Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are dogs being stolen in your area?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,173 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Steal anything eh?
    To quote Rodney from Only Fools and Horses: 'Boycie would scalp you if dandruff had a going rate'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

buried wrote: »
    That sounds like too much work for that crew. I live on the outskirts of a town, work from home for the last 20 years and I have never encountered this, or even heard anything about it.

It’s not really , a good gang would get 6-9 dogs a day , get an average of 150 a dig , minimum 900 between three , minimum 300 each per day . Wherever you live must have a garda station and some active gardai in it . Most towns and villages in rural Ireland have no garda station or token coverage so it’s easy for the dog thieves .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

I saw an ad recently for springer pups for 2000 sterling each!

Normal burglaries can’t take place as everyone is at home so the emphasis has shifted to dogs, easy money, no real consequences if caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭katiek102010

razorblunt wrote: »
    Any idea what happened to the breeder? You'd have to ask serious questions of someone that fights dogs, breed dogs for bait and / or fighting.

It was in the UK, yes they were arrested and yes they were gypsies

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

It was in the UK, yes they were arrested and yes they were gypsies

Sweet fúck all would have happened to them so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,212 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

These stickers were put on ESB boxes and of course it was the dog nappers that were doing it according to Samantha on Facebook.

3BAAE8F6-E187-42DC-AEF4-56FDCEDBB37F.jpeg

Since then ESB has said there workers were responsible for doing it.

razorblunt wrote: »
    Sweet fúck all would have happened to them so.

He was actually arrested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭RickDeckard

I posted this in Animals Sub Forum, but here is a PSA for Tramore Area:

I was at Saleens Beach, Waterford, 2 weeks ago. With my two dogs.

One dog in the van, my Husky chained to the bumper asleep in the sun with me sitting next to her. I have the two back doors of van open and am sitting there.

Very busy , car park was full of famlies , broad daylight.

2 Mad Max looking wild little girls appeard, going for the husky, and then thier Dad appeared behind the a few seconds later.

He was 6'4 plus, heavy set, broken nose, two black eyes. Obviously from a group of people who do no wrong on this country.

He then started quizzing me about the local geography - tides etc, while eyeballing my Husky continously.

I am a man of the world have have traveld all over the globe ,on my own, my insincts are well tuned.
    I sussed out he was trying to figure out if I was local or not, Im Irish, live in Tramore but have an English accent.

While he is talking to me he is eyeballing the contents of my van over my shoulder, I have a camper , kitted out.

He repeatedly asked me if I was on my own here. Then he starts smiling at me and telling me he is the the boxing club, As he was stepping nearer to my Dog.

Before he could react, I grabbed the Husky, literally threw here in the air into the back of the van, poor thing did not know what was happening.

I had myself and the dog in the van and slammed the back doors in his face and drove off, withing about 4 seconds, he was laughing , and swearing at me as I drove off.

He was going to take me Dog initally, when he saw my van, he was about to do me in and take everything. I am absoulty certian of this. Im an old wise dog myself.

I go to this beach often, but never again. .

A certian group of folks like to frolic lovingly with thier ponies daily on this beach. He was from that group.
    This is Saleens Beach Waterford. Be very very carefull with your dogs on that beach.

I think the multiple crisies we are in is effecting a certian group also and they are getting pretty bloody brazen.

This is my third negative encounter this year. My blood is boiling.

I posted this in Animals Sub Forum, but here is a PSA for Tramore Area:

I was at Saleens Beach, Waterford, 2 weeks ago. With my two dogs.

One dog in the van, my Husky chained to the bumper asleep in the sun with me sitting next to her. I have the two back doors of van open and am sitting there.

Very busy , car park was full of famlies , broad daylight.

2 Mad Max looking wild little girls appeard, going for the husky, and then thier Dad appeared behind the a few seconds later.

He was 6'4 plus, heavy set, broken nose, two black eyes. Obviously from a group of people who do no wrong on this country.

He then started quizzing me about the local geography - tides etc, while eyeballing my Husky continously.

I am a man of the world have have traveld all over the globe ,on my own, my insincts are well tuned.
    I sussed out he was trying to figure out if I was local or not, Im Irish, live in Tramore but have an English accent.

