ex VAT. A used or second hand car will be VAT qualifying if it has remained registered to a business throughout its lifetime. His car was a demonstrator so he was able to buy without VAT

hi5 wrote: »
    If the V5 has a Northern Ireland address then he doesn't need any other paperwork, there is no VAT.
    He may need an Invoice for VRT but that's always been the case.

So no VAT if car NI registered and any age. I know VRT and NOX will have to be paid on a 2004.

Tomal wrote: »
    So no VAT if car NI registered and any age. I know VRT and NOX will have to be paid on a 2004.

It will be interesting to see what happens if that NI car is not of GB build. "the deal" only covers GB made items, I wonder if that affects the NI registered cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

The wording according to Revenue.ie is 'without any checks on customs status'.
    So we can only presume that includes the 10% duty.

Vehicles registered in Northern Ireland before 1 January 2021.

You can register a vehicle registered before 1 January 2021 without any checks on the customs status if it was registered:

in Northern Ireland
    or
    to a person resident in Northern Ireland.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/guide-to-vrt/registration-of-imported-used-vehicles/vehicles-registered-in-great-britain-and-subsequently-registered-in-northern-ireland.aspx

hi5 wrote: »
    The wording according to Revenue.ie is 'without any checks on customs status'.
    So we can only presume that includes the 10% duty.

Vehicles registered in Northern Ireland before 1 January 2021.

You can register a vehicle registered before 1 January 2021 without any checks on the customs status if it was registered:

in Northern Ireland
    or
    to a person resident in Northern Ireland.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/guide-to-vrt/registration-of-imported-used-vehicles/vehicles-registered-in-great-britain-and-subsequently-registered-in-northern-ireland.aspx

Ok. Thanks for that and I checked the link. Reads straight forward enough, car registered in NI before 1st Jan 2021 is just like before.

Did the dealers (big or small) in NI stock pile at all as looks like this would have been the ideal plan. I suppose nobody knew what the deal would be and it happened all over Christmas making the purchasing of vehicles logistically difficult.

Friend of mine has just brought in a year old C Class diesel Mercedes. The VAT and duty content cost almost €10,000 on top of the VRT and NOX and, of course, the purchase price.

IF you buy from a dealer and IF you are VAT registered, you can claim the UK VAT back
    Dealer cars do!
    I'm saying that the car my buddy brought in was bought ex VAT. A used or second hand car will be VAT qualifying if it has remained registered to a business throughout its lifetime. His car was a demonstrator so he was able to buy without VAT

Exactly - your friend bought a VAT qualifying car which was the reason he was able to claim back VAT, dealers sell plenty of used non-VAT qualifying cars too! Forums can be a great source of information but also misinformation - your original post should have said
    IF you buy a VAT Qualifying car from a dealer and IF you are VAT registered, you can claim the UK VAT back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

I've read the full thread and have some questions.
    Looking to import a classic - 31 year German Merc C124 car from UK.
    Trying to establish a consensus on costs.

Car cost 5,000 EUR
    Transport 450 EUR
    VRT 200 EUR
    Duty 10% (because it originally came from Germany 31 years ago)
    VAT 21% (23% end of Feb)

Is the Duty and VAT based on the invoice of 5,000 EUR or on the OMSP?
    I know OMSP is used normally for VRT.

Invoice price + transport costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 pg recovery

Hi I'm wondering if anyone can clear up a few questions for me regarding importing an 88 Toyota carina from England now

I understand the vrt will be 200e

I understand that the car will attract vat and customs fees as well

Can someone tell me how the vat and customs fees are arrived at?

How can they put a value on the car...do they have a database or will they accept a handwritten invoice stating what price I gave for the car

Thanks for the help everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭newmember2

...your original post should have said
    IF you buy a VAT Qualifying car from a dealer and IF you are VAT registered, you can claim the UK VAT back.

You don't have to be VAT registered to get the VAT back from the UK seller.

Hi I'm wondering if anyone can clear up a few questions for me regarding importing an 88 Toyota carina from England now

I understand the vrt will be 200e

I understand that the car will attract vat and customs fees as well

Can someone tell me how the vat and customs fees are arrived at?

How can they put a value on the car...do they have a database or will they accept a handwritten invoice stating what price I gave for the car

Thanks for the help everyone

any taxes other than VRT are based on the Invoice Price. I would imagine it would be likely that they might check that the Invoice is somewhere near reality. I don't think it's been established yet whether a handwritten invoice from a private seller will be accepted still. CAn't think of a reason why not

newmember? wrote: »
    You don't have to be VAT registered to get the VAT back from the UK seller.

That's great, I always thought that was the case but I've never gone through the process and plenty of people have been stating you have to be VAT registered.

Out of interest, do you know more about the process?

That's great, I always thought that was the case but I've never gone through the process and plenty of people have been stating you have to be VAT registered.

Out of interest, do you know more about the process?

Most sellers of VAT qualifying cars wont charge you the VAT if the car is for export.

Forums can be a great source of information but also misinformation - your original post should have said

Yeah! There's a great site called www.revenue.ie which explains stuff about VAT!

Makes a good read, try it!

Isambard wrote: »
    any taxes other than VRT are based on the Invoice Price. I would imagine it would be likely that they might check that the Invoice is somewhere near reality. I don't think it's been established yet whether a handwritten invoice from a private seller will be accepted still. CAn't think of a reason why not

I can't see how this is gonna fly...^^^

I rock up with an invoice or receipt for x value and revenue are just going to say "our calculations value that car at x+y+z amount so we will be disregarding your Invoice/receipt".

newmember? wrote: »
    I can't see how this is gonna fly...^^^

I rock up with an invoice or receipt for x value and revenue are just going to say "our calculations value that car at x+y+z amount so we will be disregarding your Invoice/receipt".

I wondered about this.

Hypothetically If you get a really good deal on something say winning an Ebay UK auction at a ridiculously low price because the item was listed in the wrong section with the wrong spelling by an uniformed seller say a 1986 528i was listed in model cars and listed simply as Old car and you paid £500 for it even though it has an easily achievable value of £5000.
    In this case you can show Revenue all documents relating to the auction with a reasonable explanation .

Are revenue LIKELY to say similar goods are valued at 5k you owe us €900 in VAT+duty (which they can choose to do) or would they say you verified you paid €500 so you owe us €90 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭steinbock123

Revenue being Revenue are VERY likely to charge the higher figure.
    You pay first and appeal it later.

Car99 wrote: »
    I wondered about this.

Hypothetically If you get a really good deal on something say winning an Ebay UK auction at a ridiculously low price because the item was listed in the wrong section with the wrong spelling by an uniformed seller say a 1986 528i was listed in model cars and listed simply as Old car and you paid £500 for it even though it has an easily achievable value of £5000.
    In this case you can show Revenue all documents relating to the auction with a reasonable explanation .

Are revenue LIKELY to say similar goods are valued at 5k you owe us €900 in VAT+duty (which they can choose to do) or would they say you verified you paid €500 so you owe us €90 ?
    I'd say if you have a genuine undisputable invoice, such as one from Ebay or a Dealer of repute, then no problem. If the invoice looks iffy or is handwritten then they'll check out the market value.

• Advertisement

Isambard wrote: »
    I'd say if you have a genuine undisputable invoice, such as one from Ebay or a Dealer of repute, then no problem. If the invoice looks iffy or is handwritten then they'll check out the market value.

Nah...I'd imagine you're paying VAT+Duty on the value of the car not the price you paid for it. Surely someone on here has done it yet?

Advertisement