Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will schools be able to go back in September? (Continued)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

The teacher in secondary has 22 contact hours a week. Good timetabling could average each one to 4 and a quarter hours contact time a day

4 for the kids obviously.....I'll be teaching over my contract hours as usual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

Smacruairi wrote: »
    So you were asked to back up your ability to fit 30 kids in a room and you couldn't so you stopped trying.
    You were asked how to staff all the extra classes that you are moving off site, and you couldn't, so you now will accept anyone the guards say is OK.
    So now, when I'm fitting out the parish halls or marquees for live streams, do I just drill and place webcams myself or do I need to ask for permission? How do I get Internet to a marquee. Am I installing a huge screen too? Are all the kids allowed to opt out of being on screen recorded too? Can the teacher?
    What about lunch and supervision of such in these halls. Are they mini prisons? Do they have to stay inside?

You're a bloody clown.

Hi, you must have missed the bit about the marquee, the satellite rooms, the community centres that was focussed at length over the last ? Pages

Wireless or maybe a cheap internet dongle runs at about 25 euro a month

Yes nobody should be recorded
    No they are not mini prisons
    We could have lunch int he marquee and wash our cups in the dishwasher after

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

Hi, you must have missed the bit about the marquee, the satellite rooms, the community centres that was focussed at length over the last ? Pages

Wireless or maybe a cheap internet dongle runs at about 25 euro a month

Yes nobody should be recorded
    No they are not mini prisons
    We could have lunch int he marquee and wash our cups in the dishwasher after

Dishwasher in the marquee... Internet in the marquee. Where is all this plugged in? Sure you get all the space you want under your bridge so it's fine sure.
    You didn't mention supervision, you skimmed over that. It's almost like you're not genuine..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Just please give that guy one school to run, please!! He can organise all that nonsense there, as many marquees as he want to, even turn it to Disneyland.. Might keep him busy for while

Or almost like you call me names, demand an answer and call me more names when I dont answer things that I've said already. I answered your silly little jib about mini prisons didnt I?

I would hope that you use better questioning strategies in class

And what do you do for a living again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

You're a bloody clown.

Well that would help to explain his attachment to marquees...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Dongles in the Marquee with secure connections and all the requisite DoE safety and confidentiality filters, wow I could really use something that high tech for working from home. Let me know when it gets invented.

Or almost like you call me names, demand an answer and call me more names when I dont answer things that I've said already. I answered your silly little jib about mini prisons didnt I?

I would hope that you use better questioning strategies in class

Just copy paste the guidelines again, good lad. Keep putting students in pubs supervised by randomers, marquees or in 2d because you weren't clever enough to spot that your designs didn't actually account for children themselves.

You couldn't make it up.

Well that would help to explain his attachment to marquees...

Maybe he sells marquees......and in in charge of renting community halls in his parish

Just copy paste the guidelines again, good lad. Keep putting students in pubs supervised by randomers, marquees or in 2d because you weren't clever enough to spot that your designs didn't actually account for children themselves.

You couldn't make it up.

Well you just did make it up so nothing's impossible!

Please quote me where I have have said to put students in pubs supervised by randomers?

The teachers can go in the marquee instead of their cars. The quarantine area could be the marque it's well ventilated. Pe classes could be held in the marquee if it's raining there are many potential uses for the extra space depending on the individual schools needs. They have the freedom to asses thier own needs
    If the children cant fit in the class the go in the satellite room

• Advertisement

Still no indication of what he does for a living. Whatever it is, he spends a hell of a lot of time online. I only have this time because I was taking a few days off before heading back to the school tomorrow. Who has this kind of time when they are working? I'll tell you the teachers won't be posting like this come September

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

HerrKuehn wrote: »
    Don't forget that community hall could have an even worse wasp problem!

Or a severe hive mind issue..... Oh wait..... :eek:

I actually can't believe wasps flying into classes has even been mentioned, talk about clutching at straws.

Glad to see some schools are already communicating plans with parents and coming up with solutions.

Roll on September :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

The teacher in secondary has 22 contact hours a week. Good timetabling could average each one to 4 and a quarter hours contact time a day

I had thought about this myself.

I'm not saying it wouldn't work, but my head just can't go there, so unfortunately I can't work out the solution myself. I'm thinking that in the suggestion above, the only people who end up in the building less frquently are the teachers.

But, the teachers aren't really the issue - there are less of us. Our staff meetings, dept meetings, lunchtime and breaktime announcements and curriculum planning can all be done remotely while we are in different rooms. There are days when I am so busy that I don't even see other staff members for an entire day.

It's the students we need to see less of. I am not saying it can't work, but I have tried to figure out how and I can't. This was my plan. A typical day for a cohort of, lets say 3rd years might look like this:

9.00 - 9.30 ENGLISH
    9.35 - 10.05 MATHS
    10.10 - 10.40 HISTORY
    11.00 - 11.30SCIENCE
    LUNCH/CLEANING
    12.45 - 13.15 ENGLISH
    13.20 - 13:50 MATHS
    13:55 - 14:25 HISTORY
    14:30 - 15:00 SCIENCE
    CLEANING

My idea was that half the class (15 of them) would attend the morning sessions and that the other 15 would attend the afternoon sessions. Both would be the exact same class.

I honestly felt delighted with myself. I had found the answer. Added in loads of time for cleaning and sanitising of rooms in between classes too. That was until I realised that in order for them to be getting more than 2.5hrs of education a day (plus who looks after them if they are at home half the day) it would realistically have to look more like this:

9.00 - 9.30 ENGLISH/IRISH
    9.35 - 10.05 MATHS/GEOGRAPHY
    10.10 - 10.40 HISTORY/OPTION 1
    11.00 - 11.30 SCIENCE/LANGUAGE
    LUNCH/CLEANING
    12.45 - 13.15 IRISH/ENGLISH
    13.20 - 13:50 GEOGRAPHY/MATHS
    13:55 - 14:25 OPTION 1/HISTORY
    14:30 - 15:00 LANGUAGE/SCIENCE
    CLEANING

If you went to English in the morning it was Irish in the afternoon for you. But with this layout, we then have a problem with space as we are back to having full numbers on site and we have no room to have them all in and divided in half at the same time.

It's an abolute headwreck. Haven't heard from my principal at all yet.

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    I had thought about this myself.

I'm not saying it wouldn't work, but my head just can't go there, so unfortunately I can't work out the solution myself. I'm thinking that in the suggestion above, the only people who end up in the building less frquently are the teachers.

But, the teachers aren't really the issue - there are less of us. Our staff meetings, dept meetings, lunchtime and breaktime announcements and curriculum planning can all be done remotely while we are in different rooms. There are days when I am so busy that I don't even see other staff members for an entire day.

It's the students we need to see less of. I am not saying it can't work, but I have tried to figure out how and I can't. This was my plan. A typical day for a cohort of, lets say 3rd years might look like this:

9.00 - 9.30 ENGLISH
    9.35 - 10.05 MATHS
    10.10 - 10.40 HISTORY
    11.00 - 11.30SCIENCE
    LUNCH/CLEANING
    12.45 - 13.15 ENGLISH
    13.20 - 13:50 MATHS
    13:55 - 14:25 HISTORY
    14:30 - 15:00 SCIENCE
    CLEANING

My idea was that half the class (15 of them) would attend the morning sessions and that the other 15 would attend the afternoon sessions. Both would be the exact same class.

I honestly felt delighted with myself. I had found the answer. Added in loads of time for cleaning and sanitising of rooms in between classes too. That was until I realised that in order for them to be getting more than 2.5hrs of education a day (plus who looks after them if they are at home half the day) it would realistically have to look more like this:

9.00 - 9.30 ENGLISH/IRISH
    9.35 - 10.05 MATHS/GEOGRAPHY
    10.10 - 10.40 HISTORY/OPTION 1
    11.00 - 11.30 SCIENCE/LANGUAGE
    LUNCH/CLEANING
    12.45 - 13.15 IRISH/ENGLISH
    13.20 - 13:50 GEOGRAPHY/MATHS
    13:55 - 14:25 OPTION 1/HISTORY
    14:30 - 15:00 LANGUAGE/SCIENCE
    CLEANING

If you went to English in the morning it was Irish in the afternoon for you. But with this layout, we then have a problem with space as we are back to having full numbers on site and we have no room to have them all in and divided in half at the same time.

It's an abolute headwreck. Haven't heard from my principal at all yet.

And that's just one year group. What about the maths teacher who has 5 other year groups to teach that day. You can't have them do 12periods in the day... Or be in 2 locations at once..

