Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Did you see Munster match?
    Connacht are progressing. Munster are depressing.

Depressing you may conclude but they beat probably the best Welsh region away from home and scored 3 tries to none. Not bad for first game of season.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Some Like It TOH
    Aki's try was up there as team tries go. Some phenomenal play in the buildup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

The Friend Zone

yep, and wotton showed he has something, I know letting some of the players was hard after 2016m but so far the right calls were made, our wingers came more and more into the game today, Proch will tkae some shifting, his defence needs to improve, or more should In say his positional sense, but man he has pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭connachta

Missing with Ireland

Aki 100% I feel a bit more confortable Anold looked involved when he was on
    Heff 90% Murphy not trusted today, Delahunt has to come back from suspension already in the rythm
    Bealham 90% (injuries in the other provinces) Aungier is very very good
    Marmion 60% Very accurate, in defence too, if Murray is too short, he'll go
    Thornbury 50% Such a complete lock. Looked a bit exhausted past the 65th mark though
    Carty 40% Behind R.Byrne, it's open, but struggling with the tee at the moment...
    Dillane 40% let's see how he goes next week, looked promising last Saturday
    Roux 30% nightmare start but grew into the game in 2nd half
    Butler 20% Cover 6 7 and 8 with ease, why not an outside call now he's IQ
    Blade 20% Depends on Murray going, if not he may be (a great) 3rd choice
    T.Farrell 10% Who knows, but McCloskey may get the nod

Porch : Should be picked with Australia played amazing again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

1st half was one to forget but turned it around in the second. I thought we looked quite narrow in defence kind of like ireland under Schmidt. Using the touchline to Shepherd attackers but maybe that was just for today.
    I think the backline is really exciting and will only get better. Tom Farrell is a real quality player.
    Forwards were able to carry well and make ground too.
    1 thing I'm worried about is hooker. As connachta mentioned Murphy wasn't trusted in a tight game and I think he is just too small anyhow. Might be ok against zebra but not much else. Delahunt back cant happen soon enough and the academy lads are not there yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

The Friend Zone
    Struggling with the tee is harsh on carty imo off two games where in one he kicked well and in the other he had one poor kick and one difficult one. Bad kick out on the full but went on to have a decent game. Think some fans still don't have full confidence in his ability (and I can understand that given his struggles starting out as a pro).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Howyanowscan

Oliver was some man. Just made an absolute nuisance for Glasgow all day. He was begging for any chance to carry. Hugely impressed.

Thornbury was immaculate. He's a very important man for lineout and tackling

• Registered Users Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Bazzo wrote: »
    Uh, yeah? I'm a Connacht fan making a glib comment. Not sure what Munster have to do with it?

Because Munster only play the worst rugby & never the best rugby!
    I’d happily take what Andy Friend is doing over van Graan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

Tom farrell. Who else could it be. Amazing talent. That said Chris farrell's try for Munster showed why he is considered at international level. It was pure class also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    Because Munster only play the worst rugby & never the best rugby!
    I’d happily take what Andy Friend is doing over van Graan.

Sorry, it probably sounded a bit more offended than I meant it to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭rayd3

Connacht beat Glasgow. So naturally a Leinster fan is talking about Munster in the Connacht thread.

Sorry, it probably sounded a bit more offended than I meant it to.

No prob. I’m just impressed with how Friend has been able to rebuild a squad and implement a good brand of rugby.
    The van Graan project is my comparison of how not to build a squad and play rugby.
    Is this Friend’s last year of contract?

I’ll say it. I want Andy Friend as the next Ireland head coach!
    Sorry Connacht!

Friendsy is right ""We conceded nine penalties in the first half and two penalty in the second half. There's the difference between the first and second half because our pressure does hurt teams. It's a great lesson for us early on in the season to have that reinforced."

Well my biggest satisfaction on the long-term perspective yesterday is the un-noticed performance of Peter Sullivan.

He plays the most all-rounded rugby for a 22-y old young Connacht back since Robbie Henshaw. That's important now Healy gets older

Fast
    Side-Step
    7's qualities

+
    Power (95K)
    Involved in rucks (had a massive clearence in a threatened offensive breakdown, leading to our try IIRC)
    Decent positionning

+
    Sense of the game
    Kicks
    Hands

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    freyners wrote: »
    Struggling with the tee is harsh on carty imo off two games where in one he kicked well and in the other he had one poor kick and one difficult one. Bad kick out on the full but went on to have a decent game. Think some fans still don't have full confidence in his ability (and I can understand that given his struggles starting out as a pro).

His kicking now really is night and day from a few years ago. He might have the odd howler now but be also slots some very difficult ones. He's probably a minimum 75% kicker now which is plenty good enough considering what else be brings to the game with ball in hand and kicking from hand.

A good few years back he was hovering around 60% and the team were afraid to let him have a shot at goal from anywhere.

Whatever else about Carty you really have to admire his ability to work on his faults. Some areas that were weaknesses have become real strengths (kicking from hand particularly).

Well very happy things have gone today in England

Pot 3 has turned to be a blessing

We'll have either Bristol or Sale (without Tuilagi)

Good teams but far less experience and suit us way better than tbe other 2 we could have had before that final day

Bath and Wasps would have been marching on us physically, like Toulouse did at the Sportsground, even without dominating in style

If Racing won CC
    We'll face Lyon or transitioning Toulon, and Sale or newcomers Bristol

FFS it's doable!!!!!!!!!

PS assuming Sale beat Worcester, so..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

My wish would be Racing 92. What a stadium. Want to see a live game there. Hopefully some day

ElisaAtWar wrote: »
    My wish would be Racing 92. What a stadium. Want to see a live game there. Hopefully some day

My wish is a home-and-away QF
    So Bristol and Lyon/Toulon for me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭JohnniDrama

His kicking now really is night and day from a few years ago. He might have the odd howler now but be also slots some very difficult ones. He's probably a minimum 75% kicker now which is plenty good enough considering what else be brings to the game with ball in hand and kicking from hand.

A good few years back he was hovering around 60% and the team were afraid to let him have a shot at goal from anywhere.

Whatever else about Carty you really have to admire his ability to work on his faults. Some areas that were weaknesses have become real strengths (kicking from hand particularly).

He has come on so much Jack. It’s been a challenging journey for him but he really flourished last season.

When he is on his A game, I think he has a game beyond any other 10 in the country. I really do. Now, I haven’t seen much of Harry Byrne, but the obvious other 10’s, I am not sure can match Jack at his complete best. Certainly skill and creative play wise.

He is probably a little more inconsistent kicking but again vast improvements from hand and tee.

But there remain inconsistencies in his game.

That missed second penalty which was easier than the first.
    Missed touch line penalties, turning over possession.
    Dead ball kick, turning over possession and territory.
    Chips over the top, turning over possession.

Some of that in the first half against Glasgow and we struggled because of it.

I only highlight to support observations. Clearly as a team that first half was a struggle.

Then you have the second half. Invention. Territory. Pressure. Scores.

I am such a big fan of him. With some consistency, he will be close to his very best.

I also feel he gives Ireland a gain line creative 10 unlike any other option we have. We saw glimpses against Japan before the team fell apart and the Dublin journos decided it was his fault.

If Ireland have designs on innovative, attacking footy, he has to be in the discussion. But first, that consistent performance must come.

I suppose it is our greatest challenge this season. To be consistent as a team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

connachta wrote: »
    Well very happy things have gone today in England

Pot 3 has turned to be a blessing

We'll have either Bristol or Sale (without Tuilagi)

Good teams but far less experience and suit us way better than tbe other 2 we could have had before that final day

Bath and Wasps would have been marching on us physically, like Toulouse did at the Sportsground, even without dominating in style

If Racing won CC
    We'll face Lyon or transitioning Toulon, and Sale or newcomers Bristol

FFS it's doable!!!!!!!!!

PS assuming Sale beat Worcester, so..

Sale have a better pack then Wasps

Sale have a better pack then Wasps

More stereotypical.
    Wasps/Bath would have been harder IMO
    Not saying Sale will be easy win, but we can outspeed them

• Registered Users Posts: 24,180 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I'd hold your horses, folks. Sale are big favourites to beat Worcester in normal circumstances but these are exceptional. They have a tiny squad already and are missing half of it which is incredible. They're going to have to field academy players and are reportedly looking to register retired players to allow them field a team. I assume they've also been barely able to train or prepare as a group in the week leading up to Wednesday.

If Worcester show up and give it a genuine go, they should win. A lot is going to depend on whether Worcester are interested or not. If Sale don't win, it's Bath and they're capable of tearing most teams in Europa open if they click.

Buer wrote: »
    I'd hold your horses, folks. Sale are big favourites to beat Worcester in normal circumstances but these are exceptional. They have a tiny squad already and are missing half of it which is incredible. They're going to have to field academy players and are reportedly looking to register retired players to allow them field a team. I assume they've also been barely able to train or prepare as a group in the week leading up to Wednesday.

If Worcester show up and give it a genuine go, they should win. A lot is going to depend on whether Worcester are interested or not. If Sale don't win, it's Bath and they're capable of tearing most teams in Europa open if they click.

That's why I prefer Sale to Bath yeah.
    But except covid huge number not recovered, they should beat Worcester.
    The latter would have interest only winning by 100 points.
    So they won't
    And Sale, even deplated, have a S-F to play for
    And thanks to Saracens late equilizer pen try, they don't even need a BP to overcome Bath in the table

Hopefully some selection headaches in the back three.
    I like what he said about Porch.
    “Then Johnny Porch at the back, he’s just got gas. He’s got gas and he sees space. He brings real punch and energy, which is what you want from a fullback"

He is a big lad isn't he?
    Whats his overall game like?

He is a big lad isn't he?
    Whats his overall game like?

As I said above in this page, what I loved this Saturday was his multi-added-value

He rucked and protected the offensive support leading to one of our try,
    He runs as fast but he's harder to tackle than Healy,
    He seems able with his hands and feet

Want to see him again
    High balls still to be tested, but our most beautiful try came from Sullivan at least forcing the knock-on of their Tongian winger under up-and-under

• Advertisement

That sounds like a promising player!
    Particularly like to hear he has pace and power but also capable with the boot.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement