Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 190 - Rousey v Correia

Options
1111213141517»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,088 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Rousey via Decision
    Ronda's striking generally is sloppy. She's not a striker. Same could be said of the top 5 in the division, grapplers with sloppy striking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

To be fair there are.very few effective boxers in the UFC in any weight class, I suppose having to worry about kicks takedowns etc comes into it, but they all take crazy hits coming in to give hits.

I never really noticed it before tbh but a friend of mine who is a big boxing fan, well I was trying to convert him and he pointed it out, it's hard to not see it when it's pointed out to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

jcd5971 wrote: »
    To be fair there are.very few effective boxers in the UFC in any weight class, I suppose having to worry about kicks takedowns etc comes into it, but they all take crazy hits coming in to give hits.

I never really noticed it before tbh but a friend of mine who is a big boxing fan, well I was trying to convert him and he pointed it out, it's hard to not see it when it's pointed out to you.

It's hard to make classic boxing work in MMA, but there are high level kickboxing stylists in every weight class, you just have to high up the ranks to see it.

Gumbi wrote: »
    It's hard to make classic boxing work in MMA, but there are high level kickboxing stylists in every weight class, you just have to high up the ranks to see it.

No doubt and I generally don't like the mma boxing comparison as head movement is easy when you don't have to worry about leg/body kicks and takedowns.

But I was countering the Ronda took alot of shots coming in argument, by pointing out the men are just as bad, I'm very open to correction here but I can't think of a single fighter who gets in and out clean I'm striking

• Registered Users Posts: 39,088 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Rousey via Decision
    jcd5971 wrote: »
    But I was countering the Ronda took alot of shots coming in argument, by pointing out the men are just as bad, I'm very open to correction here but I can't think of a single fighter who gets in and out clean I'm striking
    I'm not sure how you can say the men are just as bad tbh. There are clearly a number of very talented strikers in the men's division. Striking covers more than boxing.
    I think the issue is that you are using traditional boxing as the benchmark of "effective striking", when that may not be the case in MMA. Kicks and takedowns make a huge difference. As do the gloves. Put two boxers in a boxing match, give them MMA gloves but change nothing else. I'd imagine a traditional boxing style would sudden appear a lot less effective. Smaller gloves get though more, smaller glives block less.

Cowser could probably give you a more comprehensive answer tbh. It's an interesting topic imo.

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    I'm not sure how you can say the men are just as bad tbh. There are clearly a number of very talented strikers in the men's division. Striking covers more than boxing.
    I think the issue is that you are using traditional boxing as the benchmark of "effective striking", when that may not be the case in MMA. Kicks and takedowns make a huge difference. As do the gloves. Put two boxers in a boxing match, give them MMA gloves but change nothing else. I'd imagine a traditional boxing style would sudden appear a lot less effective. Smaller gloves get though more, smaller glives block less.

Cowser could probably give you a more comprehensive answer tbh. It's an interesting topic imo.

True I never argued otherwise, I think your missing the point I'm countering the argument about the amount of times she got hit by correia to deliver her shots. At no point am I questioning the effectiveness of striking but how they get hit moving in which I see little difference between the men and women divisons

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Correia via KO/TKO
    True I never argued otherwise, I think your missing the point I'm countering the argument about the amount of times she got hit by correia to deliver her shots. At no point am I questioning the effectiveness of striking but how they get hit moving in which I see little difference between the men and women divisons

Sometimes is not about training not to get hit. But how you react when you are hit.

In this case Ronda won by keeping the pressure on. She ate a couple shots but kept the pressure on until the finish. Had she pulled out to reset it could have given Correia time to recoup and get herself together. In this case taking a couple shots to finish the fight with an exclamation point is not always a bad thing.

Sometimes is not about training not to get hit. But how you react when you are hit.

In this case Ronda won by keeping the pressure on. She ate a couple shots but kept the pressure on until the finish. Had she pulled out to reset it could have given Correia time to recoup and get herself together. In this case taking a couple shots to finish the fight with an exclamation point is not always a bad thing.

Again I think your missing the point, I agree with everything your saying, I even raised the same points you did in relation to boxing comparison if you go back a few posts, :-)

I was countering someone else's argument that her women's divisons striking is poor, because they get hit so much, my only point is that the men take the same shots. Whether they walk through the shots or not is irrelevant to the argument imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I don't think Ronda really gave a sh1t about getting hit....i think she wanted to inflict a beating and so what if that meant taking a few

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Correia via KO/TKO
    Ronda can take punches from anyone in that division. I would go as far as to say that everyone in that division has average to poor striking. Even Holly Holm who had a very successful professional boxing/kickboxing career hasn't show much in the striking department in all honesty, certainly nothing that would get Ronda thinking twice IMO.

Rousey's gameplan is generally always to initiate the clinch which she's happy to take the inevitable punches to do as she knows they're not likely to do any real damage, and when she gets you in the clinch - it's game over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

darced wrote: »
    Very rarely you see men walking straight into punches without some effort to move their head or roll the punch,the way Ronda walks straight forward and reaches out to attempt to clinch while punching from distance with her chin in the air would get every male pro knocked out,you never see it.

Re watched Ronda fight there again to be sure and respectfully I disagree with you on it, there are a few high lvl guys with good movement I'm sure, but Ronda was no poorer than most of the men in ufc in my opinion

Correia via KO/TKO
    Two years ago today.

If someone had told you that night that Ronda would lose her next two fights by KO to Holm and Nunes and almost certainly retire and never fight again, they'd have been sectioned!

It's crazy looking back at some of the comments in the thread now (my own very much included) knowing what happened over the next 16 months after this fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,512 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Rousey via Decision
    Zero-Cool wrote: »

I don't think Holm is anywhere near beating Rousey

pharndpu881.jpg

Correia via KO/TKO
    Paully D wrote: »
    Ronda can take punches from anyone in that division. I would go as far as to say that everyone in that division has average to poor striking. Even Holly Holm who had a very successful professional boxing/kickboxing career hasn't show much in the striking department in all honesty, certainly nothing that would get Ronda thinking twice IMO.

:pac: :pac: :pac:

jcd5971 wrote:
    Re watched Ronda fight there again to be sure and respectfully I disagree with you on it, there are a few high lvl guys with good movement I'm sure, but Ronda was no poorer than most of the men in ufc in my opinion

Da **** was I on about.

Advertisement