While he is talking to me he is eyeballing the contents of my van over my shoulder, I have a camper , kitted out.

He repeatedly asked me if I was on my own here. Then he starts smiling at me and telling me he is the the boxing club, As he was stepping nearer to my Dog.

Before he could react, I grabbed the Husky, literally threw here in the air into the back of the van, poor thing did not know what was happening.

I had myself and the dog in the van and slammed the back doors in his face and drove off, withing about 4 seconds, he was laughing , and swearing at me as I drove off.

He was going to take me Dog initally, when he saw my van, he was about to do me in and take everything. I am absoulty certian of this. Im an old wise dog myself.

I go to this beach often, but never again. .

A certian group of folks like to frolic lovingly with thier ponies daily on this beach. He was from that group.
    This is Saleens Beach Waterford. Be very very carefull with your dogs on that beach.

I think the multiple crisies we are in is effecting a certian group also and they are getting pretty bloody brazen.

This is my third negative encounter this year. My blood is boiling.

Absolute disgrace has happened to you.

It's not the first time the girls have been mentioned.

It is no surprise the kids turn out like that, when they are being coached from an early age to behave in such a manner

Absolute disgrace has happened to you.

It's not the first time the girls have been mentioned.

It is no surprise the kids turn out like that, when they are being coached from an early age to behave in such a manner

Thanks Katie, so these individual wee girls / family on this beach has already been noticed?? Wow , things are worse than I thought.

The inaction/unwillingness of the authorities to do ANYTHING has me seriously considering how I will defend myself, Ill buy pepper spray online etc, I know its illegal, but the state cannot protect me and mine, so they can shove that stupid pepper spray law you know where.

I want to be able to defend myself and be able to escape. This is happening more and more. I never though I'd feel this unsafe in Ireland.

Im with my Dog 24/7 now, and watch her like a hawk, over my dead body will anyone take her.

• Advertisement

Thanks Katie, so these individual wee girls / family on this beach has already been noticed?? Wow , things are worse than I thought.

They were not mentioned on the beach, but have been mentioned lifting dogs over walls, one holding something to a dogs face etc.
    One has reddish hair I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 4,803 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Ye have no business interacting with these pond rats.ye are sitting there answering questions that a guard wouldn’t ask you.
    Away to fcuk they need to be told.
    “Where did you get the doggy boss?”
    Who the fcuk wants to know is a good response.
    Or else ignore the fcukin layabouts or just keep saying I don’t know.

Ye have no business interacting with these pond rats.ye are sitting there answering questions that a guard wouldn’t ask you.

Look big man, I can handle myself but this was a bare knuckle boxer 15 odd years younger than me, I know my limits.

I was not having a nice chat with him or induldging him , I knew what was happening straight away. I was waiting for the right moment to grab the dog and leg it. I was cornerd and out of sight of public. I did exactly the righ thing in the right way.
    I did thr uber polite English Accent thing, which threw him off for a few moments.

If I had said nothing or got arsey, I would have no dog and no van right now. You sound like you never had a real fistfight.

Look big man, I can handle myself but this was a bare knuckle boxer 15 odd years younger than me, I know my limits.

I was not having a nice chat with him or induldging him , I knew what was happening straight away. I was waiting for the right moment to grab the dog and leg it. I was cornerd and out of sight of public. I did exactly the righ thing in the right way.
    I did thr uber polite English Accent thing, which threw him off for a few moments.

If I had said nothing or got arsey, I would have no dog and no van right now. You sound like you never had a real fistfight.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

All them cable ties + chalk markings are probably the work of bored shower of **** driving around for some excitment during lockdown. All the covid related scams are all deleted from social media so this is the latest thing to look out for

man....it's too funny. As much as i do agree dogs are being stolen i have to laugh at some of the hysterical side shows. In my town it's people (karens i believe they are called now) shouting about finding rocks at their gate signifying their dog will be stolen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,803 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

You’re the only one mentioned fighting.maybe he was just being a nosey fcuker and has all the time in the world for talking sh1te. All I’m saying is I wouldn’t be sitting there answering questions that a guard wouldn’t ask you.
    Maybe your already paranoid from listening to too much of the cable tie talk.
    Maybe your overthinking the whole thing.
    He could have just been a waffler.
    How did you know he’s a bare knuckle boxer?did he give you his business card?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,729 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I had 3 dogs stolen before Christmas about 6 years ago, was feeling depressed/sad for a month over it, reading stories of dogs being stolen for dog baiting didn't help. Didn't enjoy Christmas that year.

You’re the only one mentioned fighting.maybe he was just being a nosey fcuker and has all the time in the world for talking sh1te. All I’m saying is I wouldn’t be sitting there answering questions that a guard wouldn’t ask you.
    Maybe your already paranoid from listening to too much of the cable tie talk.
    Maybe your overthinking the whole thing.
    He could have just been a waffler.
    How did you know he’s a bare knuckle boxer?did he give you his business card?

6'4 plus ,very recently broken nose , two black eyes, zero medical attention given to these injuries, shirt off, massive gut. And he said he was a boxer . Did you read my post at all at all?

Because I felt an immediate physical threat to my safety. I hate fighting. It just sounds to me like you have no street smarts of have not been in dodgy situations before, going on your proposed reation.

But , your just trolling for the lolz I think. Only on boards would I get this idiotic shiote to a very clear post, this is why I barely post here any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭anewme

6'4 plus ,very recently broken nose , two black eyes, zero medical attention given to these injuries, shirt off, massive gut. And he said he was a boxer . Did you read my post at all at all?

Because I felt an immediate physical threat to my safety. I hate fighting. It just sounds to me like you have no street smarts of have not been in dodgy situations before, going on your proposed reation.

But , your just trolling for the lolz I think. Only on boards would I get this idiotic shiote to a very clear post, this is why I barely post here any more.

you are on the wrong thread unfortunately. Despite numerous people confirming their properties were marked....the masterminds here think it is just Karens exaggerating conspiracy stuff. Tell that to the girl who found her 7 month old GSD dead yesterday after he was stolen from their property.

just a few minutes ago I read of a woman who spotted a woman in a silver car chalking her 2 gates. It's not bird ****e, its not kids. There is a funeral in the area and the thieves think people will be distracted or not home.

The child distraction is a common tactic, not just used by this one family, but rather the whole lot of them involved in this.

You are speaking to people here who clearly do not know what is going on around them so you are right, zero common sense. So you 100% did the right thing, or your dog, or van or both would have been taken from in front of you. No use standing your ground with no dog or van.

If you see them approach you again, just go away and ring the gardai immediately. Get a photo of them if safe to do so. Be careful you do not end up isolated and they dont know where you live so that is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Only on boards would I get this idiotic shiote to a very clear post, this is why I barely post here any more.

Some forums have less of it and are more Community based, but your point is very valid. Many quality posters leave and then that shoite is all that's left.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Towns and villages in rural ireland are easy pickings for these traveller gangs , most towns in rural Ireland have no garda station or some token coverage . Any good gang would get 6 or 7 dogs handy enough in a day .

Chances of been caught are very very low and free legal aid solicitors will get them off or some small fine after they tell a few yarns about their difficult upbringing in the unlikely event of been caught .

LuasSimon wrote: »
    Towns and villages in rural ireland are easy pickings for these traveller gangs , most towns in rural Ireland have no garda station or some token coverage . Any good gang would get 6 or 7 dogs handy enough in a day .

Chances of been caught are very very low and free legal aid solicitors will get them off or some small fine after they tell a few yarns about their difficult upbringing in the unlikely event of been caught .

They are recently a local woman was accosted by a couple driving a quasquai while out walking her dogs. There have been a few dogs stolen here recently, it's actually at the point I no longer walk my dogs and they are not allowed out by themselves for even a minute.

Cctv etc is no good to me I would be heartbroken if they were taken.

He's the guards have retrieved some dogs etc but they are not prosecuting anyone. They caught people putting tags on gates recently with fake Reg plates, irish on front and uk on the back,

Why are they not doing anything, it doesn't make sense

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I live in a part of Naas which seems to be targeted by dog thieves.

They are using drones. Several reports including video footage on local fb pages.

One flew over my garden a couple of weeks ago during a hot spell. I was sitting out in my garden and it went right over my head. Pretty low too. I don't own a dog thankfully. For this exact reason.

Dogs have been going missing from secure gardens around here for years but lately it seems to have worsened.

My heart goes out to anyone who's dog goes missing. It must be torture.

xzanti wrote: »
    I live in a part of Naas which seems to be targeted by dog thieves.

They are using drones. Several reports including video footage on local fb pages.

One flew over my garden a couple of weeks ago during a hot spell. I was sitting out in my garden and it went right over my head. Pretty low too. I don't own a dog thankfully. For this exact reason.

Dogs have been going missing from secure gardens around here for years but lately it seems to have worsened.

My heart goes out to anyone who's dog goes missing. It must be torture.

Its causing me a lot of worry. I read about it a lot online, and then it happened to me. This is real and on a large scale right now.

I am baffeled that this carry on is tolerated by that authorities apparently, PC sensitivities no doubt. The system is on the Dog thieves side, we are on our own.
    Yet I cannot have pepper spray to defend my own. WHY NOT?? Non leathel and these scumbags would think twice if they knew that folks had a deterrent.

Our dogs are easy pickings. We are sheep with no sheepdog. The wolves are lauging at us.

Do we need to start banding together ourselves to stop this??? Im mean FFS, why do I pay tax to a state who cannot keep basic law and order, yet I am not allowed to defend myself in any manner.

I am at the point where the State of Ireland, the Garda , the law can go **** itself, they have broken the contract to serve / protect us. I am looking into how to protect myself, in a non leathel manner, and if a Garda catches me with it, well Ill stand up in court and explain why I felt the need to have a method to protect myself, without regret. This is a joke at this stage.

What is happening to our country lads?? I feel like we being screwed on all sides constatly and no one is looking out for us.

Apolgies for negative tone, Im just mad as hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭MaccaTacca

Genuine question, why would a dog thief mark your wall or house? Surely it would just give the game away and there's so many easier ways of keeping track of locations, i.e. on your phone or a Google maps pin.

anewme wrote: »
    you are on the wrong thread unfortunately. Despite numerous people confirming their properties were marked....the masterminds here think it is just Karens exaggerating conspiracy stuff. Tell that to the girl who found her 7 month old GSD dead yesterday after he was stolen from their property.

just a few minutes ago I read of a woman who spotted a woman in a silver car chalking her 2 gates. It's not bird ****e, its not kids. There is a funeral in the area and the thieves think people will be distracted or not home.

The child distraction is a common tactic, not just used by this one family, but rather the whole lot of them involved in this.

You are speaking to people here who clearly do not know what is going on around them so you are right, zero common sense. So you 100% did the right thing, or your dog, or van or both would have been taken from in front of you. No use standing your ground with no dog or van.

If you see them approach you again, just go away and ring the gardai immediately. Get a photo of them if safe to do so. Be careful you do not end up isolated and they dont know where you live so that is good.

Thank again for the kind words. My post in Animals has been deleted in order to protect Ethnic Minorities. That just says it all.

Mind your doggos , no one cares about them except you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

MaccaTacca wrote: »
    Genuine question, why would a dog thief mark your wall or house? Surely it would just give the game away and there's so many easier ways of keeping track of locations, i.e. on your phone or a Google maps pin.

We are talking about people here who can barely read or write....

MaccaTacca wrote: »

Different marks are meant to mean different things.
    In the past people used say a mark would have meant dog in house so don't burgle it another mark meant there was stuff worth stealing in it.
    However as I posted earlier people were reacting to stickers the ESB put on their boxes. Another lady posted that her stone wall had been chalked recently and the mark is on google street view a few years ago also. These people are making the stories less credible for the cases when people are out to steal stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Different marks are meant to mean different things.
    In the past people used say a mark would have meant dog in house so don't burgle it another mark meant there was stuff worth stealing in it.
    However as I posted earlier people were reacting to stickers the ESB put on their boxes. Another lady posted that her stone wall had been chalked recently and the mark is on google street view a few years ago also. These people are making the stories less credible for the cases when people are out to steal stuff.

Give us a breakdown of the different marks? Just so I'll know what to be aware of .

• Advertisement

Give us a breakdown of the different marks? Just so I'll know what to be aware of .

I don't know but they are all meant to mean different things but it seems to change over time.

Advertisement