Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone get rid rid of all their social media?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

Don't know is there much worse then the people who go to a music or sporting event and spend half the time recording it on their phone for snapchat.

Same thing happens on nights out, about 10 snaps of a person drinking or dancing.

I was on snapchat for 3 or 4 months before I realised how sad it all is, attention seeking, validation nonsense.

People now are afraid to actually enjoy an experience, they feel like they have to take numerous videos and pictures of the experience to show people they enjoyed it.

And instagram which has turned into an app where people take selfies of their face or arse for likes and act like they are providing a service. Typical comments from the girls such as - "stunning girl". And then thirsty lads drooling at it.

I knew a girl before and I'd say her grandad wasn't dead 10 minutes before she was on telling people on facebook and instagram how much she loved him. Bearing in mind a lot of these people would be people she had never met or people she had met once. Is that what it has come to? Using death in the never ending search for likes?

You seem to have the head on straight if you're thinking like that OP. Get rid of them all and you'll be a lot happier.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

pinkyeye wrote: »
    Why do people consider WhatsApp social media??

It's just a free text app surely??

I think it's brilliant. You can text whoever you like from wherever in the world they are for free??

YEs, I would not consider it social media at all.
    Exactly as you say, a free text/call app and very useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Mokuba wrote: »
    Don't know is there much worse then the people who go to a music or sporting event and spend half the time recording it on their phone for snapchat.

Same thing happens on nights out, about 10 snaps of a person drinking or dancing.

I was on snapchat for 3 or 4 months before I realised how sad it all is, attention seeking, validation nonsense.

People now are afraid to actually enjoy an experience, they feel like they have to take numerous videos and pictures of the experience to show people they enjoyed it.

And instagram which has turned into an app where people take selfies of their face or arse for likes and act like they are providing a service. Typical comments from the girls such as - "stunning girl". And then thirsty lads drooling at it.

I knew a girl before and I'd say her grandad wasn't dead 10 minutes before she was on telling people on facebook and instagram how much she loved him. Bearing in mind a lot of these people would be people she had never met or people she had met once. Is that what it has come to? Using death in the never ending search for likes?

You seem to have the head on straight if you're thinking like that OP. Get rid of them all and you'll be a lot happier.

I have noticed idiots filming at funerals, wtf is that about ???

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Yes I have. I'm typing this from my trusty old Remington Typewriter this morning ...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,810 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

do companies really create free services?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

It's not free, you are giving away your privacy. You are giving up lots of information which they gather to sell on to others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

It's not free, you are giving away your privacy. You are giving up lots of information which they gather to sell on to others.

Instead of WhatsApp, just switch to Signal. It's a free, open-source app that does much the same job and does not collect data on its users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Instead of WhatsApp, just switch to Signal. It's a free, open-source app that does much the same job and does not collect data on its users.

I have Signal but don't have many contacts using it. When I dropped WhatsApp I went all in on Telegram as I have lots of contacts using it, I'm in a few groups and use Telegram bots for some stuff I run online.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

pinkyeye wrote: »
    Why do people consider WhatsApp social media??

It's just a free text app surely??

I'd say mainly because of the group chat feature - many whatsapp groups were probably previously facebook groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I hear Donald Trump plans to livetweet his own funeral.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,824 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    I hear Donald Trump plans to livetweet his own funeral.

Tomorrow hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

The only platform I use regularly are forums. And while I do have a Facebook, Twitter account and such those accounts only exist for competitions. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Pineapple1

BetsyEllen wrote:
    The only celebrities I follow are ones who genuinely inspire me such as Rozanna Purcell, in fact she may be the only celeb I follow full stop.

I find that funny that you mention her. I feel the complete opposite about her and think she is the 'type' of one on Instagram who would melt the head off you, she melted my head anyways. I used to follow her all the time and watch all of her Instagram Stories...but that was the thing that led me to having to mute her stories, and then unfollow her altogether. IMO she was just too much with the stories, absolute bore-fest of a woman and a complete mé féiner. I actually noticed my mood lifting a small bit after a few days of not being one of her followers. Was listening to one of the 2 Johnnies podcasts the other week with her on it and thought I'd be able for her. But no..literally cannot bear to see or hear that woman.

Advertisement