Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 190 - Rousey v Correia

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

JJayoo wrote: »
    Kat deserves another shot

Why do you reckon? Honest question curious to see your thoughts on it considering she was obliterated and hasn't even fought since, plus zimbabwe has always been a slow starter which plays into Rondas hands.

With meisha at least the odds are good that she will get out of first round, and she is improving a lot still no match for Ronda imo but better than kat.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,601 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Rousey via Decision
    Kat is tough out and could do some damage. She just made a really bad decision in the last fight, way too emotional with most people shouting 'wtf are you doooooing??' I think she should get a shot after Cupcake and hopefully finish her mma career with ab epic bout against cyborg.

I don't think Holm is anywhere near beating Rousey

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

jcd5971 wrote: »
    Why do you reckon? Honest question curious to see your thoughts on it considering she was obliterated and hasn't even fought since, plus zimbabwe has always been a slow starter which plays into Rondas hands.

With meisha at least the odds are good that she will get out of first round, and she is improving a lot still no match for Ronda imo but better than kat.

The fight they had was more a freak incident/moment of magic/insanity rather than a fight, much in the same way that Aldo's hit Cub Swanson with a flying knee. Kat also beat Meisha pretty decisively.

I still think Ronda beats her.

Anyone know if Cat is still actually training?

darced wrote: »

Not sure how you can possibly call her stand up terrible from a 34 second fight in which she dominated and knocked her opponent out, and especially when you consider that Correia is known for her striking.

I thought her stand up was very good against Tate in their second fight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Rousey via Decision
    The fight they had was more a freak incident/moment of magic/insanity rather than a fight, much in the same way that Aldo's hit Cub Swanson with a flying knee. Kat also beat Meisha pretty decisively.

It was a good finish and a good third round from Cat but Tate was 2rounds ahead on 2 judges cards before that as far as I remember. In fairness to Cat she knew she needed the finish and went out and got it but without it, she would have lost on points or at best gotten a MD with a 10-8 round.

Like I said, good finish though, but not what I'd call a decisive victory.

John_D80 wrote: »
    It was a good finish and a good third round from Cat but Tate was 2rounds ahead on 2 judges cards before that as far as I remember. In fairness to Cat she knew she needed the finish and went out and got it but without it, she would have lost on points or at best gotten a MD with a 10-8 round.

Like I said, good finish though, but not what I'd call a decisive victory.

From what I can remember Cat destroyed Tate for the entirity of the 3rd round.

Rousey via Decision

+1

In terms of striking, rousey is probably top 3 out of a very bad lot in fairness. If she went out against a decent power striker like cyborg, swinging as wild as she did against correia, she'd get lit up like a Christmas tree and would be shooting for a takedown or hip throw pretty lively.

She just charged in bald headed last night. All straight lines and zero head movement. Could have been very nasty for her if correia could actually throw a power punch.

Rousey via Decision
    From what I can remember Cat destroyed Tate for the entirity of the 3rd round.

Yes indeed she did. Would still probably have lost it if it went to the judges though. Or at best gotten an MD like I said above. Not a decisive victory by any means. Impressive yes but not decisive in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,760 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Rousey via Decision
    I wouldnt call her style free at all,more robotic,her standup was horrible last night and will get her knocked out if she ever faces anyone who can actually punch.
    What are you talking about?? Joe rogan said her standup was outstanding last night :)

Yeah she's training in denver apparently, really working on her stand up and kicking game apparently, schaub was talking about it on hid podcast

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭LastLagoon

New to watching ppvs here,finally got sucked in by the McGregor hype, UFC 189 was my 1st time,am I destined for a lifetime of disappointment because yest morning dragged. Maia fight prob my favourite of the lot. Was it a bit of a weak card because they have to force a load of Brazilians onto it for the home fans?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Correia via KO/TKO
    LastLagoon wrote: »
    New to watching ppvs here,finally got sucked in by the McGregor hype, UFC 189 was my 1st time,am I destined for a lifetime of disappointment because yest morning dragged. Maia fight prob my favourite of the lot. Was it a bit of a weak card because they have to force a load of Brazilians onto it for the home fans?

