Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

BandMember wrote: »
    Could anyone post the full list of the top 100 plus the lists for each grade, please?

Only the top 20 junior footballers were published this week.

1. Oisin Mullin
    2. James Carr
    3. Justin Healy
    4. Michael Forde
    5. Eddie Doran
    6. Darragh Keaveney
    7. Cathal Horan
    8. Brendan Carr
    9. Jarlath Mullin
    10. Jack Carney
    11. Tomas Fahey
    12. Stephen Rochford
    13. Kevin Dolan
    14. Micheal Hession
    15. Eoin Mc Grath
    16. Michael Mc Garry
    17. Adam Barrett
    18. Matthew Keady
    19. Conor Gilvarry
    20. James Gallagher

Next week in the Mayo News the top intermediate footballers will be published.

Over the following fortnight the top 50 senior footballers will be published.

Latest Mayo News Podcast is very enjoyable.Central theme is the wonderful work that is carried out by our front line health care workers.Same is exemplified by interviews with Mayo ladies footballer Ciara Mc Manamon and Tom Brett.The hardback book he co authored with the great Sean Rice " We are Mayo " appears to be a steal even at the princely retail price of 30 euro.The mentioned front cover features a beautiful vintage Mayo jersey.

Billy Joe Padden as always is informative,on this occasion speaking re a road map for a return to action for players.

https://www.mayonews.ie/sports/listen/35292-audio-football-podcast-14-football-interrupted-part-four?fbclid=IwAR2uxPJru_nInzB5isBB3DNd-nTL8-7gnjq8UTdWroQzi1Bi7GpdAhsm1j8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,343 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

irishgeo wrote: »
    if he lost his business where he going to get the money baord.

The last thing the county board want is croke park in charge of the finances, as the expenses gravy train might be under threat.

I'm not overly familiar (outside of his involvement with Mayo GAA) with him or his business but I thought he was an Investment Manager/Firm... in that, he takes people's millions and invests it, with him taking % fee of their investment.

If that is the case, then he could still be a very wealthy man, with no business. i.e People just wanted to withdraw their money and he closed down the fund, no real loss to him other than the fee he charged his investors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,255 ✭✭✭✭km79

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Who knows... If the league can't be played next year either, we'll still be reigning champions going into 2022 :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

RedDevil55 wrote: »
    Who knows... If the league can't be played next year either, we'll still be reigning champions going into 2022 :)

Back to back league champions.

Top 30 intermediate footballers in 2020 published in the Mayo News.Lots of quality footballers Padraig Prendergast,Barry Moran ( was'nt aware he played that much football last year ) ,Simon Cloherty,Padraig O Malley,Matthew Flanagan,Eamon Philips and Cathal Carolan.There are ample others.

Quelle surprise Keith Higgins tops the poll.

2. Jason Doherty
    3. Darren Coen
    4. Stephen Coen
    5. Jordan Flynn
    6. Conor Loftus
    7. Adam Gallagher
    8. Kevin Gibbons
    9. Evan O Brien
    10. Eoghan Collins

Just outside the top 10 are Fionan Duffy,Jack Coyne.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭FrPhelimYoung

seligehgit wrote: »
    Top 30 intermediate footballers in 2020 published in the Mayo News.Lots of quality footballers Padraig Prendergast,Barry Moran ( was'nt aware he played that much football last year ) ,Simon Cloherty,Padraig O Malley,Matthew Flanagan,Eamon Philips and Cathal Carolan.There are ample others.

Quelle surprise Keith Higgins tops the poll.

2. Jason Doherty
    3. Darren Coen
    4. Stephen Coen
    5. Jordan Flynn
    6. Conor Loftus
    7. Adam Gallagher
    8. Kevin Gibbons
    9. Evan O Brien
    10. Eoghan Collins

Just outside the top 10 are Fionan Duffy,Jack Coyne.

I bought the Mayo News this week to take a look at this. Normally wouldn’t be a regular reader. It felt more like a poll of the “ 30 Best Known Intermediate Footballers”.

I bought the Mayo News this week to take a look at this. Normally wouldn’t be a regular reader. It felt more like a poll of the “ 30 Best Known Intermediate Footballers”.

There's usually a strong correlation between the quality of a footballer and their recognition vis a vis the general public

What changes would you make to the rankings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭6o9fv7jpreb180

Its hard to get a definitive list if the top 30 players. Very subjective and a lot of matches wouldnt have reporters. From playing with him, James Moran from Burrishoole should be there... best intermediate midfielder IMO. Was on Conor loftus in championship this year and only one winner there. Burrish got cleaned out by ballyhaunis after he got a black card in semi. But I'm sure every club has someone the think should be in there.

• Advertisement

Total respect for somebody who has great knowledge of that grade.I wouldn't be overly familiar with it.

Of course a few of The Neale lads miss out after winning the intermediate championship.

The judges are all respected current and former players/managers.

It must be a typo nonetheless as Simon Cloherty is listed amongst the judges.

The senior ranking should be fascinating,it will be quite the accolade to be named the best senior club footballer.

Individual players may translate differently from inter county level performance wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,343 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

The senior ranking should be fascinating,it will be quite the accolade to be named the best senior club footballer.

Individual players may translate differently from inter county level performance wise.

Will it though... or will it just be a ranking of the senior county players who, let's face it, are part time club players with the way things have gone.

A much more interesting list, for me anyway, would have been the best of the rest, i.e those who haven't played National League or Championship for Mayo in the last few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

seligehgit wrote:
    The judges are all respected current and former players/managers.

It must be a typo nonetheless as Simon Cloherty is listed amongst the judges.

Interesting that Simon Cloherty, Cathal Carolan, Adam Gallagher and Adrian Leonard made the top 30 despite being judges :D
    No surprise the county lads rose to the top.

I predict a top 5 of
    1. Diarmaid O C
    2. Paddy D
    3. Kevin Mc
    4. Aidan
    5. Colm B

For all you sadists amongst the Mayo GAA fraternity you've a chance you relive the torture that was the 2013 All Ireland senior football final tomorrow.

Mayo v Dublin @ 14.40

TG4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

For all you sadists amongst the Mayo GAA fraternity you've a chance you relive the torture that was the 2013 All Ireland senior football final tomorrow.

Mayo v Dublin @ 14.40

TG4

FFS, as if things arn't hard enough with this lockdown :(

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Interesting that Simon Cloherty, Cathal Carolan, Adam Gallagher and Adrian Leonard made the top 30 despite being judges :D
    No surprise the county lads rose to the top.

I predict a top 5 of
    1. Diarmaid O C
    2. Paddy D
    3. Kevin Mc
    4. Aidan
    5. Colm B

Think you're spot on with Diarmuid 1 and Paddy 2 but not sure after that. Looking back at the last few championships I'd have Jason Gibbons and Neil Douglas in the top 5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Has Simon Cloherty ever played county level?

Has Simon Cloherty ever played county level?

He played at junior level.I used to see him play for Parke Keelogues many moons ago.A very skillful footballer with a lovely ciotog.Deceptively strong in spite of a relatively slight build.

https://mayogaablog.com/?p=10145

RedDevil55 wrote: »
    Think you're spot on with Diarmuid 1 and Paddy 2 but not sure after that. Looking back at the last few championships I'd have Jason Gibbons and Neil Douglas in the top 5.

Well said.I thought Jason Gibbons was the standout club footballer last year,he's been really good at club level for many a year now.It would not surprise me if he upsets the apple cart vis a vis Diarmuid and Paddy who are certainly top 3.

Neil Douglas has to be in the top 5.

I think Kevin Mc would be deserving of top 5 as year on year he performs for Knockmore as they progress deeper into the championship.

Even Aidan O Shea and Colm Boyle's biggest fans I would not imagine believe they are in the top 5.Although Boyler did enjoy a vintage year in 2019.

Breaffy have not really done enough in recent years at club level.Would Andy Moran come into consideration?Padraig O Hora has consistently performed well for the Stephenites any time I've seen them live.

Gary Loftus,Brian Murphy,Michael Plunkett,Bryan Walsh and young Ciaran Gavin from the Tubber impressed in recent years.Tenacious backs the former 2.

David Drake consistently performs for Ballagh,Owen Jordan,Ryan Lynch and young Kuba Callaghan.

Newly promoted The Neale's Tommy Conroy will surely feature on the list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,434 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Andy would have to be there, he's carried a poor enough Ballaghdereen team the last few years

Excellent article by Micheal Foley.

There's an inherent decency in David Brady,much of what he outlines was previously discussed on OTB and Laochra Gael.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/im-listening-to-people-talk-about-good-deeds-its-inspiring-says-david-brady-3nfc908v5

I know others at times can't take his at times slapstick punditry seriously but I enjoy him.TBF David Brady does not take himself too seriously,a great quality.Kudos to him for his efforts in these most trying of times.

• Advertisement

Latest podcast discussing the player rankings at junior,intermediate and 50-25 thus far at senior club level.

Features an interview with Keith Higgins.Best of luck to him if he does embark on a career change post his one year masters.

https://themayonews.podomatic.com/enclosure/2020-05-22T01_36_06-07_00.mp3

Top 25 club footballers

1. Cillian O Connor
    2. Paddy Durcan
    3. Andy Moran
    4. Diarmuid O Connor
    5. Aidan O Shea
    6. Neil Douglas
    7. Jason Gibbons
    8. Padraig O Hora
    9. Kevin Mc Loughlin
    10. Fergal Boland
    11. Colm Boyle
    12. Michael Plunkett
    13. David Clarke
    14. Matthew Ruane
    15. Ryan O Donoghue
    16. Brendan Harrison
    17. Tommy Conroy
    18. David Drake
    19. Lee Keegan
    20. Shairoze Akram
    21. Rory Byrne
    22. Chris Barrett
    23. Brian Reape
    24. James Mc Cormack
    25. Shane Nally

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Indo are picking their top 20 footballers and hurlers of the last 50 years for each county, Connacht lists out on Thursday.
    I reckon at least 7 or 8 of the above should feature, would say the bulk will have played at least part of their careers this century.

Indo are picking their top 20 footballers and hurlers of the last 50 years for each county, Connacht lists out on Thursday.
    I reckon at least 7 or 8 of the above should feature, would say the bulk will have played at least part of their careers this century.

Looks like I'm buying the Indo on Thursday.:)

Top 25 club footballers

1. Cillian O Connor
    2. Paddy Durcan
    3. Andy Moran
    4. Diarmuid O Connor
    5. Aidan O Shea
    6. Neil Douglas
    7. Jason Gibbons
    8. Padraig O Hora
    9. Kevin Mc Loughlin
    10. Fergal Boland
    11. Colm Boyle
    12. Michael Plunkett
    13. David Clarke
    14. Matthew Ruane
    15. Ryan O Donoghue
    16. Brendan Harrison
    17. Tommy Conroy
    18. David Drake
    19. Lee Keegan
    20. Shairoze Akram
    21. Rory Byrne
    22. Chris Barrett
    23. Brian Reape
    24. James Mc Cormack
    25. Shane Nally

Interesting to see Rory Byrne so high on the list

Looks like I'm buying the Indo on Thursday.:)

I'd say someone will provide the names

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Top 25 club footballers

1. Cillian O Connor
    2. Paddy Durcan
    3. Andy Moran
    4. Diarmuid O Connor
    5. Aidan O Shea
    6. Neil Douglas
    7. Jason Gibbons
    8. Padraig O Hora
    9. Kevin Mc Loughlin
    10. Fergal Boland
    11. Colm Boyle
    12. Michael Plunkett
    13. David Clarke
    14. Matthew Ruane
    15. Ryan O Donoghue
    16. Brendan Harrison
    17. Tommy Conroy
    18. David Drake
    19. Lee Keegan
    20. Shairoze Akram
    21. Rory Byrne
    22. Chris Barrett
    23. Brian Reape
    24. James Mc Cormack
    25. Shane Nally

Shows the disconnect between club and county. Players who are nailed on county players not making that list and then players such as Reape, Drake and Nally who despite being around the panel never quite grabbed the chance for whatever reason. Think it highlights that being a good club player doesn't always translate.to the inter county scene. Gibbons is the prime example of that.

Not surprised Padraig O Hora is in the top 10.

Always impresses me whenever I've seen him in club action.

Well worthy of his introduction into the senior panel this year.

km79 wrote: »
    Interesting to see Rory Byrne so high on the list

Oft thought he was worthy of greater opportunities to be in the mix for the number one jersey when David Clarke finally hangs up his boots.

Patrick O Malley is now the custodian for Roscommon and I'm unsure how Matthew Flanagan is faring out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Not surprised Padraig O Hora is in the top 10.

Always impresses me whenever I've seen him in club action.

Well worthy of his introduction into the senior panel this year.

If he delivers with the attitude he showed on the nut job programme then I can't wait to see what he does.

• Advertisement

If he delivers with the attitude he showed on the nut job programme then I can't wait to see what he does.

From the little bit we have seen off him at inter county level I fear he is too raw and loose in the tackle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭flasher0030

From the little bit we have seen off him at inter county level I fear he is too raw and loose in the tackle

Really?? Surely himself and Oisin Mullin were the 2 bright sparks for us in what was otherwise a dour league campaign. It's only his first season, I think. His first main season anyway.

I think you may be mixing up raw for determination and aggression; which I think is a great attribute. The tackling skills can be worked on over time with training.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_rHrLHIeyI&frags=pl%2Cwn

I actually agree with this assessment. Donie would have been able to coach that out of it. Our tackle discipline went downhill as the season progressed last year.

For O'Hora I put the rawness and looseness in the tackle down to the fact that pretty much until last year he kinda dipped in and out of football. He didn't even play with the Stephenites for the early stages of the league or championship in 2-019.

Really?? Surely himself and Oisin Mullin were the 2 bright sparks for us in what was otherwise a dour league campaign. It's only his first season, I think. His first main season anyway.

I think you may be mixing up raw for determination and aggression; which I think is a great attribute. The tackling skills can be worked on over time with training.
    The first thing to say is the sample size is very small for him at county level . So I hope and would love to be very wrong
    If he was younger and had a different intercounty coach I’d be more optimistic
    But he is 27 years old and our tackle ing in he real has gone down hill since Buckley left

O Hora is VERY loose in the tackle at that level. Lot of head high tackles. And that’s at league not championship pace
    I’d have serious doubts that can be coaches out of him at this stage

Anyone hazard a guess at this before it appears.

Here's my tips for the top 10

1. Lee Keegan
    2. Ciaran MacDonald
    3. Cillian O'Connor
    4. Aidan O'Shea
    5. James Nallen
    6. Colm Boyle
    7. Dermot Flanagan
    8. Keith Higgins
    9. Willie Joe Padden
    10. Andy Moran

The first thing to say is the sample size is very small for him at county level . So I hope and would love to be very wrong
    But he is 27 years old and our tackle ing in he real has gone down hill since Buckley left

O Hora is VERY loose in the tackle at that level. Lot of head high tackles. And that’s at league not championship pace

Our tackling is an area of great concern since Donie Buckley departed and I think the fact that Padraig O Hora is not the paciest of footballers is a significant contributory factor to his looseness in the tackle.

Hopefully with some improvement in our tackling as a collective I'd certainly be prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt at this stage in the infancy of his inter county career in spite of his age.

Buckley has been a serious loss to the inter county set up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭muddle84

1. Lee Keegan
    2. Ciaran MacDonald
    3. Cillian O'Connor
    4. Aidan O'Shea
    5. James Nallen
    6. Colm Boyle
    7. Dermot Flanagan
    8. Keith Higgins
    9. Willie Joe Padden
    10. Andy Moran

Hard to argue with the bulk of that, I would have Andy alot higher up the ranking and Keegan a little further down. I would also have Liam McHale in place of Flanagan. I can't listen to him or anything but on the pitch he is one of the best midfielders to ever play for us (imo)

I also think Aidan should be higher up the ranking than Cillian.

