Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part V - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,929 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I can't believe someone dismisses the importance of a functioning economy. We all have our opinions, but that's bananas tbh

Ah I'm assuming the poster may not have been old enough during the recession 10 years ago, or was sheltered by his parents income perhaps.

Again, I'm not being insulting but there is a whole generation now who were kids a decade ago.

I feel old! :D

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Ah I'm assuming the poster may not have been old enough during the recession 10 years ago, or was sheltered by his parents income perhaps.

Again, I'm not being insulting but there is a whole generation now who were kids a decade ago.

Bet you holidayed in Mosney haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I've come through two recessions and have seen the cuts that are part and parcel of same. Caused lots of bad outcomes for lots of people.
    Yeah I 'm old to. Have a son who was in single digits during the last one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

brookers wrote: »
    Is the economy that really important, just throwing it out there, like im not going to benefit from a good economy, I hear all this talk from people and I just wonder where is it going to benefit them, I assume if you are in business, yes it would be good, but for the vast majority of people, a good economy means, people driving around in cars they cant afford, living with sky high mortgages and awake at night time trying to figure out ways to send their children to private school.
    Joke post of the year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,638 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Indo article popped up on the phone this evening. Apologies if already posted

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/ireland-to-escape-a-second-wave-of-covid-19-says-nobel-prize-winning-scientist-39416411.html

Premium article so I can't see the full thing but interesting. Here's an expert, a Nobel Prize winning expert at that, who seems to have been right before and is seemingly going against the fear and whataboutery that's being used to justify masks and the mess that is the schools to name but two.

I wonder will he be so easily dismissed as the rest of us who aren't buying into the doomsday scenarios?

I don't know how people can take what Michael Levitt says seriously anymore. Fair enough, he's a Nobel prize winner, but that doesn't preclude him from being wrong. He's been wrong quite a lot. It was all just going to go away of it's own accord according to him. The resurgence of numbers in the US and, now parts of Europe clearly show that to be total BS. Even in that article - someone has posted the entire thing over in the main thread - the maths he uses to make claims about Ireland are way off and don't stack up.

I'm sure he means well, but I wouldn't be taking what he says as gospel. Exhibit A:

https://m.jpost.com/Israel-News/Nobel-laureate-Israel-will-have-no-more-than-ten-coronavirus-deaths-621407

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭Polar101

Arghus wrote: »
    I don't know how people can take what Michael Levitt says seriously anymore.

I'm very skeptical, but I'd love for him to be right. It sounds great for Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,638 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Polar101 wrote: »
    I'm very skeptical, but I'd love for him to be right. It sounds great for Ireland.

It sounds great: a Nobel laureate saying everything is going to be tickety boo. But if you read the Indo article some of his sums are extremely questionable, his conclusions daft and some of his advice is, in my opinion, mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭GocRh

'Portuguese police disperse groups of young Irish holidaymakers'

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/portuguese-police-disperse-groups-of-young-irish-holidaymakers-1.4320267?mode=amp

Disgraceful behaviour. Hopefully those on the PUP will have their payments suspended.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

GocRh wrote: »

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/portuguese-police-disperse-groups-of-young-irish-holidaymakers-1.4320267?mode=amp

Disgraceful behaviour. Hopefully those on the PUP will have their payments suspended.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Glenomra

Within the next few months there will be a big divergence in society between those who want severe state control over people's behaviour and those who want the freedom to live their lives with some semblance of previous normality. Currently the lockdown community have the controls in media, government circles etc. Every aspect of behaviour that they regard as deviant provokes an angry response, initially online followed up by the gardai. Take last night's gathering of young people in kilkee. Over exuberant but little different from many concerts, functions etc. People rushed to call the guards with arrests made and politicians condemning heavily. 'Scobes' from limerick were blamed. In fact the young people were native Clare youngsters from 'normal ' families. Many people, not just young people, are becoming fed up with the zealots. The pendulum is swinging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,467 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Fear mongering doesnt work on the youth.

