Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are dogs being stolen in your area?

Options

Comments

Anyone buying an animal from such channels is as big a scumbag as the ones taking them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭anewme

buried wrote: »
    lol you've got concern for "rural people" yeah? We got bigger problems out in rural Ireland than a few pets going missing man, so you are the one who hasn't a clue

Your constant lol is weird for an adult, MAN.

No MAN, you are away with the fairies on this, yeah?

Not sure why you would put rural people in inverted comments.

You are clearly very closed off to the topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

A poster in another thread said it's only a matter of time until some vigilante does similar to what was done down the country in relation to trespassing and intimidation in the 2000s - the more widespread this becomes, the more people will prepare to defend themselves and their dogs. And I'm not one to condone violence but if the law isn't stopping these thefts, sometimes justice is delivered on the streets by other means.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

4 dogs found by the guards in a traveler camp in co kildare two weeks ago .. a couple were stolen from Tullamore and I think they had them advertised on done deal ..
    So definitely has increased in certain locations and seemingly huge money changing hands even for the likes of Jack Russells ..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

LuasSimon wrote: »
    Your not very clued in as to what’s going on ... normally a member of an Irish ethnic group drives round houses on the outskirts of a town or village during the day when many people at work , calls to a few houses looking for directions etc . If there’s no one round the dog if it’s of certain breeds and young can be lifted , if someone there mark the house with cable ties for other members to call in the coming 24 hours . When you have gathered 5/6 dogs another relation will bring them to the head man who will have them over in Wales or east England the following day by boat . The original dog catcher will get one or two hundred per dog , handy money on top of your dole every week .
    But why would anyone bother nowadays with some noticeable mark when you could just take a photo??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,681 ✭✭✭buried

anewme wrote: »
    No MAN, you are away with the fairies on this, yeah?

No I'm actually not, until I see some sort of actual crime dognapping incidents right in my area where there are countless numbers of dogs running around all day every day, then I might start to believe this hype noise that this is some sort of major problem. My local area is laden with dogs running about, so these dastardly criminals mustn't be too bright or they would have scoped out this place eons ago. As I said, we got bigger, actual problems out here.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

G'way ta f**k with that sanctimonious wankery man, I have "zero awareness" of it because I'm not on the same social media hype fear fest facebook noise that will amplify one or two dogs going missing as a new crime wave epidemic being waged across the country. I had some gadge last week tried to force me into buying a stolen generator from his van, but I won't be on here trying to claim this is some sort of new crime wave epidemic that we all need to lose our collective $hit over. Bad things happen, but they are small scale.

From the first page, you have attacked this essentially as fake. There are a wealth or reports across the country of this happening. Now **** off and do your own research.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

Anyone buying an animal from such channels is as big a scumbag as the ones taking them.

Yes, but by the time it finds it way to England, it’s posted up as “we’re moving abroad and have to sell our beloved pet, or whatever..,people don’t always know until it’s too late.

Same with puppy farm industry. Dogs kept in filthy conditions, bred til they die young,p. One place keeps them in boxes, with no lights and automatic Feeders, so no human contact, then the little cavachons, labradoodles etc, are cleaned up and brought to a friend/relatives house for show and sold as treasured offspring of the family pet. It’s a disgusting, lucrative business, with no morals And a lot of unethical practices.

https://www.ispca.ie/news/detail/update_cavan_co._council_releases_statement_on_puppy_farm_featured_on_bbc_p

Not sure why you would put rural people in inverted comments.

Because you quoted that "rural people" should be concerned about a few dogs going missing up in the east of the country. As I've said, we in rural Ireland have far bigger problems to contend with.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

All them cable ties + chalk markings are probably the work of bored shower of **** driving around for some excitment during lockdown. All the covid related scams are all deleted from social media so this is the latest thing to look out for

• Advertisement

harr wrote: »
    4 dogs found by the guards in a traveler camp in co kildare two weeks ago .. a couple were stolen from Tullamore and I think they had them advertised on done deal ..
    So definitely has increased in certain locations and seemingly huge money changing hands even for the likes of Jack Russells ..

2 dogs stolen from Laois/ Offaly found in a horsebox on an encampment on Friday.

Roadblock set up today by Laois / Offaly Gardai and dog warden they will be doing these on an ad hoc basis.

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    From the first page, you have attacked this essentially as fake. There are a wealth or reports across the country of this happening. Now **** off and do your own research.

I have done it, and none of it is happening around me. One or two dogs going missing somewhere else isn't on my list of concerns. I've far bigger $hit to **** off and research

Because you quoted that "rural people" should be concerned about a few dogs going missing up in the east of the country. As I've said, we in rural Ireland have far bigger problems to contend with.

The dogs are not just going missing in the East of the Country.

I never said that.

Rural areas throughout Irelsnd are more impacted because the dogs are often stolen from the homes are more isolated , which have easier access than a housing estate.

Galway, Ballinasloe, Cavan, Mayo, Limerick Mullingar, Cork, Wexford, Waterford, Tipperary all hugely impacted, as is NI.

The dogs are not going missing in the East of the Country.

I never said that.

Rural areas throughout Irelsnd are more impacted because the dogs are often stolen from the homes are more isolated , which have easier access than a housing estate.

Galway, Ballinasloe, Cavan, Mayo, Limerick Mullingar, Cork, Wexford, Waterford, Tipperary all hugely impacted, as is NI.

Where are you seeing this Anewme? I live in that area and know for a fact that this is not a problem, so where are you hearing that it is? Seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭HBC08

LuasSimon wrote: »
    Your not very clued in as to what’s going on ... normally a member of an Irish ethnic group drives round houses on the outskirts of a town or village during the day when many people at work , calls to a few houses looking for directions etc . If there’s no one round the dog if it’s of certain breeds and young can be lifted , if someone there mark the house with cable ties for other members to call in the coming 24 hours . When you have gathered 5/6 dogs another relation will bring them to the head man who will have them over in Wales or east England the following day by boat . The original dog catcher will get one or two hundred per dog , handy money on top of your dole every week .

The cable tie/marking thing makes no sense as I said in my post.
    You've just laid out the same thing I said but think that it is happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Haven't heard anything local to me, if someone hops my wall to get one of my dogs they'd be lucky to leave with one of their arms or legs intact

• Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭HBC08

Somebody I know posted a picture of a nail hammered into his wall as evidence that his dog was being targeted to be dognapped.
    The nail was covered in rust and was most likely there for 20+years.
    Didnt stop loads of comments about how terrible this new urban myth is,I think people are getting more stupid.

HBC08 wrote: »
    Somebody I know posted a picture of a nail hammered into his wall as evidence that his dog was being targeted to be dognapped.
    The nail was covered in rust and was most likely there for 20+years.
    Didnt stop loads of comments about how terrible this new urban myth is,I think people are getting more stupid.

People are being fed and conditioned to lose their minds over ridiculous nonsense that doesn't matter instead of being more aware of the actual crimes that should matter to them.

Where are you seeing this Anewme? I live in that area and know for a fact that this is not a problem, so where are you hearing that it is? Seriously.

30th June Bree, elderly Beagle stolen from Clonfert, still missing, owners heartbroken.
    30th July elderly dog stolen from New Inn area, still missing
    9th July Cookie, tiny Yorkshire terrier taken from driveway in a silver car by a child who called over dog. Dog owner saw vehicle, suspects identified, Gardai slow to act and let suspects move on as they said they did take the dog, but they put it back.
    3rd July Scooby and Dora stolen from their homes in Ballinasloe. Not returned.

That's the tip of it, the obvious ones.

You dont want to see it as a problem though.

As you say, you've bigger problems. But many people see their dog as family member and are hesrtbrokem by these crimes. Each and every one of the names above leaves a devastated family.

Brandy from Trim was found in Ballyfermot yesterday after 4 weeks. I defy anyone to read the posts put up by his owner and not empathise with this 85 year old man and his son, who have vowed to fight on for the others.

