Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

irelands fittest family

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Sam Hain wrote: »
    Kathryn Thomas is such a dose.

Anna Geary is such a dose. A victim of over exposure at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

If you win this, you are not the fittest family in Ireland, no way, you are the family with possibly the best ability to clamber through muck and ****e, hang from things and pull each other over tall stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

That first event was the worst , such a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Anna Geary is such a dose. A victim of over exposure at this stage

Cannot stand her. So false.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Defaulter1831

If you win this, you are not the fittest family in Ireland, no way, you are the family with possibly the best ability to clamber through muck and ****e, hang from things and pull each other over tall stuff.

And what's your definition of fit? A gym show pony with no stamina, mental strength, aerobic finess, general toughness?

• Advertisement

Picking croke park for the final was a bad idea. Hamstrung them in events they could do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

I thought it was very harsh on the Finnegan-Hogans. Fair enough the guy 'cheated' in that first race, but they were all at it and the crowd that came last finished last by a mile so I don't think it made any difference to the result. (Tbh it was a fairly stupid race, what difference would it have made if they came down using only their upper body so long as they didn't require assistance from the support rope). If they weren't docked that point, they would've got through and I think they could've gone on to win it given that the Coneys would've replaced them in that first eliminator.

If I was being cynical, I'd suggest that Davy had the whole thing rigged in his team's favour. The first eliminator was a straight run event, which obviously played to his teams strengths. The second eliminator was hang tough, which was the other event that his team came out top of the pile.

I was delighted when his team lost with all his antics and screaming (although I felt sorry for the family themselves, as much for having to put up with him as much as for losing)

I thought it was very harsh on the Finnegan-Hogans. Fair enough the guy 'cheated' in that first race, but they were all at it and the crowd that came last finished last by a mile so I don't think it made any difference to the result. (Tbh it was a fairly stupid race, what difference would it have made if they came down using only their upper body so long as they didn't require assistance from the support rope). If they weren't docked that point, they would've got through and I think they could've gone on to win it given that the Coneys would've replaced them in that first eliminator.

If I was being cynical, I'd suggest that Davy had the whole thing rigged in his team's favour. The first eliminator was a straight run event, which obviously played to his teams strengths. The second eliminator was hang tough, which was the other event that his team came out top of the pile.

I was delighted when his team lost with all his antics and screaming (although I felt sorry for the family themselves, as much for having to put up with him as much as for losing)

Watch again. An awful lot of time was used trying to place your feet. The Finnegan Hogan's had 2 that seriously offended.

Also this crack of challenges. Every family has ones that suit and don't suit them.

The hardest done by were the Lawlors after winning 2 events and then they're weakest challenge, due to body mass came at the wrong time.

Ah the Finnegan Hogan's were, based on what we saw, by a distance the worst cheaters

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Picking croke park for the final was a bad idea. Hamstrung them in events they could do

Yeah thought the same myself. Actually the Hell and Back course in the semi finals was far longer and more difficult than the course for the final in Croke Park. The Hell and Back course was 800m in length and had 3 X 3m walls to get over whereas Croker was just under 300m in length and only had one 3m high wall to climb. No doubt the producers wanted the final in Croker for the final TV spectactle but the venue did limit the difficuly of the course somewhat.

Overall it was an exciting final, nail biting and so close at the end. I was happy for the family from Tyrone, especially the mother doing that and winning on her 60th birthday. She was an absoliute trooper and got them through to the final with a huge time in Hang Tough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,487 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Totally agree and can't understand why they they used Croke Park.
    It ruined the event for me.

Brilliant final I thought, - so close! It's great entertainment. I'll miss it now that it's over.
    All set for the dancing after Christmas :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Ah the Finnegan Hogan's were, based on what we saw, by a distance the worst cheaters

Absolutely, it gained them a massive advantage, I think the pinks would have beaten them but for it

Lawlor’s were very unlucky that their worst event was a straight eliminator

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 428 ✭✭JohnCreedon81

Was gutted for the Laois family, so so close! Brilliant this year though, hope it continues.

The events could definitely have been more balanced and fairer, but it made for some great entertainment which is the name of the game.

Anna’s bum still the star of the show :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

And what's your definition of fit? A gym show pony with no stamina, mental strength, aerobic finess, general toughness?

It'd be great if Sam Hain came back with a response... but I'm not holding my breath!

It'd be great if Sam Hain came back with a response... but I'm not holding my breath!

I think dastardly that a lot of people don't realise what real stamina and fitness is.

They have an image in their mind. Doing a few reps, then going on to your mobile phone, having a gawk at how lovely you are in the mirror, moving on to your bench press X 3 complete with more phone checks. Then maybe having a cycle on an exercise bike at the end of your routine for 20 min at 130bpm heart rate. Coming out after 2 hours thinking your God's gift. That's not fitness, that doesn't reveal or test character. That's low intensity.

You might be physically strong, you might have a 6 pack, you might not be carrying much fat. You can plonk your arms down on the bar and the bulges are all in the right places but you are not fit. You never leave your comfort zone. You're training is one dimensional.

Does our poster realise how much aerobic fitness is required to get through bog, plus leg strength? Again scaling a wall involves your arms, legs and people forget a strong core.. Hanging from a bar..the mental strength required to eke out every last second on that bar and suffer through pain. The will power to keep going when lactic acid takes over your muscles.

Look around a gym, not everyone, but most are taking huge breathing gaps between sets. And then grunting as if they're shifting heaven and earth. The Davorens were the most physically strong team propably ever in IFF. Yet they were beaten on a fire engine pull by a team half their size. Why? They ran out of steam, stamina, aerobic endurance..call it what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

What a great final in fairness. Its a pity its over for another year it really is a great show.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 28,381 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Yamanoto wrote: »
    I honestly cannot fathom how this sh1te appeals to anyone, though it clearly holds the attention of a fair few.

To have Davy Fitzgerald shriek at you as you traverse a muddy pool in the arse-end of nowhere would only pass as entertainment, if you could get out & pursue him through the woods in an attempt to catch & strangle him.

Tell you what, why don't you pop off and take your team to win an all-Ireland final or two, then go and build a TV series that survives for more than five years, and then you can compare notes with Davy on techniques.

What a great final in fairness. Its a pity its over for another year it really is a great show.

Super family viewing - very relatable, really positive role models (compared to Love Island or Kardashians or similar). It has been mandatory family viewing in our house since it started.

A friend was looking for merchandise as both her kids asked for Fittest Family stuff from Santy.

And then it gets a nasty, cynical, trying-so-hard to be cool from this sneering git

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/tv-radio-web/ireland-s-fittest-family-a-mind-numbing-series-draws-to-a-close-1.3733860

• Registered Users Posts: 18,394 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Super family viewing - very relatable, really positive role models (compared to Love Island or Kardashians or similar). It has been mandatory family viewing in our house since it started.

A friend was looking for merchandise as both her kids asked for Fittest Family stuff from Santy.

And then it gets a nasty, cynical, trying-so-hard to be cool from this sneering git

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/tv-radio-web/ireland-s-fittest-family-a-mind-numbing-series-draws-to-a-close-1.3733860

Agree with all of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,487 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

this programme is a huge success and not very expensive to make.
    Expect RTE to run this at least three times a year now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,394 ✭✭✭✭kippy

They haven't done it so far so I doubt they will do it now!

It's been running for six years. RTE run it once a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Excellent point about the two girls. Really strong role models. The little girl from last year that fell in the final was unbelievable too but very relatable.
    I see my nieces and nephews all talking about being on it when they grow up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭De Bhál

exciting finale. The final push to get up that ramp was great. Other family could've just have easily won it if they had made it work that first attempt on it.

Great show. Not too many shows the whole family can enjoy together.

My only criticism is the camerawork is a bit jumpy and all over the place and a makes it a bit difficult at times to know where people are in relation to one another.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 428 ✭✭JohnCreedon81

De Bhál wrote: »
    exciting finale. The final push to get up that ramp was great. Other family could've just have easily won it if they had made it work that first attempt on it.

Great show. Not too many shows the whole family can enjoy together.

My only criticism is the camerawork is a bit jumpy and all over the place and a makes it a bit difficult at times to know where people are in relation to one another.

They even had a second attempt! I'd say Davy was furious with himself as he rushed her when he saw the others fail. If she had set herself they'd have probably won, as the other team failed again on that turn.

The helmet cams need to go. Especially for trials with nets :D The amount of times they get stuck is mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Thud

Davy probably got the tactics wrong, he should have sent the young lad up the ramp instead of having him on top of the wall

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Caught up on the final tonight, great viewing as always. The only show on RTE that it a must watch for me. Well edited and enjoyable viewing especially when you can ff the add breaks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

The helmet cams need to go. Especially for trials with nets :D The amount of times they get stuck is mental.

Haha Ive always thought that the obstacles and courses they are racing on are hard enough without having a bloody camera hanging down blocking your view ! Plus your face isnt going be looking its best either during a gritty race, the contestants must have some horrors when they see themselves on TV :D

Advertisement