Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Snow - Ice Warnings for Ireland 23 to 26 Nov 2017

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,966 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

This mornings snow disappeared gradually during the day and the few flurries this afternoon didn't stick but since dark we've been under a nearly constant shower train and there is almost 2 inches of fluffy whiteness lying at the mo. My weather station has given up the ghost so I have no idea what the temps are.

I am jealous:o Just cloudy and cold over here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭ironkiwi

A decent snow shower in Ballinasloe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

A really cold damp night- even with the brisk wind. It feels more like -10 than 0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Beefy sleet or snow showers tracking southeast. You could not rule out a dusting anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭pauldry

More heavy hail

Its hailed practically all day

At 1130pm kerrrrrbooooomm

And a flash

Just lashing now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,918 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Beefy sleet or snow showers tracking southeast. You could not rule out a dusting anywhere.

Indeed. In these situations in the east we can make up for the lack of precip with the mere fact the ground is near freezing and so anything that does fall is likely to hang around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,918 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

pauldry wrote: »
    More heavy hail

Its hailed practically all day

At 1130pm kerrrrrbooooomm

And a flash

Just lashing now

You are in the transition to colder airmass and snow will start to fall nearer the coast in the next few hours. It will still be a mix for a while though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Very unusual here, a sustained 10mph west wind and temps are sub-zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Very cold here in Dublin atm, overcast as well. Feels like there should be a few flakes falling. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Very cold here in Dublin atm, overcast as well. Feels like there should be a few flakes falling. :)

There's a big blob of snow on the Netweather radar that might make it to Dublin in a couple of hours, but a lot of similar blobs have been expiring somewhere over the midlands. I'm not waiting up for it anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,325 ✭✭✭highdef

MJohnston wrote: »
    There's a big blob of snow on the Netweather radar that might make it to Dublin in a couple of hours, but a lot of similar blobs have been expiring somewhere over the midlands. I'm not waiting up for it anyway!
    If it made it to Dublin, it would bypass it. But it won't even get that far. It'll be evaporated very soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭511

Cold crisp air I love it. Should clear the air and kill any flu bugs hanging around.

What makes you think that? Influenza viruses thrive in cold, dry air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,058 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

Tiniest amount of little flakes falling now in Ballyfermot

Scrap that.... heavier now but nothing to get too excited about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

Quite a bit here through the night, south Cavan, I'm on a bit of a hill, can't see too far to know if its widespread.

Finished now

More hail at 530am but temps of 3c now and rain cold airmass is moving East and id say wet hail and rain today for Sligo and mild and wet tomorrow then wait until Monday night Tuesday

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Periscal

A band moving across about to hit west Wicklow soon,heading out to 300m asl for a walk now,perhaps first flakes of the season?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Seemed to warm a bit in S Connemara last night. It was noticeably less inclined to result in howling brass monkeys anyway. Sheet of lumpy ice on the windscreen this morning, but the ground is clear (and sodden). Even the ice is the sort that sweeps off rather than gluing itself to the glass. I would -guess- in a totally uninformed way that it is about 3-5C now, but the light is a bit weird - that sort of lowering yellow-white sky with deep gold sunshine and dead calm that could do anything from hail to clear (or both) at any moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

...soon as I post that, hello sleet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,325 ✭✭✭highdef

A slight covering this morning near Enfield, rapidly melting where the sun is shining

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭Reati

Periscal wrote: »
    A band moving across about to hit west Wicklow soon,heading out to 300m asl for a walk now,perhaps first flakes of the season?

And the result in Wicklow... Any snow?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Buffalobill29

We got a small dusting of snow on low ground here in the midlands today, very pleasantly surprised to be honest. I thought it was only forecast for the west and north on high ground?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

Was out at home about 8:30, snow was localised as I drove away a couple of miles there was none.
    But here's what it was like as I left home.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Updated Thread Title.

Met Eireann

National Weather Warnings

STATUS YELLOW

Snow-ice Warning for Ireland
    Update: Scattered wintry showers across the country today (isolated in the Southeast). Wintry showers becoming mainly confined to Western and Northern parts tonight. Icy stretches expected.

Issued:Saturday 25 November 2017 09:56
    Valid:Saturday 25 November 2017 10:00 to Sunday 26 November 2017 10:00

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Colder still and a Greater risk of snow on Thursday according to met eireann forecast

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Periscal

Reati wrote: »
    And the result in Wicklow... Any snow?

Only a brief 15 minute flurry but what fell did stick only a sugar coating though,other showers didn't make it across unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Metmaster

Had a snow shower here in kerry last night proper fluffy snow, even stuck on the ground for a while aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭OldRio

A good half an inch of snow on the ground this morning in Leitrim. Thawing at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Had a slight sprinkling overnight but there are more flakes in a 99.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

Got sent these photos from my dad who's driving through the black valley at the moment! Snow capped! Snow makes everything look beautiful :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Pictures from Maulin and Tonduff in Wicklow this morning.

434494.jpg

434493.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23 DanielL18

Taken a few hours ago in west cork

DanielL18 wrote: »
    Taken a few hours ago in west cork

Stunning photos, what’s your drone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

We had planned on going west this weekend. Very glad we cancelled the trip

• Registered Users Posts: 23 DanielL18

Thanks. Phantom 4 standard. Saved me the trouble of climbing the hill. ��

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Djouce Summit yesterday afternoon.

Sligo hills today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

No ice snow or frost in these parts today and any frost cleared very quickly yesterday morning.

What was the lowest temperature recorded over the last few days?

• Advertisement

What was the lowest temperature recorded over the last few days?

Mullingar and Moorepark had -3.5 on Friday, haven't checked Thursdays ME data, but Saturday was a bit milder.

Edit just checked Thursday and it mostly was milder than Friday, so I'm guessing the above was the "peak"

MJohnston wrote: »
    Mullingar and Moorepark had -3.5 on Friday, haven't checked Thursdays ME data, but Saturday was a bit milder.

Edit just checked Thursday and it mostly was milder than Friday, so I'm guessing the above was the "peak"

Thanks for that. It didn’t amount to much in these parts so was interested to see where it did.

Thanks for that. It didn’t amount to much in these parts so was interested to see where it did.

Well, the Met Eireann trigger for a Yellow alert for Snow/Ice (which is why we end up with these 'event' threads on Boards most of the time) is fairly vague and probably one of those things that'll be in place for a lot of winters:
    Slippery paths and roads due to accumulation of ice on untreated surfaces

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,230 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Was well warranted to be honest when you see the amount of car crashes it caused.

People in this country can't drive in any weather that's not ideal!

Advertisement