Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are dogs being stolen in your area?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Chalk marks spotted outside houses on main road yesterday, and on my road this morning. They're getting closer...

It'll be the "skid" marks next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,020 ✭✭✭✭anewme

BailMeOut wrote: »

Some owners have reported that the Gardai "didn't want to know" so this will have an impact on how crimes are reported and logged.

Given negative feedback the reporting system has been amended or publicised within the last week that any dog reported stolen will be given a pulse number. This was not done previously or owners were not aware they were allowed demand it. What is very clear is that some Gardai are fantastic and very aware of what is going on and take it seriously, but others not so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

anewme wrote: »
    I'd say very well taken care of..but clearly missing their owner and probably pining.

I dont know if you are following the story of Topsey and Turvy, but the family have today issued a statement to say that their Turvy was found in the same group of dogs as that little dog in Mallow. The same man had both, which he was trying to sell.

Reasons like he didnt know their dog was stolen when he was trying to sell it....He alleges he bought Turvy off his cousin who got Turvy off a man who swopped her for a pony.

How are these people getting away with this?

Prosecuting the cases is going to be very difficult. Unless his cousins uncles friends mothers parrot is gonna rat them all out in a 1980s British comedy sketch fashion, how do you prove any of it absent CCTV or similar evidence?

The solution is perhaps to mandate in law with harsh penalties that you must follow a proper chain of custody with a dog to have it in your possession or else it's assumed stolen and you get a big slap.

But go back to the point about the money that the dogs are being sold for. For many of the individuals involved I'd say they're the free legal aid brigade with a hard story and a dozen or more previous convictions anyway. The cost/benefit ratio of stealing dogs is pretty favourable and sure if they weren't stealing dogs it'd be copper wires or just plain burglary when we all get out of the house.

People buying dogs have a major responsibility and culpability here, too. Check for proper papers and don't go doing deals you know are smelling fishy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

There is a group Do Better Done Deal, that report each ad that breaches the guidelines.

Glad to hear it. A disgusting site, owned by Distilled Media, who also own Boards. Adverts, also used to be full of dogs for sale ads, even though it was against their rules. I'm not sure how well their "adoption" section is policed now as I no longer use the site but it was incredibly lacking not so long ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

There is a group Do Better Done Deal, that report each ad that breaches the guidelines.

I’ve reported 3 adds on donedeal in the past for counterfeit golf clubs. They don’t give a fcuk.

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    I’ve reported 3 adds on donedeal in the past for counterfeit golf clubs. They don’t give a fcuk.

This group is very vocal and has a good presence on social media so they need to take them seriously and appear to be doing so.

They have removed dogs "sneaked" into categories such as Sheds and Gardens etc.

11 Puppies and 2 adult dogs originating in ireland seized at Scotland docks and returned to Ulster. Joint operation Ireland and Scotland. Seized in Ferry disembarking Scotland

Four of the puppies have since died of Parvo Virus. No paperwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭katiek102010

11 Puppies and 2 adult dogs originating in ireland seized at Scotland docks and returned to Ulster. Joint operation Ireland and Scotland. Seized in Ferry disembarking Scotland

Four of the puppies have since died of Parvo Virus. No paperwork.

There is a high chance some of the pups may be daisy's. Stolen a month ago, too you to be chipped. Daisy's microchip was cut out and a muzzle glued to her mouth. Daisy's owners are looking into it.

• Advertisement

Just looking through done deal.

See one dog that has a microchip number listed but in the details it says it’s unregistered. Are they two different things?

See one dog that has a microchip number listed but in the details it says it’s unregistered. Are they two different things?

Yes when scanned the chip has to be registered by law. Chips when scanned, to be legal, must tell you who we current owner is.

Eg. Breeder puts chip in and chip should give breeders details when scanned.
    When a person buys the pup the chip details must be changed to the new owner, this can be done at the vet and the new owner must get a certificate in the post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

YFlyer wrote: »
    In Limerick City a number of years back a dog went missing. Number of hours later Alderman Michael Kelly got the dog back from a halting site in Newport.

For a smallish fee I'm sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭The Unbearables

For a smallish fee I'm sure.

Naturally boss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,515 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Tilikum17 wrote: »

A mass public campaign to shame them into it is the way to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Two neighbours had some form of markings on their houses over the last two days, one fella would be big into hunting and would keep one or two springers. That would be the wrong house to be breaking into it. I wouldn't believe everything you read but it's definitely happening. I live fairly rural, normally if theres break-ins or robberies around here it's always the same ethnic minority causing it

• Advertisement

PsychoPete wrote: »
    Two neighbours had some form of markings on their houses over the last two days, one fella would be big into hunting and would keep one or two springers. That would be the wrong house to be breaking into it. I wouldn't believe everything you read but it's definitely happening. I live fairly rural, normally if theres break-ins or robberies around here it's always the same ethnic minority causing it

Seriously hope he's waiting with his hunting equipment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Heard 3 dogs were stolen in this area today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Heard 3 dogs were stolen in this area today

Wheres this area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Well it seems someone in the neighborhood actually caught a man lurking in the bushes who ran and drove away when he was spotted. They found the same chalk marks on their fence as I washed of our wall.

I actually don't care if there is myth about markings going on but I do wonder if the talk of dog theft didn't give ideas to ordinary hard working criminals who find it harder to break into houses because people are working from home. Frankly where we live I think it unlikely that markings are done as a prank. We are not exactly isolated but marking houses with dogs would actually take some dedication bored kids usually don't have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 263 ✭✭Fleetwoodmac

Where would one get a dog tattooed?!

Greyhounds ears tattooed with reg number. It's a regular occurrence to find greyhounds who've been abandoned with ear cut off.
    We live in a very rural area, neighbours gates had the tie wraps, they have a king Charles. What doesn't make sense to me is dog is never in front garden, back is hidden from view and dog is driven to park for walks. Rumours of drones being used but I think that's far fetched.

• Advertisement

Greyhounds ears tattooed with reg number. It's a regular occurrence to find greyhounds who've been abandoned with ear cut off.
    We live in a very rural area, neighbours gates had the tie wraps, they have a king Charles. What doesn't make sense to me is dog is never in front garden, back is hidden from view and dog is driven to park for walks. Rumours of drones being used but I think that's far fetched.

Guards advise you not to advertise going on holiday on social media. The same burglars who can't rob houses these days might be snooping for high value dogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Any dog can be microchipped. The vets do it for you 2 minutes job.You then log your details online to match the chip.
    Registration For breeds is for pedigree dogs and the crowd that registers them is the Irish kennel club.for registration both parents must also be registered and have papers.
    If a dog is for sale but is unregistered it’s 99 percent of the time a dodgey fcuker selling it that couldn’t register it because the parents aren’t pure bred and registered but he will talk sh1te about how well bred it is.
    A fancy mongerel at pedigree prices and a gullible fool willing to buy it.
    If they’re unregistered they aren’t worth a quarter of the asking price

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Welshprince

The Guards were on my estate yesterday, investigating chalk marked gates of the houses that have dogs. The gates were allegedly marked by a traveller selling packs of pillows. I saw and spoke to the Guard myself as it was noticed my gate was one of those marked, yes I have a dog.
    People are a bit jittery as it would be almost as bad as having a child taken.

Done deal have closed dogs for sale section

Done Deal suspends sale of dogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,515 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

"Unfortunately we believe removing the section may push activity offline and lead to reduced transparency when it comes to advertising or selling dogs"

Yeah like ye were already doing all you could.

Adverts.ie went dog free as well.

In terms of "pushing it offline", to be honest this will only further drive culpability onto people who are looking for and buying these dogs. If you have to go to "ad" sites that also have listings for prostitutes and drugs then you know full well you're probably not buying from dog loving quakers. The wilful blindness of many people purchasing a dog, who would later be devastated if anything happened to their cherished family pet, is mind boggling.

Hopefully the gardai and port authorities now will keep extra eyes out for attempted exports to the UK, where dog prices have also shot up.

If the dogs are being transported to the UK. Would it be gumtree rather than DoneDeal that they’d be using?

If the dogs are being transported to the UK. Would it be gumtree rather than DoneDeal that they’d be using?

There's several channels it seems. Dogs being found in the port both going out and coming in - ie, stolen in the UK and brought here or vice versa. But local dogs are also being re-sold in Ireland. Also puppies bred from stolen dogs (or just plain stolen). There are pure domestic sales, ie lifted here and re-sold here.

There's no real excuse for buying a dog that doesn't have proper papers. Every dog should be chipped and the chip registered to the breeder, who is verified. If it's a second hand dog, so to speak, the owners should have papers linked to a chip. If you're out purchasing and these things don't line up, you're culpable in trafficking stolen goods (let alone someone else's treasured pet) and perpetuating the misery for these poor things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,276 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Possibly local mole.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

DOnedeal dogs seems to be back up with one ad on it so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

"Unfortunately we believe removing the section may push activity offline and lead to reduced transparency when it comes to advertising or selling dogs"

Yeah like ye were already doing all you could.

Adverts.ie went dog free as well.

Both owned by Distilled Media. Someones been reading Boards and/or checking which way the wind is blowing at the moment. I'll be shocked if they don't revert back once the headlines start dying down.

You have to wonder what will happen until they do, lots of FB dog ads maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,918 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Where would one get a dog tattooed?!

You wouldn't legally. It would come under the category of unnecessary surgery like tail docking & is now illegal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

That Topsy & Turvy FB page have posted redacted screenshots of the man they have been told had both dogs.

Fairly easy to find his page based on what they've posted, and there is absolutely no surprise at his surname or the surnames of his mates entering his Rolex raffle. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately he is from.a community that the Gardaí are scared to crack down on, so he'll continue stealing dogs knowing he's immune from any reprecussions.

