Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone get rid rid of all their social media?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,438 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I used to post a bit on Instagram but stopped a while ago. A former friend on it portrays herself as a warm, kind, empathetic person but when I needed her help during a difficult spell in my life she treated me like trash. As others have said, it's the domain of the narcissist.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭brevity

Don’t use Facebook and deleted my Instagram app. Only use twitter from the browser and only allowed to use it for an hour a day.

I used to be a lot worse. Had to pack it in as it was making me miserable and bitter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

I used to post a bit on Instagram but stopped a while ago. A former friend on it portrays herself as a warm, kind, empathetic person but when I needed her help during a difficult spell in my life she treated me like trash. As others have said, it's the domain of the narcissist.

I said this on another thread that insta is like flypaper to narcissists, it's a bit sad really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I use FB and have really tightened up my profile and friends list. Ill probably keep it.
    The only other thing I use is What-app, its very handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

I have FB on iPad only, and only access it when at home.

Twitter is on iPad and MacBook, tend not to engage on twitter, pointless arguing with people who only want to argue, they never listen to your opinion and are unlikely to be open minded enough to consider they might be incorrect in their thinking/logic.

Dont have insta or the other social media.

Have boards on my phone only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I deleted Facebook and Snapchat.

I still have the rest - Messenger, Instagram, WhatsApp, Twitter, Reddit, Linkedin.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,438 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Your Face wrote: »
    I use FB and have really tightened up my profile and friends list. Ill probably keep it.
    The only other thing I use is What-app, its very handy.

Whatsapp is great once you don't get sucked in to too many group chats, they can be a pain in the hole. I'm in a work one that was initially suppose to be about rotas but has descended into people whinging about everything and asking questions at all hours. Much happier now I've muted it and don't look at it outside work hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

What do people get out of these social media things?
    I have WhatsApp that’s all I need.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,379 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I have no idea why people consider WhatsApp social media?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Dial Hard wrote: »

No idea at all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,957 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Honestly I'd love to but it's central to my job social media is. Facebook is essentially for businesses to market on now, it's still the biggest platform but the younger generation are abandoning it for Instagram. Instagram is ten times worse than the poser posts that were on Facebook. Influencer's are the biggest cancer to the online world, I say that as someone who uses them for business gain. You have people living a lifestyle on it that isn't reality and it's effecting the people looking at it.

All I have ever enjoyed on it is seen pictures of my family members living away or I don't see much.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,379 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

No idea at all?

No. It's a messaging app. It's no more a social media platform than SMS was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

No idea at all?

It's not social media.

It's the ability to send or receive messages directly sent to you by contacts in your phone. There are no walls, you're not scrolling through mindless inane drivel others have posted, or through product promos, or advertisements.

It's a beefed up SMS/MMS service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Dial Hard wrote: »

It becomes a type of social media when others can add you to groups without your consent an then you can't leave without informing all others in the group you've left

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Got rid of FB for personal stuff and manage Twitter feed for non-personal stuff. Never saw any need to get into others, especially the vacuous narcissism of Instagram.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

is_that_so wrote: »
    Got rid of FB for personal stuff and manage Twitter feed for non-personal stuff. Never saw any need to get into others, especially the vacuous narcissism of Instagram.

It depends who you're following though. I've no time for people like that so I wouldn't be following them in the first place. I love Instagram but I follow real life friends and interesting feeds, not young ones pulling duck faces. I can't stand Twitter and would nuke it in the morning if I could. I think it, of all the social media platforms, has done the most damage.

I find Facebook a really good way of staying in touch with family and friends who live away. I'm in a few groups which I like but again, they're not contentious sorts of ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Boards is the only social media platform I've ever used, life's too short for the rest

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

The social aspect of Boards is optional tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

A dangerous side effect of this mental health exposure of late is the use of social media as a platform for, albeit well-meaning, downright false slogans. Such as "Its ok not to be ok", which would be better changed as "Its ok not to be ok, but its not ok to do nothing about it".
    Or the classic "Talk to someone, problem solved". This one is very dangerous. Only a few people are qualified to understand your issues, most people don't know what to say or don't care. A better slogan is "Talk to someone qualified about your mental health issues. If you don't click, keep looking over and over again until you find someone you gel with". Reducing mental health issues to snappy and lazy slogans does more harm than good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭AllForIt

The straw that broke the camels back was, and I was only ever on FB, was my brother got into the habit of posting 'missing persons' news reports to his feed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

I can't stand Twitter and would nuke it in the morning if I could. I think it, of all the social media platforms, has done the most damage.

Many incredibly smart and insightful people use Twitter, and fantastic discussions evolve there all the time. Sure, others use it for nonstop hysterical yelling about Trump, Brexit, climate change, etc., but if you follow (and interact with) thought leaders in your field, and create curated lists for topics that interest you, Twitter can be a powerful and useful tool. I know two people who landed jobs because of contacts they made on Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

Left all that dredge far, far behind me.

It's nothing. In fact it's worse than nothing, because it soaks up time that you could otherwise spend doing something genuinely enjoyable or useful.

Then there's the shopping list of negative aspects, bullying, narcissism, peer pressure, platforms for pure thought-poison from freaks, societal manipulation...

Some bloke on here the other day threatened to put me "on ignore". Like, I don't give a flying fuuuk what some randomer does even on boards. It's mental that people think this stuff is somehow important.

For me it is quite literally a time filler, something to do while waiting. What am I even doing writing this message?! It's like speaking into a black void for no damned reason :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

Iv never had facebook or Instagram so for me maybe it's a case of what I never had I never missed. Lots of people have encouraged me to join and are shocked when i tell them i dont have an account. Iv just always looked at it as a little bit intrusive and really not for me though. An awful lot of it seems to be competitive and fake so iv no interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

And to add, there's all the privacy and data protection concerns with these rat-faced Internet companies. If you can't see what the product is, then you are the product. I don't understand how people are happy to have their personal lives traded for money. It's all mad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,684 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

WhatsApp as I'm in a group chat with me 5 best mates.
    Fcuk social media. Absolute shyte.
    Cept boards. Boards is awesome.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Panthro wrote: »
    WhatsApp as I'm in a group chat with me 5 best mates.
    Fcuk social media. Absolute shyte.
    Cept boards. Boards is awesome.

Boards.ie and Watts app are my only access to social media.

I learn a lot on board's and there's great discussion.

If anyone doesn't agree with my opinion or takes a few shots at me, it doesn't mean I have to dislike them or their response.

There's day's I might say something out of order, someone will point it out call me something or other, another day same person will thank a post or agree with me.

Thats what I like about boards there's nothing personal...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

I just got rid of my phone

• Registered Users Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭donegal_man

I use Facebook to keep in touch with family and friends in distant places. Always ignore 'people you may know' and requests from strangers. Follow a few twitter feeds from reputable news organisations but never comment or retweet. Like everything else social media is a tool that can be a positive or negative in your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,357 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I agree with 2 posts earlier in the thread
    1. I never had much problem with social media
    2 . Go through your friends on these and cull people you don't actually know personally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Low Energy Eng

I deleted fb 8 years ago (hard to believe actually). First few weeks of deleting I would log back on, only to be reassured I wasn't missing anything. Delete again.
    Eventually, probably 6 months into it I just never logged back on. Thinking about it, it was clearly an addiction. Best thing I ever did. Frees up so much time... to read other worthless stuff on the internet lol

Advertisement