Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

things that used to be in waterford ya can remember

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭doctordon

OK!

I give up!

Who killed the thread?? :mad:

Memories please.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Mr Tibbs

doctordon wrote: »
    OK!

I give up!

Who killed the thread?? :mad:

Memories please.

OK this wont be a pleasant one for you being an X Mount Sion lad but do you remember Bro Duggan the principal. A Tipperary bastard if ever there was one.
    When I hear the word sadist I always think of him.

Mr Tibbs wrote: »
    OK this wont be a pleasant one for you being an X Mount Sion lad but do you remember Bro Duggan the principal. A Tipperary bastard if ever there was one.
    When I hear the word sadist I always think of him.
    The Duke - with eyes in the back of his head! Remember him (?) - I was terrified of him! Remember Jim Lusby? He was a very young lay teacher. Always wore a cravat, but, because he was still a teenager, he was respected. He became a pretty successful writer.
    http://www.twbooks.co.uk/authors/jimlusby.html

The Duke - Remember Jim Lusby? He was a very young lay teacher. Always wore a cravat, but, because he was still a teenager, he was respected. He became a pretty successful writer.
    http://www.twbooks.co.uk/authors/jimlusby.html

Jim had one of his crime novels made into a series by RTE a few years ago. Making The Cut was the title and it was actually shot around Waterford. What part of town was he originally from, I always thought he was from Morley Tce. but I'm not really sure.
    Jasus I forgot we called Duggan the Duke. He used to revel in that name thinking it was after John Wayne. John Wayne with a cane would be more apt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Anyone remember Lonergan's Bakery on Bridge Street. I think the family lived on the Cork Rd. Their bread was gorgeous.

Was that also called the Greenbank bakery?

• Advertisement

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    Was that also called the Greenbank bakery?

No The Green Bank was a confectionery shop. Lonergan's Bakery was up above the Dominican Presbytery. This would have been in the mid to late 60's. They used to make gorgeous Blaa's.

Jim had one of his crime novels made into a series by RTE a few years ago. Making The Cut was the title and it was actually shot around Waterford. What part of town was he originally from, I always thought he was from Morley Tce. but I'm not really sure.
    Jasus I forgot we called Duggan the Duke. He used to revel in that name thinking it was after John Wayne. John Wayne with a cane would be more apt.
    Yes, I remember watching that. Although I never heard of the Duke using it, he had a "leather" with 3 metal studs in it! Scary man!

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭chainsawman

Help me, Know the Polish shop on the corner in Ballybricken, few doors from Dr Liam McCann . That shop used to be a pub ,What was that pub name years ago ? Thanks in advance.

I was a mount sion resident too from 1960 to 1974, Along the famous families , the Greens, and the Walshes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Help me, Know the Polish shop on the corner in Ballybricken, few doors from Dr Liam McCann . That shop used to be a pub ,What was that pub name years ago ? Thanks in advance.

I think it was called Mackeys

I was a mount sion resident too from 1960 to 1974, Along the famous families , the Greens, and the Walshes.

And so was I many years ago also from 1960 but I went to the Tech in 1969. Couldn't wait to get out of it now I find I cant forget the place.

shockwave wrote: »
    I think it was called Mackeys

Many Thanks... I remembered that name at last. Was bothering my mind since last week. I can sleep easy now.:)

I know this has probably being already mentioned but does anyone remember Mockey Dower?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Superquinn

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

kryogen wrote: »
    Superquinn

Ah, I remember it like it was only yesterday!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Utd500

Does anyone have a copy of 50/50 Book

I remember years ago people used to have little red books and when they go and buy a loaf of bread, the shopkeeper would write something into it.

Does anyone know what was that about?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Probably had an account there and was paying off a few bob every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Martin_D

I remember years ago people used to have little red books and when they go and buy a loaf of bread, the shopkeeper would write something into it.

That was the first ever Loyalty Card - you got a discount at intervals during the year based on purchases made - remember Walshes Bakery on Ballybricken and GoldCrust Bakery had them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Guramoogah

Ration Books. A relic of WWII, they were still in use in Ireland until the early 1950s

Any one remember Jed and the Southern Express

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

That video library /taxi shop near Mount Sion school with the blue door.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭waterford

Jed and the Southern Express
    a Dublin band whom were based in Waterford
    in 1970's playing the local pubs scene
    super group heard them in Minnies Abbeyside

The Southern Express band happy days

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

That 2D scrolling helicopter game in the arcade where Supermacs is now.

fiachr_a wrote: »

I think that was called The Savoy. I remember going in there and playing Ghost n' Goblins and Wonder Boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ive1

fiachr_a wrote: »

"Choplifter" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I just read 70 pages of memories .... lots of them familiar to me.
    Great thread.

Of particular note

Alice and her two sisters in the Park Shop ..... DLS students were told they were barred from that shop at one time, which caused a huge ruckus. I recall deliberately standing outside so I would be seen by the Headmaster when he checked, to see if he would attempt to follow up on his threat of expulsion if 'found on'. He didn't.

The Penitentary on Hennessy's Road at the bottom of Roanmore Park. I recall the cells in the basement (or dungeon as we called it). Rumours had it there was some form of underground passage from it possibly up to the barracks.

The two barracks .... Military barracks and Infantry Barracks I think.

Swimming in the Majestic after work on Friday evening, and then on the beer, ending up in the 'Hi B' ... circa 1973

Kilkenny Beer festival 1973/74 - not sure. Great weekend!

Adelphia Hotel and Imperial Hotel (which later became the old Tower). The new Tower encompasses both I think.

Fairs on Ballybricken with cattle roaming about.

The 'changing boxes' on Tramore beach.

The Great Western going up and down river past Woodstown & Passage East.

Jackie Kennedy (later Onasis) out horse riding in Woodstown ... 1967 I think. Those were the days of huge traffic jams in Woodstown and the first appearance of No Parking signs there.

The 'big freeze' around 1963 when Kilbarry bog was frozen over solid (as was most other places). Lots of 'ice skating' done that year.

The tennis club off Canon Street (Presentation Row?) .... I guess that has gone now.

Single woodbine and match from Mrs Tobin at the bottom of Roanmore Park. She had a daughter Mary as I recall.
    Also a 3 pack of Woodbines for when you were flush!

A few pubs ....
    The Reginald .... had my last piss-up there before I left Waterford .... 1974/5
    Kiwi Patricks St.
    The Candlelight Dunmore
    Joe O'Shea's Tramore.
    Jordan's, The Quay.
    Jimmy Alywards and bagatelle
    Ostman and live music
    Downes & Howard .... pint of milk there to start the evenings drinking and maybe a pickled egg.

Br. Placidus (known as Jonah) ..... brilliant maths teacher ... BUT ...... a sadist and an unhealthy interest in young boys.

The cobbler on Patrick's St. just below the DLS entrance. He had a small shop there. The guy was dumb but seemed to manage quite well. A pleasant guy as I recall, but a bit overpowering at first.

Cinemas - Regina, Regal, Savoy and Col ...... a few of us used to go to the Savoy café once a week for treat ...... sausage & eggs and a glass of port :D:D

Olympia 'ballroom' ..... and the fights there
    St. John's youth club in the Temperance Hall ..... live music - local bands got there chance there.

My father had a 'plot' at the top of Hennessy's Road/Matties Hill.

CIE deliveries on Horse drawn wagons. I greatly admired those animals.

Farmer Whittle bringing his cows in from Kings Meadow(? gate to field on Hennessy's Road opposite flat roofed houses) to be milked at the bottom of Blake's Lane ..... and a beautiful large Pyrenean Mountain dog in the yard. His bark was the loudest thing ever!

Waterford Crystal in Johnstown. I later worked for Jones builders during construction of the Kilbarry factory ... ~ 1970?

Johnny 40 coats; Billy Butts; Ankle Socks; Huey
    I worked on the quays in 69 and used to meet Huey (Walter Huet) now and again, and of course Ankle Socks became known to me (by reputation I might add) :D

Jordan's pub where the dock workers used to go for their regular 'breaks'. That must have been before they went on prolonged strike :D

Driving across the Fiddown Bridge on the way home ..... and paying the toll, then wondering if the rattling wooden planks were going to hold up.

Memory lane is rather long these days .......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭dunphy3

to lyracumpane thanks from dunphy3

Advertisement