Especially so when the virus is of minimal danger to them.

I like to see the little bit of revolt, was getting worried about what would occur during the next flu season regarding lockdowns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Take last night's gathering of young people in kilkee
    I have no time for big groups of kids hanging around but it has to be said, what did people think was going to happen? We've taken everything away from them, what did people think kids were going to do?

Its like this rubbish with schools, pods and bubbles and all that. Its all Bolloxology that will last about a day before the kids start being kids and start mixing again.

The government really needs to stop reacting to the media and start implementing serious plans instead of ineffectual showpiece measures that achieve nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

one unnamed teenage Irish holidaymaker said he and his friends came to the Algarve every year. When asked how many of his friends were there, he responded: “Like maybe 50”.
    It just shows how low a once decent newspaper has become, I'd take the Sun or Star more seriously than this sanctimonious rag!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

The shocking part for me is you read the Times. Daily Star level of rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭growleaves

Glenomra wrote: »
    Within the next few months there will be a big divergence in society between those who want severe state control over people's behaviour and those who want the freedom to live their lives with some semblance of previous normality. Currently the lockdown community have the controls in media, government circles etc. Every aspect of behaviour that they regard as deviant provokes an angry response, initially online followed up by the gardai. Take last night's gathering of young people in kilkee. Over exuberant but little different from many concerts, functions etc. People rushed to call the guards with arrests made and politicians condemning heavily. 'Scobes' from limerick were blamed. In fact the young people were native Clare youngsters from 'normal ' families. Many people, not just young people, are becoming fed up with the zealots. The pendulum is swinging.

What's so mad is the layering of assumptions. One set of unproven hypotheses (social distancing, lockdown) are touted as a solution to another set of unproven hypotheses (projections of millions dead). Unprecedented control and demonisation ('culling the elderly') are then generated from this extremely dubious set-up.

• Advertisement

The shocking part for me is you read the Times. Daily Star level of rubbish.

Agreed the IT isn't great and have been very biased blindly defending the government. Not my only source of news though.

I understand some Portuguese and watched the original interview online (link below). IT's reporting in this case is accurate. There was a large group of mostly Brits and and a few Irish as well. A Irish lad was interviewed. According to the Portuguese media this is a common occurrence in the Algarve.

https://www.rtp.pt/noticias/pais/ingleses-e-irlandeses-festas-ate-altas-horas-em-desafio-as-autoridades-em-almancil_v1248597

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭amandstu

What is the story with UK visitors ? Are they expected to quarantine on arrival in the Republic?

Not mandatory but expected ,is that it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

''severe state control'' is quite hysterical language for a few restrictions and advisories aimed at protecting people (from themselves in many cases).

You think house parties are fine because young people are 'fed up with the zealots', many would see them as grossly irresponsible, but not to worry as no doubt our severe state controls will see them whisked off to the gulag in no time. :rolleyes:

amandstu wrote: »
    What is the story with UK visitors ? Are they expected to quarantine on arrival in the Republic?

GB visitors (not UK as that would include NI) are expected to restrict their movements. NI is exempt.
    Quarantine advice (or self isolation as it was called) was changed to restrict movements in early July.
    There is no quarantine advice for those arriving in the Republic, even for travelers arriving from hotspots like the US.

It’s a very tricky situation. For whatever reason, a huge number of our population believe it is really easy to catch Covid and also believe that it kills people of all ages in large numbers.

These people also tend to believe that Covid will cause brain damage, heart failure, loss of limbs etc. They are literally petrified.

I absolutely despise these restrictions. They are completely unnecessary and unfair to the huge percentage of the population that are not at risk.

But I’d be reluctant to actually take any real action because ultimately people are just petrified of getting sick.

However, as you say, I can see tension arising in the months ahead. Enough will eventually be enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

It’s a very tricky situation. For whatever reason, a huge number of our population believe it is really easy to catch Covid and also believe that it kills people of all ages in large numbers.

These people also tend to believe that Covid will cause brain damage, heart failure, loss of limbs etc. They are literally petrified.

I absolutely despise these restrictions. They are completely unnecessary and unfair to the huge percentage of the population that are not at risk.

But I’d be reluctant to actually take any real action because ultimately people are just petrified of getting sick.

However, as you say, I can see tension arising in the months ahead. Enough will eventually be enough.

Have you been living under a rock?

It does spread easily and nearly a million people have died from it

After the recent positive tests I think we need more restrictions to help curb this virus

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Have you been living under a rock?

It does spread easily and nearly a million people have died from it

After the recent positive tests I think we need more restrictions to help curb this virus

Only 694000 have died so far in a world of nearly 8 billion people. That’s a very low death rate thankfully.

We don’t have the resources to keep funding these restrictions.

The only thing keeping us going at the moment is a loan of billions of euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭amandstu

GB visitors (not UK as that would include NI) are expected to restrict their movements. NI is exempt.
    Quarantine advice (or self isolation as it was called) was changed to restrict movements in early July.
    There is no quarantine advice for those arriving in the Republic, even for travelers arriving from hotspots like the US.
    What does "restrict their movements" entail?

It is not just social distancing is it?

EDIT I have found this

“Stay in your hotel or stay in your guesthouse. Now is not the time to be exploring Ireland,” Glynn said.

from here
    https://www.thejournal.ie/travel-hse-tourists-visitors-ireland-quarantine-government-5152172-Jul2020/

Seems to clear it up.

What does "restrict their movements" entail?

It is not just social distancing is it?

EDIT I have found this

“Stay in your hotel or stay in your guesthouse. Now is not the time to be exploring Ireland,” Glynn said.

from here
    https://www.thejournal.ie/travel-hse-tourists-visitors-ireland-quarantine-government-5152172-Jul2020/

Seems to clear it up.

The HSE website details what it means. You are allowed to go out for essential groceries and also allowed to go out for exercise.

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/managing-coronavirus-at-home/if-you-live-with-someone-who-has-coronavirus.html#restrict

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

What a strange response. What are your thoughts on the economy collapsing? Nothing I guess.
    That post is about as useful as your other contributions to this thread.

Try harder.

Clubs dont keep the economy going, if anything clubs are in the way out. Alot gone out of dublin over the last 20 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

Even if people are young, they have caught this disease. Myself though I have no underlying conditions, am worried I would catch it and pass it on to friend, relative or stranger who is high risk. Thats me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bettyoleary

Arghus wrote: »
    I guess it comes down to what they think is important and unavoidable and what can be sacrificed if needs be.

I would say kids going to school is important and people going to work to make a living is also important.

Going to the pub is less essential, in my view.
    I agree with you totally but if your looking at it from an economic angle, pubs would be best to re open. Its a huge amount of our GDP. Schools are also important but the fact of it is. online teaching can be done and its debatable wether or not this is actually a better way of teaching. We dont have bullying for a start. We dont have distraction, peer pressure. Putting teachers at risk ETC ETC. Kids can meet up outside school. Its proven outside areas are less risk. Kids can meet up with friends, sports , outside. Why are we going to invest billions into opening schools to close them again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

Nothing related to covid guidelines is mandatory at the moment.

What are you asking about here , the vaccine or the 90 min turn around tests??? Or is it the people from the north crossing the border???

What are you asking about here , the vaccine or the 90 min turn around tests??? Or is it the people from the north crossing the border???
    Just wondering because I dont see anyone here contributing much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I agree with you totally but if your looking at it from an economic angle, pubs would be best to re open. Its a huge amount of our GDP. Schools are also important but the fact of it is. online teaching can be done and its debatable wether or not this is actually a better way of teaching. We dont have bullying for a start. We dont have distraction, peer pressure. Putting teachers at risk ETC ETC. Kids can meet up outside school. Its proven outside areas are less risk. Kids can meet up with friends, sports , outside. Why are we going to invest billions into opening schools to close them again.

What about working parents ? They need to get back to school end of.... what are they thinking? Keep them out of school for years potentially? Its so typically irish, think there will be some simple pain free solution , there isnt.

What are we going to do ? Keep all pubs closed and schools shut to avoid one or two deaths a day ? Wouldnt surprise me here , but its madness ...

Idbatterim wrote: »
    What about working parents ? They need to get back to school end of.... what are they thinking? Keep them out of school for years potentially? Its so typically irish, think there will be some simple pain free solution , there isnt.

What are we going to do ? Keep all pubs closed and schools shut to avoid one or two deaths a day ? Wouldnt surprise me here , but its madness ...

Exactly.. as I just said in the masks thread, a much needed sense of perspective of where we are with this virus, its real impact, and our responses is badly needed for some.

People WILL die unfortunately. Just as they do from a myriad of other things every day. It's unfortunate, it's sad for those involved, but it is also part of life I'm afraid.

CV-19 hysteria has led to many forgetting that it seems and it's because the response and communication has been led by medical professionals whose very reason for being in those roles is to "do no harm" and eradicate the virus... something we ALL want, but which needs to be balanced against many other factors too (economic, social, mental health, practicalities etc).

This has been lost along the way and we badly need to take a step back as a country and look at it in perspective.

I think you have a very unusual mix here. A very conservative country, still run by fear and scaremongering. Absolutely useless and spineless weak politicians. A one voice media who's only goal now is clickbait or eyeball bait.... i.e advertising euro etc ...

The uk and us were far too gun ho. We are the opppsite. I see covid like a pendulum. If you want to lower the covid, you raise the damage elsewhere and vice verca...

Sunday's independent reporting outdoor crowds of 500 will be approved on Tuesday to start 10th August, good news for sports fans there.

Nightclubs as expected will not get the go ahead (how could they).

Pubs are expected to see some sort of movement towards being approved with strict guidelines but the last few days have shaken confidence a little, no final decision has been made yet nor will it be until Tuesday at the earliest after they review the weekend numbers and early next week, and there looks like there will be a differentiation made between rural and city pubs, what that might be hasn't been expanded on but I'd assume it'll be opening hours as this was mentioned yesterday.

Independent also reporting guidelines for pubs without food will be closely monitored when they do open

Pubs should only open once the under 45's get their act together with these increases in positive tests

I think you have a very unusual mix here. A very conservative country, still run by fear and scaremongering. Absolutely useless and spineless weak politicians. A one voice media who's only goal now is clickbait or eyeball bait.... i.e advertising euro etc ...

The uk and us were far too gun ho. We are the opppsite. I see covid like a pendulum. If you want to lower the covid, you raise the damage elsewhere and vice verca...

... we are not anymore.

The rest of your post I'd agree with. A spineless, sheepish population and a media who won't question the Government narrative on any issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Zero deaths in the last week, health officials are reported to be very concerned.

Am I right in saying that more homeless bodies have been found in Dublin recently than deaths from covid?

Zero deaths in the last week, health officials are reported to be very concerned.

Am I right in saying that more homeless bodies have been found in Dublin recently than deaths from covid?

Zero deaths because our number of cases were low a few weeks ago. Cases going up right now, need to get them down to where they were.

Look at the trends in Europe

Zero deaths because our number of cases were low a few weeks ago. Cases going up right now, need to get them down to where they were.

Of course the cases are up , because there is more interaction! What did you expect to happen ? :rolleyes:

Our death rate was always tiny.

Then it became clear that the tiny death rate was WAY overstated.

Now that death rate has fallen off a cliff since the nursing home clusters were dealt with.

The restrictions and all of the hysteria around Covid is a joke at this point. A lot of us could see that from late April.

• Advertisement

Of course the cases are up , because there is more interaction! What did you expect to happen ? :rolleyes:

So only one group is having more interaction?

Dublin cases getting lower in % wise. No increase in interaction there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,384 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Yeah, the death-rates are tiny.

Half a dozen people in hospital and 350,000 people being paid not to work.

And there's still lads like yourself desperately trying to stoke the hysteria.

And that how it all begins. Cases first and then deaths.
    Not stoking hysteria, virus not bothering me.

Let's see where spain be in 10 days.

I hope you stamped your feet whilst you posted your comment. Its an outrage isnt it that its getting in your way? What are you going to do about all this govt money going to lay abouts???? And all the delusional scientists in the world who are living in cloud virus land???? And on top of that half the world has gone hysterical imagining some sort of virus that dosent exist. WOW mate what will you do?

statesaver wrote: »
    ... we are not anymore.

The rest of your post I'd agree with. A spineless, sheepish population and a media who won't question the Government narrative on any issue.

Oh we are very much still a conservative nation - it's why the public sat quietly while Leo and the previous Government abdicated responsibility to Dr Tony until even his own party shamed him into taking a more active role. There's only so much you can deflect by pointing at the Shinners and Lefties (neither of which I'd be!)

It's also why a deeply unpleasant culture has arisen where those who question the status quo as reported on RTE every night are attacked and ridiculed in online pile-on's and "dirty looks" in supermarkets if they're not "masked up" like the news told them to.

A few easy-win social referenda in the previous term (also to distract from the abdication of responsibilities in other areas) hasn't changed that. As for the media.. sure many of them are positioning for jobs as advisors/staffers to the Government as we have seen in the last few weeks with some of the moves.

We like to think we've come so far, but CV-19 has brought many of the same attitudes of the bad old days right out of the woodwork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,467 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

And all the delusional scientists in the world who are living in cloud virus land????

We are all in agreement here Betty, they are enjoying the new found stardom they have been given.

• Advertisement

Oh we are very much still a conservative nation - it's why the public sat quietly while Leo and the previous Government abdicated responsibility to Dr Tony until even his own party shamed him into taking a more active role. There's only so much you can deflect by pointing at the Shinners and Lefties (neither of which I'd be!

We like to think we've come so far, but CV-19 has brought many of the same attitudes of the bad old days right out of the woodwork.

... neither I am.

What attitudes ?

What conservative attitudes ?

Oh we are VERY comservative! Can any of you foresee a debate in the year 2020 on euthanasia here for example. We allow people live appalling lives, that we would put animals out of their misery for.. we are still so backwards , the likes of that subject even being broached, is a comedy notion!

If we were a naturally middle of the road country here , id have said fair play for the initially conservative approach.but the place is so beset by comservatism and fear , it was never going to pan out any other way.

Now that there are no deaths most days , whip up a frenzy about an obvious as fcuk increase number of infected. If cases dropped to zero, guaranteed theyd find a way to try keep the hysteria up! "Next pandemic could be hours away eveals """"""""""""expert"""""""""

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Pubs should only open once the under 45's get their act together with these increases in positive tests

The under 45s have got their act together. They are showing us the way in living with Covid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

The demographics have changed. The nursing homes are safe now.

Oh we are VERY comservative! Can any of you foresee a debate in the year 2020 on euthanasia here for example. We allow people live appalling lives, that we would put animals out of their misery for.. we are still so backwards , the likes of that subject even being broached, is a comedy notion!

If we were a naturally middle of the road country here , id have said fair play for the initially conservative approach.but the place is so beset by comservatism and fear , it was never going to pan out any other way.

Now that there are no deaths most days , whip up a frenzy about an obvious as fcuk increase number of infected. If cases dropped to zero, guaranteed theyd find a way to try keep the hysteria up! "Next pandemic could be hours away eveals """"""""""""expert"""""""""

What ?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement