Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free BT Sports and Eir Sports

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Eircom eir whatever, crap customer service

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Its free for life according to chat session I had with eir this morning

Bull, there is no way that front line support would know this! Mostly first level support don't even work for Eir (they are usually work for a third party contract company) and they normally have zero insight into management plans.

In reality no one knows what will happen in future, just enjoy it for now.

Having said that it could well end up being free for ever if it is actually been paid for by a large increase in the broadband costs.

Either way you will end up paying for it, nothing in life is free and the big fee's Eir and BT paid to license these sporting events has to be paid somehow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

Signed up last night, woke up this morning to find they had been added to my Sky TV. I was also pleasantly surprised to find it included the HD versions of all channels, I kind of assumed it wouldn't with them being free
    catrat12 wrote: »
    How to i watch the eir channels on sky, i have eir broadband.
    http://www.eirsport.ie/subscribe

Scroll down and select "I have Sky TV with eir Broadband"
    Tinie wrote: »
    Whats the link to watch the channels through your browser when you cant get near the sky box?
    http://live.eirsports.ie

But it has to be IE (maybe others), definitely not Chrome

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Would you need to have a sky subscription? I have a sky box but not subscribed, only ever use it for the FTA channels

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

scudzilla wrote: »
    Would you need to have a sky subscription? I have a sky box but not subscribed, only ever use it for the FTA channels

Nope!
    I'm in same boat, used to pay for Sky, no longer do but still use the box for FTA.

Entered in my sky viewing card number there online and hey presto I get all the channels! even the HD ones. WOOT :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭dinevalesco

What are the channel numbers on Sky TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Sponsorgate

Mickalus wrote: »
    scudzilla wrote: »

Nope!
    I'm in same boat, used to pay for Sky, no longer do but still use the box for FTA.

Entered in my sky viewing card number there online and hey presto I get all the channels! even the HD ones. WOOT :D
    Sweet!! can you still record ??

Sweet!! can you still record ??

Nope, live pause and record and all that are all gone when I ended the subscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭madanall

There are letters going out today and of the next couple of weeks from eircom. Unless you joined them or changed your package, in the last 2 months, your "new" package is going up by 8 euros a month. What you get is "free" Eir sports package and unlimited landline calls to the UK.

All providers are increasing their prices due to Eir increasing costs to them. So 8 euros a month extra for free Sports package and unlimited landline calls to UK is actually a good deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭madcabbage

If you're a Sky, BT Sports/Setanta and Eircom Phone/Broadband customer, does one have to do anything? I was planning on cancelling my BT sports pack but I'm confused now! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

madcabbage wrote: »
    If you're a Sky, BT Sports/Setanta and Eircom Phone/Broadband customer, does one have to do anything? I was planning on cancelling my BT sports pack but I'm confused now! :(

There's a thread in Broadcasting,afaik you do have to contact Setanta and cancel.

Just wondering if you had a friend or relation who was an Eir customer and not into sport could you use their details to get Eir Sports on satellite on your own Skybox?

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ronanc1000

Any tips lads.

Currently watching Eir Sports through the app on via my android box.

However, I would like to watch these channels through a sky or eir vision box or whatever. I don't have a sky box at the moment I only have saorview but my question is do I need a sky viewing card with the box to watch the Eir Sports Channels? I don't want to buy a second hand sky box if it won't work without the viewing card. Ideally I'd like to watch all the FTA channels with the additional Eir sports pack on my Tv through a sky box. Can it be done?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

madanall wrote: »
    All providers are increasing their prices due to Eir increasing costs to them. So 8 euros a month extra for free Sports package and unlimited landline calls to UK is actually a good deal.

So OpenEir, Eir wholesale, increase the wholesale cost by €8 to pay for the "free" Eir Sports, thus also forcing all the other resellers (Sky, Vodafone, etc.) to pass on the price increase, even though they can't also offer Eir Sport for free!

So almost every broadband user in the country ends up paying €8 per month more for broadband, even though they can't get Eir Sports or don't care about it! *

What an absolutely rotten and dirty trick to do.

* Setanta (now Eir Sport) and BT Sport have a combined viewing figures of less then 1%. So 99% of people don't care about this and won't be happy paying an extra €8 to subsidise the 1% of people who are sports fans.

Really very very dodgy. If I was Virgin, Sky, etc. I'd certainly be making complaints to Comreg. I'd say watch this space.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭pinkles

im in a similar position, dont subscribe to Sky but i do have an Sky Plus box and a newish card (which i never used) only use saorview + free to air channels via sky. only problem is that my dish means changing.

This, however is a game changer...i'd like to watch via satellite and not have to watch via HDMI cable / laptop / TV.
    however, my suspicion is that if a customer direcly links their broadband account to their satellite TV provider, they may incur charges, price rises in the future....
    the clever thing would just use it via the website directly, eircom used to offer this years back for setanta sports / eircom broadband.

but watching it on TV directly would be irresistible. i might cough up
    for a new dish. however, i don't trust Eir on this.
    regarding your own situation im pretty sure you'd need a sky box and sky viewing card if u wanted to view it via Sky. . i may be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭macjohn

bk wrote: »
    So OpenEir, Eir wholesale, increase the wholesale cost by €8 to pay for the "free" Eir Sports, thus also forcing all the other resellers (Sky, Vodafone, etc.) to pass on the price increase, even though they can't also offer Eir Sport for free!

So almost every broadband user in the country ends up paying €8 per month more for broadband, even though they can't get Eir Sports or don't care about it! *

What an absolutely rotten and dirty trick to do.

* Setanta (now Eir Sport) and BT Sport have a combined viewing figures of less then 1%. So 99% of people don't care about this and won't be happy paying an extra €8 to subsidise the 1% of people who are sports fans.

Really very very dodgy. If I was Virgin, Sky, etc. I'd certainly be making complaints to Comreg. I'd say watch this space.

I am one of the sad 1% :-)

Are the prices on the eir website uptodate with the €8 increases? Or did packages increase by different amounts.
    Anywhere to see the new and old prices.

Am with vodafone and the prices on eir seem reasonably comparable
    (eg pay vodafone 45 for broadband and some calls(dont use the calls) and eir have 45 offer for broadband and payg calls. Ok would be more expensive for someone who uses the calls.)

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Sponsorgate

ronanc1000 wrote: »
    Have it up and running on firefox with my mothers account credentials. What type of android box is reqd to stream it. I have an android tv stick with kodi etc but won;t allow download of the app

Have a minix box. Downloaded the app via the google play store. Logged in on the app and it works well.
    Are they in HD on minix?
    Tried logging in on my minix but it's saying "Sorry, there's something wrong with your account" I have logged in on my PC & you are allowed 2 devices so not sure what issue is? Anyone have similar problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭Zardoz

bk wrote: »

I dont think wholesale prices have gone up by 8%.
    Did Eir not already have a price increase in February ??

Zardoz wrote: »
    I dont think wholesale prices have gone up by 8%.
    Did Eir not already have a price increase in February ??

The wholesale costs for standalone broadband are as so:

NGA Bitstream Plus Standalone
    Effective From - Effective to - Price €
    20/05/2013 - 30/06/2015 - 17.50
    01/07/2015 - 31/08/2016 - 19.50
    01/09/2016 - Ongoing - 23.00

Note these are wholesale prices, exclude VAT, other expenses, etc.

The wholesale bundled (with line rental, etc.) prices are increasing as so:

NGA Bitstream Plus POTS Based
    Effective From - Effective to - Price €
    20/05/2013 - 31/08/2016 - 5.98
    01/09/2016 - Ongoing - 8.09

That is a pretty shocking, 31% price increase over just 4 months on standalone broadband and 35% price increase for bundled broadband!

These wholesale price increases will easily lead to €8 or more retail price increases across the board.

Pretty outrageous IMO.

So no it isn't "free" we are all going to be paying for Eir Sports :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭ElNino

Has Comm Reg approved those price increases?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

Daithi07 wrote: »
    I have sky broadband, so I wonder will they match the offer and give us sky sports?

No because they want you to pay full price.

Which in my opinion is a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭lpool2k05

Cancelled my sky broadband tonight and will subscribe to EIR...too good of a deal...I have 4 sky boxes so i couldnt refuse free BT Sports on all of them..

Great deal...sky tried to argue their case but gave in eventually :p

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

ronanc1000 wrote: »
    Any tips lads.

Currently watching Eir Sports through the app on via my android box.

However, I would like to watch these channels through a sky or eir vision box or whatever. I don't have a sky box at the moment I only have saorview but my question is do I need a sky viewing card with the box to watch the Eir Sports Channels? I don't want to buy a second hand sky box if it won't work without the viewing card. Ideally I'd like to watch all the FTA channels with the additional Eir sports pack on my Tv through a sky box. Can it be done?

You could ask Eir for a viewing card as they have to supply them to folk who subscribe to Eir Sport on Sky but who are not already Sky customers.

If you can't get one from Eir, and the second-hand Sky box doesn't come with one that will work, just subscribe to the basic Sky package for a month and you'll get one that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Bit confused by all this.

If one has Eir broadband as well as UPC, can one get the BT Sports channels on UPC's channels? Or are you required to switch from UPC to Eir's TV service?

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 28,717 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Bit confused by all this.

If one has Eir broadband as well as UPC, can one get the BT Sports channels on UPC's channels? Or are you required to switch from UPC to Eir's TV service?

The offer as it stands is that if:

- You are an eir customer with eir TV you will get eir Sports and BT free
    - If you have eir broadband and Sky TV you can get eir Sports and BT free by registering your Sky viewing card on the eir Sports site
    - As you are an eir broadband customer you can probably get them via the eir Sports app or website, but NOT on UPC/Virgin TV without paying for it

That's my understanding of things anyway.. I fall into the 2nd category above and since they resolved the website issues earlier can now view them all on my Sky box :)

Quackster wrote: »
    You could ask Eir for a viewing card as they have to supply them to folk who subscribe to Eir Sport on Sky but who are not already Sky customers.

If you can't get one from Eir, and the second-hand Sky box doesn't come with one that will work, just subscribe to the basic Sky package for a month and you'll get one that way.

Wouldn't recommend this as there's normally a minimum 12 month term on these.

Getting a card from eir or possibly a FTA card (haven't tried this myself though) is probably the better bet

lpool2k05 wrote: »
    Cancelled my sky broadband tonight and will subscribe to EIR...too good of a deal...I have 4 sky boxes so i couldnt refuse free BT Sports on all of them..

Great deal...sky tried to argue their case but gave in eventually :p

If Sky were clever now they'd offer Sky Sports free to Sky BB customers - that'd certainly stir things up a bit!!

But they won't!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Is there any way of getting this onto a TV screen without a sky box? I have the app on my phone and a ps3 and a free sat box hooked up to the TV. Both of them can stream media over the WiFi, I don't have a clue about screen mirroring.

If the app works on a kindle fire HD, I could just plug that into the HDMI port.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    - If you have eir broadband and Sky TV you can get eir Sports and BT free by registering your Sky viewing card on the eir Sports site

I think you are largely correct, butjsut to add to this one, that you don't need to have an active sky subscription just an old sky box and card should work fine. With a setup like this you can also view some 80 or so FTA channels. You just can't record any of them.
    _Kaiser_ wrote: »
    If Sky were clever now they'd offer Sky Sports free to Sky BB customers - that'd certainly stir things up a bit!!

But they won't!

Of course not, Sky Sports is their golden goose, they certainly aren't going to kill it.

However maybe they will offer something like Sky Atlantic or launch Now TV in Ireland. Would actually be more useful to more people then Eir sports.

Actually now that I think of it, launching Now TV in Ireland, with saorview capability and lots of streaming UK channels might be a good response.
    McGaggs wrote: »
    Is there any way of getting this onto a TV screen without a sky box? I have the app on my phone and a ps3 and a free sat box hooked up to the TV. Both of them can stream media over the WiFi, I don't have a clue about screen mirroring.

If the app works on a kindle fire HD, I could just plug that into the HDMI port.

HDMI from a PC/Mac or if you don't have that a Chromecast on your TV would allow you to cast it from your phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

We had Sky TV years and years ago but got rid. Since then, we have had the freeview service via our old Sky box in which we can view the likes of BBC, ITV, Channel 4, E4, a selection of music channels, Sky News, CBBC etc etc.

Can anyone confirm that it's possible to avail of the Eir Sports offer with just this system (being an Eir broadband customer too of course)?

• Advertisement

Paully D wrote: »
    We had Sky TV years and years ago but got rid. Since then, we have had the freeview service via our old Sky box in which we can view the likes of BBC, ITV, Channel 4, E4, a selection of music channels, Sky News, CBBC etc etc.

Can anyone confirm that it's possible to avail of the Eir Sports offer with just this system (being an Eir broadband customer too of course)?

Yep, I have it up and running.
    No longer pay Sky, but still have the box. Getting all the Eir/BT sports now

Advertisement