Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

mystic86 wrote: »
    I don't see any sale items on their website, maybe it's over now, or did you see anything when you were there saying it was in-store only?

In store I would imagine. They are downsizing the shop so were having a massive sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,475 ✭✭✭✭banie01

In my time since 1st becoming "actively" involved in this forum and interested in the mechanical watch aswell as just my Citizen...
    I've gone from owning a very functional and lovely quartz to adding 3 auto's, a hand wind Bund homage(thatI'm still waiting on delivery of) and still want more!

I now even own a 4 place winder ;) and sure i may as well fill it!

Dammit! I'm an actual pensioner/student with a mid-life watch crisis! :pac:
    not at all how i pictured entering my 40's :P

Happy new gear folks ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭micks_address

It's a very slippery slope :)
    banie01 wrote: »
    In my time since 1st becoming "actively" involved in this forum and interested in the mechanical watch aswell as just my Citizen...
    I've gone from owning a very functional and lovely quartz to adding 3 auto's, a hand wind Bund homage(thatI'm still waiting on delivery of) and still want more!

I now even own a 4 place winder ;) and sure i may as well fill it!

Dammit! I'm an actual pensioner/student with a mid-life watch crisis! :pac:
    not at all how i pictured entering my 40's :P

Happy new gear folks ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

It's a very slippery slope :)

Sure is. I came here asking about buying my first Tag. Ended up buying a Steinhart Ocean One.

Since then I've bought 3 more Steinharts, Two Tags, a Speedmaster, a Longines and 3 Seikos. I'm not nearly finished with watches I want (which is basically everyting :P )

• Moderators Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭Spocker

oxocube wrote: »
    Sure is. I came here asking about buying my first Tag. Ended up buying a Steinhart Ocean One.

Since then I've bought 3 more Steinharts, Two Tags, a Speedmaster, a Longines and 3 Seikos. I'm not nearly finished with watches I want (which is basically everyting :P )
    Assimilation Complete!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »

Jaysus!
    That's a great photo, and illustrates what time meant not so long ago.

Funnily enough, my wife wears an activity tracker in the same place ;)
    No jewellery or wristwatches allowed in her job, (medical devices manufacturing and engineering)
    So she wears hers on her ankle, although it's clattered me on the ear more than once :P

On another watch related note.
    I may have created an accidental beautiful monster.
    Friend was over yesterday for lunch and some TV sport marathons.

Anyway he was wearing a Black Explorer 2, which was much smaller than I expected it to be...
    I "borrowed" it for a little while but he has a tiny wrist, so it wasn't a comfy fit.

An idea then struck me and I swapped the watch onto my silicone Sinn strap!
    Creating the Sinex ;) :pac:

Never thought to take any photos but I'll chance it again next week and take some pics.

To my eye, it went really nicely with the black dial and set off the watch nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

Just trying to catch up on reading some of the threads from the last two weeks. I have been mostly wearing my Tisell explorer/905ex and a citizen BN0191.
    @unkel how have you found the Tisell?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

Didn't wanna start a new thread, but wondered if anyone had any advice in relation to leather NATO straps and where to buy? I don't mind spending a few quid for a good one. Ideally black leather, or a v dark grey. 22mm width. Thanks!

The watchfinder Rolex Daytona v Fake video was an eye opener for many of us here, particularly if people hadn't been aware of the "quality" of some the the fakes available.

TC was probably the trend setter in near perfection and went legit with Ginault.
    The fake 4130 movement from what I've read can even interchange gen parts but they are tells particularly with the dial spacings.

Rolex in general compared to other makes tend to be more faked as they have simpler construction.

This new video from Watchfinder is a real eye-opener IMO.
    The Daytona was interesting, this Seamster one is Shocking!
    A co-axial movement fully cloned? Would make one wonder how much of the cases and other parts are being made in China if the fakes can do this so well.
    [URL][/url]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

Watched this recently, he shows off the fake rolex movement that was made look like a real one.

funkyouup wrote: »
    Watched this recently, he shows off the fake rolex movement that was made look like a real one.