Det Sgt Reidy says there has been “an increase, absolutely, in dog thefts” in the region since lockdown. “We had 14 dogs stolen from a single breeder. And we had up to 50 dogs stolen in the Limerick area alone in the past few weeks. The price of all dogs has gone through the roof in recent times. It’s become a very lucrative industry.”

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/inside-the-dog-trafficking-trade-after-drugs-it-s-guns-then-pups-1.4324714

Discodog wrote: »
    Det Sgt Reidy says there has been “an increase, absolutely, in dog thefts” in the region since lockdown. “We had 14 dogs stolen from a single breeder. And we had up to 50 dogs stolen in the Limerick area alone in the past few weeks. The price of all dogs has gone through the roof in recent times. It’s become a very lucrative industry.”

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/inside-the-dog-trafficking-trade-after-drugs-it-s-guns-then-pups-1.4324714

The Gardai would want to exercise some joined up thinking on this one. I believe they have now said that a pulse number will issue to every stolen dog reported. Their press office recently issued a statement saying no increase in dog thefts and 67 dogs reported stolen in total in ROI in the period January to June.

The Gardai would want to exercise some joined up thinking on this one. I believe they have now said that a pulse number will issue to every stolen dog reported. Their press office recently issued a statement saying no increase in dog thefts and 67 dogs reported stolen in total in ROI in the period January to June.

The problem is that, as I think you said earlier, the Gardai have been so hit & miss when it come to anything to do with animal welfare. Then there is the problem that so many people allow their dogs to stray & don't microchip.

I became personally aware years ago when a group, from a particular community, approached me in Kerry & "offered" to buy my Saluki. At one point one of them was trying to pull the lead away from me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭The Unbearables

Discodog wrote: »
    The problem is that, as I think you said earlier, the Gardai have been so hit & miss when it come to anything to do with animal welfare. Then there is the problem that so many people allow their dogs to stray & don't microchip.

I became personally aware years ago when a group, from a particular community, approached me in Kerry & "offered" to buy my Saluki. At one point one of them was trying to pull the lead away from me.

Haven't seen a stray dog in years. It was common place years ago but very rare now.

• Advertisement

Haven't seen a stray dog in years. It was common place years ago but very rare now.

Come to the West. When I say stray I don't mean homeless. These are dogs that the owners allow to wander. I could of taken a beautiful pedigree Labrador - she spends time with me every week & we aren't certain where she lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Best to own a mongrel as I presume only pedigree breeds are desirable to the dognapper ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,676 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

...no, just hysterical looders posting pics everywhere of dogs, and white vans acting suspiciously...…

Fupping idiots ….

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

Mongrels have been used to bait fighting dogs & have been taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Barney224

My dog's a mongrel, but she's as cute as fúck! I'd steal her if I didn't already own her.

greenspurs wrote: »
    ...no, just hysterical looders posting pics everywhere of dogs, and white vans acting suspiciously...…

Fupping idiots ….

Tell that to the families of Pippa, Charlie, Dora, Molly, Sally and many more stolen from their secure back gardens, even in one instance just after being let out for a pee.

We have a huge increase in vans and cars (of all colours) not from the area, not Irish registered in many cases, just snooping around. In some instances, they have a approached people about their dogs (that's a lovely dog, male or female, blah blah blah).

These people are up to no good and people are right to be suspicious of them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Errashareesh

I'm not one for believing things about vans going around but theft of dogs has clearly increased lately. Not sure why a minority are so above acknowledging it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

The dog Molly was stolen by a neighbour and sold on for a pittance to someone who could smuggle her out of the country. By the time Molly's family traced the connection the dog was already in the UK.

Agree that there can be pearl-clutching hysteria on social media but there is a nugget of truth and that nugget is that dogs are currency for the people who can take them and move them without getting caught.

I agree with those who seek tougher punishments for those who steal dogs. I know the dogs I've had over the years were considered part of the family and not just some dumb animals.

I also agree that in certain hard-hit areas that someone rightly or wrongly is going to catch a bullet if seen acting suspiciously or trespassing. I don't condone it, guns terrify me but they are legally held by many.

mud wrote: »
    The dog Molly was stolen by a neighbour and sold on for a pittance to someone who could smuggle her out of the country. By the time Molly's family traced the connection the dog was already in the UK.

Ive read Molly's owners indirect response to the local thief and it is very blunt, direct and cutting. It is clear they know exactly who it is.

This is the person who needs to be held accountable for Molly and where the laws need to be tougher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Ive read Molly's owners indirect response to the local thief and it is very blunt, direct and cutting. It is clear they know exactly who it is.

This is the person who needs to be held accountable for Molly and where the laws need to be tougher.

Agree 100% They are in my locality and everyone knows who did what. It's very sad.

Large Garda Operation has resulted in seizing 32 stolen dogs in Swords. Monetary value of dogs seized reported to be in excess of 120k. Time for CAB to get involved in what is clearly organised crime.

• Advertisement
Advertisement