Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow - Ice Warnings for Ireland 23 to 26 Nov 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

highdef wrote: »
    There's a band of wintry precip in the midlands at the moment, moving west to east. Anyone under this area who can say what's falling? Maybe give your elevation too, if you know it. Laois/Offaly seem to be getting most of this large shower.

It's holding together very well as it crosses the country. Close to Enfield, I'm still sub zero....just about

Not much from it in south Laois up to 8.30am. A few spots of sleet/wet-snow. Temperatures were sub-zero at the time, so there is some slightly milder air aloft.

Let's see what the late morning and afternoon brings!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Interestingly, Johnstown in Kilkenny, 137m ASL reported a temperature rise to +0.7c during the shower band, but has since dropped back to +0.1c

That is a Vantage Vue station, so fairly reliable: https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=IKILKENN3

• Registered Users Posts: 7,126 ✭✭✭pad199207

Bits of sleety stuff falling in kildare now

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Sleety/Hail showers on higher ground in Letterkenny area but not enough to cause any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Danno wrote: »
    Not much from it in south Laois up to 8.30am. A few spots of sleet/wet-snow. Temperatures were sub-zero at the time, so there is some slightly milder air aloft.

Let's see what the late morning and afternoon brings!

Thats exactly what fell from the shower band earlier at 6:30 in Athenry too.
    We had blue and red lightning from it too but the only laying snow was very wet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

We had a heavy shower of icy precipitation in Athlone around 8am which froze on the cars, and it has been dry since. We're probably too low lying here to see any snow at any rate.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

had a brief rain shower with bits of sleet mixed in.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Clouds thickening . 4.5c d17

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Sleety rain mix at the moment in Dublin 2

• Registered Users Posts: 10,080 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Croagh Patrick nice and white

23795279_2003190979920625_2533709109582427211_n.jpg?oh=f192c2ec042aec3a52382066893e6037&oe=5AA0C554

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

When I was a kid and saw Croagh Patrick covered in snow I'd always hum the Paramount theme song to myself

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭arctictree

Nice fresh day here in Roundwood. +3.6c

• Registered Users Posts: 48,140 ✭✭✭✭km79

It's absolutely freezing in Athenry
    Would not be surprised to see snow at some point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

MJohnston wrote: »
    When I was a kid and saw Croagh Patrick covered in snow I'd always hum the Paramount theme song to myself

I loved seeing Cratloe woods in Clare covered in snow, nearly every Christmas when I was a kid it was white around the Christmas holidays.
    Back in the 70's and 80's there wasn't as much mild Christmas periods....a lot more hail and sleety conditions back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

km79 wrote: »
    It's absolutely freezing in Athenry
    Would not be surprised to see snow at some point

I'd say it's too cold to snow;):D

I'll get my coat...and mittens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Some sleety rain in Galway but it feels too warm for decent snow. Maybe later?

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Is that band of precip for the south still ongoing for this evening ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Mod Note: Have updated the thread title to reflect the Snow-ice Warning for Ireland.

Met Eireann

National Weather Warnings

STATUS YELLOW

Snow-ice Warning for Ireland
    Update: Scattered snow showers across the country today, becoming mainly confined to Western and Northern parts tonight and for tomorrow. Icy patches expected.

Issued:Friday 24 November 2017 11:34
    Valid:Friday 24 November 2017 11:00 to Saturday 25 November 2017 23:59

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Huge heavy hail shower this morning near Tralee, quite large hail size. still some left even after a lot of rain today ( 5mm precip. ).

Temp just 4.4C

0FrYiGv.jpg?1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Serious hailstones in west Galway.

• Advertisement

Mid level temps set to drop further , more so over Northern counties, to around -7C/ -8C and 500 hPa temps set to rise somewhat as we move into Sat as the cool pool drifts E according to the WRF.

Looks like the Northern counties will get more wintry showers overnight especially on higher ground.

Freezing conditions forecast to set in quickly after dark. Could be tricky road conditions overnight and tomorrow morning.

nmm_uk1-32-12-4_pcr9.png

nmm_uk1-16-35-4_kca4.png

tempresult_wzq1.gif

tempresult_lfr1.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭squarecircles

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Huge heavy hail shower this morning near Tralee, quite large hail size. still some left even after a lot of rain today ( 5mm precip. ).

Temp just 4.4C

0FrYiGv.jpg?1

Ah the white gold , how I've missed it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

Now showing in Limerick. My daughter just got home and showed me a picture. Lodging nicely. I'm here in Tipperary and haven't seen one flake yet. I live in hope.

Met 3pm reports. Just 1 degree at Knock airport with recent snow and dew point point of zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Met 3pm reports. Just 1 degree at Knock airport with recent snow and dew point point of zero.

According to METAR, was snowing 2:30 and again at 3:30.

Shower of sleet/snow here in Castlebar now. lovely to see!

Recent shower of rain and hail, some fine beefy looking clouds out there this afternoon and a lot more to come.

Nice looking LP North of Scotland.

u7T2JjB.gif

hja5ZZA.jpg?1

Winds set to freshen making it feel colder tonight and tomorrow with a more noticeable windchill effect.

tempresult_laj3.gif

tempresult_ptb4.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,845 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Very glad to see the Dublin snow shield is working well, enough commuter delays in this neck of the woods this week. Something tells me it wont be our last chance of snow before the end of February however!

Advertisement