Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Springboard courses. Free college courses sponsored by the Irish Government

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭fast_eddie

just email so far.

Same here - got a "Successful application" email from Springboard, and have accepted in the Springboard dashboard. Status for this course has changed to "Accepted" and other applications are "UserCancelled" - but nothing received on paper as yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RunRoryRun

tritium wrote: »
    Awesome, some of these courses are going to have their own little boards gang at this stage. In terms of delivery It’s listed as blended which would mix online and class but there’s no timetable available for this year yet as far as I can see. Hoping that it’s largely online for the first while at least tbh.

It’s 3 semesters with the first semester fully online due to covid. Will see if that changes from January.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭bleuhh

RunRoryRun wrote: »
    It’s 3 semesters with the first semester fully online due to covid. Will see if that changes from January.

Thanks RunRoryRun - good to know that's the case for the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Juicyfruit

JohnButler wrote: »
    Hi, has anyone any experience with AIT springboard courses? I accepted course and registered last week, got my Student number and haven't been able to do much else since.
    Access to the student logins don't seem to be operational yet.
    Also the registration email said to upload photo for student ID but i haven't been able to find the right place on their site to carry this out yet.

Have tried phoning a few times but no answer yet.

Still, excited and looking forward to getting going!
    Hi,
    I accepted a course in AIT too, did you officially register and update all your details through the AIT website by logging in with your student number and password from email?
    After that I don’t think there’s much else to do for now!
    I also have no clue where to upload my picture for student ID!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Anyone get bumped up from reserves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Zeuss

Hi, Just wondering if in receipt of Covid-19 PUP can I apply for ICT course with springboard? The Pup payment is not a qualifying DEASP payment , therefore are any courses level 8 which I can enroll under PUP? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Zeuss wrote: »
    Hi, Just wondering if in receipt of Covid-19 PUP can I apply for ICT course with springboard? The Pup payment is not a qualifying DEASP payment , therefore are any courses level 8 which I can enroll under PUP? Thanks

I applied for a level 8 in DCU and I'm on PUP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Jet Black wrote: »
    I applied for a level 8 in DCU and I'm on PUP.

You need to come off PUP after accepting an offer though - any level. DEASP won’t allow anyone on PUP complete a Springboard course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

You need to come off PUP after accepting an offer though - any level. DEASP won’t allow anyone on PUP complete a Springboard course.

Am I missing something as the below is on the website? So as understand you'd have to pay 10% as you are considered employed?

If you are getting COVID-19 Pandemic Unemployment Payment you will be required to pay 10% of the course fee to the course provider

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

Am I missing something as the below is on the website? So as understand you'd have to pay 10% as you are considered employed?

If you are getting COVID-19 Pandemic Unemployment Payment you will be required to pay 10% of the course fee to the course provider

Does it depend whether your course is full time or part time too?

• Advertisement

it is very confusing and complicated on the same time, being in PUP you can't apply for a course......total nonsense, I thought the springboard is designed mainly for unemployed people who are looking for job or upskilling to get into the job market, seems that employed people have more chances to enroll on the courses than unemployed people. Can you close PUP or transfer to a different payment like JSB? How you do that, this is not a simple procedure and you need to be assessed for JSB/JSA -very confusing and unfortunate for people who are on PUP.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

it is very confusing and complicated on the same time, being in PUP you can't apply for a course......total nonsense, I thought the springboard is designed mainly for unemployed people who are looking for job or upskilling to get into the job market, seems that employed people have more chances to enroll on the courses than unemployed people. Can you close PUP or transfer to a different payment like JSB? How you do that, this is not a simple procedure and you need to be assessed for JSB/JSA -very confusing and unfortunate for people who are on PUP.

JB isn't means tested. If you were working the last year pre-covid you should be okay.

Best to contact your local Intreo office.

You can also apply for JB online and go from there as well.

---

Having a quick look at PUP status - though it's not very clear - it's not an eligible payment because you are not a "jobseeker" per se. So you should be eligible to apply for Springboard courses that are otherwise available for employed people. That's how I would proceed anyway.

Thanks Boonie, I already contacted the local Intreo office and they confirmed the same, PUP is not a approved DSEAP payment. Why? not sure....considering the exceptional circumstances we are in this should be approached differently and take in consideration exceptional conditions for unemployed people who lost the job due the Covid-19. Nobody should be left out just because of confusing rules and poor administration of the policy, basically you are not entitled to enroll and accept a course under PUP. Looks like Springboard si following DEASP rules and if you are in JSB you can apply for the courses. There should be more options to choose for people in this situation. Even if I want to transfer to JSB I will need to have nine months on a DEASP payment by the 28th September to qualify for the course, this is total nonsense.

Found out about this last week and applied for a ton of courses. Got offers for 3 today... not sure which to go for

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Found out about this last week and applied for a ton of courses. Got offers for 3 today... not sure which to go for

Well done what did you go for

kilburn wrote: »
    Well done what did you go for

Well saying I applied for a ton is an exaggeration. Didn't think I'd be asked to list them all :pac:

Post Graduate Diploma in Big Data Management and Analytics [PGDBD-2021]Griffith College

Postgraduate Diploma in Cybersecurity [TBC]Letterkenny Institute of Technology

Postgraduate Diploma in Science in Cyber Security [PGDCYB_SEP]National College of Ireland

Graduate Certificate in Management of Information Systems Strategy [MISSFC]Dublin City University

Post Graduate Diploma in Digital Interactive Media [PGADM-2021]Griffith College

Got an offer on the first 3. I decided to apply for as many as possible and work back from whatever I get an offer in. I wasn't sure if I'd get an offer at all so late in the game. I keep changing my mind.

What a great service though at 1/10 of the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Blizzard

That's great partyjungle! I applied for about five courses as well and got three acceptances but not at the same time, so I declined the first acceptance, was unsuccessful on another and was then crossing fingers and toes that my first or second choice would come up, and they did thankfully - so I was able to pick my first choice in the end. Hope everyone else here gets good news too as it is a great service.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭patspost

I have accepted a course in LIT, via Springboard but have no further communication from Lit.

Has anyone else accepted a lit course.
    Have you received email from lit?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

patspost wrote: »
    I have accepted a course in LIT, via Springboard but have no further communication from Lit.

I wouldn't worry too much about it yet. I accepted with Sligo at the start of the month and they said they would be in contact at the end of August or start of September regarding enrolment and payment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

I got offered my first choice. It will be a year of hard work but what else will be doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Skidfingers

bennyx_o wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry too much about it yet. I accepted with Sligo at the start of the month and they said they would be in contact at the end of August or start of September regarding enrolment and payment.

I got an email on Monday from Sligo IT about registration. I’m set up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

I got an email on Monday from Sligo IT about registration. I’m set up now.
    Hopefully won't be much longer for me, not going to panic just yet

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Thanks Boonie, I already contacted the local Intreo office and they confirmed the same, PUP is not a approved DSEAP payment. Why? not sure....considering the exceptional circumstances we are in this should be approached differently and take in consideration exceptional conditions for unemployed people who lost the job due the Covid-19. Nobody should be left out just because of confusing rules and poor administration of the policy, basically you are not entitled to enroll and accept a course under PUP. Looks like Springboard si following DEASP rules and if you are in JSB you can apply for the courses. There should be more options to choose for people in this situation. Even if I want to transfer to JSB I will need to have nine months on a DEASP payment by the 28th September to qualify for the course, this is total nonsense.

You're not approaching this from the right angle.

It's not that you're on an "non-DEASP payment", it's that PUP while a DEASP payment, it is an "ineligible DEASP payment", ie. Itis NOT a jobseeker's payment.

You are not a jobseeker) and thus is ineligible for any courses for which jobseeker's are eligible.

As you have a status of being still "in employment", you are however likely to be eligible for any course that those in employment can apply for.

Eg. I applied for the 2 year PT HDip in Data Analytics in Athlone IT but only those in employment could apply. So my application was cancelled. You however, would be eligible to apply for this course.

Here's the response I received; this should clear things up from your POV:
    Athlone IT wrote:

Hi BonnieSituation,

Unfortunately your application for the Part-time Higher Diploma in Analytics has been unsuccessful, as those on Jobseekers payments are not eligible. Below is the reason (taken from www.springboardcourses.ie ), and you can find further details here https://springboardcourses.ie/eligibility

In relation to the two-year part-time ICT Conversion courses, those who are in receipt of a Jobseekers payment, or a Farm Assist payment, or a Qualified Adults of Working Age payment are not eligible for these two-year courses.

Yours,

Janine King

I hope that clears it up for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 morchgally

patspost wrote: »

Yes I accepted an LIT course. Received an email from the Springboard section yesterday with the following:

"This programme will commence on the XX XXXX 2020 and we will be in contact with you shortly with your student number, timetable, login details etc.

For now, please officially accept your offer via your Springboard+ personal account and bear with us; you will receive more detailed information within a couple of weeks"

I'm sure they will be in touch with you shortly. IF not, try sending them an email as they had been responsive in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭roro1990

I applied via Springboard for a postgrad diploma in Cybersecurity but I'm second guessing myself now after I saw a detailed post on reddit saying you need solid coding skills to get a job in that field (I have zero coding skills beyond basic SQL queries).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Aye, this is also on the eligibility page:

“People in receipt of the Covid-19 Pandemic Unemployment Payment (PUP) can apply for a Springboard+ part-time course. The fee will be waived for these applicants. It is however the responsibility of the applicant in receipt of a PUP payment to discuss retaining a DEASP payment with their case officer in their local INTREO office when their offer is accepted and before they complete first registration for the course through www.springboardcourses.ie“;

And this or similar is what you’ll get back from INTREO:

“It has been advised that those in receipt of PUP who apply for part time Springboard courses can only retain a weekly welfare payment if they transfer to a qualifying payment. This is to ensure that these applications will have an alternative source of income on cessation of PUP.”

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭MrsBean

I applied for two Policy courses in DCU and last week was told my applications were unsuccessful. I emailed to ask if it failed on eligibility grounds or whatever just so I'd know for future. They replied saying my application was 'strong' but they had a large number of applications this year. No indication of a waiting list. Anyone know what the likelihood is of a second round offer if some of those accepted drop out or do something else? Or am I holding on to false hope?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭py

roro1990 wrote: »
    I applied via Springboard for a postgrad diploma in Cybersecurity but I'm second guessing myself now after I saw a detailed post on reddit saying you need solid coding skills to get a job in that field (I have zero coding skills beyond basic SQL queries).

I wouldn't discount it just yet. There's a wide variety of areas within Cybersecurity such as privacy, risk etc. where you wouldn't need coding skills. They're something you can learn anyway. Don't give up before you start :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

Got the Bill from NIBRT today for 10%, was looking forward to getting this invoice as meant all had got to plan!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Skidfingers

Got the Bill from NIBRT today for 10%, was looking forward to getting this invoice as meant all had got to plan!

When did you do your online registration?

Advertisement