Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stallions

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Any idea why Coolmore have yet to announce their NH fees for 2014 yet?

Still not up apart from one or two :confused:

Edit: Just found this article. They announced last years on the 21st of December

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Not sure Colonel. Didn't realise Intello was standing at Cheveley. Not man French Derby winners stand in the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

Kings Theatre died in 2011.

Dylan Thomas cut to 5k and joins Coolmore NH, good move I think

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭bellybuster12

I know this will not be a popular opinion but could sea the stars turn out to be a NH stallion?

• Advertisement

I know this will not be a popular opinion but could sea the stars turn out to be a NH stallion?

Maybe, his Sadlers Wells half brother Black Sam Bellamy is a mostly national hunt ad the family is full of stamina despite its sheer class. Just because he won a Guineas doesn't mean he will be a precocious stallion, Golan was a Guineas winner. His Invincible Spirit half brother Born to Sea is going as a NH. He got so many stoutly bred mares it's inevitable some will end up running over hurdles but it would be a massive disappointment to see him advertised strictly as a NH stallion I doubt that would happen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,217 ✭✭✭Robson99

UrbanSea wrote: »
    Dylan Thomas cut to 5k and joins Coolmore NH, good move I think

Do you think he will be successful as a NH stallion?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

Maybe, his Sadlers Wells half brother Black Sam Bellamy is a mostly national hunt ad the family is full of stamina despite its sheer class. Just because he won a Guineas doesn't mean he will be a precocious stallion, Golan was a Guineas winner. His Invincible Spirit half brother Born to Sea is going as a NH. He got so many stoutly bred mares it's inevitable some will end up running over hurdles but it would be a massive disappointment to see him advertised strictly as a NH stallion I doubt that would happen
    Sea The Stars is a strange prospect. Genetically he should be transmitting speed as his stock are showing fairly high dosage indexes, and he himself is way more speedily bred than his half brother Galileo.

Sea The Stars was a decent 2 yo, so there's no reason that his stock should have been so poor as two year olds. Having said that, My Titania has shown more as a 2yo than any of Galileo's first crop did at the same age.

The thing is, Sea The Stars has had the best mares from the off whereas Galileo had to earn his way to the top.

There's still no sign of his 3yo Zarkava colt Zerkash hitting the track. A colt with practically a sprinter's DI of 3.00 despite being out of two Arc winners and having another Arc winner as his Grand Dam. It kinda shows how tricky it will be for Sea The Stars the Stallion to match Sea The Stars the horse.

Agree with all points made lads. IMO I think it might be the case in 4/5 years he will be standing as a NH sire(hope i'm wrong). From the book of mare's he got/covering fee's/foal prices/yearling prices he has been a major let down. It's still early days but i fear the worst.

Along with fact that sea the stars was a handfull to manage himself(apparently quiet difficult to handle, temperamental issues would be a concern in his progeny and could be precocious issues leading to progeny needing time and a trip(some of which i have seen look like they needed alot futher).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Panrich

Agree with all points made lads. IMO I think it might be the case in 4/5 years he will be standing as a NH sire(hope i'm wrong). From the book of mare's he got/covering fee's/foal prices/yearling prices he has been a major let down. It's still early days but i fear the worst.

Along with fact that sea the stars was a handfull to manage himself(apparently quiet difficult to handle, temperamental issues would be a concern in his progeny and could be precocious issues leading to progeny needing time and a trip(some of which i have seen look like they needed alot futher).

That's surprising to hear as his temperament on the racecourse was exemplary though. He always looked the picture of composure. Never turned a hair or sweated up to my recollection (Arc he may have been a bit overcooked and ran a bit free though).

• Advertisement

Never ever heard Sea the Stars was a handful before. At the track he was unflappable. Born to Sea is not standing NH. STS may end up there sooner rather than later if his progeny don't get a move on.

For some reason had it in my head BTS was down as a national hunt. Intello to Cheveley Park, few French Derby winners end up this side of the Ebglish channel

I found this hard to believe myself but he was not easy handle day to day apparently, reliable informed that he would easily turn on you(in a bad way) or take a chunk out of you.

BTS could turn out a better sire but would really like STS to do well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

Will we see Canford Cliffs first batch this year? remember hearing a while back some nice looking foals were fetching crazy money

Robson99 wrote: »
    Do you think he will be successful as a NH stallion?

Have said for two years I'd love to see him as a NH. He is getting some nice hurdlers, could see him doing well. I had heard he was getting some NH mares even while listed as flat

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭ronsh2000

That's the first time I've ever seen a negative comment about Sea The Star's temperament - I'd take it with a pinch of salt. I've seen a lot of favourable comments from trainers about his progeny's temperaments: they seem to be invariably easy to train. Trainers and owners seem to be keen enough to get their hands on more of them as well judging by STS's sales figures last year. He had twelve 2-Y-O winners worldwide last year; he's had ten 3-Y-O winners already this year, including promising types like Munjas, Hadaatha and Stars So Bright. There's also a couple of very nice looking ones in France who've come in. At this stage he looks very promising to me as a sire.

Taking into account the quality of mare he got and fee they were produced at unless he produces a few group winners this year or a classic winner the market will drop him like a hot potato He is clearly not a sire of 2 year olds (not surprisingly) so he better be a sire of champion 3 year olds.

It looks like the horses are doing the talking for him.

Think 18th winner of the year or something. They are coming along very, very nicely

Paul Hanagan, rider of Taghrooda (current Epsom Oaks favourite): "She is by Sea The Stars and every Sea The Stars I’ve ridden has been very laid back and has a great temperament. You have to have that temperament to handle the big days and she is so relaxed. So with Epsom in mind, that’s a big plus."

• Advertisement

She is an extremely well bred filly. She must have been very laid back in her work that she went off 20/1 on debut

ronsh2000 wrote: »
    It looks like the horses are doing the talking for him.

At 85k a pop they need to talk a bit faster. He needs that oaks fav to go in for him. Looks like his fillies are better than the colts. If you where to compare him with the likes of thewayyouare (smaller crop, lower quality mares)who stood for 4k in his first year and whose first crop are 3, like sea the stars, than you'd have to say he has a bit to make up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

Huntthe wrote: »
    At 85k a pop they need to talk a bit faster. He needs that oaks fav to go in for him. Looks like his fillies are better than the colts. If you where to compare him with the likes of thewayyouare (smaller crop, lower quality mares)who stood for 4k in his first year and whose first crop are 3, like sea the stars, than you'd have to say he has a bit to make up.
    I wouldn't bet the bank on that Taghrooda. Even though there were some decent types in behind on Sunday the time was quite poor. The slowest time of the day and slower than the 3yo winner of the following handicap race over the same distance.

Actually I posted my comment before Taghrooda won the Pretty Polly and became Oaks favourite. I was basing it on all the excellent performances in the days before that by the likes of Sopran Nicolo (probable Italian Derby favourite now after his 13-length win), Vasira (Group Three winner in Longchamp), Shamkira (Prix Du Jockey Club contender after an eight-length saunter in a Saint-Cloud maiden), Behesht etc. Not to mention his only 2-Y-O so far hacking up at odds-on over 5F in France, or all the other promising performances by his progeny over the previous few weeks, or the fact that, with a bit more luck, My Titania might have already given him his first Classic success.

IMO that is liberal usage of the word "excellent". The first classics have been run and from a stellar book of mares his highest rated progeny is 108.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭NewApproach

tryfix wrote: »
    I wouldn't bet the bank on that Taghrooda. Even though there were some decent types in behind on Sunday the time was quite poor. The slowest time of the day and slower than the 3yo winner of the following handicap race over the same distance.

They crawled early, splits from halfway were encouraging.

IMO that is liberal usage of the word "excellent". The first classics have been run and from a stellar book of mares his highest rated progeny is 108.

In the interests of balance, he is obviously a stamina influence and no one would expect his produce to be any way precocious. Bear in mind that we haven't even had the Derby trials yet, so there have only been a handful of pattern races in excess of a mile in which they can prove themselves.

Bit of a surprise but that filly of his won the Listed race at Chester

Bit of a surprise but that filly of his won the Listed race at Chester

It was an unsatisfactory race though, the favourite didn't perform and Buick only rode his filly to beat the O'Brien horse. Race was essentially over two out.

• Advertisement

It was an unsatisfactory race though, the favourite didn't perform and Buick only rode his filly to beat the O'Brien horse. Race was essentially over two out.

It won't read like that on her page

Advertisement