Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 246 McGregor vs Cerrone Sat Jan 18th (See first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

McGregor via Submission
    theteal wrote: »
    I don't want to write Cerrone off but he's hardly convincing with his "happy to be there" vibe he's been giving off all week

Yeah, i've thought the same man. Dude seems way too relaxed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

WAR COWBOY!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

Why wouldn't Donald just be happy to be there?

He's making millions off this fight, he's never made as much in the previous 20 years he's been fighting.

It's like a testimonial fight to end his career, as long as he doesn't get seriously injured he's a winner whatever the result.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Cerrone via Decision
    Esse85 wrote: »
    Why wouldn't Donald just be happy to be there?

He's making millions off this fight, he's never made as much in the previous 20 years he's been fighting.

It's like a testimonial fight to end his career, as long as he doesn't get seriously injured he's a winner whatever the result.

He's always happy to be there tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

McGregor via Submission
    Interesting that they chose to bump the Brian Kelleher fight up from the early prelims on to the main card to replaced the cancelled Grasso fight.
    Personally if I was on the fence about buy the pay per view I'd have been far more willing to part with my cash if they had instead move the Yusuff-Fili fight up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Interesting that they chose to bump the Brian Kelleher fight up from the early prelims on to the main card to replaced the cancelled Grasso fight.
    Personally if I was on the fence about buy the pay per view I'd have been far more willing to part with my cash if they had instead move the Yusuff-Fili fight up.

They always place what they think will be a 'good entertaining fight' as the last one before the main card to try and get last minute ppv buys.

McGregor via Submission
    Whelo79 wrote: »
    They always place what they think will be a 'good entertaining fight' as the last one before the main card to try and get last minute ppv buys.

That makes sense and all but they haven't even put the Yusuff fight in that slot. It's the Roxxanne Modaferri fight!

McGregor via Submission
    Pity Grosso missed weight. I was looking forward to seeing Gadelha and how her new training had gone.

When is the first fight on the early prelim starting? I thought its starting at 11.30 but its not playing on any of my sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

mangobob wrote: »
    Not sure about this at all to be honest. I think a lot of people are sleeping on Cowboy. Yes he is in the twilight of his career and somewhat of a gatekeeper but he is still an elite well rounded fighter with unrivaled experience to call upon. He is in the weight class that suits him best, is coming into this with zero pressure as most people expect him to lose and thus he has licence to simply go out there and have a great time. That all adds up to a very dangerous man imo.

I believe that prime CM beats him 9 times out of 10, but after the last fight I have my doubts about whether McGregor is now past his prime or not. Its also really a no win situation for him - beat Cowboy and it will no big deal because he is the big favourite. Lose and it will be a massive blow to his status and ambitions.

lets see.

Am I right in thinking, if Cowboy loses he lost 7 of his las 11 fights?

• Advertisement

I'm guessing it's starting later because of the Grasso v Gadelha fight being off.

McGregor via Submission
    Tilikum17 wrote: »

Correctamundo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

McGregor via Submission
    Would there be somewhere I could watch the card for free when I wake up in the morning? Gonna try avoid results and watch tomorrow.

Correct. But all his losses are against the best fighters in the divisions. Masvidal, Edwards, Till, Lawlor all at 170 and Ferguson, Gaethje at 155.

Correct. But all his losses are against the best fighters in the divisions. Masvidal, Edwards, Till, Lawlor all at 170 and Ferguson, Gaethje at 155.

So why is Conor coming back against a lad that’s a punchbag for everyone else?

Throughout his career he’s picked his fights well. From starting out a 145 which was an absolute joke.
    He knows well what he’s at fighting cowboy.

Lawlor was done ages ago plus masvidal has lost 2 of his last 5 ffs. Nate Diaz facepalm.

Usman/Woolley would rip him to ****. Such a joke.

I’m not on a wind up.

McGregor via Submission

He's the best guy out there who he can be confident of beating right now. Basically it's a tune-up fight without it being too obviously a tune-up fight.

Throughout his career he’s picked his fights well. From starting out a 145 which was an absolute joke.
    He knows well what he’s at fighting cowboy.

Lawlor was done ages ago plus masvidal has lost 2 of his last 5 ffs. Nate Diaz facepalm.

Usman/Woolley would rip him to ****. Such a joke.

I’m not on a wind up.

He was scheduled to return against Gaethje last year but Conor broke his hand. Cowboy is a good return fight after being out for aprx 15 months. You don't just come back and fight Khabib at 155 or Usman or Woodley at 170 as you suggest. That would be madness.

And Cowboy is not a punchbag for everyone else. He holds records for the most wins in UFC, most wins by KO, most wins by head kicks.

He was scheduled to return against Gaethje last year but Conor broke his hand. Cowboy is a good return fight after being out for aprx 15 months. You don't just come back and fight Khabib at 155 or Usman or Woodley at 170 as you suggest. That would be madness.

And Cowboy is not a punchbag for everyone else. He holds records for the most wins in UFC, most wins by KO, most wins by head kicks.

I know all that, bud. He could have 5 fights & he’s never going to beat khabib/tony/usman or woodley. They’re on a different planet.

Surely you can see that.

I know all that, bud. He could have 5 fights & he’s never going to beat khabib/tony/usman or woodley. They’re on a different planet.

Surely you can see that.

Why ask questions if you know all the answers?

Enjoy the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,036 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

McGregor via Submission
    He's the best guy out there who he can be confident of beating right now. Basically it's a tune-up fight without it being too obviously a tune-up fight.

Except it very obviously is a tune up fight :D

Which I have no problem with for the record, its how these things go for the most part. The fact that they have made the card a PPV is the only really bit of ****e hawkery associated with it for me.

This is a tune up comeback fight. Nothing more, nothing less.

Looking forward to a good show when I get up tomorrow.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,839 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

McGregor via Submission
    ricero wrote: »
    Worst fight card on paper since Ufc 208

looking at 208 on paper it looked great compared to tonights card

tonights is certainly not a ppv card in most peoples eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Is Pettis decent value tonight?

He has only lost to top notch guys really.

Except it very obviously is a tune up fight :D

Which I have no problem with for the record, its how these things go for the most part. The fact that they have made the card a PPV is the only really bit of ****e hawkery associated with it for me.

This is a tune up comeback fight. Nothing more, nothing less.

Looking forward to a good show when I get up tomorrow.

A tune up fight for who? I fully expect Conor to win but i don’t know where he’ll go after this.

Maybe Jorge with his nonsense belt.

Looking at his last few fights there. What a farce it become. It’s like the wwe.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,036 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

McGregor via Submission
    A tune up fight for who? I fully expect Conor to win but i don’t know where he’ll go after this.

Maybe Jorge with his nonsense belt.

It gives him options, he wins this one they big it up as being a little more significant than it actually is and he can potentially go after the belt at 170. You know this is very likely. He could also go after Masvidal for sure yep, or he can jump straight back into the 55 title picture depending on what happens with the Khabib v Ferguson bout.

He could take on the winner, or he could step in and have Dana create a lovely "interim" title as he is fond of doing these days and then he is in the mix in both divisions.

I fully expect him to focus more on 155 though if I'm honest, this is just a 155 fight without the weigh cut, same as the Diaz one was initially. Neither man is a natural WW so its not too taxing on McGregor having to dedicate himself properly with the training, and also have to worry about getting a cut right. Look the man has never missed weight in his life so I am sure he could have taken a 155 fight but this one is the minimal risk for the maximum reward path and you can see it makes good business sense.

He wins he is in good position in two divisions. Perception is reality.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Bit of a snoozefest so far. Hopefully this fight gives a bit more entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Still Ill

McGregor via Submission
    Horribly late stoppage!

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

McGregor via Submission

Cowboy is a dead beat, his record is hardly a reflection of the fighter he is now, man united have a great record, is that any good to them these days?
    OK it's a tune up fight but he gets no credit for beating the already beaten cowboy.
    Interesting year for Mc gregor if he sticks to going to bed early and getting up early and saying his prayers . I'd love to see a 100 %mc gregor going at Khabib at the next year with a couple of real fights leading up to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Still Ill wrote: »
    Horribly late stoppage!

Thinking the same

Horribly late stoppage!

The ref got caught on the wrong side there and then was a bit slow getting himself into a better position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Horribly late stoppage!

Said the same. At least five seconds too late.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement