Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013 Swim Log Comment thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭TO_ARTHUR!

I had a swim in an open 50m pool there yesterday and even though the air temp about 20, it was very windy and the pool was freezing cold, I'd say the sea would have been warmer. Thought I was gonna die of hypothermia:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭wfdrun

okane1 wrote: »
    First OW swim of the year. Was a cool 9.4C in Muckross lake. Had the wetsuit on and did 1km. Felt great been back in the OW, roll on higher temps!

Hi okane1

could you give me some advice as to how the lake swim compares to the sea or pool in terms of buoyancy, swim times, please?
    I am at the slow side at 9 min per 400m in the pool, but am building distance for 3.8k swim in lough leane in august.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭okane1

wfdrun wrote: »
    Hi okane1

could you give me some advice as to how the lake swim compares to the sea or pool in terms of buoyancy, swim times, please?
    I am at the slow side at 9 min per 400m in the pool, but am building distance for 3.8k swim in lough leane in august.

thanks

I assume your doing the hardman in August? I've swam the swim leg for the past two years and hopefully will do again this year.

You swim in a wetsuit? If so, there is a slight different between salt and fresh water with respect to buoyancy. You will be less buoyant and sit lower in the fresh water. If you are a good swimmer with a good body position you will probably prefer to swim in fresh water instead of salt water - this works for me. I feel I am above the water in salt water when wearing a wetsuit and I need to adjust accordingly. I prefer togs in this case.

If you naturally sit low in the water, a wetsuit will help in fresh water but you will not get the same benefit as you do in salt water. If you are swimming with the wind blowing over you, the water can roll over you, making it difficult to breath. Just need to know this can happen and work with it. Adjust the breathing, i.e. rotate a bit more but not too much too cause your legs to separate - scissor kick.

The lake will you swim in is dark, very dark. Peat bottom. Its strange at first so may take some time to get used to it. Remember, relax.
    It been peat bottom and fresh water, do not panic about taking in water. Its very clean. I take a little slip from time to time and haven't had any issues. Water quality in the lakes in Killarney is very important and the town and all depts. work hard to keep it clean, i.e. only licensed boats allowed on the lake and they must be cleaned and stored correctly if out of the water.

I might be doing the safety talk for the Hardman. I know its months away so don't be afraid to ask any further questions.

Finally, if you are doing all your OW swim training in the sea, you should get into a fresh water environment before the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭wfdrun

I assume your doing the hardman in August? I've swam the swim leg for the past two years and hopefully will do again this year.

You swim in a wetsuit? If so, there is a slight different between salt and fresh water with respect to buoyancy. You will be less buoyant and sit lower in the fresh water. If you are a good swimmer with a good body position you will probably prefer to swim in fresh water instead of salt water - this works for me. I feel I am above the water in salt water when wearing a wetsuit and I need to adjust accordingly. I prefer togs in this case.

If you naturally sit low in the water, a wetsuit will help in fresh water but you will not get the same benefit as you do in salt water. If you are swimming with the wind blowing over you, the water can roll over you, making it difficult to breath. Just need to know this can happen and work with it. Adjust the breathing, i.e. rotate a bit more but not too much too cause your legs to separate - scissor kick.

The lake will you swim in is dark, very dark. Peat bottom. Its strange at first so may take some time to get used to it. Remember, relax.
    It been peat bottom and fresh water, do not panic about taking in water. Its very clean. I take a little slip from time to time and haven't had any issues. Water quality in the lakes in Killarney is very important and the town and all depts. work hard to keep it clean, i.e. only licensed boats allowed on the lake and they must be cleaned and stored correctly if out of the water.

I might be doing the safety talk for the Hardman. I know its months away so don't be afraid to ask any further questions.

Finally, if you are doing all your OW swim training in the sea, you should get into a fresh water environment before the event.

thanks okane1, for a very informative reply. Yes i hope to complete the hardman in august, with a wetsuit. first ow swim this bank holiday but i will aim to practice in a nearby lake (ballyscanlon, waterford) come june. ROK cycle will see me try out lough leane (night before hopefully).

thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

@Okane,

Was that you out at 40ft today with suit and blue hat?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Guys - I'm a keen swimmer who swims about three to four times a week. :) I've posted in this forum a few times in the past.

How would I get onto the 2013 Swim log or is it too late?

Cheers!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭YouWantWhat

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Guys - I'm a keen swimmer who swims about three to four times a week. :) I've posted in this forum a few times in the past.

How would I get onto the 2013 Swim log or is it too late?

Cheers!:cool:

Go back to the first few pages of the log and the comments there will tell you how to get included.

mad m wrote: »
    @Okane,

Was that you out at 40ft today with suit and blue hat?
    Wasn't me, was up in mayo for the weekend. Were you swimming?

Wasn't me, was up in mayo for the weekend. Were you swimming?

Yeah, did the 3 buoys and back again.....Nice water but still a little bit sharp. I said to fella, hey Kane that you, he gave me strange look....haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭2old4dacold

wfdrun wrote: »
    thanks okane1, for a very informative reply. Yes i hope to complete the hardman in august, with a wetsuit. first ow swim this bank holiday but i will aim to practice in a nearby lake (ballyscanlon, waterford) come june. ROK cycle will see me try out lough leane (night before hopefully).

thanks again

Carrick-on-Suir swim would be near enough to you then too, 1.5k freshwater with a 750 and 500 the same day so you can get in a nice bit of training in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

At last, hoping to be back in swimming pool next week, got the go ahead from physio to start swimming, recovering pretty well from injuries, the pool is my next milestone. Should really help me along. I will start off doing small swims and increase gradually if I am able. I just cant wait to start adding to the logs again.

Fairly sharp in sea at Seapoint...Not great for May I have to say and especially only 3 weeks till first Leinster sea swim..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

mad m wrote: »
    Fairly sharp in sea at Seapoint...Not great for May I have to say and especially only 3 weeks till first Leinster sea swim..

I thought 40ft was ok yesterday.

Did the 3 buoys both ways, about 25 minutes and didnt feel too cold..

What an absolute cracker of a day to day! Much different story out in Seapoint today. Couldn't go out early so got out there around 7pm which was high tide anyway.

Oh congrats to Chris Byran on his win in Portugal...

Just finished the first OW race in Fenit this year. Was a short course, 500m. Out and back to the second bouy. Water was lovely (yes in togs!).

I swam a smart swim with a mass start. Dragged a wetsuit swimmer until 100m where I sprinted off for the win :D

Hopefully we will have many more days like today.

WP_20130529_004_zpsd40ae625.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭valerie

Looks glorious okane - glad the race went well for you. I haven't braved the sea without a wetsuit yet - temperatures appear to have dropped again this week on this side of the country!

valerie wrote: »
    Looks glorious okane - glad the race went well for you. I haven't braved the sea without a wetsuit yet - temperatures appear to have dropped again this week on this side of the country!

Thanks Valerie. Temps down here are around the 11C mark. Certainly a good bit warmer than the Irish Sea.

Sure wouldnt expect any less Okane with all the training you have put in....Polished up the cup I won last year for some lucky winner for Saturdays race in Killiney.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Glorious swim on Killiney beach yesterday. Anybody know how far the 3 markers are - would a lap from the front of the lifeguard hut around the 3 and back be about 1k?

OKane1 - you might find this interesting if you havn't already seen it....

http://fermoyfish.com/2013/06/10/race-review-gaddinabtgarnish-2013/

• Advertisement

OKane1 - you might find this interesting if you havn't already seen it....

http://fermoyfish.com/2013/06/10/race-review-gaddinabtgarnish-2013/

Thanks YouWantWhat. It was a lovely swim. I can safety say I have binned those fecken goggles. Leaked throughout the swim!

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭2old4dacold

Garnish is a lovely swim alright, did it the last two years. Pity it's so far away from me though :(

I must admit that I feel pretty meagre compared to all you super swimmers on the log but at least I've progressed from the bottom of the list.:)

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I must admit that I feel pretty meagre compared to all you super swimmers on the log but at least I've progressed from the bottom of the list.:)

Don't be disillusioned - I only took up swimming less than 2 years ago. I used to do a local triathlon but never learned to swim properly, and usually came out of the water light headed, unbalanced and behind everyone else!! Then I got some lessons. Iwas looking forward to the swim part (only 750m) of the next race, but the event was cancelled. I looked around for something else to do instead and came across the Sandycove challenge - the rest is history, hooked on it since.
    If you have not done so already, enter an open water event, join a group and get in regular ow swims.

Don't be disillusioned - I only took up swimming less than 2 years ago. I used to do a local triathlon but never learned to swim properly, and usually came out of the water light headed, unbalanced and behind everyone else!! Then I got some lessons. Iwas looking forward to the swim part (only 750m) of the next race, but the event was cancelled. I looked around for something else to do instead and came across the Sandycove challenge - the rest is history, hooked on it since.
    If you have not done so already, enter an open water event, join a group and get in regular ow swims.

Thanks. :) I've been swimming since childhood so that's about 30 years now. I was on my school swim team a long, long time ago and I've been on and off in terms of regular swimming over the past 20 years.

Really trying to push myself to do a 1km swim at least once a week these days. I've done OW swimming in the Irish sea several times before but not at an event.

Did the 750m and 1.5km races in Lough Key last Saturday with Open Water Swimmer.
    Did the 750m in togs and the 1.5km in the wetsuit. Must say I much prefer togs. Was far too buoyant. Water was a nice 16C. Came in first on both events.

The GF did the 1.5km and was her first OW event. To put the icing on the cake, she came third and was over the moon.

WP_20130615_001_zps09c2c088.jpg

Congrats Okane1!:D

Lough Key is a beautiful spot. :) I have many happy childhood memories of Lough Key and the forest park as my family used to take the boat up there in summers past.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭valerie

Well done Okane! Although would expect nothing less with all that training. Well done to your girlfriend too - great start to her open water career!

Bloody hell, both You(Okane) and GF.... It's getting like Cagney&Lacey.....:). Bloody tag team.

• Advertisement

Did the 750m and 1.5km races in Lough Key last Saturday with Open Water Swimmer.
    Did the 750m in togs and the 1.5km in the wetsuit. Must say I much prefer togs. Was far too buoyant. Water was a nice 16C. Came in first on both events.

The GF did the 1.5km and was her first OW event. To put the icing on the cake, she came third and was over the moon.

Well done on both counts - both of you.

- How come your success's are mainly outside the Cork area!!?? :rolleyes:

Advertisement