1. Lee Keegan
    2. Ciaran MacDonald
    3. Cillian O'Connor
    4. Aidan O'Shea
    5. James Nallen
    6. Colm Boyle
    7. Dermot Flanagan
    8. Keith Higgins
    9. Willie Joe Padden
    10. Andy Moran

Excellent list

Can't off the top of my head think of any worthy of inclusion but shall ponder same.

Can't argue with the top 2 but I'd have Zippy much higher,ditto Andy Moran.

Keith Higgins top 3 IMO.

• Advertisement

muddle84 wrote: »
    Hard to argue with the bulk of that, I would have Andy alot higher up the ranking and Keegan a little further down. I would also have Liam McHale in place of Flanagan. I can't listen to him or anything but on the pitch he is one of the best midfielders to ever play for us (imo)

I also think Aidan should be higher up the ranking than Cillian.

Liam has to be worthy of the top 10.He'd be in before Willie Joe too.

I'd agree Aidan should be higher than Cillian.

You could argue Vaughan was very loose as well when he came in but he was a serious player for us. It depends really where he is played and if he was on the half back line then he does not need to be as tight as in the corner. I wasn't aware he was 27 which would lead the question why he didn't make it before now. I thought he was around 23 or so.

You could argue Vaughan was very loose as well when he came in but he was a serious player for us. It depends really where he is played and if he was on the half back line then he does not need to be as tight as in the corner. I wasn't aware he was 27 which would lead the question why he didn't make it before now. I thought he was around 23 or so.

I already said earlier that O'Hora has dipped in and out of football. Dabbled with MMA for a short while. He is very much a free spirit.

Excellent list

Can't off the top of my head think of any worthy of inclusion but shall ponder same.

Can't argue with the top 2 but I'd have Zippy much higher,ditto Andy Moran.

Keith Higgins top 3 IMO.

TJ Kilgallon was another fine footballer who could easily move in.

Full list is 20 so I'd imagine all the names mentioned here will get in

Agreed.

He wouldn't make my top 10 though.:)

• Advertisement

Actual top 10:
    Keegan, McHale, Higgins, Nallen, Moran, MacDonald, Boyle, Clarke, Padden, O'Shea

Actual top 10:
    Keegan, McHale, Higgins, Nallen, Moran, MacDonald, Boyle, Clarke, Padden, O'Shea

Ya a good list although I am not totally sold on Padden. I think of some other guys like Kevin Cahill who was probably the best full back we have had in a long time, another Kenneth Mortimer who was excellent in the corner. One guy who had the raw talent but never got into the Mayo set up till later on was Kevin O'Neill. I can never understand why he never made serious in roads on the county scene as he had loads of talent.

I think overall Keegan and McDonald are the finest footballers to have worn the jersey.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Ya a good list although I am not totally sold on Padden. I think of some other guys like Kevin Cahill who was probably the best full back we have had in a long time, another Kenneth Mortimer who was excellent in the corner. One guy who had the raw talent but never got into the Mayo set up till later on was Kevin O'Neill. I can never understand why he never made serious in roads on the county scene as he had loads of talent.

I think overall Keegan and McDonald are the finest footballers to have worn the jersey.
    Kevin O’Neill had a bad knee injury which he never came back as good as he was (physically fit wise )

What a Player in his Hayday ! ! !

Totally agree Audioslaven.

Keegan would be top dog for me with Ciaran Mc numero deux.

Kenneth Mortimer would be a top 10 pick for me instead of Willie Joe.The finest corner back in the country when in his pomp.

TBF to Kevin O Neill who was a very gifted ciotog injuries I believe hindered his career.I am not sure managers had the necessary faith in him.

Did'nt he head off to the US at one stage?

For such a troubled position historically for Mayo the Ballagh man Kevin Cahill was probably the finest full back we had in modern times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

Actual top 10:

Maybe I'm out of touch but surprised to see Conor Mortimer not in there. He shot the lights out for consecutive years in the 2000s and was an excellent forward.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement