Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rugby World Cup 2019 Japan The hunt for Webb Ellis

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Forwards:
    Campese Ma’afu, Eroni Mawi, Peni Ravai, Mesulame Dolokoto, Samuel Matavesi, Ratu Vere Vugakoto, Lee-Roy Atalifo, Manasa Saulo, Kalivati Tawake, Tevita Cavubati, Leone Nakarawa, Api Ratuniyarawa, Tevita Ratuva, Semi Kunatani, Viliame Mata, Mosese Voka, Dominiko Waqaniburotu (c), Peceli Yato

Backs:
    Frank Lomani, Nikola Matawalu, Henry Seniloli, Levani Botia, Jale Vatubua, Ben Volavola, Vereniki Goneva, Filipo Nakosi, Waisea Nayacalevu, Semi Radradra, Josua Tuisova, Joshua Matavesi, Alivereti Veitokani, Kini Murimurivalu

Fiji's 32 man squad. One player to be cut prior to the RWC.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭andymx11

Now I’ve only ever been to rugby games in the Aviva and Cardiff but is it just me or do the actual pitches look super far away from the stands in a lot of the RWC stadiums?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

andymx11 wrote: »
    Now I’ve only ever been to rugby games in the Aviva and Cardiff but is it just me or do the actual pitches look super far away from the stands in a lot of the RWC stadiums?

They're using a load of stadiums with running tracks in them, so yeah the crowd will be miles from the pitch.

Watching the England game. Big error there from Halfpenny, spills a ball in a poor position but the bigger failing was Forde. He is so one dimensional, had numbers wide and Wales defence was very loose and he failed to spot or capitalise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭ongarite

Poor defence from usually rock solid Wales.
    England breaking the gain line in midfield too easy with strong runners.
    I don't fancy their chances in WC with Biggar at 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

James Davis is now off the pitch for Wales.

It probably won't be long now for a try to happen from Wales.

Wales have got their 3 points on the board. England still have nothing on the board so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 307 ✭✭davepatr07

Typical England, brute bash rugby.

George North has a try for Wales.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Ford is so average. Not the man you need in a comeback.

About ITV's coverage for the RWC from their website. I notice that Ryle Nugent's name is not included on their commentary team for Japan this year.

Is Ryle Nugent be going to Eir Sport as commentator this time?

England "We need a score to win this game, I know we'll kick the ball away"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

That English defensive line has been offside all day, could have been pinged off the park.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,838 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Welsh penalties at ruck time have been ridiculous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 307 ✭✭davepatr07

Something dislikable about this England team, could be an Eddie thing. Good turnover from Wales, Dan Biggar what a guy well deserved MOTM.

• Advertisement

That was a great winning performance from Wales. England were all over the place with their mistakes today.

With Ireland up next there’s a bit of pressure on England - they don’t want to go into the WC with L L W with the win being against Italy !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Other group opponents Russia getting a pasting from Italy

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Other group opponents Russia getting a pasting from Italy
    85 - 15
    Obviously no idea how full strength that Russia squad was, but still.......

Vasily artemyov was playing for Russia!

• Advertisement

I know it’s only Scotland’s first game but surly Japan will be licking their lips....

When do Japan play Scotland? Wonder will we see some rotation against us so they fully target the Scotland game..

Edit: it’s their last game so no real need for rotation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

It’s a warmup match so it doesn’t mean much but the Japan team that just won the PNC would comfortably see off that Scottish team. They’d want to get the finger out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,854 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

About ITV's coverage for the RWC from their website. I notice that Ryle Nugent's name is not included on their commentary team for Japan this year.

Is Ryle Nugent be going to Eir Sport as commentator this time?
    This is the most positive news I’ve heard so far during the RWC warmups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,553 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

It’s a warmup match so it doesn’t mean much but the Japan team that just won the PNC would comfortably see off that Scottish team. They’d want to get the finger out.

I really hope Japan get to the quarters, would be a huge achievement. One they arguably would have managed last time if the schedule hadn't screwed them.

I really hope Japan get to the quarters, would be a huge achievement. One they arguably would have managed last time if the schedule hadn't screwed them.

I’d love it too but logically you’d expect Scotland to get it together enough to beat even an incredibly up for it Japan side. Scotland’s major weakness is up front, Japan simply don’t have the pack to exploit that weakness.

Looks like Ian McKinley didn’t make the final Italy squad.

andymx11 wrote: »
    Looks like Ian McKinley didn’t make the final Italy squad.

Are Canna and Allen the only out and out 10s in the squad? I know Padovani has covered 10 a bit in the past but I’m not as familiar with the Italian squad as I used to be. I assume McKinley is the next cab off the rank in case of injury.

Yokohama International Stadium looking in need of some TLC- this was it last night.

Apparently a lot more rain than expected has hit the Japanese shores.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,854 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/sport/rugby/john-campbell-investigates-odds-stacked-against-pacific-minnows-like-manu-samoa-rugby-world-cup

Some contrast to Ireland training at "The Campus" in Faro

Samoans had to pay out of their own pocket to fly back for training! Looks like World Rugby's "Pacific Working Group" still has allot of work to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

https://www.rugbyworldcup.com/matches

Handy "add to calendar" feature here, for however many teams you want (some or one or all). Select the teams and pick next (took me a while to realise you had to scroll down for 'next'). Adds to your favourite calendar program with ease. All in your local timezone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,902 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

https://www.rugbyworldcup.com/matches

Handy "add to calendar" feature here, for however many teams you want (some or one or all). Select the teams and pick next (took me a while to realise you had to scroll down for 'next'). Adds to your favourite calendar program with ease. All in your local timezone.

