Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free BT Sports and Eir Sports

Options
  • 05-07-2016 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭

As Eir have taken over Setanta Sports, get the subscription Free for existing eir broadband customers. Just log into your eir account online and enter your sky cards 9 digit number and get free BT/Eir sports channels.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭irishbloke77

There are letters going out today and of the next couple of weeks from eircom. Unless you joined them or changed your package, in the last 2 months, your "new" package is going up by 8 euros a month. What you get is "free" Eir sports package and unlimited landline calls to the UK.

If you want, you have 30 days to leave the contract from the date of the letter, with no early out of contract fees, BUT you must give 30days notice still, or otherwise you will be charged the increased price for part of the next month.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,590 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

There are letters going out today and of the next couple of weeks from eircom. Unless you joined them or changed your package, in the last 2 months, your "new" package is going up by 8 euros a month. What you get is "free" Eir sports package and unlimited landline calls to the UK.

Yikes that is an insane price increase!

Clearly the Eir Sports isn't really "free", you'll be paying €8 for it. Ok if you are a big sports fan, but a rotten deal for everyone else!

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭darklighter

What Eir packages are going up? Broadband packages?

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

Are these streaming sites or on Sky?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

I've eir broadband. But I also already have the bt/setanta package which I pay an annual fee every January for the year. Anyone have any idea how this new set up will work for people that have the bt/setanta package already?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

I've eir broadband. But I also already have the bt/setanta package which I pay an annual fee every January for the year. Anyone have any idea how this new set up will work for people that have the bt/setanta package already?

somewhere on their website (sorry can't remember where) there is a FAQ with this question and it states that if you phone them up you will get a pro rated refund for the outstanding duration

• Registered Users Posts: 12,239 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

So Eir is going up by €8 but you now get Setanta and BT?

But does that mean I don't need my €25 Setanta sub anymor?

Happy days if so

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,934 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

And how does it work if your not a sky customer.
    Just pay the extra and get nothing?....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

somewhere on their website (sorry can't remember where) there is a FAQ with this question and it states that if you phone them up you will get a pro rated refund for the outstanding duration

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

mik_da_man wrote: »

apparently you can access it online

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

mik_da_man wrote: »

Nah, Eir's service is via broadband. No Sky dish.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

Watching it online here now.... http://live.eirsport.ie/

Just have to sign in with your Eir details. Didn't work on Chrome, had to use Firefox and install Microsoft Silverlight.
    Looks good so far!

DrPhilG wrote: »
    So Eir is going up by €8 but you now get Setanta and BT?

But does that mean I don't need my €25 Setanta sub anymor?

Happy days if so

It says on the letter being sent out, that "If you had the Setanta Sports and BT Sports Add-on,...... you will no longer be charged for this add-on from your next bill".

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

Mickalus wrote: »
    Watching it online here now.... http://live.eirsport.ie/

Just have to sign in with your Eir details. Didn't work on Chrome, had to use Firefox and install Microsoft Silverlight.
    Looks good so far!
    Well if it's online only that's me fooked as I only got 1.5MB with Eir(com) even though cabinet is (fibre)live, apparently the houses in the area have to be 'enabled' too.?.?

Well if it's online only that's me fooked as I only got 1.5MB with Eir(com) even though cabinet is (fibre)live, apparently the houses in the area have to be 'enabled' too.?.?

it's not online only. You can also get it via Satellite like the OP said.
    There's also an app if you're out and about.
    To watch eir Sport on your TV through your set top box, simply select the appropriate channel in your programme guide. If you are an eir Vision customer, the channels will automatically appear in your listing. If you are a Sky TV customer, you will need to provide details of your viewing card in order to view eir Sport on your set top box.

^^ ....from http://support.eir.ie/sport

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jaycos11

jonny_b wrote: »
    As Eir have taken over Setanta Sports, get the subscription Free for existing eir broadband customers. Just log into your eir account online and enter your sky cards 9 digit number and get free BT/Eir sports channels.
    Has this worked for you?

I have tried numerous times and keep getting an error screen?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭ElNino

Link to add Eir Sports to your Sky box which is free for eir subscribers apparently.

If you are a current Setanta subscriber this is how to get a partial refund
    Will I get a refund if I move from an annual subscription to this offer?
    Yes. If you call 0818 20 30 40, we would be happy to arrange a refund for the remainder of your annual subscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭Del007

I have eir broadband does that mean that I can get the sports for free and if so do I have to cancel it so that I won't be charged in the future?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

that's a bit steep alright going up to 70 euro to give you free eir sports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Broadband only customers monthly rate also increasing?
    My girlfriend is moving in with me soon and hoping to find a way to escape her eircom bb only contract without having to pay off the balance, this could be it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭Masala

I am with EIR with Phone + Broadband for approx €56 per month. I don't have the E-Vision add-on as I have a Sky package with Movies + Sport.

Am I going up €8 a month as well?? I don't need any more Sports as happy with the Sky Sports and have no interest in BT or Setanta.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jaycos11

Masala wrote: »
    I am with EIR with Phone + Broadband for approx €56 per month. I don't have the E-Vision add-on as I have a Sky package with Movies + Sport.

Am I going up €8 a month as well?? I don't need any more Sports as happy with the Sky Sports and have no interest in BT or Setanta.

Yes.

All EIR packages are going up. You have 30 day cancellation period as far as im aware tho to cancel from EIR.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ronanc1000

Here's where I am lost with this.

Just spoke to an Eir representative via live chat on their website, asked would I be facing any extra charge on top of my existing broadband bill and they said no none at all, the sports service is free. So where is this 8 quid coming from?

ronanc1000 wrote: »

Just spoke to an Eir representative via live chat on their website, asked would I be facing any extra charge on top of my existing broadband bill and they said no none at all, the sports service is free. So where is this 8 quid coming from?

According to the notice being sent out, the sports service is a free add on. They are charging an extra 8 euros onto the tv/broadband/telephone bundles, for a "better" service and depending on he package you are on, maybe some extra/unlimited calls to the UK.

Maybe if you don't get the telephone service off them, and just get either broadband and/or tv, there may not be any increase, especially if you upgraded or only joined recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭Masala

So..... what are the alternatives if I don't want to be held to ransom by Eir?

Is it worth switching to Vodafone???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Supposedly a new Eir 18 month contract is required if you enter your sky viewing card .

Masala wrote: »
    So..... what are the alternatives if I don't want to be held to ransom by Eir?

Is it worth switching to Vodafone???

All depends on where you are and how good your line is etc etc, I was looking at Vodafone myself yesterday to compare prices. Considering it.
    This was a nice added bonus for me. BT/Setanta showed a lot of games last season.

I would wait to see if you are actually "Held to ransom" first though. There's a 'talk to' forum as well on boards - some people are asking questions about all this. Worth a read.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ronanc1000

Might as well use the sports service until this letter comes to my door. Downloaded the Eir Sports App. Streaming it through my android box. Looks good.

ronanc1000 wrote: »

I rang up this morning after getting the letter. He said my bill wouldn't be going up at all and the sports stuff would be free!!! I know it sounds wrong but I asked him several times and he was adamant.

I get the telephone, broadband from the blighters and have been a customer for donkey's years.

I don't have a bloody clue what's going on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭pinkles

I rang up this morning after getting the letter. He said my bill wouldn't be going up at all and the sports stuff would be free!!! I know it sounds wrong but I asked him several times and he was adamant.

I get the telephone, broadband from the blighters and have been a customer for donkey's years.

I don't have a bloody clue what's going on.

yes im in the same boat. not a clue.

yeah seems too good to be true. im guessing that it is 100 per cent free online but that it will not be free on TV in the future.

I have a sky dish at home but needs replacing.
    what i dont understand is that it is supposed to be free via Sky. if it is a broadband-based service - how can eir provide it free via satellite?
    im guessing all will be revealed in the coming weeks.....im not sure about this 8 euro charge thing but anyway, lets just wait and see!

Advertisement