Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N4 - Collooney to Castlebaldwin [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Paddico

Looking good

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

This looks like it was probably ahead of schedule at the time - what level of shutdown did they have?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Scheme works clearly visible on Google Maps aerial view now.

Edit: And Streetview!

The parallel local roads on the Collooney end of this project are almost complete. I presume traffic will be diverted onto these roads temporarily, which will become one way only, the western road being northbound and vice versa? This should allow for a very progressive and unhindered upgrade of the original road to dual carriageway standard.

I would be surprised if this isn't completed much earlier than October next year. Based on current progress, I would bet maybe June or July?

Does anyone know why the Inver filling station in Castlebaldwin closed earlier this year? It was only reopened 2 years ago and was a great economic and visual boost to the village. They had a large Mullins foodcourt and grocery store as well as the filling station. It's sad to see it closed in such a prime location. Even with the bypass, it would still be a useful stopover as it will be the only convenient place to refuel etc between Sligo and Carrick-on-Shannon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭dakar

The parallel local roads on the Collooney end of this project are almost complete. I presume traffic will be diverted onto these roads temporarily, which will become one way only, the western road being northbound and vice versa? This should allow for a very progressive and unhindered upgrade of the original road to dual carriageway standard.

I would be surprised if this isn't completed much earlier than October next year. Based on current progress, I would bet maybe June or July?

Both North and Southbound traffic will be diverted onto the eastern access road. The western one just goes as far as the L3606 (at the halting site).

As regards Castlebaldwin, I agree it was a pity to lose the amenity of the shop/restaurant/filling station, but I assume it was an economic decision to close, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

An Inver/Mullins station closed out of the blue recently in Letterkenny not long after a major refurb, maybe some bigger business issues

An Inver/Mullins station closed out of the blue recently in Letterkenny not long after a major refurb, maybe some bigger business issues

It's the same in Castlebaldwin, it was suddenly closed back in February according to Ocean FM. There's no info about it on the Inver website, apart from a lengthy press release about its opening in 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ryanch09

Does anyone know why the Inver filling station in Castlebaldwin closed earlier this year? It was only reopened 2 years ago and was a great economic and visual boost to the village. They had a large Mullins foodcourt and grocery store as well as the filling station. It's sad to see it closed in such a prime location. Even with the bypass, it would still be a useful stopover as it will be the only convenient place to refuel etc between Sligo and Carrick-on-Shannon.

While it was great for the village to have it there, my problem with it is, as someone who frequently travels between Sligo and Dublin, there's very little reason for me to stop there. I would usually fill up at the very start of the journey and if I'm stopping for a toilet break coming from Dublin I'll usually do it in Carrick as by the time I get to Castlebaldwin I'm usually just thinking of getting to Sligo ASAP at that stage. I would guess that if anyone was travelling the route looking to stop for food many of them would know that there's Supermacs in Carrick and would press on until they get there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

The n4 realignment collooney to castlebaldwin
    RcyNCCV.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

We must have no N4 regulars on here.

The 3km of N4 that's part of the online upgrade at the northern end of this scheme is now closed until August 13th 2021. Traffic is now using the Eastern Parallel Road (shown in some pictures above) which will become the local access route when the mainline N4 is upgraded to 2+2.

The fact they are showing a reopening date for a section of N4 to be upgraded to 2+2 may give a hint that the full upgrade will be complete in August.

That section has been closed for some weeks now. I took some pics of the new road when I went for a walk on it a while back but I'm unable to upload them to this unfortunately. It keeps asking for a url when I try to upload them.

The userability of boards is declining rather than improving....

^^You can try uploading them to a third party site (I use imgbb) then just link them here

I used to be a semi regular on the N4 (around once per month) but the pandemic put an end to that, think January was the last time I was on it and that was in the dark. Looking forward to seeing progress though at the rate things are going it might be finished before I get the chance again!

marno21 wrote: »

N4 regular, but only remember this thread when it pops up in my followed threads when someone else posts!

The Eastern Parallel route will be my regular commute even after the N4 upgrade is complete. I’ve been watching the whole process with fascination since they started. They’ve been making great progress lately.

Some pics I took a few weeks back.

A couple more. This was located roughly halfway along the route of the project. There were other walkers there too as it was a Sunday. Technically illegal, but a great walk on a sunny Sunday.

I would expect with most of the work from Castlebaldwin to Cloonmahon due to finish up within the next 8 weeks or so, possibly sooner, it will allow the on-route widening at Collooney and the tie-in at Castlebaldwin to be accelerated. This road could well be open by May or June next year.

A couple more. This was located roughly halfway along the route of the project. There were other walkers there too as it was a Sunday. Technically illegal, but a great walk on a sunny Sunday.

I would expect with most of the work from Castlebaldwin to Cloonmahon due to finish up within the next 8 weeks or so, possibly sooner, it will allow the on-route widening at Collooney and the tie-in at Castlebaldwin to be accelerated. This road could well be open by May or June next year.
    Wow. Fantastic news that. I had no idea they were that close to finishing the mainline.

An early opening is pretty much guaranteed if that's the case. It would hardly take another year to complete what's left.

It's really remarkable to compare this vast new road with the old one. It's about 6 times wider. In circa 8/9 months, Boyle to Sligo, indeed Carrick-on-Shannon to Sligo, will be non-stop bar a couple of roundabouts. Such a change from the early 90s when one had to take the dengerously windy route through the Curlew Mountains, Ballinafad, the existing Castlebaldwin to Collooney stretch, through Collooney and Ballisodare and through the southern suburbs of Sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

marno21 wrote: »

The 3km of N4 that's part of the online upgrade at the northern end of this scheme is now closed until August 13th 2021. Traffic is now using the Eastern Parallel Road (shown in some pictures above) which will become the local access route when the mainline N4 is upgraded to 2+2.

The fact they are showing a reopening date for a section of N4 to be upgraded to 2+2 may give a hint that the full upgrade will be complete in August.
    Was on it somewhat recently, in the dark though. It didn't seem like the detour was 3 km long, it just went through some new road sections near some buildings with a couple of roundabouts. The existing road is much worse than it appears on a map, it will be good to see this completed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭steeler j

Some great photos ,they are flying along with the work

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭scooby77

Fantastic progress. Wonder if they could spare a week or two and sort out mess at n15/rosses point junction! At this rate N4 be finished before it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

scooby77 wrote: »
    Fantastic progress. Wonder if they could spare a week or two and sort out mess at n15/rosses point junction! At this rate N4 be finished before it!!!
    What is happening at that junction?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭shanec1928

What is happening at that junction?
    a whole lot of road works with little benefit.

https://www.sligococo.ie/PublicNotices/N4-N15SligoUrbanImprovementSchemeUpdate/

It should improve the traffic flow when it’s done, it was a fairly tedious junction layout beforehand with the N4, N15, N16 and local Rosses Point traffic converging at a cobbled together mishmash of junctions.

The roadworks are clogging the whole flow of traffic northbound along the mid block route as two lanes merge into one just south of Hughes’ Bridge and do seem to be taking a very long time.

Full description here:
    https://www.sligococo.ie/N4-N15/

Seems to be taking forever there alright and it's an absolute mess trying to get through at busy times, took me a good half an hour crawling along the diversion a few weeks back

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭scooby77

Southbound diversion just as bad, if not worse and more unpredictable. Not sure what major benefit it'll be when complete really.
    Of course it goes back to old chestnut of building a bypass through the town in 1st place (so not really a bypass!)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,519 ✭✭✭blackwhite

dakar wrote: »
    It should improve the traffic flow when it’s done, it was a fairly tedious junction layout beforehand with the N4, N15, N16 and local Rosses Point traffic converging at a cobbled together mishmash of junctions.

The roadworks are clogging the whole flow of traffic northbound along the mid block route as two lanes merge into one just south of Hughes’ Bridge and do seem to be taking a very long time.

Full description here:
    https://www.sligococo.ie/N4-N15/

I’m not convinced it’s going to help matters. It’s going to end up with basically the same junctions - just with the elimination of the slip road for Cartron/Rosses Point. Hard to see how it improves anything on the traffic flows

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭shanec1928

blackwhite wrote: »
    I’m not convinced it’s going to help matters. It’s going to end up with basically the same junctions - just with the elimination of the slip road for Cartron/Rosses Point. Hard to see how it improves anything on the traffic flows
    Exactly will still bottle neck around circle k.

• Advertisement

Another pic of the N4. I can't remember if I was looking north or south.

Advertisement