Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part V - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

Our numbers actually appear to be going up since more started wearing masks.

I do wonder if they are actually worse. People can’t stop fidgeting and messing at them, scratching their faces etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,210 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I do wonder if they are actually worse. People can’t stop fidgeting and messing at them, scratching their faces etc.
    Nothing to do with places reopening, workplaces, shops, luas rammed, train same, buses at 50 percent no?

Masks have helped hugely in other countries they can definitely help here.

I will say some places are very lax now when it comes to limiting numbers, marks and Spencer's on Mary street was rammed yesterday I'd say 50 percent had masks, a few weeks back numbers allowed in shop were tiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,254 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

gmisk wrote: »
    Nothing to do with places reopening, workplaces, shops, luas rammed, train same, buses at 50 percent no?

Masks have helped hugely in other countries they can definitely help here.

I will say some places are very lax now when it comes to limiting numbers, marks and Spencer's on Mary street was rammed yesterday I'd say 50 percent had masks, a few weeks back numbers allowed in shop were tiny.

It seems people now want to go back a few phases so we can do without masks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,187 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Leroy42 wrote: »
    But lets us say that your devils advocate position is perfectly correct. To what end do you think the governments around the world are calling for facemasks to be worn? Do you really believe this is the start of a move to total control?

Why do you ask if I really believe that when I never said it in the first place? I am certainly not some whacko government control conspiracy theorist.

Why are masks being forced? Probably for the same reason we have queues at airport security, because such things have to be seen to be done regardless of their efficacy. Masks are an easy win, certainly easier than making other, harder decisions so you hear about masks when I would suggest they will make a negligible difference to future case load.

Wear masks but leave the airports open, how does that make any sense? Wear masks only after the death rate has fallen to near zero, is that logical?

pjohnson wrote: »
    It seems people now want to go back a few phases so we can do without masks again.

We have proof they are not needed. They didn’t help to flatten the curve. They haven’t helped since. Supermarket staff were fine without them.

More people have started masks and numbers are not dropping. They are actually increasing.

At best, they are ineffective. Possibly even worse if you keep touching your face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭AUDI20

One thing I noticed lately is the use of disposable masks. some are just putting them back in their pockets or trowing them in the front of their car and re using them again for their next visit to the shop etc. They are masking up as advised but I was talking to one person and they have been using the same disposal mask for the last two weeks, keeps it in the car for when needed. so in this situation I think masks could be ineffective

• Registered Users Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭pgj2015

We have proof they are not needed. They didn’t help to flatten the curve. They haven’t helped since. Supermarket staff were fine without them.

More people have started masks and numbers are not dropping. They are actually increasing.

At best, they are ineffective. Possibly even worse if you keep touching your face.

I just wear the same one which is a disposable one,have been wearing it 2 weeks now. most people i know are at the same because people look at you like you are Hitler if you dont have one on in a shop. better off not wearing one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭growleaves

I'll try to dig out the link later but some researchers think they increase viral load by trapping it at the front of the wearers' face.

As with most of these restrictions, it's truthfully an open question whether they are helpful, harmful or indifferent.

growleaves wrote: »
    I'll try to dig out the link later but some researchers think they increase viral load by trapping it at the front of the wearers' face.

As with most of these restrictions, it's truthfully an open question whether they are helpful, harmful or indifferent.

I do find it curious that numbers are increasing when that’s the only thing that has changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

I dont think they really make a difference either way. I only wear it to avoid hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,090 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Have heard pubs won’t be allowed open as scheduled

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Gael23 wrote: »

Heard from where ?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,911 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Gael23 wrote: »

****ing joke and pure speculation by the government who are too cowardly to open them up

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Penfailed

PTH2009 wrote: »
    ****ing joke and pure speculation by the government who are too cowardly to open them up

Speculation by the government? It's speculation posting on here that the pubs won't open unless there's actually factual information about it.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Polar101

I think you are just picking the numbers that support your argument, to make it look like the statistics show that. The reality is that there are no statistics (yet) that prove whether masks are useful or not in Ireland.

Certainly makes sense to use them on public transport, after social distancing rules were relaxed.

Thinking back now April/May and start/mid June were horrendous times . Places deserted, ques for supermarkets and general grim times

Since the 29th June life started to go bright away but we're after hitting a roadblock. Phase 4 needs to begin on the 10th Aug and let people enjoy the rest of the summer before schools go back

Christmas will fly in

• Registered Users Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Cant see pubs opening, if anything a step back could happen. Numbers are increasing and there is a growing number where we don't where they are coming from

Cant see pubs opening, if anything a step back could happen. Numbers are increasing and there is a growing number where we don't where they are coming from

If that’s the case I’d be expecting the government to shell out big money to ensure those businesses and their staff stay afloat while been forced to close for probably 6 months and god knows how much longer.

Wondering were the money is coming from as it is.

I shudder to think what the bill will be!

If that’s the case I’d be expecting the government to shell out big money to ensure those businesses and their staff stay afloat while been forced to close for probably 6 months and god knows how much longer.

