Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google WiFi (Two-Unit System) - €90 [Currys]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭jamesozzie

Is that in a particular store? It's not that price online

• Registered Users Posts: 43,781 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Just clearance so store specific I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

They don't even have the twin pack in their system according to lady I spoke with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭long_b

Basq wrote: »
    Just clearance so store specific I'd say.

Where was this Basq?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

sweetie wrote: »
    They don't even have the twin pack in their system according to lady I spoke with.

In the UK, Google Wifi comes with a two unit set costing £229.

A single Google Wifi unit can be had for $129 (£129, AU$199). Google promises that three Wifi Points can cover up to 4,500 square feet (418 square meters) in a home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Have one in my hand - was planning on a mesh system, but this is AC 1200 - is that fairly basic? Others are 2200 or 3000?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

ablelocks wrote: »
    Have one in my hand - was planning on a mesh system, but this is AC 1200 - is that fairly basic? Others on shelf are 2200 or 3000?

What brand? Google WiFi uses very decent Qualcomm radios and a quad core Arm CPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭matzen

Bought a couple of these last year, made a huge improvement to network signal in the house. Used to be no wifi signal as soon as I stepped into back garden, but now there's a strong signal all the way at the end of garden.

What brand? Google WiFi uses very decent Qualcomm radios and a quad core Arm CPU.

This Google WiFi in my hand -

I've seen Tp link and linksys with ac2200 and 3000

Just want to know if this is worth it at 90 really - I'll be getting fibre soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭clevtrev

in which shop?

Naas, only the one though, and I just bought it.

Both TP Link and Linksys (Belkin) use crappy cheap as chips Realtek wireless. Google WiFi has decent hardware comparable to the enterprise gear from Ubiquiti and Mikrotik

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

None in jervis

long_b wrote: »
    Where was this Basq?
    Twas Sligo.. only one remaining when I left at 1pm today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Twas Sligo.. only one remaining when I left at 1pm today

You didn't buy it! I'm shocked ;)

You didn't buy it! I'm shocked ;)
    There was two when I arrived! ;)

Very impressed with these..

.. WiFi download speed has increased by 35% and that's next to the to router.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭long_b

Anyone else, I'd be mad jealous. You, in the other hand, have earned 'em.

Well wear

Get cables to them if you can. Wired backhaul will be much faster and dependable than wireless no matter the signal.

• Advertisement

Get cables to them if you can. Wired backhaul will be much faster and dependable than wireless no matter the signal.
    Unfortunately for devices like Fire TV, this is a no-go without yet another pricey adapter.

Also one of the hotspots (the base) is plugged into the actual source router.. so the other is essentially the booster.

To be honest, I've a mixture of wired (switch at back of telly to Vodafone TV, Xbox One, Shield) and wireless (Fire TV, Hue, Echo) devices in my house.. and I've been lucky enough with them.

I got this to improve signal upstairs in the house where the FireTV / home-office is.. but I didn't expect it to improve so much next to the actual router itself (those VF routers are sh*te).

Lots of nice little features on the Google Wifi though like a) finding the best wireless channel b) guest-wi-fi network c) family wi-fi (switch off wifi during times for kids - homework, bed time - and block adult sites etc).

[Off-topic]
    The biggest waste of money ever are homeplugs.. I've owned probably 3 - 4 and they all suffer the same flaw.. fantastic until they're plugged in for any longer than 5 days continually and they just heat up and start to stall / stutter on video etc. Then they're fine after being switched off until they cool down. Pain in the arse!
    [/Off-topic]

Sorry for the ramble.

I meant get a cable to your second Google WiFi so it's not using mesh and has the full duplex speed of a cable

I meant get a cable to your second Google WiFi so it's not using mesh and has the full duplex speed of a cable
    Yeah, it's upstairs at the top of my hall landing so it's not particularly easy to get a cable up there.. we'll see how this goes.

The second unit will be primarily to boost a poor signal so if it's good enough for casual internet usage, streaming video and occasional video calls, I'd be happy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Doesn't support vlan on wan, makes it kinda crap in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Most won't need VLAN - these are great devices for the vast majority of users and they work really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

It looks like the second one is gone in Sligo now.

dingding wrote: »
    It looks like the second one is gone in Sligo now.
    Yeah, was actually in there earlier and no sign of it alright.

The two units were scattered though - one was in a basket as you go in the front door with copies of Fifa 18 for the Xbox (etc) and the other was on the display I indicated there in the original post.

Still, girlfriend picked up a handy little Kindle case for 98c... not all bad!

JDxtra wrote: »
    Most won't need VLAN - these are great devices for the vast majority of users and they work really well.

It's wasted in access point mode and double NAT just creates problems. What way would you suggest setting them up?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

JDxtra wrote: »

Sky and VM are losing market share to eirvision and Vodafone tv. Both require it. + All ftth connections (another 500k possible subs). Most users keep routers several years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭JDxtra

It's wasted in access point mode and double NAT just creates problems. What way would you suggest setting them up?
    Switch providers router into bridge mode, plug one of these into a LAN port on that router and go from there. It handles everything on the LAN, and all external bound traffic is router through to the providers router. Nothing more to it than that, works a treat.

Advertisement