I think hour long classes would make a difference. We have them and I love them, so much gets done and it limits change. A lot of schools have or are changing anyway so it might speed it up. For LC I could see my options subject twice a week, one double, one single so three hours in total.

So you'd be talking

3rd years
    8.45 - Tutor
    9.00 English
    10.00 Maths
    11.00-11.30 Lunch/breakfast for some and cleaning
    11.30-12.30 - Woodwork
    12.30- 13.30 - French

Then home

6th Year
    10.00-11.00 - English
    11.00 - 12.00 -Option 2
    12.00 - 12.30 - Lunch and cleaning
    12.30 - 13.30 - Maths
    13.30 - 14.30 - Option 1
    14.30 - 15.30 - Option 1

So junior cycle, we cut a good bit of fluff, no religion etc. Have a little bit of daily wellbeing with tutor in the morning, this could even be extended. Senior Cycle would have no tutor but a bit could be timetabled.

JC classes - Back 20 hours a week initially instead of 28
    3 hours of English and maths (6)
    2 hours of Irish (mainly because I think this will be an issue in a lot of schools staffing wise) (2)
    History Geography etc (generally students take a language, science, history, geography, business then art music etc so its usually 9-10 examinable with core. Stick with 9 examination subjects and each gets 2 hours. (12)

Th's your 20 for the first few months, most of your teachers will be freed up a little, so say your maths teacher of 2nd and 3rd is now teaching 3 instead of 4....use that hour to split another maths class with high numbers.

Leaving cert are in 25 not 28....hardly a big change but easier to manage and still gives a little leeway.....

You hope that as we train kids and figure stuff out and understanding more of how the virus spreads we can be back with every kid in 28 hours but we just don't have the staff to do it safely now so we need to utilize the staff we have.

Staff will hopefully see less kids for a bit longer, the research tells us that's thats safe now....not sure if that will stay true but hopefully it will. In practical subjects at LC at least you have your two hours block, your not constantly doing bits and disinfecting everything all the time.

This plan would keep schools open longer and go some way to solving the elephant in the room, we don't have qualified teachers.

Sorry space is obviously still and issue. I can only see re-purposing rooms, using PE hall, resource rooms and anything else. For some schools this will still not be enough. Portacabins then maybe? Or TY in half days? I'm stuck with that one, it will be very different depending on the school.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭F5500

Sorry space is obviously still and issue. I can only see re-purposing rooms, using PE hall, resource rooms and anything else. For some schools this will still not be enough. Portacabins then maybe? Or TY in half days? I'm stuck with that one, it will be very different depending on the school.

Portacabins need a basic foundation laid under them and plumbed/wired so any school getting them sorted would have to have been sorting that since early in the summer.

Finding/making extra space will be a large obstacle for most schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Did anyone hear Josepha Madigan's interview with Philip Boucher Hayes this evening?? He asked her 3 times what was a school to do if and when they had a positive case. Not Once did she answer the question bar saying it was up to each school to decide on that? Can this actually be correct?? She mentioned that each school would have a Covid response plan that was unique to them! So we are effectively on our own!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,418 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

F5500 wrote: »
    Portacabins need a basic foundation laid under them and plumbed/wired so any school getting them sorted would have to have been sorting that since early in the summer.

Also and someone tell me if I have this wrong but don't they need planning permission as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

And that's just one year group. What about the maths teacher who has 5 other year groups to teach that day. You can't have them do 12periods in the day... Or be in 2 locations at once..

Well, the way I was thinking it would work for the teacher would be: (Let's say they are History)

9.00 - 9.30 1st YR HISTORY (Students 1-15)
    9.35 - 10.05 5th YR HISTORY (Students 1-15)
    10.10 - 10.40 3rd YR HISTORY (Students 1-15)
    11.00 - 11.30 2nd YR HISTORY (Students 1-15)
    LUNCH/CLEANING
    12.45 - 13.15 1st YR HISTORY (Students 16-30)
    13.20 - 13:50 5th YR HISTORY (Students 16-30)
    13:55 - 14:25 3rd YR HISTORY (Students 16-30)
    14:30 - 15:00 2nd YR HISTORY (Students 16-30)
    CLEANING

I didn't think there would be an overlap of teacher with the plan to be honest, but maybe I've missed something. It would however mean significantly reduced contact time (you'd be only seeing 4 of your class groups each day and only for 30mins, whereas before you might have seen 6 for 40mins) but I think we would all just have to accept that.

• Advertisement

F5500 wrote: »

I think it really is, Another option is staggering times more severely to have students overlapping in classes for less time but it would be very disruptive.

So start a 8.30 until 12.30
    Then 12.30 til 4.30

I find it hard to know how many schools will face this. I think we can just about make a timetable work in our school by loosing all art rooms, library, canteen, all resource and BFL and extra teacher space. It will need very tight timetabling and options will have to run with at least one practical room we cant repurposed being an option, so woodwork or engineering being used for their purpose or for the option.

Th reason I put the LC options at the end of the day for LC class was so the JC rooms would be available as they would be gone home. I think senior cycle options will be very difficult to find enough rooms for. 4 classes of 25-30 could be in 7 or 8 options depending on the school so options at the end of the day means the largest movement for senior cycle will happen after the junior cycle are gone home. Tight turnaround for cleaning though

I've been trying to think through the worst bottle neck for room allocation, like an option bands need to be timetable carefully. Core classes like maths being spit then need a room, again if they could be timetabled before the senior cycle are in for JC that would help. All movement can;t be stopped but even trying to minimising it has so many knockons

Sammy2012 wrote: »
    Did anyone hear Josepha Madigan's interview with Philip Boucher Hayes this evening?? He asked her 3 times what was a school to do if and when they had a positive case. Not Once did she answer the question bar saying it was up to each school to decide on that? Can this actually be correct?? She mentioned that each school would have a Covid response plan that was unique to them! So we are effectively on our own!

We sure are. Anything goes wrong we as a school will be on the hook for it.

We sure are. Anything goes wrong we as a school will be on the hook for it.

Thats it! They have no plans in place at all and if it wasn't so serious it would be laughable. My husband plays GAA and they had a squad member come into contact with a positive case recently. All training cancelled until the squad member received his test results. They were negative so training could proceed as normal but no plan at all for ourselves and our kids.

Thats it! They have no plans in place at all and if it wasn't so serious it would be laughable. My husband plays GAA and they had a squad member come into contact with a positive case recently. All training cancelled until the squad member received his test results. They were negative so training could proceed as normal but no plan at all for ourselves and our kids.

To quote what the Don thinks of Dr. Birx, pathetic.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

The €376 million package includes:

€53 million for an additional 1080 teachers

€84.7 million so schools can employ replacement teaching, sna and admin staff

€41.2 million for primary subs

€40 million for additional supervision post primary
    Min 1 release day for principal per week

There are no extra teachers -even if you could find one- for primary schools .

Isreal are saying now, after the disaster that a max of 18 will be allowed in class. Staggered return, with only primary returning first.

They've learned their lesson

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

The marquee could be the teachers staff room. The teachers staff room the satellite room

Some of them are getting €143 on top of thier normal pay to move tables

Presuming the school has a staffroom. Along with the space for the marquee, the isolation rooms etc.

There are no extra teachers -even if you could find one- for primary schools .

Ahh sure no need for teachers, just Garda vet anyone and let them off into the schools.

Where there is a suspected case of COVID-19 in a school, the COVID-19 Response Plan Guidance also sets out steps schools should take as follows:
    • Bring the person to the designated isolation area available in each school;
    • Arrangements to contact parents/guardians in the event of a suspected case in a
    pupil/student;
    • Facilitate the person remaining in isolation if they cannot go home immediately;
    • Supporting the making of arrangements for transport home or if they are too unwell
    to go home to contact 999 or 112 to advise it is a COVID-19 suspected case;
    • Carrying out an assessment of the incident to determine follow up actions; and
    • Arrangements for the appropriate cleaning of the isolation and work areas.

Where there is a suspected or confirmed case of COVID-19 amongst school staff or pupils, schools need to maintain both staff and pupil confidentiality at all times and must
    follow the instructions of HSE Public Health.

HSE Public Health will:
    • inform any staff/parents or students who come into close contact with a diagnosed case via the contact tracing process;
    • contact all relevant persons where a diagnosis of COVID-19 is made; and
    • advise on the appropriate action, on a case-by-case basis, that should be taken vis-à-vis the operation of the school.

• Advertisement

Isreal are saying now, after the disaster that a max of 18 will be allowed in class. Staggered return, with only primary returning first.

They've learned their lesson

That could very well be us in a couple of months time!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement