Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Springboard courses. Free college courses sponsored by the Irish Government

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭oopsies

Anyone know much about the Digital Marketing Institute?
    I got accepted onto their Postgrad Level 9 program, but wondering if its worth it? Or maybe Id be better looking into CIM...?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

When did you do your online registration?

Last Monday, Aug 24th, so got invoice a week later

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭onrail

Has anyone completed, or is anyone completing the HDip in Science in Data Analytics in NCI (Blended - 1 year) while working a full-time job?

I've been accepted to the course (subject to me confirming), but having second thoughts as to how feasible it is to complete well while working full time with a young child.

Also wonder what the likelihood is of there being actual classroom sessions this year? I've applied with the hope that all will continue to be delivered fully online, as I live about 90 mins from the campus.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Skidfingers

If you decide to drop out/don’t pass the course/decide you don’t like the course, will government come looking for the amount they paid?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

If you decide to drop out/don’t pass the course/decide you don’t like the course, will government come looking for the amount they paid?

To be honest if you have doubts don't take the place lots of people on waiting lists who would miss out if people drop out after starting.

Just make sure you pass at a minimum easier said that done I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

No but you will be prevented from using springboard for a number of years. You can withdraw an offer you have accepted before the course starts and apply for any other course that is still taking applications.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Skidfingers

No but you will be prevented from using springboard for a number of years. You can withdraw an offer you have accepted before the course starts and apply for any other course that is still taking applications.

I’m happy to take this course And I think I’ll enjoy it, but I just want to ensure incase there’s a slim chance I don’t like it or feel it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

Did anyone get an invoice from NUIG? I got an email last week saying an invoice would be sent shortly and was to be paid by 4 Sept. No sign of it though.

Vetch wrote:
    Did anyone get an invoice from NUIG? I got an email last week saying an invoice would be sent shortly and was to be paid by 4 Sept. No sign of it though.

Not yet but when I do will let you know

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭tv3tg4

. You can withdraw an offer you have accepted before the course starts and apply for any other course that is still taking applications.

They added a course the other day that I am interested. I have already accepted another course.

I'll see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

No they won't.
    I'm sure there's 101 reasons you can come up with that sound genuine.

I'm also sure the drop out rate is quiet high given that people get the course for free or only pay 10%, therefore they don't value it or commit to it as much as they would if they were paying the full amount themselves.

If after a couple of months the course isn't as described and you feel it's not gonna benefit you, then by all means pull out and save your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

Vetch wrote: »

I haven't heard a thing since the initial email from NUIG back at the start of August yet registration were supposed to be open at the end of Aug

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Blizzard

cefh17 wrote: »
    I haven't heard a thing since the initial email from NUIG back at the start of August yet registration were supposed to be open at the end of Aug

I contacted the course coordinator at NUIG on 26 August enquiring about same and was told this about my course: "Course commences in October, details still to be finalised. I will be in touch in the coming weeks."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Still waiting to hear from Sligo regarding payment etc. Did say it would be late August or start or September when I accepted the course

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kenyard

I have a start end of September.
    Got an email Tuesday with details.
    It says I have payment due but when I login to pay it says there's a balance of 0.
    If you are in October I'd wait a week or 2 yet. Looks like 3-4 weeks notice

• Registered Users Posts: 7,428 ✭✭✭tritium

onrail wrote: »
    Has anyone completed, or is anyone completing the HDip in Science in Data Analytics in NCI (Blended - 1 year) while working a full-time job?

I've been accepted to the course (subject to me confirming), but having second thoughts as to how feasible it is to complete well while working full time with a young child.

Also wonder what the likelihood is of there being actual classroom sessions this year? I've applied with the hope that all will continue to be delivered fully online, as I live about 90 mins from the campus.

Its doable but its hard work. I've done evening college pre-kids with a lot of dads and mums who were going back. We were all fitting it around work.. It definitely was harder for them in terms of making time than it was for anyone who didn't have those responsibilities. That said, most of them had a organised approach and managed fine.

I wouldn't let that concern hold you back tbh. There'll always be something that makes it difficult but the upside to completing a good qualification makes it worth the effort. I'm figuring on my side its going to be a lot of hours and hard work (signed up for the postgrad diploma in NCI) but hopefully it will give me something pretty valuable at the end and so is worth doing

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭DK man

Gadge wrote: »
    Anyone here doing science in computing 2 year PT in TU Dublin Blanch? Need to get a rival gang going :D

Hi Gadge - I'll join your gang :D Blanch rocks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭shanec1928

bennyx_o wrote: »
    Still waiting to hear from Sligo regarding payment etc. Did say it would be late August or start or September when I accepted the course
    likewise, emailed admissions about it and received a vague in the next few weeks type answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

They had an online event a few weeks ago and said registration for online courses was happening and would continue right up until 28th, but also said induction would be the week preceeding 28th September - would assume any online Springboard courses fall into this category also

tritium wrote: »
    Its doable but its hard work. I've done evening college pre-kids with a lot of dads and mums who were going back. We were all fitting it around work.. It definitely was harder for them in terms of making time than it was for anyone who didn't have those responsibilities. That said, most of them had a organised approach and managed fine.