Same way they do for the Irish cards, same they do for the Brits

It wasn't a great card, i'd have given it a 7/10

scudzilla wrote: »
    Same way they do for the Irish cards, same they do for the Brits

It wasn't a great card, i'd have given it a 7/10

Yep agree 189 was like ufc 100 just special maybe get an event like that every few years tbh.
    I'd say it was a 6/10 tho myself

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

189 was something special. If you're a football fan it was like the summer of a world cup basically! Even for the UFC 189 was something special and outside of Aldo v McGregor there aren't that many events that are going to reach that sort of hype at least not in the mainstream media. While people here will rave about Rousey (for good reason) she just doesn't have that mainstream appeal of McGregor.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Correia via KO/TKO

As I said to someone while watching UFC 189 - "this is it for us, it's never going to get any better than this". :pac:

jimmii wrote: »
    189 was something special. If you're a football fan it was like the summer of a world cup basically! Even for the UFC 189 was something special and outside of Aldo v McGregor there aren't that many events that are going to reach that sort of hype at least not in the mainstream media. While people here will rave about Rousey (for good reason) she just doesn't have that mainstream appeal of McGregor.

Dunno about that at all according to dana ufc 190 was on track to out sell 189 in terms of ppv buys which is just crazy, plus I think Ronda is a far bigger deal than conor in the US.

Paully D wrote: »
    As I said to someone while watching UFC 189 - "this is it for us, it's never going to get any better than this". :pac:

If they get Also in a ring vs McGreogor its certainly going to rival it. That or an unlikey Lesnar vs CM Punk match up!

Dunno about that at all according to dana ufc 190 was on track to out sell 189 in terms of ppv buys which is just crazy, plus I think Ronda is a far bigger deal than conor in the US.

Yeh I mean for us here. Worldwide I think he would be surprised how big Rousey (rightly) is compared to McGregor. She really is incredible how far she is ahead of the rest is something quite amazing.

• Advertisement

Yeh I mean for us here. Worldwide I think he would be surprised how big Rousey (rightly) is compared to McGregor. She really is incredible how far she is ahead of the rest is something quite amazing.

I get you now, yep that makes sense

I get you now, yep that makes sense

Can you imagine the PPV numbers if the McGregorwagon we had here spread worldwide it would be insane! I think for the most part right now its reserved for us here and the American "Irish" for now he is somewhat under the radar for everyone else still. Aldo could well be the moment that sends him full mainstream if it can be put together.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,159 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Rousey via Decision
    Can you imagine the PPV numbers if the McGregorwagon we had here spread worldwide it would be insane! I think for the most part right now its reserved for us here and the American "Irish" for now he is somewhat under the radar for everyone else still. Aldo could well be the moment that sends him full mainstream if it can be put together.
    I think you're about 5 fights late with that one. He is probably the exact opposite of "under the radar" at this point. Media coverage, forum posts, Conan O'Brien etc
    He always have that extra buzz from the irish contingent.

As an example of the reach of McGregor. Some guy posts a photo on Reddit. It's himself and his mates in a bar, with Frankie Edgar (maybe) in the background. First two comments are;
    "The LAAADS"
    and
    "Niamh Longback Lynch"

I lol'd anyway
    www.reddit.com/r/MMA/comments/3fjq2z/so_just_randomly_flipping_through_old_photos_and/

Mellor wrote: »
    I think you're about 5 fights late with that one. He is probably the exact opposite of "under the radar" at this point. Media coverage, forum posts, Conan O'Brien etc
    He always have that extra buzz from the irish contingent.

As an example of the reach of McGregor. Some guy posts a photo on Reddit. It's himself and his mates in a bar, with Frankie Edgar (maybe) in the background. First two comments are;
    "The LAAADS"
    and
    "Niamh Longback Lynch"

I lol'd anyway
    www.reddit.com/r/MMA/comments/3fjq2z/so_just_randomly_flipping_through_old_photos_and/

Poor name I wonder did she ever get to those squats

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭PM me nudes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

is it true beth took up MMA just three years ago at the age of 28? that's pretty ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭PM me nudes

froog wrote: »
    is it true beth took up MMA just three years ago at the age of 28? that's pretty ridiculous.

I think it was 4, she took it up to lose weight.
    She's a former accountant IIRC

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Mmmm_Lemony

Rousey via Decision

The more I look at that the more I think it was a fix. Ref stopped it too early.

In all seriousness though I hate to say it but it's getting pretty annoying watching Rousey fight. Not that every MMA fight needs to be a brawl, it's that no one is even close to her level.

Anderson Silva had similar dominance but even during his reign there was only 1/2 fights that were very short.

Rousey is just too good. The UFC must have to spend a lot of money to build up fighters that take her on and also load cards to ensure an audience. Why would fans want to pay a small fortune for a ticket to see 30 seconds of action?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Correia via KO/TKO
    The more I look at that the more I think it was a fix. Ref stopped it too early.

Watch Beth headbutt the canvas and tell me it was a fix.

http://gfycat.com/SardonicConcernedHuman

• Advertisement

Right on the ear, very similar to the punch Conor dropped Poirier with.

Advertisement