Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

I like those casios. Would I be able to change the strap for a Nato?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭Ryath

Ryath wrote: »
    Saw one of the new Seiko 5 divers with the SKX007 case last week in Belfast. Tried on the one on mesh. £270 said he'd do it for £240 without me even asking. Really liked the mesh bracelet. Didn't really like the white chapter ring though prefer the black or navy that are all one colour they don't come on mesh though. Still prefer the original SKXs but they are going for silly money now really should have bought one years ago. Will probably wait till these new Seiko 5s are available on creation for less than €200 preferably closer to the €150 mark!
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=494853&stc=1&d=1573310954

See they are starting to drop in price on Amazon Uk Orange on a bracelet is cheapest at about €225 at the minute but some of them have been as low as €200 Have set up price trackers on a few preferred models (Use the Keepa browser extension it's brilliant for amazon you can see price history and compare prices across all amazon regions)

Preferred models are the Pepsi and Navy ones. The one I tried on above is growing on me though. If any get a good discount I'll probably bite. I'm really starting to like the green one SRPD77 with the textured dial the more pictures I see of it.

69074941_2804746782886175_1057218233120945001_n.jpg?_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-2.cdninstagram.com&_nc_cat=111&oh=69accb25e18d04a7266bc4c24aabf125&oe=5E687DCA

Tried on the plain black one in jewellers in Dundalk last week he had this too. The new Seiko 5's are nice but not a patch on this SRPD21K1. Bit over my budget though :(

496900.jpg

They'll probably both end up in the collection but which one first folks?
    I prefer the cream dial. Though I'll often go with a steel-strap version of a watch when the price is close, just on account of how much easier it is to get a leather strap at a later date. Probably the wrong reason to choose something.

I'd vote cream too. I'd think the same about the bracelet too but at this price point it's unlikely to be great. Are they solid links? They actually look fairly well finished unlike the cheaper Seiko's with folded links.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,966 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

shutup wrote: »
    I like those casios. Would I be able to change the strap for a Nato?

You could indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

These look quite good, id have one over those new 5's, decent spec and looks.

https://www.longislandwatch.com/Islander_Watches_s/2006.htm

• Moderators Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Spocker

Not anything super fancy but I really just like the look of these two Casio Edifice watches. I don't have any from that range in my collection as I've never really found a style I liked but I think these two are quite the lookers. They'll probably both end up in the collection but which one first folks?

Another vote for the cream one, it's a much nicer piece

funkyouup wrote: »
    These look quite good, id have one over those new 5's, decent spec and looks.

https://www.longislandwatch.com/Islander_Watches_s/2006.htm

They do look really good probably worth the 100 more, sapphire and ceramic bezel so a nice upgrade. At that price point though I’d go for a prospex I’d sooner have the genuine Seiko I think.

Id probably go for a prospex over one aswell to be fair. The guy behind Long Island watches is a cute hoor, seen a video where he said he knew about the SKX being discontinued from a meeting at Basel World so he had plenty of time to plan it out.
    Doubt id get another Seiko5, the one i have is comming up on a year old and the paint in the bezel markers is falling out from very little wear and the accuracy is all over the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Roycropper63

I seem to be in the minority but I would go blue!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,228 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Kwy8fUR.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

I seem to be in the minority but I would go blue!

I'm a big fan of the blue one. Something about a blue dial that does it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I know it isn't a watch question but some the interest isn't a million miles away from the a watch interest. I love to write with a fountain pen, has anyone ever bought a mont blanc? I am interested in a Meisterstuck in particular. I've just been given a promotion into senior management so want to mark the occasion a little.

https://www.montblanc.com/en-shop/collection/writing-instruments/meisterstueck/106522-meisterstueck-platinum-coated-classique-fountain-pen.html

Also I see Omega have released the new 007 version, beautiful I must say. Love the mesh strap.
    https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/watches/article/omega-seamaster-diver-300m-007-edition

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

I know it isn't a watch question but some the interest isn't a million miles away from the a watch interest. I love to write with a fountain pen, has anyone ever bought a mont blanc? I am interested in a Meisterstuck in particular. I've just been given a promotion into senior management so want to mark the occasion a little.

https://www.montblanc.com/en-shop/collection/writing-instruments/meisterstueck/106522-meisterstueck-platinum-coated-classique-fountain-pen.html

Also I see Omega have released the new 007 version, beautiful I must say. Love the mesh strap.
    https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/watches/article/omega-seamaster-diver-300m-007-edition

As a lefty, I'm in no position to comment, I'd love to be able to write with a fountain pen.

I've not written with a Montblanc but have read about the nibs being scratchy.

Pelikan seem to be highly regarded in the foundation pen world. The M1000 is around the same price as the Montblanc you linked to.

I've wanted a Pelikan for a couple of years now but I don't write in work anywhere near enough for me to justify it. A simple Moonman C1 is what I use on a day to day basis. Huge ink capacity due to it being eye dropper filled and a nice job. Excellent value really.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I'm not a bit fan of Hublot but this looks fake, right?

https://www.thejournal.ie/cars-watch-cash-seized-cab-dublin-4921244-Dec2019/

hitemfrank wrote: »
    I've not written with a Montblanc but have read about the nibs being scratchy.

Pelikan seem to be highly regarded in the foundation pen world. The M1000 is around the same price as the Montblanc you linked to.

I've wanted a Pelikan for a couple of years now but I don't write in work anywhere near enough for me to justify it. A simple Moonman C1 is what I use on a day to day basis. Huge ink capacity due to it being eye dropper filled and a nice job. Excellent value really.

I tested a fine nib MB last week and it was super smooth yet had enough of a scratch which I like as it keeps my writing neat(ish). That said I am using an Oxford one at the moment in work which is fine as I misplaced my other "good" fountain pen, a €30 Lamy during the our recent move abroad. I bought the Lamy on Amazon but didn't really like it, too smooth and slippery. I loved an old parker I had but it gummed up through lack of use for a few years and I can't get the ink to flow through anymore. I don't doubt I'll use it which I can justify but I'd be afraid of losing it or having someone steal it. A family member had a MB ballpoint and it was stolen off their office desk which is playing on my mind. I have a contact in Ireland whom can get me one, I'll see what kind of money he wants before making a decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

I love a fountain pen, and have two old Parkers.
    One is a half steel one from at least the late eighties, with a fine gold nib.
    There other is a full stainless steel from 1992 that was a gift. It has a slightly broader nib than the other one, gold too.
    I use them both every chance I get, steelie at work, other one at home.

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    I love a fountain pen, and have two old Parkers.
    One is a half steel one from at least the late eighties, with a fine gold nib.
    There other is a full stainless steel from 1992 that was a gift. It has a slightly broader nib than the other one, gold too.
    I use them both every chance I get, steelie at work, other one at home.

There is nothing as nice as writing with a good quality pen, a fountain pen is just the epitome of class in my book. I handwrite quite a lot at work and will be in multiple meetings daily so I want something I love to write with. That said a pencil is also really nice to write with but doesn't look very professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

I have a Meisterstuck for about 10yrs.I enjoy writing with it but rarely if ever do. I just can't hold on to pens at work, I wouldn't keep it a week if I brought it in.

Someone gifted me a Parker pen with my name engraved last year. Think I managed to keep it for 4 weeks, so the Montblanc lives at home with not much use.

• Advertisement

I reckon I would mind it enough to not lose it. I have had my parker for 10 years, just a period of non use meant it dried and gummed up. I contacted a pal who can get me one, €815 rrp in Ireland, €575 local to me plus 10% off this week and next. I'd be mad not to!:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,490 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I'm not in the best of form at the mo.
    Health issues have me in an absolute heap at present, had to take an i-grade for a couple of exams this week meaning I will be doing some exams in bloody August :(

Spending a lot of time looking at some watches and wondering if I can pull off a B&R 03-93 GMT or any other weird watches I can't afford ;)
    In my defence, I'm on quite a lot of opiods and may not be best placed to judge aesthetic or finance :pac:

Mix in some alcohol and see where it brings ya:D

I'm a fan of a square case but that's too square for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,490 ✭✭✭✭banie01

funkyouup wrote: »
    Mix in some alcohol and see where it brings ya:D

Been there and drunk on a single drink :pac:

I'm 6 months on OxyContin and other pain relief now and the issue is only worsening.
    In with a new surgeon next week and hoping I can be sliced better ;)

@Frank the square one is catching my eye solely for its quirkiness.
    There is a V2 round version that's a nice enough watch but quite generic, I like a little bit of an oddity sometimes.

Only window shopping tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

albert92 ON adverts at the moment has 50 grand of in demand rolex at the moment. Hulk, Pepsi Jubaliee, Zenith Daytona.......member since 2012, a few other nice watches withdrawn, a bunch of mobile phones and a couple of cars...anyone else suspicious.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

That sounds just a tad suspish alright FG.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

He has receipts for the Pepsi, if Irish bought I believe Keanes only received two, not sure how many weirs got but I would say less than 25 in Ireland? If one was missing you wouldn't be hawking it on adverts.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Jude13 wrote: »
    He has receipts for the Pepsi, if Irish bought I believe Keanes only received two, not sure how many weirs got but I would say less than 25 in Ireland? If one was missing you wouldn't be hawking it on adverts.
    True enough J, though what with all the grey area up to outright fakery around Rolex over the last few years, including fake boxes, bumpf and receipts I'd be wary of anything outside an authorised dealer. That said Ireland is so small a market that you'd imagine such "high end" fakes would be bloody hard to publicly pass off.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

So I have one of these:

497121.JPG

A calibrated Polish Cold War era Geiger counter that can measure gamma and beta radiation(and x rays). A cut above the usual 50 quid on ebay chinesium detectors out there. Built like a brick sh1thouse, housed in bakelite and protected agin EMPs, water resistant to one metre and all that. Measures in roentgens(all the way up to 500Rem :eek: Get out Now!! time) but conversion to seiverts is handy enough. My radium dialled watches await...

Interestingly after a cursory check of a couple of them I found that they're not big gamma emitters, or not as big as I expected, but can be strong beta emitters. When I look online at other people's results with the generally gamma only detectors they get very high readings. I suspect they're picking up the beta. And yep smoke detectors give off the oul radiation. Not much though and all beta from what I can see. Bananas too, but barely above background. And as I suspected early Trench watches are the hottest by a large margin and give off quite a chunk of gamma too.

Advertisement