Cable ties on property near me this weekend. Brazen enough to do it during the day too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Over the past few weeks I have seen a lot of stuff on social media about dogs been stolen social media.
    Mainly people are posting pictures of every car that stops near their has and says they are out to steel dogs.
    I have read that the Gardai found dogs, given them back to people but dogs are sometimes stolen I will admit that or has it become very wide spread over the past few weeks?
    The main thing that makes me a bit skeptical of it becoming wide spread in the past few weeks is those who are sharing it on social media, taking peoples pictures and sharing it online are always a bit hyper about things.(The main in the van is kidnapping all the children).

Are dogs been stolen in your area?

Yes, dogs have been stolen, and are being stolen.

30th June Bree, elderly Beagle stolen from Clonfert, still missing, owners heartbroken.
    30th July elderly dog stolen from New Inn area, still missing
    9th July Cookie, tiny Yorkshire terrier taken from driveway in a silver car by a child who called over dog. Dog owner saw vehicle, suspects identified, Gardai slow to act as they had moved in.
    3rd July Scooby and Dora stolen from their homes in Ballinasloe. Not returned.

That's the tip of it, the obvious ones.

You dont want to see it as a problem though.

As you say, you've bigger problems. But many people see their dog as family member and are devastated by these crimes.

Where are you getting these reports from though, not saying it isn't true, I just want the link you are getting these from. And it is bad for them, no doubt, I've had cat's disappear from my house too, a good few of them were old and went off to die, maybe some just wandered off, maybe some were stolen or eaten, but at the end of that day, I have more pressing stuff to contend with like where my next paycheck will come from out here where actual real crime goes on, both criminally and economically.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Cable ties on property near me this weekend. Brazen enough to do it during the day too.

Brazen and braindead. To get out of a car and throw a cable tie on a property to mark it when you have Google maps and eircodes is just mind boggling stupidity. These dog thieves aren't criminal masterminds anyways.

I think people are allowing themselves to believe this cable tie and house marking rubbish because it's the latest over dramatic shíte to hit Facebook.

Where are you getting these reports from though, not saying it isn't true, I just want the link you are getting these from. And it is bad for them, no doubt, I've had cat's disappear from my house too, a good few of them were old and went off to die, maybe some just wandered off, maybe some were stolen or eaten, but at the end of that day, I have more pressing stuff to contend with like where my next paycheck will come from out here where actual real crime goes on, both criminally and economically.

I’ve posted the link about the Wexford dog and the Garda press release. Here’s the Trim story:

https://www.thatsfarming.com/news/85-year-old-farmer-reunited-with-stolen-dog

I’m one of those people who would be tormented if my family member (dog) was stolen and would do just about anything to get her back. It’s the not knowing that destroys people, tormented as to the fate of their loyal, beloved family pet.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/distraught-owner-two-stolen-dogs-22419233

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Cable ties would be invisible at night...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

There seems to be a level of histeria when a dog goes missing for the night lately. I'd to collect my dog from the pound once when he escaped from our secure home for a bitch in heat. I've also heard that some dogs are being used as bait and having their mouths stitched?? I hope this ain't true.

There seems to be a level of histeria when a dog goes missing for the night lately. I'd to collect my dog from the pound once when he escaped from our secure home for a bitch in heat. I've also heard that some dogs are being used as bait and having their mouths stitched?? I hope this ain't true.

Don’t know about mouths stitched.

Certainly having muzzles superglued to their faces to drop them barking.

This is believed to be a tactic to get them to UK by Ferry.

Daisy, the dog that had her microchip hacked out had a muzzle superglued to her face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Cable ties would be invisible at night...

Well there has been a sudden surge in cable ties placed outside gates of houses and farm yards in our area in the last number of weeks, ironicly enough where the home owner owns a dog

I imagine most of the dogs would be snatched in daylight, given the fact these brazen pricks are driving in around people's property in broad daylight

Advertisement