I wouldn't let that concern hold you back tbh. There'll always be something that makes it difficult but the upside to completing a good qualification makes it worth the effort. I'm figuring on my side its going to be a lot of hours and hard work (signed up for the postgrad diploma in NCI) but hopefully it will give me something pretty valuable at the end and so is worth doing

Excellent thanks! I can’t find mention anywhere of how many hours of ‘autonomous learning’ are recommended in addition to lecture time? That might swing it for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭chicken foot

cefh17 wrote: »

Also havent heard a thing from NUIG. My status has gone to "accepted" and my application has been downloaded multiple times - most recently 21st August. I also expected to hear before now but ill sit tight another day or two.

onrail wrote:
    Excellent thanks! I can’t find mention anywhere of how many hours of ‘autonomous learning’ are recommended in addition to lecture time? That might swing it for me

If you contact the course director they will give you an idea

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

Also havent heard a thing from NUIG. My status has gone to "accepted" and my application has been downloaded multiple times - most recently 21st August. I also expected to hear before now but ill sit tight another day or two.

I'm not sure did you get word today, but my course admin got in touch with my ID# and to register as soon as possible. Hopefully yours will be soon too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Gadge

DK man wrote: »
    Hi Gadge - I'll join your gang :D Blanch rocks!

Everyone else sucks! :D

Have you heard anything lately from them? Last communication to me was to take my deposit. I've emailed them a few times with regards to modules etc as I wanted to get a head start but they're useless to get back. I don't eve. Have a start date.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭AngryLips

I've just finished this course but not the online version (however final semester was online, plus second half of the second semester due to COVID). The college have confirmed that all classes will be online for the first semester, with the option to come in for some labs, however anything that requires coming in will also be made available through distance learning if at all possible. They haven't said anything about second semester but I expect there's a good chance you won't have to be on site for that either. Wait, are you applying for the January in-take? I don't know what the situation will be for that, but I think there's a 100% online version of the course too.

I think your experience of the course will depend on what expectations you bring to it. Be prepared for a lot of statistics and programming, it's definitely the type of course that you need to apply yourself to. You could coast it, but then what's the point? You're not going to learn any of the programming languages that way and you won't get that much from it.

Most of the people who completed the course seem to agree it's one of the most stressful things they've have to do. That's pretty much my experience too. It was very demanding, I did it while working and without kids. Don't know how you'd manage with the extra responsibility of children though there were people in your situation doing the course. There was a high drop-out/deferral rate I believe in my year.

AngryLips wrote: »
    I've just finished this course but not the online version (however final semester was online, plus second half of the second semester due to COVID). The college have confirmed that all classes will be online for the first semester, with the option to come in for some labs, however anything that requires coming in will also be made available through distance learning if at all possible. They haven't said anything about second semester but I expect there's a good chance you won't have to be on site for that either. Wait, are you applying for the January in-take? I don't know what the situation will be for that, but I think there's a 100% online version of the course too.

I think your experience of the course will depend on what expectations you bring to it. Be prepared for a lot of statistics and programming, it's definitely the type of course that you need to apply yourself to. You could coast it, but then what's the point? You're not going to learn any of the programming languages that way and you won't get that much from it.

Most of the people who completed the course seem to agree it's one of the most stressful things they've have to do. That's pretty much my experience too. It was very demanding, I did it while working and without kids. Don't know how you'd manage with the extra responsibility of children though there were people in your situation doing the course. There was a high drop-out/deferral rate I believe in my year.

That's really helpful, thanks. While I'm not a complete beginner at coding, I'm definitely a novice - so everything is screaming to me that it would be a tough ask to balance everything.

Out of interest, how did you find employment prospects afterwards? To be honest, if I knew that a year of effort would lead to a decent start in a new industry at the end, I'd put up with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭bren2001

If you know the ECTS credits for each module or the course it's relatively easy to work out how many hours the University estimates that the average students should be undertaking. 1 ECTS = 25 hours of work. So a 5 credit module is 125 hours of work. A 30 credit course is 750 hours divided over the term (from day 1 to the end of the exam period).

Of course, some students don't need to devote that much time to get a high mark and others need to devote much more. It really depends on where your base starting point is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Out of interest, how did you find employment prospects afterwards? To be honest, if I knew that a year of effort would lead to a decent start in a new industry at the end, I'd put up with it!

Well I only submitted my final project like a month ago and graduation isn't until November, plus I've only been casually looking at other work because I'm already employed. That said, I doubt it will do much career-wise except to get you an 'in' for entry level positions in the field. For me, that's not what I'm after so I can't say. One of the best things about NCI is that it seems to have a really strong careers office compared to my previous uni.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭dazzday

Anybody hear back from NUI Galway for the Data Analytics course? Have been accepted but yet to hear any details regarding registration etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭bleuhh

Hi guys, staying on the Bargain Alerts topic - if you have your college email set up now don't forget to change your Spotify to Spotify Student - it's half price!

Advertisement