Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013 Swim Log Comment thread

Options
  • 21-03-2013 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭

I said I'd start this thread because comments are lost on the main thread with table updates coming thick and fast.

Well done to Okane1 on hitting the 200k mark so early in the year. Is he on the way to the magic "million metres per annum" mark?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭okane1

I said I'd start this thread because comments are lost on the main thread with table updates coming thick and fast.

Well done to Okane1 on hitting the 200k mark so early in the year. Is he on the way to the magic "million metres per annum" mark?

Well that is the plan. You can see from the attached excel sheet, I need to average 18.92km per week to hit the 1,000,000m mark!! Lots of work ahead!

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭2old4dacold

I just passed Madm for the first time ever :D

Been using a Finis Snorkel for the past week. Find it excellent when focusing on technique. You can watch your arms pulling the entire time.Had to sign a disclaimer before I could use it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

I burst out laughing when I seen this....Just updated the swim log and came in to have a look at this.....Haha...

Well done....Didn't think I was the one to catch....:)

okane1 wrote: »
    Been using a Finis Snorkel for the past week. Find it excellent when focusing on technique. You can watch your arms pulling the entire time.Had to sign a disclaimer before I could use it!!

The pool made you sign a disclaimer!!!

• Advertisement

mad m wrote: »
    The pool made you sign a disclaimer!!!

The manager stopped me mid swim and advised I had to sign a disclaimer. I can kinda see their point, if your not used to a snorkel, you could take in a lot of water and do some damage. Nice bit of kit.

The manager stopped me mid swim and advised I had to sign a disclaimer. I can kinda see their point, if your not used to a snorkel, you could take in a lot of water and do some damage. Nice bit of kit.

Yeah was one of the first to bring one in to sessions. Got a bit of stick but then they all wanted one....First try I tried to turn my head to take a breath:D. Takes a bit of getting used to when tumble turning.

I burst out laughing when I seen this....Just updated the swim log and came in to have a look at this.....Haha...

and he's gone again .... :(:)
    Well done....Didn't think I was the one to catch....:)

you chase who ever is in front of you :D
    and it looks like the only way any of us will catch Okane1 is if we stick a cork in his snorkel Wile E Coyote style :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

I'm out of all training at the moment, i am recovering from a bad accident, so my ambitions for the year have taken a setback. Hope to get back to the pool and other sports out in the year all going well. Miss the swimming at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭valerie

Sorry to hear that Amprodude - hope you recover quickly.

I realised tonight I've been completely spoiled by 50m pool. Pool was converted to short course shortly after I started this evening and it drove me mental.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Amprodude wrote: »
    miss the swimming at the moment.
    +1. Been out for weeks too. Just when I was feeling good in the water. A few more weeks before I can get in then have to swim uphill for a few more... :(

Wishing you as speedy recovery Amprodude

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

valerie wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that Amprodude - hope you recover quickly.

I realised tonight I've been completely spoiled by 50m pool. Pool was converted to short course shortly after I started this evening and it drove me mental.

+1. Been out for weeks too. Just when I was feeling good in the water. A few more weeks before I can get in then have to swim uphill for a few more... :(

Wishing you as speedy recovery Amprodude

Cheers for the good wishes.

I was enjoying the swimming and the logs and people's progress on here each week. I'm still following the logs. My own swimming records will be quiet for few months but hopefully I can get back and add to them again eventually. No better motivation. At the moment I'm just delighted to be alive and recovering slowly from my injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Yesterday was my first day back in the water in two weeks. Issues with my back and shoulders slowed me two weeks ago.

Last week Tuesday, we found out that my father was diagnosed with cancer in his ureter (tube that connects the kidney to the bladder). They removed his kidney last Friday. He is home today with no other signs of cancer in his body.

I needed to put my head in the water for a good long soak.

Yesterday was my first day back in the water in two weeks. Issues with my back and shoulders slowed me two weeks ago.

Last week Tuesday, we found out that my father was diagnosed with cancer in his ureter (tube that connects the kidney to the bladder). They removed his kidney last Friday. He is home today with no other signs of cancer in his body.

I needed to put my head in the water for a good long soak.

Sorry to hear about your father. Hopefully he will recover with good speed.
    I always find when swimming, all my thoughts/issues leave me when swimming, especially in OW. Really clears the mind.

Mule,

Thoughts and prayers with your Dad and your family.
    It is something that unfortunately too many families experience.
    Please God all goes well from here.

well done on the ton! Arthur and Kevin

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭TO_ARTHUR!

Cheers 2old4dacold but what's a ton in swimming?

well for the purpose of our swim log, i was referring to 100km

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭TO_ARTHUR!

Thanks very much. It's the first time i have gone over 100km in a year and I'm happy to have done it. I knew at the start of the year that I had it in me to do it and said I wanted to do it before Saint Patrick's Day. Made it with a day to spare too! I'm gonna try do another 100 before the end of June.

Anyone else setting themselves targets?

well done wfdrun and ocisorrenta on the 100 aswell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭ocisorrenta

Thanks 2oldfordacold. Would have got there two weeks sooner without the dreaded stomach virus. Never had that before and I cannot recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭wfdrun

Thanks 2oldfordacold. May is coming and hoping to exchange more sea water for the pool!
    Enjoy the water!!

Well lets not forget swim in numbers, don't swim on your own. Spare a thought for the swimmer today who got into trouble and died in hospital.he was swimming out near Dalkey. I was out a Sandycove today and seen the rescue helicopter out.

He was in his 30's....very sad!

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭biomed32

Well its been a while since I last posted in the log, been very pre-occupied and not on boards as much. I purchased a sony MP3 player for the water and it has made a huge difference to my swimming. My current boredom following my Masters and current unemployment has made me hit the pool and I am on course to hit 100 km hopefully before the year is out.
    Was thinking of perhaps doing a charity swim the distance of Dover to Calais. Its a case of wait and see

Lovely water at 40ft this morning. Went around two buoys with Glenalbyn lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭valerie

Lovely water at 40ft this morning. Went around two buoys with Glenalbyn lads.

Were you in a wetsuit madm? I'm debating whether I'm ready for the open water yet - might give it another week!

valerie wrote: »
    Were you in a wetsuit madm? I'm debating whether I'm ready for the open water yet - might give it another week!

No none of us were, sure the lads from Glenalbyn are there at 12pm Sat/Sun, more than welcome to join the group.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Thigh injury. Hurts a lot! On prescription painkillers and no swimming :(

My 2013 target is 200K. Wanted at least 67K by end of April but that ain't gonna happen now. I'll have to start 2K per swim when I'm back in the water.

First OW swim of the year. Was a cool 9.4C in Muckross lake. Had the wetsuit on and did 1km. Felt great been back in the OW, roll on higher temps!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

First OW swim of the year. Was a cool 9.4C in Muckross lake. Had the wetsuit on and did 1km. Felt great been back in the OW, roll on higher temps!

Finally got to 40ft this morning. Found it ok. Started from harbour and swam around the 3 buoys to 40ft. A good few in and water was quite bearable at 8.5C..

Advertisement