Same as the official Rugby world cup app

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Wales to win WC at 9/1 seems good value

what do you clued up rugby people think...worth a flutter?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

fryup wrote: »
    Wales to win WC at 9/1 seems good value

what do you clued up rugby people think...worth a flutter?

Unless someone else knocks out both NZ and SA not for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Yeah Wales' record against SH opposition is pretty poor. Haven't beaten NZ since the 50s and beat Australia for the first time in 14 attempts last year in a dire 9-6 affair. Their record against SA is better, winning 5 of their last 10 against them. But only 1 of those was outside of Wales (in the US). They've been consistently very good against NH sides but they'll need to beat at least 1 of the big SH sides to win the RWC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

molloyjh wrote: »
    Yeah Wales' record against SH opposition is pretty poor. Haven't beaten NZ since the 50s and beat Australia for the first time in 14 attempts last year in a dire 9-6 affair. Their record against SA is better, winning 5 of their last 10 against them. But only 1 of those was outside of Wales (in the US). They've been consistently very good against NH sides but they'll need to beat at least 1 of the big SH sides to win the RWC.

Their recent record against SA is against a SA team that doesn’t have its overseas players. Was the case in November anyway. Can’t see Wales beating either SA or NZ in a WC, even this Oz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,722 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

WR have implemented an immediate rule change off the back of the England vs Wales game, where North scored after Heinz was being taken off the field for a HIA, play cannot resume after a HIA or blood injury until the replacement player is on the field.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-union/international/rugby-world-cup-2019-wales-vs-england-george-north-try-rules-laws-changed-hia-avoid-repeat-a9074111.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Even Wales's recent record against England isn't great, aside from the 6n this year

I'm pretty sure the 2015 World Cup win - which was a bit of a smash and grab tbh - was their only competitive victory against them in 6 matches until this year

They always perform against Ireland but they'd be underdogs against all of England, Oz (in a latter stage match), SA and New Zealand. While they could beat one of them in a one off game, I can't see them beating two of the above, which they will surely have to

Wallabies World Cup squad:
    Backs: Kurtley Beale, Dane Haylett-Petty, Reece Hodge, Marika Koroibete, Jordan Petaia, Adam Ashley-Cooper, Tevita Kuridrani, James O'Connor, Samu Kerevi, Matt Toomua, Christian Lealiifano, Bernard Foley, Nic White, Will Genia.
    Forwards: Isi Naisarani, Jack Dempsey, Michael Hooper (captain), David Pocock, Lukhan Salakaia-Loto, Rory Arnold, Izack Rodda, Adam Coleman, Rob Simmons, Allan Alaalatoa, Taniela Tupou, Sekope Kepu, Scott Sio, James Slipper, Tolu Latu, Folau Fainga'a, Jordan Uelese

Jordan Petaia could light up the world cup if he gets a chance. he offers something different in midfield, and can play 15 as well

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

How do people reckon the Aussies will do?

I remember plenty writing them off after the Lions in 2013, but they bounced back and had a superb world cup two years later.

They've been very up and down in the last 4 years but could they just come and hit form at the right time again?

jr86 wrote: »
    How do people reckon the Aussies will do?

I remember plenty writing them off after the Lions in 2013, but they bounced back and had a superb world cup two years later.

They've been very up and down in the last 4 years but could they just come and hit form at the right time again?

I think they'll be competitive, they always raise their game for the world cup. I bet they'd give their eyeteeth for Will Skelton right now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,733 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Will Skelton and Fardy would be great additions to their squad, in areas of weakness too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Yea i fancy Aus to get to the semi's at least.
    Beat Wales in group. Wales under Gatland have a brutal record against Aus:
    14 games over the last 10 years they have won just two games. They won in Nov last year but it will be a differnt team in WC.
    Beat Arg/Fran in 1/4's
    Semi v SA
    Final v NZ?

AdamD wrote: »
    Will Skelton and Fardy would be great additions to their squad, in areas of weakness too.

Be interested to see if one or both get asked to play, in the event of injuries. Two massive talents, Skelton in particular was a revelation this season imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,722 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Be interested to see if one or both get asked to play, in the event of injuries. Two massive talents, Skelton in particular was a revelation this season imo.

Doubt it. Too late at this stage to bring in players who haven't been part of the setup for 3 years. If they were going to play a part in the RWC campaign they would've been brought in for the Rugby Championship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Is the Scotland v France match on any channel other than Premier Sports 2 in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Tempted to back Wales as I think we might have a northern hemisphere winner this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

Gamb!t wrote: »
    Tempted to back Wales as I think we might have a northern hemisphere winner this year.

We will. But it ain't Wales.

England or us.

Us.

Scotland v France

HD stream but french commentary: https://www.france.tv/france-2/direct.html

Dear Mods, this is a legal official France 2 stream, you just need to be in France ;)

Different week, same story so far for Scotland. 30 minutes in and its 03-14 to the French.

• Advertisement
Advertisement