Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2019 French Open

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,736 ✭✭✭Floppybits

5-5 now. The tension in this set is unreal.

Did Edmund retire?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Dirkziggler

Floppybits wrote: »
    Did Edmund retire?

Yeah 2 0 down

Think Vikas race is ran here.

The standard of this game is actually really bad

What shenanigans is going on here?

What shenanigans is going on here?

She took a toilet which was then a. mTO with out informing

Vika missing BP after BP here she is gonna get smashed this set I think

Vika is at self implosion stage so time to switch off.

• Advertisement

Well that was a disappointing end to the Vika/Osaka match. Had a feeling that Osaka would win the match when she won the second set. Vika had her chances in the second set and there was one game that had 10 or so dueces that I felt if she had won that she would have won the match.

Osaka though could step it up when she needed too. She put pressure on Vika's second serve by stepping up in the court, this seen Vika double fault twice a crucial stages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I wouldnt be so harsh on Azarenka there. Osaka really stepped it up that third set, serve went up a gear and nothing much Vika could do about that. Only quibble for Osaka at 5-1 and 30-0 she had a simple cross court shot for 40-0 and 3 mps, but goes straight down line where Vika is standing instead, loses point, gets broken and 15 minutes later when she should be starting her press conference she's still battling to close out the match. For her sake, i'd want a couple of handy matches now, hard to keep battling like that all the way to the title.

Loved the interview with Ashleigh Barty today, future No.1 material in my humble estimation. Playing my old favourite Petkovic in next round and doubt will have much trouble. Will keep backing her for a slam until she wins one!

Verdasco gone to Hoang, Schwartzman gone to Mayer, and Simon gone to Caruso. Nice upsets.

Caroline Garcia, Sakkari and Muchova all gone as upsets on the women's draw. Nice day today.

Federer putting on an exhibition here. Won 9 games on the trot and leads 2 - 0.

Federer putting on an exhibition here. Won 9 games on the trot and leads 2 - 0.

This set has been great. Nishi in a fight

Nadal looking really good here. Hate saying jt

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Nishikori survives. Djere had two breaks in that final set.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,154 ✭✭✭✭josip

Nadal looking really good here. Hate saying jt

He was looking very good in Australia too.

Goffin serving for the set

Well there goes the Nadal to win the FO without dropping a set bet.

I always wonder does Nadal juice.

• Advertisement

5 double faults for Nadal so far. Would that be on the high side for him?

josip wrote: »
    5 double faults for Nadal so far. Would that be on the high side for him?

Not really It's average 3 to 6 is his usual

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭sxt

Stick the bet on djkovic

I can't remember the last time he lost a Set in a grand slam., and neither does he probably. The only person that could win a set off him is Nadal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭sxt

Stick the bet on djkovic

I can't remember the last time he lost a Set in a grand slam., and neither does he probably. The only person that could win a set off him in this tournament, is Nadal.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Good match here between Wawrinka and Dimitrov.

Wawrinka takes the second set.

Light is fading, they might call it a day.

mzungu wrote: »
    Wawrinka takes the second set.

Light is fading, they might call it a day.

Yes will be called now in next 10 mins

Tsitsipas and Krajinovic playing in the dark more or less.

Some great shots from both men all the same.

Osaka in trouble against Siniakova

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Oh dear. I wasn't surprised to see Osaka lose a set but didn't see her losing the match. Opens the door for Keys or Serena to get to the SF now, or maybe even Barty?

Looking at the draw, I think it's probable the winner of the Stephens-Muguruza match is the finalist from the bottom half, or perhaps even the champion. Although going on recent form it may even be Konta?

Oh dear. I wasn't surprised to see Osaka lose a set but didn't see her losing the match. Opens the door for Keys or Serena to get to the SF now, or maybe even Barty?

Looking at the draw, I think it's probable the winner of the Stephens-Muguruza match is the finalist from the bottom half, or perhaps even the champion. Although going on recent form it may even be Konta?

I backed Muguruza to win it last night

Struff and Coric is quite tense

Not surprised that Osaka was beaten. She was lucky in the previous rounds.

Think Muguruza has a good chance now.

Monfils marching on. He played pretty well.

Monfils marching on. He played pretty well.

Del potro is looking brilliant, Nole looking unreal too

Del potro is looking brilliant, Nole looking unreal too

I would like to see him get another slam before he retires.

I would like to see him get another slam before he retires.

Yeah him and Stan are my favs

Serena lost the first set and is now serving at 5-5 in the second. Possible shock result on the cards here? Kenin is playing some lovely tennis.

• Advertisement

Kenin breaks and is to serve for the match.

Kenin breaks and is to serve for the match.

The shocks all coming early

Serena gone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Serena was her usual self when struggling in a match, shaking her head and attempting intimidation tactics with her prolonged daggers at her opponent after serving aces. Kenin played very well, albeit against an unfit Serena. Handled the situation and pressure well. Scoreline in the second set flattered Serena a bit to be honest.

Disappointed, although not surprised, Osaka is out. Hasn't played well on the clay, struggles with movement a bit, and hasn't played well generally really much of the season. Hard to know if it's the pressure of world number one getting to her, or the split from Bajin. Probably a bit of both. Interested to see how she gets on at Wimbledon but suspect her movement might hinder her there also.

Loomis wrote: »
    Serena was her usual self when struggling in a match, shaking her head and attempting intimidation tactics with her prolonged daggers at her opponent after serving aces. Kenin played very well, albeit against an unfit Serena. Handled the situation and pressure well. Scoreline in the second set flattered Serena a bit to be honest.

Disappointed, although not surprised, Osaka is out. Hasn't played well on the clay, struggles with movement a bit, and hasn't played well generally really much of the season. Hard to know if it's the pressure of world number one getting to her, or the split from Bajin. Probably a bit of both. Interested to see how she gets on at Wimbledon but suspect her movement might hinder her there also.

Apparently the split was Bajin decision so I read on twitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

https://metro.co.uk/2019/06/01/hell-dominic-thiem-fumes-kicked-press-conference-serena-williams-9773500/

Wow, Serena got Thiem kicked out of his own press conference. I'm so sick of this b**ch I can't even.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Loomis wrote: »

Would be fair to say i think that Kenin was herself fairly feisty in her general demeanour through the match, to the point she had the crowd on her back for a fair part of it. And fair play to her, determined not to be intimidated where countless others have been.

Would be fair to say i think that Kenin was herself fairly feisty in her general demeanour through the match, to the point she had the crowd on her back for a fair part of it. And fair play to her, determined not to be intimidated where countless others have been.

Reality is Serena is really bad for the sport. If you look at the Thiem interview situation it's madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Hope Williams never wins another slam.
    Her attitude on and off court is disgusting.

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Hope Williams never wins another slam.
    Her attitude on and off court is disgusting.

Agree mate has been for years. The fact she tries to monopolies and holds the power moves is shocking.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

I want Serena to win a couple more to overtake Court. She isn't exactly a pleasant person but Court is ten times worse, would be a real shame if such a terrible person ended up with the slam record. Well if you can even consider Court's tally a record, idk.

• Advertisement
Advertisement