There are a slew of "cloned" Rolex movements now that can have genuine parts swapped in.

I've said it before, but the sheer ingenuity and quality of work being put into some of the fakes is staggering.

It must be terrifying to be spending big money on non AD or Jeweller purchases at the mo.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Good channel that. I loved his reviews of the two Vostoks. Like a couple of watchmakers I've talked to down the years he was very impressed with the no frills Russian movement.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

He has a great selection of content, have you seen this one? He make a fishing lure from a fake rolex, actually catches fish with it and gives a break down on the automatic part from a real rolex and other random information thrown in to:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Start checking any empty boxes that may be laying about!
    https://youtu.be/ATAudjynAi0

• Registered Users Posts: 10,222 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

Apologize for not being more active on here,still very interested in watches and do enjoy keeping up to date on here. 50 Years ago this month at the Suwa factory of Seiko in Japan, a watch was born....

heFu1Gs.jpg

:o:) ,also have it 3 years in November,how time files :rolleyes:

Last Thursday evening i was looking through Ebay listings for Omega Mariner to check pricing, found this one that sold under €300 last Novemeber [LINK]. I found one in Germany with a staring bid €389 and no offers and was going to make a offer when the starting bid increased to €450 :rolleyes:. Always really liked Zodiac so staring looking through listings and stopped when i saw this, Zodiac alarm watch from 1975 [LINK],Really liked it with the blue dial and being complete with the bracelet with a staring bid of €280. I wasn't aware they even made one like it with an alarm. I started doing some research finding some that went around €200-250 so i made an direct offer of €250 and messaged him would he post to Ireland.Next day thinking i was mad i cancelled the offer,but still was very keen on it. Saturday morning sent him a message asking again about shipping before i bid and i was very interested in the watch.

Got an email by Ebay later saying the auction ended and he accepted a direct offer of €280. I was completely surprised as it was to end on Monday and never expected it to end early. Really liked the watch and was kicking myself for not bidding thinking it was already a great price and afraid i insulted him by offering lower than the starting bid and for cancelling it. Began thinking should i try to hunt for another one ,was going to email the seller to try to learn more about them as there seems to be alot of Zodiac parts listed in France and he posted another Zodiac (Zodiac astrographic ,really nice but €480 :( Also has this lip quartz for €500 [LINK] ).The watch uses a A. Schild AS 5008 movement that winds the alarm automatically instead of manually like with my Bell-Matic the same as the Omega Memomatic and also has hacking. The movement was also used in a Breitling (More information here [LINK] )After doing more research on the movement,found a couple of other watches with very similar case/ dial design that used the same movement.Also found this Longines that may interest someone ;)

gm65-longines-memovox-1.jpg

I wondered if i was actually lucky i missed it as i think i would always questioned if i was too busy looking at the name on the dial rather then it actually being a true Zodiac.I know a lot of watches including the memomatic use other movements but i think in this case i am glad i did not get it and not going to bother looking for another one as definitely better watches out there for the money.

What do you guys think of the watch and how would you compare it with my Bell-Matic?

$_57.JPG

(Different watch as not great on listing)

I think if i was going to look at Zodiac again i would go for something like the sst36000 (The guy i bought my Bell-Matic from is currently selling one [LINK])

Also,gotta love Google translate :D

Df3vJSQ.png

I'm finishing up with my employer officially this month and am lucky enough to be getting an exit package.
    Then it's me officially a medically retired pensioner/student ;)

Not a lot but I have a little bit more to play with that I'm gonna throw at a new watch.

Current rotation is
    Breitling SuperOcean 2
    B&R 03-93 GMT
    Sinn U2 GMT
    Have a HKed Bund homage on the way
    Citizen Promaster JP-3040

I have a jonesing for another GMT, tried on a black Explorer 2, loved it but can in no way afford one.

What's out there that could scratch that itch in the mid 3 figure range?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭micks_address

What's mid 3 figures? 500? If you don't mind hhe homage status a steinhart ocean vintage gmt
    banie01 wrote: »
    I'm finishing up with my employer officially this month and am lucky enough to be getting an exit package.
    Then it's me officially a medically retired pensioner/student ;)

Not a lot but I have a little bit more to play with that I'm gonna throw at a new watch.

Current rotation is
    Breitling SuperOcean 2
    B&R 03-93 GMT
    Have a HKed Bund homage on the way
    Citizen Promaster JP-3040

I have a jonesing for another GMT, tried on a black Explorer 2, loved it but can in no way afford one.

What's out there that could scratch that itch in the mid 3 figure range?

What's mid 3 figures? 500? If you don't mind hhe homage status a steinhart ocean vintage gmt

Yeah in and around €500 is my budget.
    Have spent far more on watches in the last 8 months than I ever planned to...
    I also completely forgot to include my Sinn U2 in the list earlier ;)

The steinhart is a lovely piece, homage status doesn't bother me too much as I have enough gen quirky to not care as long as I like the piece.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Last Thursday evening i was looking through Ebay listings for Omega Mariner to check pricing, found this one that sold under €300 last Novemeber [LINK]. I found one in Germany with a staring bid €389 and no offers and was going to make a offer when the starting bid increased to €450 :rolleyes:.

It's an "interesting" time for vintage stuff. Outside of areas like Hodinkee and Rolex and very sought after models(and even there...)the market is pretty stagnant, with mad dealer prices on stock gathering dust and auction results all over the place, depending on the day and two people vying for the same watch. The Mariners a good example of it. OK the under 300 quid example was an outlier, but if you get lucky... Dealer prices are off the scale. Some well over a 1000. IMHO the true "value" of an Omega Mariner is around the 500 quid mark, add 200 for NOS with box, drop 200 if it comes on a strap.
    Also has this lip quartz for €500 [LINK] ).
    Daft dealer price again. That's a 300 quid watch. The more "iconic" Lip Tallon examples maybe add 200 quid. And you'd be waiting in both cases as they're very niche.
    Also found this Longines that may interest someone ;)
    Nice. Unusual enough too, but I'd say a nice price with it. :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

OmegaGene wrote: »

Can't access this, I live in the middle east and my VPN won't work. Any other places I can get it?

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Use a smart dns instead of a vpn

I have a keepsolid VPN, they offer a DNS service too. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Does anyone know of a site with a catalogue of old Timex watches?

My mother has a watch that belonged to her grandmother that I want to send off to be fixed/serviced for her and I'd like to try get a bit more info in the watch itself.

I realise a service is going to be many multiples of the value of the watch but it's sentimental. She got the watch around the early to mid 1970's and it was because of this watch that she actually learned how to read the time. It was left in a cabinet after her grandmother died and her grandfather told her she could have it if she learned to read the time from it.

Edit: I've been able to find service manuals online for a number of the Timex movements so I might be able to narrow the model down when I get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

It has just been announced the UK TV personality Nicholas Parsons has passed away.

Wouldn't have been terribly aware of him generally, but he made a rather excellent documentary about his favourite watch maker, Louis Breguet, and the watch he spent his life making for one Marie Antoinnette.

Well worth a watch, if you'll excuse the pun.

RIP watch fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Parsons was interviewed on a podcast i listen to recently, was still very funny and quick witted.

Saw one of these in a shop window yesterday, I want one. €1500 on the tag

• Registered Users Posts: 10,222 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Bit of a Neymar (he's a footballer :P) dive but cool story nonetheless.

https://gizmodo.com/watch-this-veteran-collapse-on-antiques-roadshow-when-h-1841273902

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭barrier86

Just came across this on YouTube.

Love a story like this.

https://youtu.be/b9Y4bmbh1KY

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    It has just been announced the UK TV personality Nicholas Parsons has passed away.

Wouldn't have been terribly aware of him generally, but he made a rather excellent documentary about his favourite watch maker, Louis Breguet, and the watch he spent his life making for one Marie Antoinnette.

Well worth a watch, if you'll excuse the pun.

RIP watch fan.

This documentary is on Youtube for those interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭OldRio

Also on BBC4 at 8.00 pm tonight. I've seen it before, it's fascinating and Nicholas Parsons is wonderful.

Advertisement