Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone get rid rid of all their social media?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Wibbs wrote: »

I have an Arsebook account. I think. Haven't clicked into it in years. Still get the emails and "friend" suggestions, which given I'm at super sekrit settings has me wondering. Seems it's mostly people searching for my name, which can be interesting. .

definitely some kind of location tracking or listening in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I'd get rid of boards except that I think my ramblings are important and you should be subject to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

I'd get rid of boards except that I think my ramblings are important and you should be subject to them.
    If you go whose posts can we **** over

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Social media is great for secretly sneering at people...

'Oh ffs Larry is jogging again the fat bastard'.

'Karen is using her new baby as a prop again the narcissistic bitch'

... and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

No

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Not really. I find FB useful for keeping tabs on friends and family. Like anybody, a large proportion of my friend list are unsolicited people that are connected to you through stuff like sport, work and school that you don't want to offend by refusing but I just make heavy use of the groups feature so only a small percentage of my contacts see what I post. For example, I have a Work group that contains workmates so they see very little of what I post. I also have a specific group of friends to whom I share family pics etc. I then unfollow a large proportion of my friend list so I'm quite happy with what I see. It's a social media platform so I actually like seeing trival social updates about the friends and family with whom I wish to interact.

I personally think there's noting sadder than allowing your feed to populated by people you don't actually like. Doubly so to actually bothering sneering about them and telling others about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bigboldworld

Not yet but I’m planning to do so, some of the narcissism on display is stomach churning so yes fb etc isn’t for me anymore and will be unplugging from the matrix soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Haven't fully gotten rid of facebook but don't go on it as much. The final straw for me.was when someone started posting status updates of their dad's condition when he was dying. I've done a clear out on it. Have restricted some feeds (just save myself the hassle of someone getting offended if I delete them) I mainly use it now to keep update on what's on in my locality like gym classes the local sports club.
    Have a twitter account but don't have the app on my phone will only use it a few times a month like yesterday to see the melt down after the rubgy or when room to improve is on
    Intsa will be gone after my wedding. Mostly follow pages to get ideas for flowers etc.
    I'd rather buy a newspaper to keep up to date with what's going on in the world even buy my local newspaper. Old school I know. The weekend addition of papers give me more than enough info than I need on the latest infulancer than following their daily installments stories

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Edgware wrote: »
    If you go whose posts can we **** over

There's being funny and bring krass. You fall into the latter category!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

bluewolf wrote: »
    definitely some kind of location tracking or listening in
    Well ahead of you B..

conspiracy-theorist-tinfoil-hat.jpg

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Wibbs wrote: »
    Well ahead of you B..

conspiracy-theorist-tinfoil-hat.jpg

I've always wondered the algorithm behind it, it can be downright creepy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

The only social media site I have an account on is Facebook. And even then its rarely updated. Other then photos I've been tagged it, 2015 was my last upload / post. I mainly just use messenger on the phone.

I'm 26 so most my peers find it mad that I'm not on snapchst, instagram etc.
    Its not that I have anything else social media, I just don't find it fun or engaging in the slightest.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I've always wondered the algorithm behind it, it can be downright creepy
    Seems to be pretty straightforward from what I can see A. Friends of existing friends in your feed and people who search for your name on the site.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

i'd say fb picked one of my latest suggestions from starting to talk to the person on whatsapp

the instagram ads are what's creepy.
    you have a conversation with someone at coffee, leave the phone behind, but get back to it and there's ads for what ye were talking about.
    i don't know if that's worse than the phones actually listening or not

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

bluewolf wrote: »
    i'd say fb picked one of my latest suggestions from starting to talk to the person on whatsapp

the instagram ads are what's creepy.
    you have a conversation with someone at coffee, leave the phone behind, but get back to it and there's ads for what ye were talking about.
    i don't know if that's worse than the phones actually listening or not

Try disabling permission for microphone for Instagram and Facebook

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Bleh, it's what you make it.

I can see how it would mess up kids who've known nothing else all right, but for us older folks it's just another communication/sharing tool. Also it's harder for younger folks to grasp that much of the perfect Instagram posts can be a veneer. They are literally just a snapshot. They aren't a depiction of 24 hours a day in that person's life. That sh1t is hard for a young person and I certainly am glad that social media didn't become a regular thing until I was already in my 20s.

As said, there is loads of tailoring you can do to your Facebook account. I just use it for having a laugh and for following music pages. I don't follow any news pages.

I only use Twitter for TV show discussions and breaking news - and straight to the link, no reading of comments.

And Instagram for really high quality photography (along with friends of course - some of whom take beautiful shots).

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I've been on FB since 2007 when one of my best friends was travelling the world and used it to keep in touch. A lot of people seem to have joined up on FB around that time...

Now I try to limit my time and posts on FB and I know for sure when I was in a very bad place five years ago with crippling anxiety, the aftermath of my Dad's death and struggling with the demon of alcohol dependency and generally going nowhere, it wasn't heartening to see people on FB parading their apparently perfect happy shiny lives and careers for me to compare mine to...

Did a big cull of FB "friends" that I didn't know or care for and that really helped, to have less attention-seeking narcissism crowding out my FB daily feed.

A number of friends - real life ones - have closed their FB accounts in the past 5 years. They did so to get away from the distracting nonsense and for a much needed "digital detox." At some point I may well do likewise, but will keep my FB account in place for now.

Never joined Instagram, Snapchat or Twitter and never intend to.

Facebook does have its uses - keeping in touch with family, relations and friends in distant places and reconnecting with old acquaintances. But the endless updates on the banality of others' lives is just rubbish we could all do without.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

I deleted FB for about a year because I disappeared from my previous life an wanted to get away from it all but I rejoined about a year ago just to keep up to date with family.

But I have to admit it was a lifesaver when my dog went missing, I sent a message to the local community FB page and they immediately sent me a message from someone local who had found my dog.

So all in all I'd say it's definitely worth it for that alone.

You just have to learn to ignore the crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

Why do people consider WhatsApp social media??

It's just a free text app surely??

I think it's brilliant. You can text whoever you like from wherever in the world they are for free??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

pinkyeye wrote: »

It's just a free text app surely??

I think it's brilliant. You can text whoever you like from wherever in the world they are for free??

It does groups which is something beyond normal text messaging. And then others can add you to any group without your approval and you cannot leave that group without informing the group that you have left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,809 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

pinkyeye wrote:

Its not free, if it sounds too good to be true.....

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Its not free, if it sounds too good to be true.....

If it's free you are the product

I’ve never paid anything for it anyway. Well, apart from my mobile data plan but if you’re sending SMS messages on a locked down Nokia from the 1990’s you’re still paying for a plan of some kind.

Just because you haven't paid anything doesn't make it free. If it's free you are the product. They are making money selling on all the information that are gathering from you
    https://lifehacker.com/stop-using-whatsapp-if-you-care-about-your-privacy-1825719172

• Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Jaysus, reading this thread just makes me realise how addicted I am to social media :-( I’m your person who scrolls mindlessly for ages and have been thinking about it a lot recently, some changes have to be made. It’s not like I’m in my early 20s either, I’m 34!!!

If most people are honest I'd say they're addicted to social media or their phone. Apps are designed to be addictive.

I barely let it out of my hands, it’s just instinct to have it with me all the time practically. I’m looking forward to changing that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,809 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

leahyl wrote: »
    I barely let it out of my hands, it’s just instinct to have it with me all the time practically. I’m looking forward to changing that though.

addicted to my phone also, i make sure to turn it off regularly, boards is effectively the only social media i do, ive never used other platforms, phones are lethal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Never have instagram or snapchat, only facebook and twitter. Ditched twitter months ago due to the 99% bile that seems to make up its content, with everything always descending into nasty slagging matches. Didnt miss it for one second, and have no intention to go back.
    Only keep facebook to keep in touch with some people abroad and some groups I like, but otherwise I'd ditch that too.
    Down to only 2 whatsapp groups.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    addicted to my phone also, i make sure to turn it off regularly, boards is effectively the only social media i do, ive never used other platforms, phones are lethal

I never actually turn off the phone! Well, I did a few months back for a few weeks where I turned it off at night while charging, but now back to charging it while it’s on. It’s next to my bed too. I’m not that bad that I’m checking it during the night or anything (lol) but it shouldn’t be next to my bed really...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,924 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

pinkyeye wrote: »

I don't think most people do. I reckon there are far more people who use it, because it's free texts.

Personally, I have a pay as you go phone and I'll use WhatApp so as not to eat into my credit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Got rid of facebook years ago, deactivated my account and blocked any emails asking me to re login, glad I never uploaded much photos to the site it really is a cancer.

Instagram I took one look at once and thought "no fecking thanks" - plus they own all your photos once you upload them, you lose all rights.

I still have twitter, it's anonymous and I use it for following astronomy/science related accounts, some football humour ones too - I stay the f*ck away from politics there, real cesspit.

Advertisement