Wondering were the money is coming from as it is.

I shudder to think what the bill will be!

Pubs that serve food were getting quieter last week.

We will pay the bill, sure nothing new and as I pay the higher bracket and it will hit us more but that's ok

• Registered Users Posts: 14,367 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I do find it curious that numbers are increasing when that’s the only thing that has changed.

No, the really big thing that has changed is that there are now more people out and about. That's the big reason numbers are increasing - more people=more interactions=more chance for the virus to spread.

• Advertisement

Arghus wrote: »
    No, the really big thing that has changed is that there are now more people out and about. That's the big reason numbers are increasing - more people=more interactions=more chance for the virus to spread.

The main worry is some people aren't stepping forward to get the test or self isolating.

Our neighbour is a taxi driver and even if pubs open he wont go back, that's the feeling from alot he said.

At the start of the year you'd laugh and call someone a lunatic if they suggested that for summer 2020 people would be wearing masks and that medical professionals would be dressed like something from a post apocalyptic film

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

PTH2009 wrote: »
    At the start of the year you'd laugh and call someone a lunatic if they suggested that for summer 2020 people would be wearing masks and that medical professionals would be dressed like something from a post apocalyptic film

Well it`s the new normal and is likely to stay the same for the next 6 to 9 months at a minimum so best get used to it.

Well it`s the new normal and is likely to stay the same for the next 6 to 9 months at a minimum so best get used to it.

Think we’ll be out of resources long before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Think we’ll be out of resources long before that.

The government seem desperate to get as many off welfare as humanly possible- now, there in lies a big conflict. You can’t have this “new normal” stuff with big swathes of the economy shuttered or under constant threat of being shut down without a massive welfare programme to support it.

road_high wrote: »
    The government seem desperate to get as many off welfare as humanly possible- now, there in lies a big conflict. You can’t have this “new normal” stuff with big swathes of the economy shuttered or under constant threat of being shut down without a massive welfare programme to support it.

What are the big swathes of the economy that are being shuttered? Expect for non-food pubs and entertainment? Fundamentally there is enough resource with what is operating at the moment to keep those impacted by those industries on welfare for a good few months more

• Registered Users Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭road_high

What are the big swathes of the economy that are being shuttered. Expect for non-food pubs and entertainment? Fundamentally there is enough resource with what is operating at the moment to keep those impacted by those industries on welfare

Travel and tourism- absolutely massive chunks of our economy. Not to mention events, weddings, shows. Open your eyes for gods sake. Just because most things are open on Main Street does not mean the economy more generally is operating at anything like normal. There a bit of a domestic bounce going on at the moment, but that won’t last.
    The spin off jobs from the airline industry are huge in Ireland right down to leasing, aircraft maintenance and components. Anyone who thinks the rest of the economy can keep these going indefinitely is frankly in la la land. I won’t be surprised to see lay offs in places where you’d never see them before

road_high wrote: »
    Travel and tourism- absolutely massive chunks of our economy. Not to mention events, weddings, shows. Open your eyes for gods sake. Just because most things are open on Main Street does not mean the economy more generally is operating at anything like normal. There a bit of a domestic bounce going on at the moment, but that won’t last.
    The spin off jobs from the airline industry are huge in Ireland right down to leasing, aircraft maintenance and components. Anyone who thinks the rest of the economy can keep these going indefinitely is frankly in la la land. I won’t be surprised to see lay offs in places where you’d never see them before

Main Street is operating. Wall Street is operating, albeit from workers' living rooms. Domestic tourism is booming. You are talking about stuff around the edges.

What are the big swathes of the economy that are being shuttered? Expect for non-food pubs and entertainment? Fundamentally there is enough resource with what is operating at the moment to keep those impacted by those industries on welfare for a good few months more

Pubs, clubs and entire entertainment industry. That’s a LOT of people. Also the airlines and the entire tourism sector.

Retail was closed for several months and is still not back fully. Restrictions on numbers in shops, masks, visors, no changing rooms = less customers.

Same issues for restaurants and pubs acting as restaurants. Social distancing etc equals less customers and sales down.

The CMO is saying tonight that restaurants should only have 50 people including staff.

Lots of office workers support these industries in some way, shape or form and will eventually be impacted. Some have already gotten pay cuts.

Difficult to see how the whole thing won’t eventually collapse.

• Advertisement

Pubs, clubs and entire entertainment industry. That’s a LOT of people. Also the airlines and the entire tourism sector.

Retail was closed for several months and is still not back fully. Restrictions on numbers in shops, masks, visors, no changing rooms = less customers.

Same issues for restaurants and pubs acting as restaurants. Social distancing etc equals less customers and sales down.

The CMO is saying tonight that restaurants should only have 50 people including staff.

Lots of office workers support these industries in some way, shape or form and will eventually be impacted. Some have already gotten pay cuts.

Difficult to see how the whole thing won’t eventually collapse.

I dont disagree with you. But that is different to saying that "vast swathes of the economy are shuttered". I believe that we have the resources to deliver social welfare to those impacted by what you describe, well into next year

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement